Would you have been ‘micro aggressed’ if someone asked you this?

Home Forums Science & Tech Would you have been ‘micro aggressed’ if someone asked you this?

• This topic has 78 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

would you have noticed if someone asked you this?

Anonymous

>oh no, somebody hurt my feelings. better cry on social media about it

Anonymous

>her
      why would I ever ask a woman for help in university?
      sorry, not a mathfag, maybe that’s something that happens in math phds

Anonymous

probably helping some kids during office hours or something. generally there is <30% women in the PhD math program here

Anonymous

><30% women
          sounds high.

Anonymous

Who knows, my uni has a math help room type thing with a bunch of tutors, most of them are undergrads so I would have zero idea who’s a PHD student.
          Though if it’s office hours for the class it’s pretty dumb to ask if they’ve even taken it.

Anonymous

>why would I ever ask a woman for help in university?
        To try get pussy, duh

Anonymous

have you ever shared air space with a man? It’s unbearable, I don’t know how you faggots find camaraderie with each other

Anonymous

>
          Oh yeah I’m picking women, that’s way better

Anonymous

>have you ever taken linear algebra?
      >yeah, of course, what do you need help with?
      Wow, so hard.

Anonymous

You don’t understand you priviliged white demigod, YOU CAN’T UNDERSTAND I’M LITERALLY PROTEIN SHAKING

Anonymous

>>have you ever taken linear algebra?
        >>no dipshit i just waltzed my way into a math phd candidacy

Anonymous

Why are women like this?

Anonymous

It’s not specific to women. Pretty much everyone wants you to take a hit to your own pride rather than risk even the slightest cut at theirs. Academia is ruled by fragile egos.

Anonymous

Academia is women failing at being men (this includes the men)

Anonymous

Can you help me with ejaculation?

Anonymous

She’s not wrong you know

Anonymous

Hope she sees this bro

Anonymous

I saw it, and yes, he is getting sex with me later. 😉

Anonymous

Thank you m’lady but a simple penis-flattening will suffice

Anonymous

I’m not prepared to accept "no" as an answer, Sir.

Anonymous

Yes, m’lady

Anonymous

What’s awkward here is that the unspoken assumption in such a question is that she would be able to help, so long as she has actually taken the course

Anonymous

White male here, been asked this before. This is the way the question is usually phrased. Lady sounds like an annoying bitch.

Anonymous

>hey have you ever taken applied thermodynamics?
      >nope
      the struggle continues, I am bound to eventually find someone that has

Anonymous

>have you ever taken
      On my university Linear Algebra is mandatory.

Anonymous

has she ever taken linear algebra though? thats what I want to know

Anonymous

Sounds like a valid question, given that linear algebra is easy while she likes to take things hard.

Anonymous

I would certainly never question whether a woman in STEM received admission to a selective graduate program over a more qualified male

Anonymous

Humble brags really boil my scrotum

Anonymous

>My dick is 15" but I keep peeing outside the toilet
          Well, only woman would get away with it

Anonymous

>im in grad school and the world needs to know

This shit blows my mind, and I get a similar vibe from a lot of lefty grad school Twitter. I’m in grad school too – for mathematics (studying ramsey theory, graph theory, network science, etc.) – and I one level I feel proud, and I feel like I accomplished a lot getting into grad school, and it’s cool to be entering the mathematical community as a young aspiring scholar. At the same time though, I sometimes feel self-conscious in certain respects. I certainly don’t feel the need to advertise myself on Twitter as le STEM PhD intellectual, or make it the heart of my identity like a lot of woke STEM academic Twitter community. And honestly, on some level I feel mildly embarrassed when I tell people that I’m a grad student. It’s sounds very pompous, especially knowing how highly the scientific comunity thinks of itself, especially in neolib circle.
        I just feel weird talking to like an actual working adult. It’s like "What do you do anon?".
        "O-oh. I don’t actually work, and I have never worked in my life, and most of the people I interact with on a daily basis have never worked either. You see, we’re STEM grad students. Basically, real life superheros in training. I don’t have time to engage in blue collar labor or to waste time on the preoccupations of day to day life. You see, I’m an intellectual, and my time is devoted to the study of science. One day I’m going to get a job at Google, the CIA, or Johns Hopkins University, and I’m going to change the world for progress. But for now, I’m just reading textbooks and solving equations and stuff. And no, you should not confuse me with some NEET incel loser. In fact, us grad students are the cream of the crop. The future leaders of America."
        It just feels fake and gay. It’s cool if you want to do science, but being a grad student should not be the core of your identity, and you shouldn’t think of being an "intellectual" or a "grad student" as a real title or job.

Anonymous

it’s literally the same as how people with Bachelor’s degrees would look down on people in trades. Now it’s just one level higher

Anonymous

>I just feel weird talking to like an actual working adult
          Once you enter the working world and see what actual adults get paid for, you won’t feel too bad about it.

>What do you do, anon?
          >Oh, I uhhh, well you see… my company has these Jenkins jobs, which sometimes crash due to a malformatted CSV or a missing character in a bash script or because they’re using the wrong version of a package, and uhhh… oh well you see, the scripts are important because they load data… to produce reports… and uhhh… meetings… oh, we sell pet food. Well not actually the pet food itself, but we advertise subscriptions for the company that’s owned by the company that sells the pet food, and… anyway yes, you could say I do pretty important stuff.

Anonymous

Pretty much this, s/w dev here, most of my time is wasted by the company cheapening out on tooling, infrastructure, proper s/w practices and whatever else doesn’t neatly fit in its metrics that are made up for the comprehension of clueless executives that neither trust devs nor bother to learn enough to understand wtf we’re actually doing

Anonymous

my lefty friend always has to bring up something about being in grad school when talking to strangers (car salesmen, cashiers, waiters…)

Anonymous

I use this method too. I’ve used it since I was six.

Anonymous

Tell me you’re a woman without telling me you’re a woman

Anonymous

What woman is posting on LULZ, let alone the LULZ board?

Anonymous

What are you trying to say, anon? Women aren’t naturally inclined to STEM? So basically, women are biologically inferior to men??????? THAT’S THE MOST SEXIST MISOGYNISTIC CIS HETERO WHITE MALE PRIVILEGED THING I’VE EVER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anonymous

cringe post

Anonymous

I would guess she is at some shit school. I would expect someone from a decent school to say something more akin to writing my dissertation in "insert super niche description of field" physics

Anonymous

She goes to University of Michigan, which is pretty well-regarded.

Anonymous

Why does she presume to know what white males experience? She needs to be raped and murdered

Anonymous

Why is a woman from the wealthiest state in India trying to act oppressed?

Anonymous

>be freshman
      >take intro to linear algebra MAT 121
      >no idea what this is, I just liked calc 1 in high school and my math teacher said I should take it
      >instructed to talk to PhD student
      >Super excited, never talked to a PhD student before, I get to see what my future looks like! I don’t want to offend her, so I shouldn’t assume anything.
      >"Hi ma’am, have you taken this course before? You must have graduated 5 years ago and I’m not sure what the class is about"
      >HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT YOU WHITE MALE?!!!?!

Anonymous

Lol. Pretty much.

Anonymous

Women can go to other women for help with math tutoring.

But any man asking a woman (or a black person) for math help, especially in modern universities, is a clueless retard. Diversity recruitment is absolutely a thing. Blacks and women get in and stay in on lower standards and lower ability, whereas Asians have to work twice as hard to get in.

For every woman who is moderately average at math there are at least 20 Asians that are superior to her in every way that you ought to be asking for help instead.

Anonymous

Can’t feel sorry for Asians. They vote for this kind of thing so they deserve what they get.

Anonymous

>It hurt
      lmaoam, the random seething about white guys is just the cherry on top.

Anonymous

Honestly if I was a math PhD being asked this I was say "nah, dropped out after times tables". It’s a stupid question so I would give a stupid answer then help them if they actually asked for help.

Anonymous

I would have thought the person asking the question is a fucking idiot (if they knew I was a PhD student). Because you really need to have a special kind of mental deficiency if the conclusion that a PhD student in a field has taken introductory courses of the same field.

Anonymous

No.

Anonymous

It’s a retarded question to ask, and a lot of times young men that feel inadequate like to push people around and bully teachers and classmates. I imagine it was some 18 year old dude bro who though he was being super funny or maybe he was bitter and mad that an older, more talented math student also happened to be a female. There could be a lot of reasons. Either way, you are a retard if you ask a PhD student something like this. He is either the biggest retard to get into college, or he is being intentionally annoying. There is no reason a PhD student should have to deal with this kind of treatment from some edgelord undergrad.

Anonymous

>Assuming ill intent without evidence
        You are the reason hate exists in this world. Nothing in her story suggests the guy was actually being rude, because "have you ever X" and "can you help me with X" are exactly the same question functionally; the only difference being formality.

Anonymous

>the only difference being formality.
          No shit retard, that is exactly my point. If he was talking to anyone else, like on of his friends, or a male grad student or a male professor, then I can guarantee is tone would not have been "informal". Just because she’s a female grad student, doesn’t mean she should be treated any differently, and if we’re being honest, I think we all know that we’re probably talking about some white frat boy type dude who thinks he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Anonymous

>I think we all know that we’re probably talking about some white frat boy type dude who thinks he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.

"I think we all know" isn’t evidence

Anonymous

>If he was talking to anyone else, like on of his friends, or a male grad student or a male professor, then I can guarantee is tone would not have been "informal"
            Confirmed underage or woman. The only people that a college boy is going to go out of his way to respect will be men/women that give an air of power. Not most grad students, male or female.

Anonymous

Is linear algebra really in every math curriculum? To be honest, I would take it as a compliment if someone didn’t assume I was some engifag.

Anonymous

yeah every math grad student should know linear algebra. math students usually learn it slightly more theoretically than engineers

Anonymous

Do you have any friends? One of the defining characteristics of a friendship is the ability to have informal conversations. Are you waiting for ‘Friendship API 1.0’ to be released before you have any friends?

Anonymous

I’m informal with everyone and women get salty about it, not men.
            #Facts

Anonymous

She had to weave in the race somehow, lol. This is why you avoid dealing with ethnics, they all have this enormous chip on their shoulder.

Anonymous

I used to work in the admissions office of a university. About a quarter of the people who came in didn’t even know if they wanted to apply for undergrad or grad school. The structure of academia isn’t something most people give much thought to. The Ph.D. making that tweet is showing a lack of empathy for the freshman, assuming that he knows all about the requirements of her position when there’s no good reason why he should. She sounds like the type of person who gets upset if the person bagging her groceries doesn’t call her ‘doctor’.

Anonymous

Nop. I’m not that insecure.

Anonymous

I’ve literally been asked that as a PhD student.

Anonymous

And did you have a complete melt down due mental instability/insecurity like the girl in the OP or did you just answer the question in seconds and go about your day?

Anonymous

The only reason these non-white roasties hate white men is because they were rejected by them when they were younger.

Anonymous

In other news, social scientist are mystified why young men have lost interest in attending university.

Anonymous

THE WHOLE DIVERSITY THING IS AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE MINORITIES INCREDIBLY INSECURE IN ORDER FOR LIBERALS TO HAND WAVE SOME SOLUTION THAT DOESN’T WORK.

Anonymous

This. The democratic party WANTS racial inequity. Their whole appeal is that they’re going to fix the broken system , if a fair and just society is achieved they suddenly have no reason to exist so naturally they will exaggerate the size of the problem and if things get too good they will intentionally sabotage society.

Anonymous

No one has ever asked a white person if they’ve taken a class.

Anonymous

Wow a freshman doesn’t that linear algebra is required/expected for all math PhD students and so politely asks if she knows the subject before just demanding she help him with it? So problematic OMG.

I’m a PhD student in ECE and I would expect anyone to ask me what I’ve taken because there are numerous disciplines I know nothing about in the realm of ECE, such as optics

Anonymous

>asking for help
      ngmi

Anonymous

>Linear algebra? Ehh i haven’t done that shit seriously in like 8 years but go ahead, i might help

Anonymous

>asking for help
      ngmi

Anonymous

>Nair
      That explains it more than anything. This racist bitch doesn’t have to live in a white country. Fuck her and her ilk, deport them all.

Anonymous

Lmao at the brainlet who asked and the brainlet who got offended

Anonymous

I would have noticed, but written it off as freshmen not knowing what’s expected for -all- math students (essentially everyone takes linear algebra, but not everyone takes complex analysis or numerical analysis, for example).
      Also, some undergrads literally don’t know what graduate students are. They just have a vague idea that you’re someone who helps with classes.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.