Why not just plant more plants to reduce co2?

Home Forums Science & tech Why not just plant more plants to reduce co2?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why not just plant more plants to reduce co2? Why not just increase ocean vegetation to reduce global warming? Somebody help me understand plz

Anonymous

The carbon store is too small. Biochar is a similar concept that works better than just growing trees.

Anonymous

that requires people organize and do something

Anonymous

Why does this take organization? Just go plant some plants

Anonymous

I’ve noticed the plants around my property are growing like mad even more compared to 5 or 10 years ago. Those guys are having a field day no pun intended with more food in the atmosphere for them. I can’t image how quickly bamboo grows now too. Also nice job saving an image thumbnail.

Anonymous

It’s much more efficient to not make a mess in the first place instead of making a mess and cleaning it up.

Anonymous

unfortunately one can not act on the advice to "not make a mess in the first place" without a time machine

Anonymous

>He said, while making the mess bigger

Anonymous

How am I making the mess bigger in a way you are not?

Anonymous

Do you want a real answer, or if I tell you are you going to claim that I’m virtue signaling?

Anonymous

Republicuck here but tell me.

Anonymous

well now you’ve put it into my head that you’re going to be virtue signalling, but I am curious

You /poo/tards sit bolt upright for every dog whistle, don’t you? I grow a portion of my own food, I use a fraction of the national average electricity consumption, I don’t drive often, I compost the majority of my waste, and I’ve personally sequestered hundreds of pounds of carbon.

Anonymous

>I use a fraction of the national average electricity consumption, I don’t drive often
                    me too. I don’t grow food though, living in the hustle and bustle of the big city. On the other hand, I don’t drive at ALL. Sounds like we’re making the mess bigger at approximately the same rate

Anonymous

>I grow a portion of my own food
                    I’ve done this lol. You end up growing so little, like legitimately so little that you just end up going to the grocery store.
                    Bananas alone take years to grow.
                    >I use a fraction of the national average electricity consumption
                    Done this too. Obviously different now but just an electric fan and an outdoor lightbulb. Gas cooking though.
                    > I don’t drive often
                    I don’t even drive. Walk to the suburbs then take the bus. When I was living like that, though.
                    > I compost the majority of my waste
                    Doubt. Human waste is immense. You definitely burn it. If not, how do you do it?
                    >I’ve personally sequestered hundreds of pounds of carbon.
                    No way for me to measure my own output.

Anonymous

well now you’ve put it into my head that you’re going to be virtue signalling, but I am curious

Anonymous

>Civilization is a mess
        How are you posted from the middle of the wilderness?

Anonymous

Plants are carbon neutral. They eventually release all the CO2 they absorbed.

Anonymous

the mass of carbon we put in the atmosphere exceeds hte mass of all plants and animals on the planet. We would need a second earth full of life to go back to safe levels and we would still need centuries. Also we would need to stop buring coal and oil NOW.

But it’s worse, we put world on fire, We lost our last chance to outgrow global heating catastrophe.

Anonymous

did you know that temperature increase is logarithmic in terms of c02? i.e. every doubling of atmospheric c02 increases temperature linearly

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I hope you realize how CO2 capture by plants works. Probably not how you think. They are not immortal air scrubbing engines.

Anonymous

>garden gnomes coping about tree co2 storage
      trees take free sun and co2 and turn it into buildings and food, have a nice day

Anonymous

It doesn’t even scratch the surface of helping the problem, plus it only traps carbon for 20 years

Anonymous

oldest tree is over 5000 years old and dry wood is around 50% carbon, normal for life made mainly from carbon, explain were you got
        >20 years
        from, scrotebrained garden gnome

Anonymous

>muh joos
          Truly amazing arguments.

Anonymous

Because people keep clearing land for agriculture. This is the biggest environmental killer, not mining, not pollution, not urbanisation, not climate change. If you want to save the planet, stop people from breeding and needing more food to be grown

Anonymous

>people

Anonymous

Yes, its happening in western countries too, or has happened. Look at Australia with one of the highest land clearing rates in the world. Look at Europe and the Mediterranean were there is almost no natural forest remaining at all.

Anonymous

How do you even stop this

Controlling what people do is evil. But so is clearing forests. So what’s the middle ground? Put forest clearing in league with child molestation?

Anonymous

they aren’t people, simple as

Anonymous

Controlling what people do isn’t evil lol, people need to be controlled. I don’t think you’d enjoy living in a lawless society. There has to be boundaries when people are encroaching on each other’s interests.

Anonymous

Good thing only powerless neets understand that overpopulation is the problem, if powerful people did they might do something about it

Anonymous

>yfw you realize the CO2 fearmongering is exactly that and none of the talking heads or "scientists" actually give a flying fuck, but the thing is, you do care, and a lot of well-intentioned people do care, but they have been memed into caring about freaking CO2 instead of tangible, easily addressable and more impactful pollution of the biosphere (plastics, oils, chemicals, garbage). So, in the end, all the global warming scrotes are just as guilty in letting the planet die as the people who did nothing and never cared to begin with.

Anonymous

This is the true blackpill of environmentalism that’s 3 stages of iterative research deep and no one wants to touch with a 20 foot pole. The environmental problems you do hear about in mass media are pushed by lobbyists, functionaires and politicians to sell more of yourself away for their gain. Carbon and green taxes are huge untapped currencies. Green and BBB politics are misused to shoehorn more authoritative institutional powers and bureaucratic smoke into government.
        No one cares about the huge patches of trash floating in the oceans. No one cares about the proliferation of plastic into all strata of the food chain. No one cares about the superfactories in Asia spewing so much pollution you have entire cities covered in thick smog and their populations suffering from chronic chemical poisoning. No one cares about the international landfills leaking and making land inhospitable for thousands of years.
        I swear if the US wanted to do right by the planet, it would bomb China back into the stone age, genocide India into a graveyard the likes of which the world has never seen, force resettle all SEA inhabitants to Australia and prohibit anyone from coming or going to the islands, make the entirety of Central and South America coastline into a sanctioned UN militarized buffer zone, and release a genomic virus on the Aboriginals for good measure.

Anonymous

God, I’m glad someone else gets it anon. Well said.

Anonymous

This is the true blackpill of environmentalism that’s 3 stages of iterative research deep and no one wants to touch with a 20 foot pole. The environmental problems you do hear about in mass media are pushed by lobbyists, functionaires and politicians to sell more of yourself away for their gain. Carbon and green taxes are huge untapped currencies. Green and BBB politics are misused to shoehorn more authoritative institutional powers and bureaucratic smoke into government.
        No one cares about the huge patches of trash floating in the oceans. No one cares about the proliferation of plastic into all strata of the food chain. No one cares about the superfactories in Asia spewing so much pollution you have entire cities covered in thick smog and their populations suffering from chronic chemical poisoning. No one cares about the international landfills leaking and making land inhospitable for thousands of years.
        I swear if the US wanted to do right by the planet, it would bomb China back into the stone age, genocide India into a graveyard the likes of which the world has never seen, force resettle all SEA inhabitants to Australia and prohibit anyone from coming or going to the islands, make the entirety of Central and South America coastline into a sanctioned UN militarized buffer zone, and release a genomic virus on the Aboriginals for good measure.

God, I’m glad someone else gets it anon. Well said.

You’re not fooling anyone with that transparent misleading. Other forms of pollution are horrible and must be stopped as well but CO2 has tangible and measured effects on the atmosphere and climate.

Anonymous

is that you speaking or the credit card’s worth of plastic in your body

Anonymous

okay phoneposter, let me know when everyone is able to effectively drop the CO2 levels without the more violent efforts the one anon suggested, and also let us know what really changes as you can’t stop the solar forcing

>horrible and must be stopped as well
          yeah but that’s not where the money or attention is and you’re actively detracting from it by repeating the lie that we should focus on CO2 levels, which have always fluctuated btw. Let me guess, you’re not out there advocating for nuclear energy, which would drastically reduce carbon emissions and provide areas with clean, efficient sources of reliable energy and (in the instances of 3rd world shitholes) clean drinking water? I really hope you’re not the anon who thinks planting some trees or freaking vegetables makes a difference.

Anonymous

>everyone is able to effectively drop the CO2 levels
            Use nuclear power like you said
            >that’s not where the money or attention is
            Actually there is a lot of funding for pollution mitigation such as agricultural phosphates and lots of active research on how pollutants are affecting the environment. To say that there’s little effort is a plain lie. There’s no reason to say that dealing with CO2 means ignoring other pollution.
            >which have always fluctuated btw
            Sure, but not at the extreme rates we’re causing with emissions. Even during the ramp up of CO2 levels at the end of the most recent glaciations it took 10,000 yrs for CO2 to increase by 100 ppm. In the last 100 years we’ve surpassed that with fossil fuels.
            >can’t stop the solar forcing
            Solar forcing operates on longer time spans. The atmosphere and the ocean are the main drivers of climate on the planet.

Anonymous

fake graph

Anonymous

source?

Anonymous

It’s certainly misleading. The Y-axis starts from 150.

Anonymous

Are you scrotebrained?

Anonymous

What’s with climate shills and person attacks?

Anonymous

Do you have any arguments or are you unable to read a simple graph?

Anonymous

The graph is fake and funded by climate interest groups led by garden gnomes. What more do I need to say?

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/EO5l50J.gif

>direct gas measurements are a gnomish conspiracy

Anonymous

Carbon credit was literally invented by garden gnomes

Anonymous

Because there simply isn’t enough land on earth, to merely match the current emissions (e.g. not do anything to fix the environment just maintain status quo) would require basically all land area on the earth to be covered in thick forests. That is of course impossible not only because it would mean human extinction but simply because most environments aren’t suitable for trees. More over simply planting trees isn’t enough, you need to cut them down and then bury or sink them into the oceans, otherwise you get even less out of them as they eventually die and release most of the carbon back.

Trees are basically a feel good dude weed lmao thing, they don’t do anything but saying you planted a tree or donated to plant a forest feels good. Trees themselves are pretty good for air quality and animal habitats so they aren’t exactly wasted effort but they aren’t a solution to atmospheric co2 at all.

Anonymous

where?

Anonymous

>he blames da joos instead of taking control

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id