Why doesn’t anyone question the theory that gravity is the curvature of space time?

Home Forums Science & tech Why doesn’t anyone question the theory that gravity is the curvature of space time?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why doesn’t anyone question the theory that gravity is the curvature of space time? It’s pretty silly if you think about it. Space curves around an object but what is it that moves other objects towards it? The gravity? It is circular reasoning.
      Also, think the curving of the space-time would only bring objects closer together once. Space does not curve indefinitely towards the object of greater mass, but only once. However, objects are CONSTANTLY attracted to it. Which implies a constant energy. Where does that constant energy come from? Relativity doesn’t explain it.

Anonymous

Also consant contraction of space-time would imply objects would fall inside eventually yet objects orbit around planets and stars and dont fall inside

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/BmzEi3P.gif

Objects fall and crash into each other all the time. Overtime, as a star system stabilizes, only those objects that are on stable orbits remain.

Anonymous

they do, though

Anonymous

look into hyperbolic geometry and go from there.

Anonymous

What are you trying to say OP? Photons are just regular particles with mass like everything else? Careful there….

Anonymous

>What are you trying to say OP? Photons are just regular particles with mass like everything else? Careful there….
        do this one neat trick.
        assume light might have a mass m
        calculate force of gravity
        put into Newtons 2nd law
        use light mass again for ma
        take the limit as m goes to zero.
        see it’s the same damn thing as GR

Anonymous

It’s questioned all the time. It just happens to have passed every test.

>Space curves around an object but what is it that moves other objects towards it?
      Moving normally along a curved surface will bring you towards the object it’s curved around. What is it that makes things move in a straight line on a flat surface?

>Space does not curve indefinitely towards the object of greater mass, but only once. However, objects are CONSTANTLY attracted to it.
      The attraction is proportional to the distance, which is exactly what we would expect if the curvature is proportional to distance. Far away, the object’s path will only bend towards it a little bit but closer to it it will bend more. The path will either collide with the source of curvature, pass by it while bending towards it, or orbit around it.

>Which implies a constant energy.
      Nope, just objects moving along "straight" lines, which requires no energy.

Anonymous

Why when we throw a ball on earth it doesnt go in a straight line around the earth aswell?

Anonymous

if you throw it fast enough it does. it would fall around the earth given that there is no atmosphere to make it burn up from friction. in space its easier. give an object enough horizontal velocity and it will endlessly fall around the earth. its what we do since the 50s with satellites

Anonymous

In practice it doesn’t. In principle it does. The reason you don’t know this is the same you don’t understand general relativity – lack of knowledge. Now, I mean what I just said in the most friendly way possible.

You’re curious and show critical thinking Anon, these is very valuable traits.

When you ask these specific questions about summarized concepts you will get answers that are a mix of superficial generalizations that provide no useful information, thorough answers backed by facts that you don’t have the prerequisite knowledge to understand and traditional /sci answers(IE; variations of calling you a stupid scrote)

What you need to do is instead ask for information on how best to develop your understanding of a given subject to the point that you can understand what you’re asking about. /Sci are uncharacteristically helpful when someone ask about good books or lectures in fact. You will get a more positive response to your threads this way.

I hope this helps Anon. Our existence is weird and confusing and the curiosity that drives us to find out is what makes us human. Good luck.

Anonymous

We tried doing that once. It burnt up in the atmosphere before any real data could be collected.

Anonymous

It goes in a "straight" line relative to the strong spacetime curvature near the Earth’s surface. If you "threw" it hard enough from the right position you could indeed get it into orbit, if that’s what you’re asking.

Anonymous

Because your a scrote who doesn’t understand how intrinsic curvature works and are using a terrible analogy. A better analogy would be two dots on a sphere, both starting a quarter circumference away on the equator and moving on a circle path towards the north pole. The dots get closer together by simply moving on the spherical equivalent of a "straight line". Spacetime isn’t a 2d fabric its a 4d object where because of curvature, straight lines can move closer together unlike in non curved euclidian space.

Anonymous

ok but that only explains why objects that are already moving get closer to the object thta curves the space time
        what about when we just drop something here on earth and it falls down?

Anonymous

All objects are moving through time. The curvature is in spacetime, not just space.

Anonymous

ok but why does moving through time implies movement at all? you are not explaining why without applying energy objects fall ti the ground

Anonymous

Because there is a relationship between moving through space and moving through time. They are not separate.

>you are not explaining why without applying energy objects fall ti the ground
              I did: it takes no energy for objects to move along "straight lines."

Anonymous

>you are not explaining why without applying energy objects fall ti the ground
              There is no friction in a vacuum, dumbshit.

If you accelerate something in space in keeps going at that speed forever until another force stops it. Things stop moving down here on Earth because of friction.

Anonymous

There’s a reason why it’s called relativity, scrotebrain. Everything in spacetime is RELATIVE to one another, there is no universal coordinate system or special medium that everything is moving through, it’s simply due to differences in particular frames of reference and how they’re measured. You’re thinking too much in terms of Newtonian physics, which is great for generalizing the laws of physics in our frame of reference, but doesn’t take into account other frames of reference. Gravity is a pseudo-force that doesn’t require energy to accelerate objects, because objects aren’t really accelerating they’re only following the straightest possible path that they can take through spacetime which happens to be curved due to gravity.

Anonymous

I can undestand gravity making objects go around an orbit because they try to follow the straightest possible path and space-time is curved.
                But that doesn’t explain why an apple falls to the ground.
                You can move through time without moving through space. So an object doesn’t need to take any path through space as time passes unless it was already moving.
                And if the rotation of earth is what makes things move but then their trayjectory is redirected downguards due to gravity, then shouldn’t objects move at least a little horizontaly before falling down?

Anonymous

>you can move through time without moving through space
                  Again, you’re thinking in terms of Newtonian physics. Space and time are not separate things, they are one thing, spacetime. Moving through time means moving through space and vice versa.
                  >And if the rotation of earth is what makes things move but then their trayjectory is redirected downguards due to gravity, then shouldn’t objects move at least a little horizontaly before falling down?
                  No because they’re in our frame of reference, the apple, us, and the earth are all moving in the same frame of reference, hence when you drop an apple it appears to be falling straight, but it would appear to move horizontally with the direct that the earth was spinning in another reference frame.

Anonymous

How does time passing make things move through space?

Anonymous

Things move through spacetime, because they’re relative to one another.

Anonymous

What are you saying, that between the apple and the ground the spacetime shrinks or something like that? Otherwise idk what you guys mean when you say things move cus relativity.

Anonymous

Because we are in a non-inertial frame of reference, so that kind of autonomous acceleration can exist within our frame.

Anonymous
              Anonymous

An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion only holds in certain frames of reference. If I myself am driving and start accelerating, from my POV objects seem to autonomously accelerate in the direction opposite to me – this happens because the frame where I am accelerating is not an inertial frame. A similar concept applies in general relativity with the special feature that for curved spacetimes there are no inertial frames period.

Anonymous

Spacetime is curved*
        Since objecs on a spacetime manifold will move forward among a timelike geodesic unless acted on by an externall force, if the spacetime manifold is flat, there won’t be an acceleration between the two objects.
        But say instead that spacetime is curved, objects will "accelerate" (with respect to eachother) without any force acting on them.
        The sphere analogy given earlier by is pretty good

Anonymous

anon look up the definition of geodesic to understand it

Anonymous

>However, objects are CONSTANTLY attracted to it. Which implies a constant energy.
      please be bait. in case it isn’t i have two words that describe gravity both in newton and relativity. INVERSE SQUARE

Anonymous

Because it’s a model and not a divine truth injected into a perfect mind.

All models are wrong, some models are useful.

You are a dumb scrote and I wish you harm.

Anonymous

explain it righ now i bet you know nothing, and dont go on wikipedia now scrote

Anonymous

>constant force implies constant energy
      So a spring under compression is constantly producing energy? (Spoiler: no.)
      Go and learn some freaking BASIC physics before you come here spouting nonsense criticism of theories you don’t understand. I genuinely wish you the best of luck in learning physics, just please stop being scrotebrained.

Anonymous

a spring under compression does nothing
        gravity is constantly attracting stuff

Anonymous

>a spring under compression does nothing
          >gravity is constantly attracting stuff
          anon can you tell me what is force and what is energy? what do you think gravity is?

Anonymous

Seems to me like its a way for scientists to cope and not admit that infinite energy exists.
            To apply a force, an amount of energy is required and gravity is constantly working therefore its constantly extracting energy form somewhere to keep it up.

Anonymous

>the absolute state of american education
              we literally learned this in primary school here.

Anonymous

there is literal photographic evidence you’re a brainlet

Anonymous

>evidence
        I know a hollowed out Dyson sphere when I see one. How could a Dyson sphere even exist if gravity were a real thing. Don’t be so stupid.

Anonymous

why do things orbit?
      >cos they follow a straight line curved by space-time

why do stuff fall to earth here on earth then?
      >cos gravity is a continuous pull

wait didn’t you say it was just a space-tiem curvature? now you say its a continuos pull? which one is it?
      >I, uuuh… hahaha lmao

They have taken us for fools.

Anonymous

Glad to see there are more and more people who realize scientists don’t know what the fuck they are talking about.
        Everything they say is full of contradictions and holes.

Anonymous

>why do stuff fall to earth here on earth then?
        cos they follow a straight line curved by space-time

Anonymous

You scrotes said that they only follow a straight line if they were already moving

Anonymous

every object is "already moving". it’s moving through space-time.

Anonymous

Like how our solar system is moving around the galaxy?

Anonymous

everything. a stationary object is also moving through the 4-dimensional spacetime, it just means that its trajectory is orthogonal to the 3-dimensional slice that you perceive as "the present".

Anonymous

but why would it have to move in space just because it’s moving in the time dimension? Things in euclidean space can be stationary, why can’t things be stationary even in the curved space?

Anonymous

every object is moving through spacetime, whether this object is stationary or not in "space" depends on the observer. this true already in classical mechanics, driver of a car perceives the moving car as stationary.

Anonymous

Because time is also curved, think of a sphere where the latitude represents time and the longitude represents space, objects will natrually get closer as time increases.

Anonymous

Not the guy you’ve been talking to but this analogy finally helped me get it. Thank you.
                  I think part of the difficulty in conveying this topic is things like OPs image inherently make people think “3D space” without time involved to the degree that it is.

Anonymous

>Because time is also curved,
                  >What is entropy

Anonymous

I hate this board

Anonymous

>Where does that constant energy come from?
      Neither gravity nor electromagnetism have the answer to where do they come from, it’s unknown.

Anonymous

>Space does not curve indefinitely towards the object of greater mass, but only once.

Anonymous

>objects in space suck space-time indefinetely
        >but space is limited

Well, which one is it söyence fan?

Anonymous

He’s right, your statements make no sense at all. Go take some physics classes.

Anonymous

>didn’t answer

Anonymous

>>sjhefkjshfekjes
              >>bykjscbjdlawd
              >well, which one is it?
              how to answer this type of question?

Anonymous

It’s literally what other people here have told me.
                It seems like you guys can’t even come to an agreement among yourselves.

Anonymous

she’s literally me

Anonymous

ok non scrotebrained question here. how tf is space time quantized and smoothly curved at the same time??????

Anonymous

>space time quantized
        another non scrotebrain question: what does it even mean for spacetime to be quantized? here is what does it "mean" for spacetime to be smoothly curved: spacetime is a 4-dimensional pseudo-riemannian manifold with a non-zero curvature tensor. what does it "mean" to be quantized?

Anonymous

>another non scrotebrain question: what does it even mean for spacetime to be quantized

The model "spacetime" is the quantification. For what…they can’t even explain because it assume "time" and "space" are a dimension/have properties to be measured.

>here is what does it "mean" for spacetime to be smoothly curved: spacetime is a 4-dimensional pseudo-riemannian manifold with a non-zero curvature tensor. what does it "mean" to be quantized?

Basically from what I’ve gathered when they speak of it, it’s geomancy of "geometry" itself. Which is funny because geometry can’t even be accurately described with math in the first place…and yet somehow it’s "quantized".

Anonymous

quantized means all sizes of spacetime are integer times smallest quantity possible. in other words discrete rather than continuous. smoothly curved means it’s continuous and differentiable everywhere.

Anonymous

It’s a theory, anon. Not a fact. We know what theos in theory means. Either belive it blindly or don’t belive it at all.

Anonymous

I know youre a schizo so you wont actually read this. You are moving through time, gravity warps space time to turn part of that temporal velocity into spatial velocity but its magnitude is still the same.

Anonymous

>gravity warps space time
        Wrong, please get off and go back to /pol if you cant understand all the nuances

Anonymous
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.