Why is MacOS so dominant in academia?

Home Forums Science & Tech Why is MacOS so dominant in academia?

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

>Go to university for computer science
      >Every single lecturer uses MacOS
      >Only ever see Windows or Linux if we’re being shown something specific for them
      >Have seen Linux used twice
      >I’m on my final (4th) year

Why is MacOS so dominant in academia?

Anonymous

It’s predominant in the world in general. The bigger question is why the fuck you care?

Anonymous

Because this board keeps telling me 90%+ of "real systems" use Linux

Anonymous

Majority of systems run in the world arent personal computers but rather servers and other similar utility devices, and they indeed use some kind of *nix system most of the time

Anonymous

Linux users shill Linux as a hobby and unfortunately they’re allowed to here. Just ignore them.
          "real systems" use commercial Unix systems if they need Unix, or license something like the mainframe from IBM for everything else.
          Even in the consumer workstation market, you observed yourself that it’s a commercial Unix that’s the majority.

>Why is MacOS so dominant in academia?
          The vendors that makes these commercial systems depend on making them good or their business goes under too, not just yours. The same isn’t true for something like Linux. If it fails at a critical moment, go post on a mailing list. Or pay RedHat to do that for you. Nobody cares and Linux will exist without you.
          When it comes to the others, their business is reliant on supporting you and making sure their product works the way they promised it would. If it doesn’t they lose your business and thus their funding.

Toward the turn of the century Apple shifted serious focus to schools and universities, going as far as offering free Macs to high schools so kids would get trained on them. Most college bookstores offer heavy student discounts on Macbooks to the point they’re almost the same as high-end Windows laptops. Combine that with the "it just werkz" mentality and pic related and they’ve got a standard going.

based

Anonymous

Apple is only surviving off of their itunes store and iphones cash.

Anonymous

$2.5 Trillion market cap.

Cope.

Anonymous

with that money, that’s enough to make cars go brr brr

Anonymous

>"real systems" use commercial Unix systems if they need Unix, or license something like the mainframe from IBM for everything else.
            What rock have you been hiding under for 20 years? Big unix deployments (of which there are quite a few) almost all use some Linux variant. The main areas where Linux isn’t dominant are desktop and embedded; everywhere else it is the global market leader and has been for many years.
            Embedded Linux is a thing, but only on the very high end of embedded devices. Most run something much more custom (and far smaller).

Anonymous

Majority of systems run in the world arent personal computers but rather servers and other similar utility devices, and they indeed use some kind of *nix system most of the time

no, they dont run *nix, they run linux. no one uses *nix anymore, linux is vastly dominant. for example, of the top 500 most powerful computers ever created by humanity, 500 of those run linux.

Anonymous

Pretty much this. Linux has dominant market share in servers.
              Windows server has larger market share than any BSD.
              The only case where you can say *nix is if you have some ancient mainframe

Anonymous

and 90% of this board are NEET shut-ins who rice their distros all day for desktop threads

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

>"real systems"
          apple discontinued their non-consumer OSs so yeah, i guess
          that and some Windows Server for legacy stuff

Anonymous

Check out the stack overflow developer survey. Macos and Linux have more or less the same market share at 25% each. Linux is actually a little higher than 25%.

Anonymous

Few non-autistic people use linux as a PERSONAL os. No, Linux is the only choice for servers and other dedicated uses which is what gives it popularity.

Anonymous

>It’s predominant in the world in general
        murica isnt the world

Anonymous

I’m not even murrican

Anonymous

Holy shit you are stupid
        Mac systems have less than 10% worldwide marketshare
        God damn the stupidity on this board just blows my fucking mind

Anonymous

Windows comprises the vast majority of active consumer computers.

Anonymous

>Why is MacOS so dominant in academia?
      I just works, and it means more than you think it means if you only have had experiences with Linux and Windows.

Anonymous

They are retarded. I had some smug poopyhole in a seminar say "he knows how to use word" when I mentioned to him he should look into using org-ref. The implication being, he thought word was too complicated for me. They grew up on fluoride, Disney Channel and corn syrup. Don’t expect too much from that generation.

Anonymous

I never seen a real mac in my entire life
      It must be some western thing
      t. eastern european chad

Anonymous

I’ve only ever seen non-mac laptops in an office setting, for casual use everyone I know use a mac and/or an ipad with keyboard.

Anonymous

Ive seen an ipad like once and it was mostly a novelty device which collected dust, i have no idea why anyone would use one since they are too big to be really mobile and arent as powerful as a real laptop

Anonymous

They’re ideal for using at home when you need to (hand)write, read or draw something without sitting down and firing up your laptop. I’m unironically pretty happy with mine, I can read research papers and make notes pretty comfortably.

Anonymous

>at home when you need to (hand)write, read or draw something without sitting down and firing up your laptop
              I dont think i have ever found myself in such a predicament in my entire life

Anonymous

>living in the ghetto of eastern Europe

Anonymous

southern euro here and same lmao. it’s just america really i think.

Anonymous

Western Europe loves Macs too. They are everywhere in our colleges.

Anonymous

i think it’s just UK, china, & japan at most that really value the apple computer.

Anonymous

southern euro here and same lmao. it’s just america really i think.

USA has a team competition mentality they really push to everything which is cringe on it’s own.

Anonymous

It’s just a status symbol thing that identifies the user as being part of the upper-middle-class

Anonymous

It’s purely a status symbol thing. Academia is mostly operated by the elite, and the general impression that most people have about Windows is that it’s for poors who can’t afford a Mac.

Anonymous

>Academia is mostly operated by the elite
        Is this really what murricans believe?
        Here you’re viewed as low class if you go to uni, because if you were really worth something you’d get involved in the family business by the time you graduate high school.

Anonymous

I dont know how a Macbook can be perceived as a status symbol. The MBA can be bought at 899 at my local Best Buy. Never understood this narrative. Every usable, quality build laptop starts at minimum 800 dollars.

Anonymous

I think it’s only LULZ that believes that macs are somehow a status symbol, since virtually everyone owns one here.

Anonymous

Their entire cult-like propaganda they call adverticement is centered about how owning an apple product makes you special and not like the "others" which is clearly and elitist pandering, thus the devide between "rich us" and "poor them" even though it might(and is) completely detached
            And the fact that you can buy an entire rig for a price of apple monitor stand

Anonymous

This must be an American thing, here Apple computers are markedet to the everyday man and priced around the same.

Anonymous

Apple products market themselves as being hip, cool, and the thing you need to express yourself. They typically cost more than a laptop with windows on it and they will randomly break and their support tells you to fuck off.

Anonymous

Here they market themselves as the thing that just works, what your average family would use on their cabins and shit. In one of their ads they were literally eating fastfood, lol.

They’re slightly more expensive than competing products.

Anonymous

>hip, cool, and the thing you need
                  uses boring colors and is planned to be obsoleted in 3 years

Anonymous

that’s why. if your is working, it is because it is brand new.

Anonymous

My MBP is 6 years old and still works as a charm after I replaced the battery.

Anonymous

>ESL

just stop

Anonymous

stop what? do you think your ‘natives’ are any better? your fucking language is being transformed into aave at light speed. i hope you choke on your hubris while a disabled trans women twears over ashes of your pride you fucking retard.

Anonymous

The fact that you think like this means Apple succeeded. Now do you think the same when you see a Porsche at the crossroad?

Anonymous

>another brainlet anon who doesn’t understand shit like the stand and wheels are for IT procurement personnel to buy because the budget allowed for it

Anonymous

Also, list prices for things intended to be sold to other businesses are never what those businesses actually pay. I work in sales and some of my multipliers are around 0.3, which is to say that for some products, I get 70% off list price. My customers, also businesses, don’t pay list price either. Only the rare random guy off the street trying to set up a machine shop in his garage pays list.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

>LULZ that believes that

check out reddit

Anonymous

no thanks, I’ll take your word for it

Anonymous

Because the majority of LULZ can’t afford more than a decade-old Thinkpad. Anything over $400 is considered high-end to those people.

Anonymous

Majority? there’s fucks that buy apple

Anonymous

>Macbook seen as top tier
          >uses intel

Anonymous

I was talking about the new m1 mba

Anonymous

too bad cause apple is gonna keep using intel.

why they used intel and upped the price of a mac only to burn itself and lag?

Anonymous

>I dont know how a Macbook can be perceived as a status symbol.
          women made apple a status symbol
          they were marketed as cheap a capable at first, then as the definition of technology, and after the iphone, as a fashion accessory.

Anonymous

only nerdy man-childs uses macbooks and students in college also uses macs, why only blame on women and fashion?

Taking reddit’s apple hate points?

Anonymous

nerdy manchilds and college students use apple to signal to women. do you live under a rock? never saw that shit about green and blue bubbles on imessage showing iphone users if they were exchanging messsages with a pleb phone? thots use this kind shit for selecting people. it is sad and retarded and it appears something from a comedy or satire, but it is true.

Anonymous

>never saw that shit about green and blue bubbles on imessage showing iphone users if they were exchanging messsages with a pleb phone?
                we are talking about Macs not iphones, stay on topic.
                >nerdy manchilds and college students use apple to signal to women. do you live under a rock?
                pajeet you realize you creep women right?
                >thots use this kind shit for selecting people. it is sad and retarded and it appears something from a comedy or satire, but it is true.
                that happened to you? android is boring kys

you are the blackest gorilla melanoid cattle I’ve ever seen

>pic related

Anonymous

the tranny has arrived.
                  why is trannyspeak so remarkable?
                  it simply oozes malice, every word is tainted with all the abuses the tranny suffered by his abusive mother.

Anonymous

(YOU)

Anonymous

no they were never cheap. try again zoomie

Anonymous

are you retarded? their computers were sold as a diy kits in the beginning and after that they were pretty cheap in comparison to the other pcs. you must be some dunning-kruger millenial cuck.

Anonymous

Academics live in their own world. It’s same as with Matlab or Mathematica. Those tools are great for lab exercises but in reality most of engineering calculations are performed with Excel by some boomers writing VBA spaghetti modules that are used to design critical infrastructure.

Anonymous

>in reality most of engineering calculations are performed with Excel by some boomers writing VBA spaghetti modules that are used to design critical infrastructure.

Anonymous

if only you knew how right you are
        .t automotive supply chain engineer

Anonymous

for the scale of calculations you need to perform excel does everything just fine

Anonymous

>itt: seething wintoddlers

Anonymous

Im studying Physics and at my Uni Ive seen everything from Windows to BSD.

Anonymous

>enroll in computer engineering (germany)
      >they basically tell us to get comfortable with linux or get fucked before the semester even starts

lol CS is a joke, get a real degree

Anonymous

>computer engineering (US of A)
        >professors exclusively use Windows
        ??? do krauts really

Anonymous

they use windows here as well, a bunch of software that only works on windows
          he’s just larping
          t. another kraut

Anonymous

Toward the turn of the century Apple shifted serious focus to schools and universities, going as far as offering free Macs to high schools so kids would get trained on them. Most college bookstores offer heavy student discounts on Macbooks to the point they’re almost the same as high-end Windows laptops. Combine that with the "it just werkz" mentality and pic related and they’ve got a standard going.

Anonymous

and it werked. Windows has sub 80% market share now.

Anonymous

macos is unix based, and comes with the advantages most modern unix based oses come with (not-shitty shells, actual package managers) while also adhering to the "it just werks" standard that windows often provides for non-programming purposes

an alarming amount of people going for any derivative of a CS degree seem to have issues getting past even basic compilation errors, let alone os-specific issues, so it isn’t surprising that the most brainless os happens to be the most popular

i never felt like it was a status thing, since those types of people tend to get filtered by any course past the 1000 level

Anonymous

>i never felt like it was a status thing
        why would apple ever use intel, make products tiny, expensive for no reason.

cause it werks? that makes sense

Anonymous

People have better things to do with their time than dick around with /etc/x11/xorg.conf

Anonymous

Snow Leopard and Mojave were usable X86 unix variants. Every other OS 10.whatever was and is abject garbage.

10.4 is still usable if you have a working power PC

Anonymous

High Sierra, 10.13? 10.2?

Anonymous

Come to study CS in the University of Helsinki and your problem is fixed

Anonymous

you’ll find out once you get employed.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Nearly everyone who has gone to a large university in the US after the 90s has come out on the other end dumber and poorer.

Anonymous

>Go to university for computer engineering
      >most teachers use windows and Linux
      >OS course lecturer is a FreeBSD shill and one of the only ones that uses fagOS
      >most students use tablets and cheap laptops

Anonymous

the prof that does my coding camp is also a total macfag
      also is studying computer science important for getting a coding job in your guys experience?

Anonymous

Because intertia. Professors started using mac when windows was

Anonymous

>only high iq uses Apple
        >based people on objects they hold on their hand how much income you assume

itoddlers are pathetic

Anonymous

Like 50/50 between Mac and Linux in my experience.
      MacOS works fine is guaranteed to work out of the box and Macbooks aren’t that expensive compared to other business grade laptops.
      It’s not that shocking that they are popular, but your observations is most likely an outlier.

Anonymous

[…]

All the mods are unsalvageable newfags and zoomers. Kill those two and they’ll be replaced by someone just as bad or even worse. Maybe we’ll get /a/’s mod until they find a replacement. I’m sure everyone would love that.

Anonymous

[…]

this poster is a tech illiterate wintoddler microjeet shill, who is buttblasted that mods don’t put up with his tard tantrums.

Anonymous

>Every single lecturer uses MacOS
      Professors are generally pieces of crap, so naturally.

Anonymous

2 men kissing lmao

Anonymous

The maths and CS computers at my uni run Linux. I know two maths lecturers who use it on their personal computers too.

Anonymous

work assigned me a macbook. end up using my gaming windows pc because WSL2 (ubuntu 20.04) and docker run great on it with vscode.

Anonymous

Pretty sure its just because Mac can ssh on linux servers and its got a nice UI + just works

Anonymous

I am a Comp Sci PhD at a top university in the US. I am European.
      I believe there are a couple reasons for this.
      1) A lot of people in the US choose Computer Science because they care about the money and prestige, not because they are passionate about computer tech.
      2) Similarly, the US is a very consumerist society with a convenience-first mentality. MacOS has both status and just werks. It does not matter that it is a closed ecosystem and walled garden. These people do not care about that.
      3) A lot of academics are actually really technically inept. My peers are absolutely embarrassing regarding their abilities with programming and general computer skills. Many have never opened up a computer or laptop in their life let alone modified something in their OS. Again, it does not matter because those skills are not valued in academia.

I see less of this at non-American institutions. Those largely favour Linux still.
      Hope I can help.

Anonymous

>Many have never opened up a computer or laptop in their life let alone modified something in their OS. Again, it does not matter because those skills are not valued in academia.
        One day we will purge them
        They must use org-mode or perish in the fire
        reactionary free-software gnomish emacs fascism is the future fren
        It’s not up to me whether they perish in the fire for their ineptitude

Anonymous
        Anonymous

nerds in america get made fun of alot so no one would notice the work they put into.

Anonymous

I know iOS is a walled garden but MacOS really isn’t. If it was it would have perished long ago. The PC market isn’t Smartphones.

Anonymous

professors are actually dumb and don’t know how to computer

Anonymous

At my university the only people who used MacOS were the students that would go on to drop out. Every professor used Windows or Ubuntu. A few actually used OpenBSD but this is a college known for its comp sci department.

Anonymous

Same here, most lectures and even students use mac. Not sure why.

Anonymous

two of my dell laptop i got at the pawn shop didn’t survive the next year (fans went brr brr then whole system shuts off after being normal for 5 minutes, then it made loud beeps that hurted my ears).

I’ve had a dell desktop given to me and then it completely fucked up after using cleaning programs.

my current dell laptop survived these seven years somewhat but got some winsxs shit taking up the space.

got a macbook and left dell computers alone.

Anonymous

30 years experience in computing. Only work experience with a Mac was some guys said they were good and he was laid off the next year.

Anonymous

Reminder the only way to purge these shit threads off LULZ is to slit the imelanoid mod/OP’s throat

Anonymous

>three words
      >it just werks

>on monterey beta on my MacBook Pro

Anonymous

lots of wrong answers
      correct answer is "same reason as texas instrument calculators"

schools were offered extremely generous discounts on hardware so that students would be trained on that hardware, and become more familiar with the ecosystem and hopefully personally purchase that hardware in the future

apple users followed what advertising wanted them to do, and nobody should be surprised

Anonymous

>schools were offered extremely generous discounts on hardware so that students would be trained on that hardware, and become more familiar with the ecosystem and hopefully personally purchase that hardware in the future

why the fuck would schools indoctrinate fucks with calculators no one really uses?

Anonymous

As a FAANG employee, I’ll tell you why I and all my colleagues use them:

> Good Hardware (thin, light, good battery life, fast CPU)
      > MacOS is polished and has great software support
      > MacOS has excellent compatibility and support with *Nix things

Anonymous

>t. bug man

Anonymous

> Good Hardware (thin, light, good battery life, fast CPU)
        You’re not only wrong, you’re also stupid.
        > MacOS is polished and has great software support
        Fair enough. But still worse software support than Windows and Linux
        > MacOS has excellent compatibility and support with *Nix things
        What doesn’t these days?

Anonymous

>fast CPU

doubt

Anonymous

>go to decent but mid-tier university for bachelor’s
      >EVERYONE uses a mac, lecturers, students around me, etc. Plus some retards running windows and struggling with doing shit that requires the CLI
      >get into top tier uni for my Master’s
      >macs almost nonexistent, tons of people running linux, the ones that don’t are running windows with WSL set up or something
      It was an interesting experience

Anonymous

Undergrads just love Macs. I’m taking intro CS at a top-tier uni and the lecture hall is 80% Macs.

Anonymous

While this may be true, the thing is at least here in the uk combined 4-year bsc+msc programs are super common, so usually over half the people on a master’s program are technically gonna be 4th year undergrads. There are also plenty of courses that are available in both 3rd and 4th year, again mixing literal undergrads with master’s track students, and of course lab spaces usually end up shared with everyone from every course coming and going, sitting and doing assignments or whatever.
          It really was a university separation rather than a under/postgrad separation.

Of course given my sample size of 1 each I’m not saying it’s a rule, so I’m not too surprised you have a counterexample. Whereabouts in the world are you?

Anonymous

Private school in America, which probably explains most of it. Tons of rich kids who buy all Apple. I’m surprised I haven’t been ostracized for using an Android and Thinkpad, to be honest.

Anonymous

Maybe. I noticed it’s usually rich kids who tend to be super loyal to apple.
              >ostracized
              That bad? In my case it was a talking point, and a local rich iranian fag that I did multiple group assignments with half-jokingly offered to buy me a better laptop, but it was always good-natured kind of "haha look at this guy, he has this ancient-looking laptop! and wow he carries a spare battery too? how wacky!". Not "ew poorfag".

Anonymous

I exaggerate a bit, but practically everyone owns an iPhone and uses iMessage to communicate. I actually keep around my old iPhone 6S just for that.

Anonymous

>Private school
              living near the hood world i see

Anonymous

that’s only in muttland

Anonymous

wait til you graduate and get a job, unless you work in gamedev you’ll see a lot of Macs.
      it just werks.

Anonymous

Apple gives educational institutions massive discounts to shill their product to the next generation of faggots.

Anonymous

Reminder the only way to purge these shit threads off LULZ is to slit the imelanoid mod/OP’s throat.

Anonymous

because academics dont work in tech
      what kind of person do you think has the skills and qualifications to be making 150k+ but instead babysits highschool grads for breadcrumbs teaching content that anyone who was genuinely interested could easily self study?

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.