Since the advent of agriculture, the main predator of humans has been sociopathic humans. There's a huge incentive for humanity to root out sociopaths. Many human social phenomena, such as joking/laughter (https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(17)31102-8 "Reduced Laughter Contagion in Boys at Risk for Psychopathy",) public shows of empathy, etc. were evolved to identify sociopaths. Counter-evolution occurred at the same time along the sociopath germlines: sociopaths developed a kit of tools to combat these investigative mechanisms.
Schizotypism is an adaptive trait intended to combat sociopathy.
- perhaps the defining factor of schizoidism is paranoia, especially towards figures of authority & police forces (which possess extreme concentrations of sociopaths)
- schizoids easily perceive hidden social manipulation schemes, of the kind favored by sociopaths
- schizotypism reporting becomes higher in periods of low public trust towards government
- schizotypism is associated with social withdrawal, which is necessary to avoid contamination by a sociopath-dominated social fabric
- schizoids often report concern for society at large
- enhanced comorbidity of sociopathy and schizotypism is explainable by the socially opposed roles of the two brain anatomies - trying to "breed the enemy out" can lead to long term hybridization
Schizophrenia, the superlative form of schizotypism, can be viewed from this framework as a "social autoimmune disorder" in which the social immune system which evolved to combat sociopathy becomes overactive, and sees sociopathic intent in innocent people - or even thin air.
What do you think?