Why does psychedelics makes people believe that there’s something more “out there”

Home Forums General & off-topic Why does psychedelics makes people believe that there’s something more “out there”

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why does psychedelics makes people believe that there’s something more “out there”
      Science and drugs general I guess.

Anonymous

It doesn’t just make you "believe", dude, it actually expands your conscience so you’re starting to see what’s not there and, like, understand how things really work.

Anonymous

This but unironically and /thread

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/0IJpUlH.gif

Woke af. Too bad most entities won’t see past ego games and socially reinforced bias.

Anonymous

Can you explain the ego games?

Anonymous

Survival is diametrically opposed to truth. Reality is a field in which everything can be extracted from it. We are all fragments of God more or less subconsciously imagining itself outside of time and space, but God isn’t external to "what is". We are it. Nothingness is infinite potentialities, and awareness is self-realized within those dualities woke af on divine intuition.

Anonymous

Lol I get it now

Anonymous

Ealmost everyone I have ever met who’s done psycadellics parrots some derivation of this phrase

>except for my oldest sis when he told me about his DMT experience "I literally met god"
        I had a good laugh with the lad over that

Anonymous

>Be druggie
        >Take LSD
        >See weird patterns on walls
        >Have a funny inner monologue
        >Think you’re reborn or ascended
        Do druggies really? That was your brain melting

Anonymous

>be NPC
          >have no idea what you’re talking about
          >post anyway

Anonymous

>be schizo
            >take lsd
            >become even a bigger schizo
            >call other non-schizos NPCs for not being like you
            You’re unironically cringe

Anonymous

Wow really? You mean the drugs I took altered my brain? That changes everything.. I had no idea…

Anonymous

You druggies are funny.

Anonymous

bait

[…]

because of the dearth in consciousness research now (both behavioral and subjective consciousness) there isn’t really a "good" answer to this question.

one good idea that came out of some MRI scans on people undergoing a psych trip is the entropic brain hypothesis that relates to the "default mode network" brain activity structure that mediates consciousness.

in my layman’s understanding, these drugs redistribute the functioning of your DMN where they can reach the rest of your brain. it’s pretty much Huxley’s "reducing valve", but actual.

Anonymous

Temporarily reverses the materialism-induced atrophy in your brain so you can see the obvious.

Anonymous

Been thinking about this a lot. Also really curious about the similarities between doing things like DMT and people having near death experiences, been seeing some parallels. Namely,

>entity comes to pick them up to head into the next plane
      >time no longer makes sense
      >thoughts communicated telepathically and not through language
      >meeting god(s)
      >reflection on traumas

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous

My experience is that psychedelics remove barriers in your brain and cause you to "realize" things that may or may not be true. It does seem incredibly obvious at the time but then when you sober up and think about it rationally, you can’t quite convince yourself.

Anonymous

You know when you dream and you think everything that’s happening, no matter how absurd it is, is totally real ?
      I think it’s a similar thing, you lose your ability to critically think about what you’re experiencing so if you see or feel a weird entity or you’re exploring another world it’s simply the real thing.
      If you’re inclined to the paranormal you just keep believing in it even when not on drugs because it felt so real.

Anonymous

it is literally an emotional disorder related an inability to perceive & experience wonder
      people are using harsh chemicals in order to produce a childlike sense of wonder
      there are milder ways of doing this, but drugs are going to work for some people
      in fact, most people will be better off experimenting with walking & solitude & breathing
      if you can mentally shut off guilt & embarrassment feelings using tricks that may help

Anonymous

>if you can mentally shut off guilt & embarrassment feelings using tricks that may help
        Care to elaborate anon?

Anonymous

[…]
        […]
        >literal NPCs

kys scrotebrain if you cannot find true beauty by just taking a walk in nature and seeing how much bigger and wondrous life and reality is then you’re the npc

Anonymous

>literal NPC continues to misunderstand

Anonymous

>can see sounds and smell abstract ideas on shrooms
        >when they are at 10% intensity (before things become inexpressible)
        >dude just take a walk for the same kind of thing

Anonymous

Because it makes you feel ineffable things. Try to describe the color green to someone who is blind from birth. You’ll find it to be utterly impossible.

Similarly, people who take psychedelics experience something far more profound that is just as ineffable.

Now, there is no reason to think what they experienced is representative of "true reality", BUT the mere fact that a human brain is capable of having such experiences is enough to be impressed and sent down a philosophical rabbit hole

Anonymous

on the one hand i find it interesting what kind of effects these drugs have on the brain but on the other i have the strange suspicion that in the future psychedelics are going to be used to essentially control the population by therapists and universities so on. you would think that this type of "liberating" drug would have the opposite effect but so far the biggest push for legalization is for mental disorder/PTSD treatment. and the state of the brain in a drugged condition is extremely malleable. it will be used to condition people to be content with current modes of life wherein they would otherwise become catatonic. is this unreasonable to believe?

Anonymous

>it will be used to condition people to be content with current modes of life wherein they would otherwise become catatonic
        >is this unreasonable to believe?
        What you’re suggesting is perfectly in line with the methods and aims of the mental health industry, however, the types of suggestions that psychedelics make the mind most amenable to, are out of line with cynical materialism.

Anonymous

As a ex-abuser and STEM scrote, I personally think that the brain has some kind of pattern and data stored since birth which relates to experiencing reality. Due to the effects of the drugs these built in patters get shaken up, they receive weird info and connect to places they were not quite meant to connect to leaving to changed pathways.
      People who experience this tend to think this is opening their third eye and shit. I think its most comparable to the difference between how you processed reality as a child and how you process it now. Not that they mature you or something, just that the feeling has some similarities, but much more rapid

Anonymous

If drugs can change my perception of reality, then how the fuck do we know if what we normally perceive as reality is really reality? Our brain is still operating off of chemicals either way.

Anonymous

They do not change your perception of reality, idiot. Everything is the same, you’re just hallucinating.

Anonymous

There is a surface of all possible experience. Your experience is delineated by a circle on that surface. Most people think their circle is all of reality. Psychedelics create a break in the edge of the circle that forces you to reconcile that there is a universe outside your perceptual circle. That’s my experience anyways.

Anonymous

Well think about it… The strongest psychedelic which often changes people’s view on reality is almost entirely non-visual (bufo alvarius venom)… So firstly I would disregard visual aspects, it is clearly the alteration in headspace that is doing what you say.

Now, a drug in itself cannot think. And this is important because it also has to be realized firstly that the "drug" is not itself thinking certain thought patterns, the mind is. The reason that’s important is that it is then of course hypothetically plausible that these exact same states are possible to achieve sober, and are just another element of your mind which exists whether you take drugs or not, or ever experience such a thing or not.

Because the alteration that matters is in headspace, is subjective, and not actually "thought up" by the drug but rather the mind, it’s not possible to say which view of reality is accurate.

If nothing about consensus reality changes at all, and no element of science changes at all, just a philosophical position, it can’t then be said that it is in any less valid.

Anonymous

Did you just cure me of addiction? Amazing under rated insight thanks anon

Anonymous

All the answers above are bullshit. The specific effect you’re describing is "novelty enhancement". Psychedelics dial up the feeling of novelty in the same way that a drug can dial up the intensity of any other mental processes like pleasure, fear, paranoia, love, etc. The feeling of something being novel is not something we normally think of as being affected by our mental state, but rather as an attribute of whatever it is we find interesting or not. Try writing down anything you think it’s profound while high and 9/10 when you’re sober it’ll be the most mundane crap. Psychedelics have been a midwit trap any time after the 70s.

Anonymous

You’ve never had a serious trip probably… You don’t know what your mind is capable of… The level of fear and panic on a bad 5-MeO-DMT trip is worse than literal death. I feel that when I die for real, it will be less frightening than the ordeals I have been through on DMT. It is not just the same shit but "novel" at all… One trip with 5-MeO and you will understand the entirety of the Upinashads. This shit does not occur to people naturally.

I’m a logical person. There is something to these compounds. They aren’t transporting you to other realms but they start killing off certain brain processes which have evolved over millions of years to funnel you into strict beliefs that benefit your survival… Theoretically there’s no limit we could ever discern in the field of mind, ours is limited by brain structure. But the possibilities of what could be experienced by mind given another structure in general is unfathomable…

Think of Darwinian evolution, think about the arbitrary nature of qualia (why should the way the external world appears only be understood by sight?), think about what traits are passed down through all these years… It is anti-survival to not have a sense of self and other, that is why ego death in particular is so profound as it is probably the most fundamental element evolved into the mind of any living creature.

Anonymous

>than the ordeals I have been through on DMT
          post some trip stories fren
          t. too scared to do anything other than the occasional weed
          >One trip with 5-MeO and you will understand the entirety of the Upinashads.
          quoi?

Anonymous

I’m my last trip I was dragged into a torture room by demons and broken down until I lost all sense of who I was. I was essentially reduced to a cornered animal. The demons told me even when the trip was over that I was still under their control and for a year afterwards every time I even got slightly upset I flashed back to them telling me I was still under their control. I don’t underestimate the impact they can have on our fragile brains, but it doesn’t take any profound philosophical insights to do so. Just a $5 wrench to the psyche.

Anonymous

i met a blue goddess who told me because i never waivered my belief in god regardless of what the world wanted me to believe, that she loved me dearly.

but yeah i agree its all just psyuchological shit. prob gave me what i wanted to here. honestly one of the most amazing experiences ever though, but that’s all it was i guess. an experience but not meaningful. not like i full on believe in god like going to church n stuff, more just like "a greater good that exists". i didnt even know it implied god in my psyche

Anonymous

Those aren’t demons anon, they’re projections of your imagination.

Anonymous

Atheists who use psychedelics don’t have spiritual experiences on them, and don’t report having changed from being atheists as a result of their experiences on psychedelics.
      If you harbor some magical thinking– if you sometimes wish upon a star, or throw pennies into fountains, or say a little prayer and buy a lottery ticket, then you might encounter spirits and have mystical adventures in psychedelics. But if all of that is nonsense that just doesn’t routinely occur to you at all, then you’ll have an interesting time thinking thoughts and maybe experiencing different kinds of hallucinations. But it won’t be much different from watching a really impactful and fascinating, though disjointed and plotless movie in your head.

Anonymous

checked

Anonymous

>Atheists who use psychedelics don’t have spiritual experiences on them
        Utterly false, unless we’re talking about your brand of cattle-brained nu-atheism, which results from some kind of brain atrophy.

Anonymous

Fucks with your pattern recognition, leading to new perceived patterns, or patterns that didn’t exist within the initial paradigm.

Anonymous

*couldn’t exist

Anonymous

I was watching The Incredibles 2 while tripping on LSD and it was freaking crazy. It felt like there was no difference between me and the characters, and every emotion they felt was my emotion. If psychedelics ever become legal I have a business idea to create a psychedelic movie theater

Anonymous

That’s awesome haha. If you had enough starting capital, you could probably start testing the idea in small ways in Oregon. Tightly regulate how much each person is given, as a show of integrity. Might have to worry about fed raids tho.

Anonymous

I was put on ketamine twice while in the hospital. Everything that happens to you seems and feels real, even more real than real (like 4k picture looks better than reality). And then there is intuitive knowledge that just appears in your head, you know things, but not in the same way as you know that sky is blue, for example.
      So it makes very easy to believe in things for those who already want to believe and look for this shit in their lives. To me it was just a fun experience while also being a huge pain relief.

Anonymous

Interesting. I wish you can elaborate on this part
        >And then there is intuitive knowledge that just appears in your head, you know things, but not in the same way as you know that sky is blue, for example.

Anonymous

because the experiences you make transcend and break all categories that your mind had built up through the course of your life.***

*** given that you take a lot (in my case 6g of cubensis)

Jesus

try and find out.

Anonymous

>humans crave meaning
      >take substance that connects a bunch of parts of your brains
      >experience emotions that don’t even really have terms
      >see that the line between reality and hallucinations is mostly arbitrary
      >can help reset your brain to a fresh state
      you get what can be considered a religious experience and your brains in a fresher/looser/more openminded state – how else would you expect people to rationalize it?

Anonymous

It makes you question scientific realism since what you observe with a sober mind is still just in your head. What a sober healthy mind can observe is curated by evolution. We can only observe things that were relevant to the survival of the species.

Anonymous

Yeah exactly. People lol at insights like this because they associate it with pot or random acid trips. People who discuss nonduality who were brought to it by experience and not choice, have done HARD psychedelics like bufo or DMT in big doses.

Anonymous

What happened to the Nootropics? Was there simply nothing to those drugs? Just another 90s fad that came and went?

Anonymous

They were "drugs" for people too scared to use drugs. AKA homeopathy and placebo tier BS…

Phenibut works but is an actual drug essentially, and can cause fatal withdrawals like benzos and alcohol. Acts similar to those substances and GHB.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/ky5asHV.gif

Types of people who participate in these discussions:
      >people who dismiss psychedelics because they have some emotional hangups wrt. drug usage
      >people who took 2 grams of shrooms that one time, and think they understand what the experience is all about
      >people who took more than they should have, and think the resulting delusions and brainfarts have taught them something about reality
      >people who took more than they should have, and think the resulting delusions and brainfarts refute the psychedelic experience
      I guess it’s just not for everyone…

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/eGS4KpR.gif

woke af frog licker

Anonymous

What else is there? What are YOUR thoughts in the subject?

Anonymous

Not that anon, but I grew up in a household where religion/spirituality/whatever wasn’t ever emphasized if barely spoken about at all.
          Balls deep in a psychology degree and hoping to become a clinical psych. I took DMT under a controlled environment where there was a Peruvian ‘shaman'(?) overlooking it.

Anyway, I uh, don’t know what to tell you anon but after that experience.. fuck man it’s really hard to not be able to express these things in this field or STEM fields – because I tried to onetime, and holy fuck, the absolutely dogmatic attitudes I began perceive, like science was a religion in itself. Now I’m stuck in the middle of thinking both mainstream and organized religion is dumb shit and the "if science can’t prove it then it’s pseudoscience" approach is just as scrotebrained.

It turns out, people care less about knowledge and understanding truth then they care about social status, filling a role, fitting in, and adhering to the status quo just so they aren’t outsiders. Now I’m looking back on my life, wondering what the fuck have I missed because I also applied this approach for sometime, albeit unconsciously or subconsciously I suppose.

If you’re going to DMT or any psychedelic substance with the impression "haha i cant wait to see how bullshit it is" or some kind of smart aleck atittude – prepare your freaking anus because that’s exactly what I did and WHATEVER it was that I "met" during the trip, gave me the freaking lecture of a lifetime.. and that’s an understatement.

Things are far more complicated then breaking shit down into fractions and theoritical approach anon.. The TruF iS oUt TheRe AnoN

Anonymous

This post is peak mid wit. Seriously you can’t even argue your first point let alone make a sequitur.

Am I to believe you’re above the age of 18 and have had an existential crisis before?

Anonymous

I don’t give a shit what you believe lol

Anonymous

Great to see you have a nice developed world view whilst blasting others for not having one!

Anonymous

Akchtually if you scroll up a little bit, and see the post I was responding to, the question was
                  >What are YOUR thoughts in the subject?

if my THOUGHTS offended you, then maybe you shouldn’t be in whatever the fuck it is that you do in science, because you’re not gonna make it.

Anonymous

It’s more that your THOUGHTS are completely hollow and vapid and you’re so devoid of thinking skills you completely missed the question which was about perceived participants in these discussion, with
                    >people who took more than they should have, and think the resulting delusions and brainfarts have taught them something about reality
                    being you.

Anonymous

being you.
                      Yep, I was talking about him there, but notice how you’re far more excited to engage with him, than you are with my response to your question.

Anonymous

I’m not offended by your thoughts but more the lack thereof.
                        Feel free to believe in the unpsecified dogmatic attitudes you, and no one else can see. But when you do make sure the board is >>>LULZ and not

[…]

Anonymous

How about learning to perceive who is behind what post before acting like you’re hot shit.

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

>I’m not offended by your thoughts
                        Where did I say you’re offended by my thoughts?

Anonymous

>if my THOUGHTS offended you

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/KkiuFVb.gif

That’s not my post, though.

Anonymous

>s-sure showed everyone how much spiritually superior i am to her fufun

Anonymous

>Great to see you have a nice developed world view whilst blasting others for not having one!

Maybe take your own advice

Anonymous

I haven’t made any world view in this thread nor have I said you’d need one.
                        Are you an ESL or just lacking in the head compartment?

Anonymous

>If you’re going to DMT or any psychedelic substance with the impression "haha i cant wait to see how bullshit it is"
            The scientific dogmas around this are incredibly foolish. There are infinite numbers of physical realms, civilizations and universes, we can be incarnated in many horrific experiences if we keep deluding ourselves within the optimization of survival for restricted belief systems and lifeforms. The point of survival is always more survival, but this doesn’t go anywhere nor is it the end goal of existence at all. Science is not bad, since it helps us having some not too random baseline of dream where we can make sense of reality, but it’s only useful up to the point it backfires in attachments.

Anonymous

>fuck man it’s really hard to not be able to express these things in this field or STEM fields – because I tried to onetime, and holy fuck, the absolutely dogmatic attitudes I began perceive, like science was a religion in itself. Now I’m stuck in the middle of thinking both mainstream and organized religion is dumb shit and the "if science can’t prove it then it’s pseudoscience" approach is just as scrotebrained.
            Explain what you mean. So you tried to talk about some spiritual experience in a STEM-field and didn’t like peoples reaction or what? I hope you aren’t disappointed if people don’t take everything you experienced on a drug trip as fact anon, that’s more of a problem with your own attitude.

Anonymous

Not so much my experience, more so the actual inquiry of
              >"What if it’s more then just hallucinations?"

You’ll get shut down quite quickly before you can even present a hypothesis.

Anonymous

Yeah because that argument has already been made a thousand times only this time you’re actually under the influence of something.

Feel free to think you’ve found some secret gateway to reality but we have a board for that >>>/x/. Come back to LULZ when you start accepting some basic fundementals about reality.

Anonymous

The question of
                  >"What if there is more to hallucinations?"
                  has been argued over a thousand times?

You don’t even know my argument, and the fact is that some people who experience them sometimes have such profound effects (whether negative or positive) that it can either improve/benefit or deteriorate someone’s life forever.

Also, pic related

Anonymous

Yes we get it. You took hallucinogens and are susceptible to psychosis, now please make your argument in an LULZ post because this isn’t science.

Anonymous

anon please, there are boards that are better suited for going full schizo

Anonymous

Calling me a schizo because you don’t want to respond to my posts isn’t science anon, maybe you should post in LULZ.

Anonymous

but anon, what you posted are literally just LULZ infographics

Anonymous

>doesn’t register the concept that image provides
                      >calls poster schizo
                      so kind of like when religious nuts don’t understand science, is that what you’re doing anon? yeesh

Anonymous

Doesn’t register with me, either. Is it supposed to demonstrate anything more than the fact that pop-sci figures aren’t really promulgating science?

Anonymous

these are good until it becomes clear whoever making them has an agenda they want to push, notice how at that point they stop being as cited

Anonymous

>these are good until they shit on aspects of my own cancerous world view

Anonymous

bold assumption anon I’m very much a race realist but the issue becomes forcing your beliefs half heartedly into something that starts off scientific, low quality half baked ideas in the second half hurt the first half there are much better arguments to be made about superiority of certain races or even that race may effect the quality of ones soul or spiritual side. Differences between races need to be acknowledged but the /poo/ tier shit does more to hurt that reality than help it.
                        >everyone who doesn’t blindly follow something must believe the exact opposite thing

Anonymous
                    Anonymous

I dunno why the anti-Semitic tropes are prevalent in this pic but I’m mostly posting it for the rest of the information.

Yes we get it. You took hallucinogens and are susceptible to psychosis, now please make your argument in an LULZ post because this isn’t science.

Your definition of science is flimsy because it’s constantly evolving. Meditation was also psuedoscience until we attached freaking nodes on the heads of those that practice it, and varying degrees of brain activity + density of gray matter increase was proven correct.

Anonymous

>Your definition of science
                      Have yet to give one anon. Please find help because you seem to be in a psychosis right now.

Anonymous

>now please make your argument in an LULZ post because this isn’t science.

Actually, you have a definition considering that whatever I presented wasn’t fit for your criteria. So while you haven’t implied what SCIENCE is, you’ve given what it isn’t. Therefore you have a definition of it. If what I have is apsychosis, at least it insinuates I have brain activity.. I’d rather that then whatever thick custard like substance it is, that you’re using to muster up an argument.

Now the next question is, who is really the scrotebrained one here? You? Or me arguing with custard.

I take my leave, Mr. dense yellow slop.

Anonymous

>you’ve given what it isn’t. Therefore you have a definition of it
                        Are all of you actually scrotebrained?

Anonymous

If you define something by the attributes it doesn’t have, then you’re automatically implying the attributes it does.. otherwise you couldn’t argue what it isn’t.

This is basic reasoning skills, the fuck is wrong with you?

Anonymous

>If you define something by the attributes it doesn’t have
                        He didn’t do that, either, though.

Anonymous

>now please make your argument in an LULZ post because this isn’t science.

It’s right there. He defined what my argument by what it wasn’t. So, uh yeah, you’re wrong I guess.

Anonymous

what my argument *was.

Are typos LULZ related content only guys? I’m not sure what the definition of science is, but I know what it isn’t thanks to you guys.

Anonymous

>He defined what my argument by what it wasn’t.
                        Defined being your post and not the definition of science.

Anonymous

If you use your navigation skills to a basic level of reading and/or comprehension you will see the unfolding discussion presented thusly
                        >I present argument
                        >Says argument isn’t scientific
                        >Address his comment, stating that his definition of science is subject to change
                        >Anon responds by saying he has yet to define what science is
                        >Proceed to ask anon what it is, since he is able to distinguish what it isn’t.
                        >Calls me scrotebrained

>If you define something by the attributes it doesn’t have, then you’re automatically implying the attributes it does
                        A banana isn’t a square…. Therefore it’s automatically a circle?

No.. what I was describing was called "a priori" as in, we know that all bachelors are unmarried because that is how you use the word BACHELOR.

What you are doing is, asking me a question that is aimed at fulfilling your agenda, not for a truth. Which is called a loaded question.

Here are some links you may find useful!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori_and_a_posteriori

Anonymous

Here’s an illustration, anon.

Anonymous

Oh my! It’s so coincidental that there’s an illustration for you here too! pic related

Please do not mix spirituality with anti-semitic and racist garbage.

That I apologized for further down the thread anon

Anonymous

Why are you seething? I just drew you a nice little picture explaining how you can tell what something is not, without telling what it is.

Anonymous

That’s not a comprehensive list of all the things science is not, anon.

Anonymous

>If you define something by the attributes it doesn’t have, then you’re automatically implying the attributes it does..

Anonymous

See pic related here

Forgot pic. Sorry was having psychosis and forgot to upload it.

Also, I got trips with 777. A sign from God?
                        Shit son. It’s a schizo season bonanza!

Anonymous

>See pic related here
                        You’ve yet to make a central point.

Anonymous

>If you define something by the attributes it doesn’t have, then you’re automatically implying the attributes it does
                        A banana isn’t a square…. Therefore it’s automatically a circle?

Anonymous

Can you read?

Anonymous

>he doesn’t understand even with concrete examples
                        Let him be. It’s hopeless.

Anonymous

Yeah which is why I showed you’re scrotebrained.
                        >>I present argument
                        This never happened.
                        >>Says argument isn’t scientific
                        Nor did this happened.
                        >>Address his comment, stating that his definition of science is subject to change
                        Self-fulfilling prophecy
                        >>Proceed to ask anon what it is,
                        Never happened:
                        > what I was describing was called "a priori" as in, we know that all bachelors are unmarried because that is how you use the word BACHELOR.
                        That’s not a priori thats a tautology.
                        Besides the point; you cannot infer someone’s definiton because one property doesn’t comply.

Anonymous

lmao what?

Anonymous

If a banana isn’t a square
                        then it means a square isn’t a banana.

What the fuck does a circle have to do with this?

Anonymous

>If a banana isn’t a square
                        >then it means a square isn’t a banana.
                        You think being banal is worth something?

Anonymous

@urselfawerness

Anonymous

>you’ve given what it isn’t. Therefore you have a definition of it
                        Are all of you actually scrotebrained?

also nice ad hominem. Guess where you are on the chart?

you can apply it to whatever I’ve said if you want as well but I’m merely just imitating you

Anonymous

Forgot pic. Sorry was having psychosis and forgot to upload it.

Anonymous

>Meditation was also psuedoscience until we attached freaking nodes on the heads of those that practice it, and varying degrees of brain activity + density of gray matter increase was proven correct.
                      Yes, and people beeing able to levitate or jump dimensions or beeing able to shoot fireballs out of their anus wasn’t proven correct. It’s just the very boring "working out your brain with specific exercises can have some cognitive benefits", wow. I bet very little people would have objected to that notion even back when mediation was studied less in the past.

Anonymous

Please do not mix spirituality with anti-semitic and racist garbage.

Anonymous
                    Anonymous
                Anonymous

>people shut me down before i can even explain how the machine elves are actually interdimensional beings
                I’m afraid selling that one to the science-mag-reading public is a tall order for a little guy like you, anon. Only Terence McKenna can get away with that.

Anonymous

What you make of what you see, is a function of what you understand. If you take too much — you see too much, and there’s nothing useful to make out of it. Somewhere between banality and delusion, there’s a space worth exploring; you will pass through it repeatedly as you swing back and forth, and you need to learn to recognize that space, so you could slow down a little and turn on your mental dictaphone. If you do it right, you will end up with experiences amenable to sober reflection, you will end up with new connections, you will end up with inspiration, you will end up with new avenues for artistic or intellectual exploration; if you let it all cook properly, you may end up with new understanding, so that you could make more of what you see next time. I also think the path from experiencing something that you don’t understand, to understanding an experience at face value, passes through intermediate understanding via metaphors and symbolism; that is to say, you shouldn’t dismiss outlandish experiences as meaningless, but you shouldn’t take them at face value, either, until you understand them.

Anonymous

100 posts later, still holds.

Anonymous

You’re smug scrote with 0 answers.

Anonymous

Look at this thread and tell me I’m wrong. What do you need answered, anyway?

Anonymous

>Why does psychedelics makes people believe that there’s something more “out there”
      >Science and drugs general I guess.
      Psychosis. This only happens to people susceptible to that.

Anonymous

Taking hallucinogenics changes braun activity similar to those observed in psychosis. A lot of the symptoms can be summarized in inabilities to properly attribute the causes of cognitions and sensations. E.g., one’s thoughts are belueved to come from outside, maybe feelings are induced by others. A disturbed cause effect perceptopn may also lead to the perception that others read one’s mind, or their random behavior is in some way relevant to oneself or one’s thoughts. This allows for all kinds of strange interpretations of world events: synchronicities, energy (feeling energy/aura is a misattribution of bodily sensations eg induced by stress), paranoia and other manias like relationship mania, etc.
      It gets worse when activity in higher perceptual areas (imagination) spill over to primary areas (perception) which leads to hallucinations. Now, not only is the ability to accurately interpret perceived events broken, but also perception itself.

Anonymous

Source? Most antipsychotic drugs work primarily by inhibiting dopaminergic pathways, whilst classical psychedelics work via a serotonergic mechanism. The "drug induced psychosis" is not typically the psychosis of a mental disorder w/r/t psychedelics, while stimulant psychoses exhibit extremely similar pathologies to "typical" psychotic episodes because their action mechanisms are also dopaminergic.

There is a serotonergic component to antipsychotics as well, which is why you can use drugs like risperdal or quetiapine to kill trips, because they have an inverse agonist or antagonistic mechanism for the 5-HT receptors that psychedelics work on, that exists alongside the dopaminergic mechanism.

In addition, the rise of first-occurring psychotic episodes related to drug use seem to be congruent with the idea of a stressful event being trigger for a latent mental illness, rather than a mechanism by the drug itself. This is supported by a recent survey in what I think was Denmark, that showed no significant correlation between drug use and mental illness, implying that drug use only exacerbates rather than causes mental illness.

I’m pretty certain that there are also reports about "real" or non-drug-related psychoses being qualitatively different from typical psychoses. Schizophrenics don’t usually rave on about pretty colors and shapes, only voices in their head, which afaik isn’t typical of a psychedelic experience.

It just seems indeterminate at best right now whether or not drug use can actually "cause" mental illness. I’ll grant it can turn you into a freaking nutcase though, given all of the intelligent people that take psychedelics and start to believe the hallucinations too much, but I have some trouble characterizing this as a typical "mental illness".

Anonymous

>narcissistic scrotes ruin yet another thread

Anonymous

Druggies are freaking scrotebrained.
      They mistake hallucinations for a profound experience that lets them better understand the nature of reality
      How?
      Do drugs magically make you develop new sensory organs? No, it just changes how your brain interprets what already exists.
      So there is literally nothing drugs let you perceive about reality that you wouldn’t already be able to perceive while sober. The only rational explanation is that the change occurs in your brain.
      Drugscrotes are the equivalent of a primitive who thinks cameras steal your soul having an existential freak out over a photoshop.

Anonymous

This thread is all about a fight between 2 scrotebrains arguing about some dumb perception cringe, LULZ these days…

Anonymous

> Reality is an hallucination people share
      > Drugs gives you a hallucination only you can perceive, so it makes it bullshit
      > Except for the fact that people that take the same drug, can experience the same "hallucination"
      uh?

Anonymous

No they don’t

Anonymous

>open a file with a program that is not supposed to decode it correctly
      >I now see random shit instead of something that makes sense
      Mystical.

Anonymous

>be NPC
        >open a thread about a topic your program can’t decode properly
        >spout random shit instead of something that makes sense

Anonymous

>thinks the homo-sapien brain evolved to perceive absolute truth

Anonymous

on the contrary, we are built to perceive "the truth" in a narrow way, drugs fuck up this perception and we think there’s something else behind it. It’s meaningless

Anonymous

Why do you have such a strong emotional investment in this scrotebrained idea?

Anonymous

Your brain just processes information (reality). It doesn’t mean that the way it project said reality is in any way true or absolute. Taking drugs alters such reception of "reality", makes you experience stuff in a way you shouldn’t. End of story. I don’t even give a shit.

Anonymous

Why are you so emotionally invested in the scrotebrained idea that "taking drugs" makes you perceive reality less accurately, though?

Anonymous

it’s not a matter of precision. We already perceive reality in a non-perfect way. Imagine a bit stream getting decoded by a computer program so that the information carried within makes sense. Now if someone takes drugs it just alters the way the data is decoded. "More accurate" means that our sensory approach to the absolute truth makes sense. It’s not even accurate but it makes sense. With drugs it’s still not accurate but it doesn’t make sense because we aren’t evolved to experience a new sensory approach in that way

Anonymous

What exactly are you basing this pants-on-head scrotebrained take on?

Anonymous

explain why you think it’s scrotebrained and then maybe I’ll elaborate

Anonymous

I’m not debating your scrotebrained view. I just want to know what it’s woke af on. Did you suck it out of your thumb as you were typing out that post?

Anonymous

yeah alright fuck off

Anonymous

So nothing? You did just suck it out of your thumb? That’s not much of a surprise given that you’re spouting scrotebrained generalizations about what happens when you "take drugs".

Anonymous

I was kinda hoping you’d give him a counter-argument of some sort instead of just slinging shit.
                        Foolish of me to expect otherwise though.

Anonymous

>I was kinda hoping you’d give him a counter-argument of some sort
                        Shouldn’t he make something that passes for a legitimate argument first? Imagine trying to make general points about "drugs" and thinking you’re coming off competent.

Anonymous

you’re so deep in materialistic scientism. many such cases !

Anonymous

our ego-minds have evolved to arbitrarily knight convenient social constructs as "the truth" in order to serve our survival strategies. these "truths" are subjective and relative – look at the vast array of world religions and cultural norms – all equally as "real" to the players of each system. science is another game we play: it has clear vast material utility, but science is not absolute truth, nor the products of scientific inquiry. it’s only when we remove the ego-mind that we can perceive the equivalent of a hard drive with no operating system installed. it’s the closest thing we can do to directly experience reality outside of the confines of any inherently biased, survival-orientated "thing" which otherwise imprisons itself within an "identity". i’m not talking about drugs generally, i’m talking specifically about psychedelics such as psilocybin, DMT, etc.

Anonymous

where my 2c-b chads at

Anonymous

[…]

>t. nonhuman with no perception

Anonymous

>"yeah sis i saw sum colors and wicked patterns duude lmao"
      >"it was super spiritual and now i see the bigger picture"
      >still works wagie job
      >still does not become homeless
      >still does not make the great pilgrimage

Anonymous

Psychedelics are an excellent tool for exploring the various mechanisms of consciousness first-hand. You could easily dismiss this experience as being non-evidence, but if we actually conducted studies using psychedelics, documenting responses to stimuli on a large portion of the population, it would be at least as valid as the field of psychology. (inb4 soft sciences are useless lol)

Anonymous

Neuralink will do this in the near future

Anonymous

Drugs fuck up your brain, causing it malfunction. Junkies see this as this as "seeing more of the universe" when it’s all in their head.

Anonymous

psychedelics melt away all your social structures n shit, but also amplifies a lot of your more basic psychological structures. acid gives you a lot of crazy feelings, like sometimes you feel impending doom. pretty messed up tbh. but it’s like you knocked off the highest layers of your mountain of identity and being, and now there is room for you to pay more attention to other things. Time and money make no sense, but you sit back and realize you’ve never really appreciated something as simple as a tree in front of your house. And you text your friend who is also tripping at his own place and you’re just like duuuuuuude. this tree dude. Fuck man, it’s amazing. And the leaves stop being themselves and it’s like the skeleton of tree is visible and you can see all the fractals maan. and your friend is like dude when i was leaving i seriously stopped and looked at that tree for like forever

Anonymous

>the human consciousness is at the same time as being a form of awareness and sensitivity and understanding. It’s also a form of ignorance. The ordinary everyday consciousness that we have leaves out more than it takes in. And because of this, it leaves out things that are terribly important, it leaves out things that if we did know them would allay our fears and anxiety and horrors and, if we could extend our awareness to include those things that we leave out, we would have a deep interior peace.
      -Alan Watts

Because your consciousness has to deal with so much constant stimuli from your senses, over the years it learned what is immediately useful and what isn’t and should be filtered out. The filter is automatic and unnoticeable by design, after all, filtering something from your consciousness would naturally keep it out if your perception. "Expanding your consciousness" is basically just modifying or removing parts of this filter on your perception. Or it could also just fuck around directly with your perception and provide noise in the signals that get interpreted by your brain in weird ways.

Anonymous

>Or it could also just fuck around directly with your perception and provide noise in the signals that get interpreted by your brain in weird ways.
        It will do that, too, and so what? Unless you suffer from autism and take everything literally, that could be the key to many interesting insights.

Anonymous

They see something they weren’t meant to see, only schizos are allowed to see it, they then develop a permanent dependency on the material.
      They essentially block their passage forever.

Anonymous

Psychedelics radical alter one’s perception and thought patterns, allowing one to rethink assumptions made about perception and thought.
      Personally I’ve found psychedelics to be far more useful for introspection into my own behavior than for whatever is "out there", though.

Anonymous

drugs makes you see the world how it is not, and plays with your senses which tells you which is true and wrong
      only low IQ really benefit from those kinds of drugs, high IQ will either not care or try out of curiosity and be unimpressed (I was despite being a midwit)

Anonymous

i’m high rn.
      I did calculus 3 class baked couple hours ago. it was so good dawg, I learned so much & made like two new friends. Then I went and danced with my girlfriend after class was over. We invented a new dance called the California Stride. We danced to California Girls by the Beach Boys. I love her. I don’t show it enough. I love her though.

The world is beautiful sometimes.

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.