Why do people hate WiFi so much?

Home Forums Science & tech Why do people hate WiFi so much?

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why does this board hate wifi so damn much? I know that due to the law of physics it will never be as good as ethernet cable, but wifi 6 might as well be wired internet due to how good and stable it is.

Anonymous

Its like hookers and ur mom. hookers might be able to suck my dick well enough to make me bust but theyll never be as good as ur moms wet mouth

Anonymous

>Why does this board hate wifi so damn much
      Because this board is primarily comprised of social outcasts and contrarian scrotebrains. And LULZ tourists who think it makes them more l33t.

Anonymous

because i literally couldnt do anything on my linux because wi-fi drivers werent working. so i had to pull out my long ass ethernet cable just to get to package manager

Anonymous

Sounds like a Linux problem buddy

Anonymous

This board hates wifi because they are poorscrotes who use Linux(R) operating system, and it doesn’t have any Wi-Fi(R) drivers.

Anonymous

Wifi 6 has an upcoming specification that allows you to track endpoints through walls and create a heatmap of the physical locations of each device woke af on it’s proximity/direction from the router.

Anonymous

>oh no, the government knows that I sit in my basement all day!!! they know my smart tv is in my Livingroom!!!!!! HOW WILL I LIVEE!!!!!!
        im not some glowie scrote but know how to pick your battles anon. unless its realtime and also is integrated into a swat van’s intel gathering tech it doesnt matter if you’re just smart about not buys smart shit and keeping your phone off in your house

Anonymous

>im not some glowie scrote
          That sounds exactly like what a glowscrote would say.

Anonymous

bluetooth 5.2 has the same thing. it’s for adjusting transmission power woke af on distance instead of making an educated guess.

Anonymous

>unless its realtime and also is integrated into a swat van’s intel gathering tech
          Why couldn’t it be?
          You’re missing the point here. It’s never acceptable to let known bad actors spy on you no matter what their intentions may be. You don’t know what they’re actually doing, only what they say they are, and you don’t know what they might do with this information 10 years from now either.

Anonymous

>smith, get the location data of anon ten years ago, we need to know what drove him to reenact the killdozer incident
            >sir, by our wifi data, he seemed to be sitting at his computer all day
            >check another day, we need to know how he learned to build it, maybe he went to a welding class, check his phone data
            >sir it seems that he must have left his phone at his desk because it doesnt move
            >well check the record 5 years from then, what was he doing?
            >this data must be glitched, the heatmap hasn’t changed from his basement, in fact its only gotten more concentrated
            >come on smith he must have gotten up at some point! food, water, to piss even, who doesnt look at their phone in the bathroom?
            >I dont know what to tell you sir
            >well no matter, just pull up the records of our infared spy satellite, fbi van audio recordings of his neighborhood, the ultrasonic radar scans of his house, the underground microseismic monitoring data, phone records, internet metadata, search history, text messages sent and received, social security number, job records, and banking information.
            >sir why didnt we just do that before?
            >fuck you smith the heatmap is cool

I agree with you its just funny

Anonymous

GLOWscroteS GO TO HELL

Anonymous

there’s probably nothing preventing the glowies from doing that already. You can triangulate a source’s position from 3 different points most likely. Also why would they need that when they can just microwave your entire house or shut off the power, it’s not like some super secret conspiracy force would care about you anyway

Anonymous

>due to the law of physics it will never be as good as ethernet cable
      answered your own question. Gigabit ethernet just werks and has just werked for donkey’s years. Unless you physically damage the cable it’s plug it in and go and never have to worry about it again. Wi-fi is this stupid finicky shit that has a new generation of technology every few years to try and slowly inch up towards ethernet speeds. If you aren’t going through too many walls. Or walls made of the wrong thing. And the radio environment isn’t too noisy. And if you fuck around with some nonfree firmware blobs. And if the client and access point play nice with each other and are both willing to do that multi-channel crap. And you might have to play with the antennae and point them different ways. And if the phase of the moon is right. etc etc.

Anonymous

There’s literally zero wifi AC or AX devices that have open source drivers so it’s a pain in the ass to install nonfree wifi drivers on debian when you need internet to download those drivers.

Anonymous

>have phone
        >connect phone to pc
        >usb tethering
        >download all the drivers you need
        >connect 2 wifi
        it’s that easy brah!

Anonymous

That only works because tethering emulates an Ethernet over USB device and you’re still using non-free firmware on your phone to make this work.

Anonymous

my laptop has a wifi 6 intel card and it works fine with debian

Anonymous

You installed intel-iwlwifi from non-free.

Anonymous

nope. never touched non-free.

Anonymous

>wifi 6 might as well be wired internet due to how good and stable it is.
      this, I moved and couldn’t run ethernet in new home, so I got wifi 6 and I literally don’t notice a difference

Anonymous

it’s overuse due to laziness to set up wired makes it congested and even less reliable for everyone

Anonymous

>weefee

Asking to get owned. inb4 schizo/meds/other dumb ass shit you scrotes say, I’m not literally sending my computer’s traffic into the air you freaking idiots.

Anonymous

Don’t you have a phone

Anonymous

>I know that due to the law of physics it will never be as good as ethernet cable
      The opposite is true. Light travels faster than electricity.

Anonymous

Is this sis for real?

Anonymous

Did you actually think that electricity could travel through a wire faster than the speed of light? Obviously a wireless signal is going to be faster.

Anonymous

you are very scrotebrained, I pray for you.
            wifi waves aren

Anonymous

>wifi waves aren
              Finish your sentence, friend. Wifi waves aren’t what?

Anonymous

deez nuts

Anonymous

>blocks your path

Anonymous

>feeds my router with yummy fast internet that is then transmited over the air to my phone allowing me to watch hentai of cute muscular girls.
              Woke af

Anonymous

The speed of light in a fiber optic cable is approximately two thirds of what it is in air

Anonymous

you are very scrotebrained, I pray for you.
          wifi waves aren

>I know that due to the law of physics it will never be as good as ethernet cable
          On the contrary. Due to laws of physics, electromagnetic signals that propagate through air travel faster than signals that propagate through cables.
          source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_factor

Anonymous

But the fact that it needs to travel through the air (and many times through solid objects) means that that advantage is mitigated.

Anonymous

How? Traveling through the air is an advantage, and the solid objects that it has to pass through only put it closer to copper for the brief time it’s passing through them.

Anonymous

Woke af scrotebrain

Anonymous

you’re the scrotebrain, scrotebrain

Anonymous

You don’t understand physics

Anonymous

laws of physics talk about destructive interference as well buddy
            interference on cable is several orders of magnitude lower than on wireless
            in fact wifi in general is way worse nowadays than 10 years ago because every single dumb scrote got a wifi modem now, so the entire 12 or 13 channels are infested with interference.
            I used to get random cuts on wifi, switched to ethernet and it’s just like I remember wifi from 5 years ago.

Anonymous

scrotes getting access to the internet was a mistake

Anonymous

>bandwidth priority
      >zero faults
      >zero packet loss
      >zero latency issues
      >zero troubleshooting
      >just werks
      You’re a tech illiterate, leave the board thank you

Anonymous

Im tech illeterate because i need to access a zoom class on my library and i dont have an ethernet port nearby…
        I bet you use wifi every single day scrote.

Anonymous

Of course, on my smartphone 🙂

Stop babbling zoomer, you don’t want me to place an improvised Arduino jammer near your house and ban you off the internet forever

Anonymous

Whatever scrote

tfw sniff the packets of a cute grill

Kek

Anonymous

Most importantly
      >zero locked out scenarios
      Don’t get me started on how compulsory this is, newscrote

Anonymous

Sending your traffic in the air for anyone to sniff is scrotebrained

Anonymous

tfw sniff the packets of a cute grill

Anonymous

sniff my poopyhole scrote

Anonymous

I don’t hate wifi, but prefer ethernet.

Anonymous

I don’t hate wireless I hate the scrotebrains who are pushing it as some sort of replacement for cables instead of being a simple feature for convenience. Wifi works like a network hub from decades ago, it’s always going to be slower than a proper switched ethernet network and that is why precisely zero data centers use wifi to communicate, when it would have obvious benefits over dealing with a horrible rat’s nest.

Anonymous

Wireless interference is the major issue and the issue isn’t even so much that it provides a degraded experience as much that it provides an inconsistent jittery experience.

Although there’s also nitpicks like having to use CSMA/CA which is what is alluding to.

Anonymous

WiFi gave normies easy access to the internet. All of them shit eating scum. Ex-ISP phone monkey.

Anonymous

>wifi 6 might as well be wired internet due to how good and stable it is.
      Stop saying this shit. I can always tell when you wifi scrotes are playing online games because it says you have 50 ping but your connection is more like 200.

Anonymous

i don’t hate wifi, it’s great

>but wifi 6 might as well be wired internet due to how good and stable it is.
      no absolutely not
      wifi will always have packet loss, if you’re looking for high-reliability communication, you will NEVER be able to use wifi

no, you don’t have "the good router", no you aren’t "sitting close enough to the router where it shouldn’t matter"
      you have packet loss, you are the weak link of the connection, admit and accept that you are the problem because you couldn’t be bothered to directly wire for what is otherwise a wired connection for 99.999…9% of the distance span to what you’re trying to communicate with
      wifi is the sole weak link

Anonymous

*Wifi6e
      Wifi6 is nothing of value.

Anonymous

That’s not remotely true. The speed of light is significantly faster in air than it is in copper, and can take a more direct route than through a cable. The laws of physics set a much more favorable bound on wifi than they do on ethernet.
      Wifi sucks because of implementations, not physics.

Anonymous

Wifi has a significant latency advantage over ethernet physics-wise. The problem is that Wifi is much more complex and has to transmit through a much less controlled environment, so there are many more opportunities to accidentally introduce unnecessary latency in Wifi than in ethernet. And since most consumer Wifi implementations prioritize cost over absolute minimization of latency, you usually end up with at least one device (either the client or the access point) that fucks something up and raises latency. And because the environment is more complex than a single run of shielded copper (walls, multipathing, unpredictable spikes of interference), something can change and cause a frame to be dropped pretty often, which requires a retransmission and accordingly higher latency.

The real reason that ethernet is generally better than wifi is that nobody cares enough to put in the effort to make wifi better than ethernet. It’s good enough.

Anonymous

>nobody cares enough to put in the effort to make wifi better than ethernet
        unless you implement some weird free space optical setup, no, it will never be better than wired.

Anonymous

>weird free space optical setup
          What do you mean anon? EM radiation travels at the speed of light, and air has almost exactly the same speed of light as free space.

Anonymous

>What do you mean anon?
            you can’t have a switched network with wifi due to collisions, this is going to put a hard cap on your speed, getting slower and slower the more devices you use and the more networks you have in one area
            the only solution is to imlpement networking over free space optical links which are direct instead of broadcasting omnidirectionally, but this really wouldn’t be wifi, it’d be a new standard.

Anonymous

You can always raise bandwidth and reduce interference by allocating more spectrum. The main problem people have with wifi is latency, which is what’s being talked about.

Anonymous

it’s still a hard limit which wires simply do not have, and yes it’ll increase your latency too, more collisions means more packet loss.

Anonymous

>the only solution is to imlpement networking over free space optical links which are direct instead of broadcasting omnidirectionally
              uhm, you do understand that there are directional antennas, right? what you describe is exactly how 5g works, beam forming is a thing you don’t need optical lenses for and you don’t even need to be on the visible spectrum either.

Anonymous

I love wifi.
      It’s so insecure it literally blast packets to anyone and everyone around who is willing to listen.
      And none of my neighbors bother enough to rotate passwords on theirs. About a days worth of sniffing data, 2 weeks of cracking and i have 3-4 networks I can torrent from without getting in trouble with the gubbimint.

Anonymous

There’s a good reason to hate wifi in general, most consoooomer wifi routers can’t offer the same latency that ethernet can. Most are black boxes where manufacturer’s chuck smartphone guts from a decade ago and upcharge the hell out of. If you look at the specifications very few even use x86 processors, the rest use ARM cortex A53 or worse.

Anonymous

Now keep in mind I’m not saying a wifi router is going to benefit from something like an i9 overclocked to 6GHz using 5,000 Mhz DDR4 RAM and an optane SSD. But ARM for the most part has some of the most ultra dogshit single core/SIMD performance which is why it desperately needs all kind of hardware acceleration to be useful even for web browsing.

Anonymous

Afaik neon has comparable performance to simd, it’s just companies just don’t care about routers

Anonymous

Or MAYBE, just maybe a chinese knockoff x86 processor isn’t going to perform very well when it really matters. Just a wild guess.

Anonymous

I gotta say that wifi 6 has impressed me. I’m happy with wifi and was gaming on it forever while renting, but now that I own a house, I’ve got wired ethernet running to almost all the bedrooms in my house.
      I also updated to 2 chinkshit Xiaomi wifi 6 mesh routers and wire meshed them together to get solid signal strength through the whole house and I picked up an oculus quest 2 to play hl:alyx and boneworks.
      Yes, I suck zuck’s cock to save a lot on vr, but I’m really impressed with oculus air link. It totally works and around 90% of the time, there’s no streaming lag. The compression artifacting still happens, but it’s night and day compared to steam in-home streaming if I try to play Destiny, which seems to have about 300ms lag whatever I do, and my laptop is wifi 5, which should be fine but it’s clearly not.

Anonymous

>300ms lag
        What in the actual fuck anon. My wifi (which is not wifi6) introduces like 0.7ms of additional latency over ethernet. What the fuck is wrong with your laptop?

Anonymous

lol see

There’s a good reason to hate wifi in general, most consoooomer wifi routers can’t offer the same latency that ethernet can. Most are black boxes where manufacturer’s chuck smartphone guts from a decade ago and upcharge the hell out of. If you look at the specifications very few even use x86 processors, the rest use ARM cortex A53 or worse.

Anonymous

because my linux has no wifi driers

Anonymous

I can repair every point of failure in a cable setup, can you diagnose and repair a wifi router?

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

>thinking magical air internet can ever defeat contained and focused wire internet
      I don’t care if you have to freaking run a goddamn wire all the way up from your freaking basement and trip over it every time you go downstairs, it’s 9598935% better than anything wifi can ever do and you should freaking do it.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.