Why do people like python?

Home Forums Science & tech Why do people like python?

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why do people like python?
      it is such an insufferable language
      java is better by a significant margin

C++ on the other hand is pretty nice once you get used to it

Anonymous

>why do people like python?
      Because they are brainlets that don’t understand C/C++

Also don’t take advice from Muskrat. He is a business man, not an engineer/computer scientist and has no idea what he is talking about.

Anonymous

>Be C++ programmer
      >Have to work on python
      >End up struggling to read it because it’s so simplistic that my eyes are not used to it

Anonymous

What book(s) did you read to learn C++? I’m wondering what book I should buy

Anonymous

I didn’t learn C++ by book. I learned C first, and eventually that knowledge translated to C++ by reading cppreference.com. I read pic related for C.

Anonymous

who the fuck cares what peon musk has to say about ANYTHING. have you heard his attempt at an electronic music beat? it was freaking shit and he was dating a successful music artist at the time. outside of his sociopath scammer lane he’s nothing

Anonymous

>Grimes
        >Successful
        >Artist

Anonymous

how do you define success, my cheeto-fingered friend?

Anonymous

I’d also like to know.

Anonymous

>Mr durgasoft sir hands wrote this post

Anonymous

With python if you get an idea for something you want to make, you just get to work and it’s done. You can have an idea during the week and get it done over the weekend.
      With C++, developing the same program would take you at least a month even for someone used to the language.

At some point you have to ask yourself, do I need what C++ brings to the table? Using C++ when you don’t need the performance is just ridiculous, it’s like you hate yourself.

Anonymous

that is not true at all
        if anything, you can write in C++ faster due to more abstractions available.
        also you don’t have to freaking run the program to find most bugs

Anonymous

kek

Anonymous

>Using C++ when you don’t need the performance is just ridiculous, it’s like you hate yourself.
        Although I somewhat agree with you, C/C++ have more advantages than just performance as some problems just lend itself well with direct memory access. The use of pointers can make solving some problems a breeze.

Anonymous

i’m scrotebrained and still can’t see how pointers solve any issue

Anonymous

Function pointers can lead to fast code with little branching, like for my input system.
            void (*keyFunctions[])(u1 key) = {MoveLeft, MoveLeft+Shift, MoveLeft+Ctrl, MoveLeft+Shift+Ctrl, MoveLeftRelease,MoveLeftRelease,MoveLeftRelease,MoveLeftRelease};
            keyFunctions[(keyAfterConfig + (1 * shift) + (2 * ctrl)) + (4 * up)](key);

With more keys you just change first number and keep doubling…Key config with a second array that replaces original key and even functions replaced in the array. How would you do this without function pointers, a massive blob of slow if else chains, this would solve all issues for what .25MB even if it was 30000+ branches on 64 bit and are purely storage not loaded into the CPU except for the index when needed…As for variable pointers, how would you not see the benefit…

Anonymous

you know that compilers usually optimize ifs into bullshit like this, no?
              also pattern matching with rust optimizations will probably lead to faster code

Anonymous

Even if it did, which I doubt, it would be 100000x harder to write and read, with this I would only need a file with the functions a header with just the array name and make a config file to store and config menu to set everything once…

Anonymous

>The use of pointers can make solving some problems a breeze.
          Pointers make it really easy to write spaghetti code that will be difficult to maintain.

Anonymous

novice programmers see C++ as a status symbol for some reason. when i was at my community college, people talked about C++ all the freaking time. then, when i got to a real statie, my assembly/language processing (compilers) teacher would always talk about how good a language python is. the guy writes his own textbooks

Anonymous

probably peak scrotebrain boomer
          that’s how all teachers in cs are unfortunately now.

Anonymous

I was like that too, thinking I was hot shit for using C++. Turns out I was a scrotebrain.
          Python is amazing, the ability to think of a program or script you would like to have and being able to get it done in a few days feels like a superpower.
          C++ only when I have to.

Anonymous

that is just not true though
            you are wrong and probably scrotebrained with massive cope

Anonymous

seethe

Anonymous

>I am a brainlet
        >I don’t know what technical debt is
        Congrats scrote, you just outed yourself as a pretty shitty software engineer. Fast builds are shitty and prone with bugs. You can get shit done in a week in any language, but are you will spend tge bext 20 year squashing bugs.

C++ coerces programmers to get the job done right first time. Most python scrotebrains are unaware of anything. They think scripting is programming.

Anonymous

>but are you will spend tge bext 20 year squashing
          The average C++ User

Anonymous

kek

Anonymous

Lol there are fifteen million software vulnerabilities announced for projects built with C++ every week and the only way sepplescucks can defend it is saying "They’re using it wrong, a TRUE sepplescuck hacker ninja would never leave a buffer overflow vulnerability in their code"

Anonymous

>C++ sucks because it takes effort
        Ok brainlet.

Anonymous

Fuck this thinking. C++ vs Python uses is not just limited to "muh performance".
        > Is the program you’re making typically done in C++, and if so what’s the reason?
        > Is your program memory/time bound?
        > Would it interact with low level components a lot?
        > What would be the setup process between Python and C++?

Anonymous

This is just the difference between a lang that you’re used to versus a lang that your haven’t used much.

Anonymous

some people just want to ignore memory management and strong typing and just hack something together quickly

Anonymous

>c++
        >strong typing
        kek
        KEKEKEKEKEK
        Static doesn’t imply strong. Idris, ML, Scala and others are strongly typed.
        C++’s type system is pretty weak once you start dealing with templates, SFINAE rings any bells?

Anonymous

Strong typing means that every variable has an assigned type and implicit type conversions are not allowed. C++ is weakly typed even without templates.

OTOH Python is strongly typed.

Anonymous

duck typing ftw

Anonymous

some random sepplestard seething now:
          >but rust has no features beside muh memory safety that i don’t need because i’m not a brainlet

Anonymous

Didn’t muskrats code get thrown out as soon as real devs got a hold of it?

Anonymous

>Didn’t muskrats code get thrown out as soon as real devs got a hold of it?
        Yes.

Anonymous

Sounds like a LULZ rumour you believed. Any source?

Anonymous

Python is fine for anything single person and less than 300 lines. After that it’s a cluster fuck and completely unsuitable

Anonymous

Up to 5-10k lines spread across multiple files and I agree with you

Anonymous

> filtered by python: the cope post
        how long have you been permanently unemployed for?

Anonymous

Up to 5-10k lines spread across multiple files and I agree with you

You’re completely reliant on an IDE to tell you what the type of the thing you’re looking at is, if it can even tell you. With consistent type annotations it could work for thousands of lines, but the projects I’ve worked on never have consistent type annotations. The critical problem at large scale is it isn’t compiled and statically analyzed for errors. This is simply a requirement for any serious language as it eliminates a ton of bugs without needing to exercise that code path.

Anonymous

A lot of people don’t understand that dynamic typing can be used as a tool rather than an excuse to write scrotelicious code. I agree with you, for the python I’ve written, I’ve only encountered one case where dynamic typing was useful. Otherwise it’s best to just write code that treats typing as static and add type hints to every method

Anonymous

>java is better by a significant margin
      AHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Anonymous

I only installed it for -m http.server.

Anonymous

>Best Programming Language of the year award

Anonymous

Why do jeets care about meaningless titles and awards?

Anonymous

The scrotebrain Musk probably thinks that python is a standalone language that compiles to target machine code and it isn’t just a freaking interpreted C wrapper for brainlets.

Anonymous

Python is the new JavaScript
      t. C#/TypeScript super race

Anonymous

baste

Anonymous

Except javascript is in again

Anonymous

>python is a c++ wrapper

Anonymous

>learn python
      >easy jobs, competition is full of scrotebrains
      yeah it’s nice

Anonymous

>using C++ and not rust for anything greenfield in the current year

why?

Anonymous

I hate that python doesn’t have {}, i want to kill whoever came up with the scrotebrained spacing scope. Other than that, python is good for scripting. Want to mirror a website and use concurrent connections for it? There’s a module for that, also no need to compile. If you need performance obviously c++ is the answer but if you don’t why waste extra hours

Anonymous

Isn’t this the guy who is making an AI robot with a more powerful brain than humans?

Anonymous

If you consider python insufferable, it may be that you only know one programming language

Anonymous

How do I learn Python as someone who already knows how to code in a general sense
      I can never stick with any tutorials because they always start out like "And THIS is called a VARIABLE, we use VARIABLES in things called FUNCTIONS" and I get bored out of my mind

Anonymous

>C++ on the other hand is pretty nice once you get used to it
      That’s the thing: you NEVER get used to it. Ever.

Especially not now that there is a new standard coming every 2-3 years.

Anonymous

Python is great because of its package system and how easy it lets you use other peoples code. There’s also essentially no boilerplate.

Anonymous

literally everyone here praising c/cpp is a scrotebrained freshman
      of the people defending python some have good points some are scrotebrained

t. employed haskell programmer (as a haskell progarmmer)

Anonymous

always do the opposite of what haskell programmers say

Anonymous

don’t learn haskell

https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html
          Look at how much freaking text is on this page. It’s a freaking regex tutorial. All I want to know is how to use their regex module and classes to do text replacement and matching. All the functions and classes should be before they try to drown me in word soup.
          Compared to https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/regex it’s night and day

[…]
          Fair enough, but I think that is still a major flaw that the resources and docs for Python aren’t nearly as good as they should be considering Python’s popularity

honestly not bad

Anonymous

always do the opposite of what LULZ says, that’s why I’ve stuck with Python

at this point I think most of the arguments against it boil down to either:
          >performance is crap
          or
          >d..do I fit in?
          Python is so bad performance-wise but you already know the answer to that is C, any other arguments are stupid cause why would you restrict yourself to one language anyway? just learn what you need to do what you need to do. chances are I can learn how to do it in Python first because someone has already tried to, then it’s a lot easier to pick up how to do things in other more suitable languages

Anonymous

>always do the opposite of what LULZ says
            You unironically become dependent on LULZ’s opinion if you do this.

Anonymous

python isn’t even bad performancewise (unless you’re doing something which requires every single bit of processing power from your PC)
            even if python is 10000k slower than cpp, for a normal user interface that’s still fast enough that people won’t notice any lag when using it
            when i program something in python, people only notice hitches when i’m either doing something very heavy (which is all C code anyway) or when I’m doing a request from the web

Anonymous

Python cannot multi-thread, and the workaround for this has bad performance memory-wise. you can use C code alongside it to speed things up but you’re better off writing entirely in C if you really care about performance.
              it’s easy to see this for yourself, just compile your Python into Cython and look at the code. there is so much useless overhead just there to make scripting easier.

Anonymous

I’m not saying that python is good for high performance applications. I’m saying that people often have the wrong idea of what poor performance means, and that the programs that they would want to program most likely don’t need C++-tier performance in the first place.
                Poor performance in python doesn’t mean that the cursor is going to lag, that when you hit a button there’s a delay of a second, or that the input is going to freeze if you start typing something into a textbox.
                Poor performance means that when you need to run a set of equations on 10 million data points, it’s gonna take a long time.

Anonymous

>t. employed haskell programmer (as a haskell progarmmer)
        whoa…. how?

Anonymous

it’s just a meme buddy

Anonymous

seriously isn’t hard, i don’t even have a CS degree
          i majored in mathematics btw

Anonymous

What do you do as a haskell programmer?

Anonymous

Mobile dev, not even memeing. We use internal tools for deployment, obviously.
          The type system allows us to encode all invariants and deploy to ios/android phones and tablets with minimal or no testing.
          Usually if it compiles I push to the deployment worker, unironically.

insanely woke af
          i wanna take a look at haskell again after a few years
          what should i look into?

The avril lavigne book, I don’t remember which one it is.

Anonymous

Ultrawoke af. Haskell really is under utilized. It’s safety makes it more practical than it gets credit for.

Anonymous

insanely woke af
        i wanna take a look at haskell again after a few years
        what should i look into?

Anonymous

imagine not understanding pointers
      you guys truly are all freshmen

Anonymous

Do you live in an alternate reality where there are people who don’t understand pointers?
        Sorry, but you’re not special for getting it.

Anonymous

Because it’s good. You dislike it because you’re a midwit.

Anonymous

>be elon chad
      >write spaghetti code
      >get it to work because python is great
      >sell it for a gorillion dollars
      >a bunch of codemonkey wage slaves have to fix it to make it """maintainable"""
      the chad python entrepreneur vs the typemonkey wagey virgin

Anonymous

if person like Python over C/C++ you must understand that they are not a programmer or an engineer.

Anonymous

Non sequitur. Define "programmer" and "engineer".

Anonymous

Programmer = someone who codes
          Engineer = someone who has engineering degree

Are you scrotebrained, you can find that shit in the dictionary.

Anonymous

So if a person who writes code and has an engineering degree prefers Python over C or C++, does he suddenly forget how to write code and his degree gets revoked?

Anonymous

> if person like
        English motherfucker, do you speak it?

Anonymous

Ay yo, you making fun of my ebonics? Racist sum bitch?

Anonymous

I know this is bait but I’ll bite:

People who think this shit in real life are insufferable scrotes who have 0 concept of how much abstraction there already is between them programming in "real" languages bare metal. The amount of abstraction that’s achieved by going from logic gates to C is freaking astronomical, and you could probably never achieve writing a C compiler from bare metal in your entire life if it weren’t for the work of hundreds of years of mathematicians working all this shit out for you. Comparatively, the jump from C to Python is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. Sure it might abstract away a few data structures and make things nicer to use, but it’s nothing compared to carefully organizing bits of sand together in such a way that they perform actual computation.

Computer science and abstraction are tied together at the hip. Losers who can’t understand that the continuous abstraction of mathematics is the very essence of computing are the most obnoxious freaking scrotes in the world. The losers who can’t understand that it’s actually harder to think abstractly are the funniest of them all. Sure you can do the equivalent of hand-holding a modern abacus. You’re not accomplishing anything by reinventing the wheel for the thousandth time, you’re just doing it because someone needs some scrotebrained shit to be fast, but you’re not furthering the field of computer-science. You’re not developing new freaking algorithms in C, you’re implementing something that someone (far smarter than you) has already thought of in a slightly different flavor just so you can get a paycheck.

Anonymous

woke af

Anonymous

nobody said anything about c
        c++ has all the abstractions of python and more

Anonymous

Makes a real argument and sees through the bullshit status arguments.
        Very woke af.

Anonymous

sacrificing the foundational concepts of cs is what gets you to today where everyone is content to diddle their fondleslabs so they can post tiktoks.

Anonymous

python is fast enough for instagram, pinterest, google and spacex (simulations, not guidance)

Anonymous

I love python but having worked with fluid simulations before, I seriously doubt they do them in python. They may script them in python, but I would be my ass that the underlying algorithms that run the sims are done in either C or C++

Anonymous

>I love python but having worked with fluid simulations before, I seriously doubt they do them in python.
          They said so in the reddit ama.

>but I would be my ass that the underlying algorithms that run the sims are done in either C or C++
          Duh. There is also Cython and Numba.

Anonymous

It just works.
      >muh performance
      Then use C or C++.

Anonymous

> Write thesis program in python
      > Program takes 16 hours to finish
      > Rewrite thesis program in C++
      > Program takes 20 seconds to finish
      I knew python was slow before, but that really opened my eyes.
      I whip out python every now and then if I have to write a quick script, but for anything else I’m picking seeples.

Anonymous

most people value the time it takes to write something functional over execution time

Anonymous

[…]

Yes there is, Python is interpreted.

Anonymous

[…]

There’s no way for an interpreted language to be as fast as C or C++.

Anonymous

[…]

>d.. do I fit in?

Anonymous

[…]

>>sis says that he likes python for scripting
      >some cs101 first year student has no idea about the differences between a language with a huge backend that has millions of optimizations and an interpreted language made for scripting

Anonymous

Python is a scripting language.
      C++ is a systems programming language.
      They’re not comparable and Musk is a giant scrote for saying stupid shit online all the time.

Anonymous

There are two types of people that like python
      >people that use it for simple scripts and as an educational tool for teach programming to absolute beginners
      >scrotebrained nudevs that think reasonable application performance is an acceptable loss if it means they don’t have to learn anything else

Anonymous

Its scrotebrained I’ve been applying for jobs over the last few months and people are using python as a back end lang to run their server applications

Anonymous

people hired shitty devs that only knew Python, had to fire them, now looking for someone to maintain their shitty code

Python is great as a proof of concept for a web server but trying to scale and hand it off to someone else to maintain? wtf?

Anonymous

freshman ^

Anonymous

>why do people like python?
      Allows me to prototype very quickly with the library support. I like it. If I want something with performance I won’t use it.

Anonymous

[…]

Trying too hard to fit in

Anonymous

[…]

Ah I see. Calling me a pytard, when I say "there’s other reasons to use Python"
      I see you’re a mutt: otherwise your reading skills wouldn’t be less than an ESL

Anonymous

> other reasons to use C++
        I must confess, I’m also a mutt. So fuck, nuke our country China

Anonymous

[…]

c++ is compiled, python will always be slower by definition

Anonymous

I find nodejs so much better for writing throwaway scripts, ES6 is basically perfect

Anonymous

Let me give my opinion as someone who started programming recently, it looks tempting because of the english like syntax and being able to quickly write something but after i decided on C#(i picked it because i also want to try Godot and Unity some day) and learned the basics i cant stand Python’s syntax anymore.

Anonymous

Rust made C++ obsolete, the same way Python made Java obsolete.

Anonymous

[…]

>there is no reason why python can’t be as fast as idiomatic C++
      No, Python boxes values way too much for that to be true. (Unless you’re using numpy; that’s pretty competent, even if it is weird as fuck.)

Anonymous

Woke af pychad

Anonymous

jack of all trades, master of non, is how i would describe python. it tries to do everything while not being good at anything.
      i have to use it for data analysis and i freaking hate it R is way more superior.
      >inb4 muh optimization and speed
      i don’t give a fuck about that nerdy shit, i am here to calculate and analyze data for my managers, not reduce my calculation time by 0.1ms.

Anonymous

>way more superior
        I think you meant to say way more superiorer

Anonymous

ba dum ts()

Anonymous

Python is definitely better than R though.

Anonymous

let me guess, you’re a CS major trying to become another data scientist?
          every single statistician worth his salt uses R.

Anonymous

Not really. Python is very commonly used. It has better libraries for pretty much almost everything statistical related. That’s all that really matters. An extra benefit is that if you need a performance boost, you can easily just glue some C code to it for the expensive parts.

Anonymous

>It has better libraries for pretty much almost everything statistical related.
              still waiting for proper GLM and time series libraries, also data cleaning.
              R is just superior for anything beyond simple data analysis. In addition, the syntax is pretty consistent unlike Python which glues everything together with methods and attributes and just looks all over the place.

Anonymous

There’s a shitload of GLM implementations for python. Pick whatever you like the best.

Anonymous

Python is good at web scraping, scripting and prototyping among other things.
        Also
        >muh optimization
        pandas, numpy and many more libraries necessary for data woke afence are written in C/C++, so, thankfully, optimized in advance.

Anonymous

why does it start shit from 0?
          when i put print(0:10) i expect to see numbers from 0 through 10, not from 1 through 9.
          this shit is ultra confusing for me. yes i know in CS it makes sense, but i don’t give a fuck. it is confusing and dumb. count all the numbers like a white man would.

Anonymous

Use a white man’s language, like Fortran or Matlab if you want 1 woke af indexing.

Anonymous

R has 1 woke af indexing.
              >Matlab
              not open source
              >Fortran
              i would’ve probably picked it if i was an engineer. still a woke af language though.

Anonymous

>it is such an insufferable language
      You’re the type of Mennonite to walk rather than ride a horse.

Anonymous

ample supply of libraries
      low barrier for entry

Anonymous

>Blow was talking about it in a very specific context
      >Musk was always a mediocre programmer
      >Talking about Python in a generic way

That whole Twitter thread reeks of cancer

Anonymous

python is garbage. it is specifically made for scrotebrained people that have no problem solving skills. only freaking scrotebrains would choose python as a programming language. it is high level and runs like shit. it is freaking garbage. scrotebrain scrote python enjoyers.

Anonymous

>larpscrote nonsense
        you don’t "choose" a programming language, people who actually write code do it in whatever language is most efficient

Anonymous

yeah so what if im pretending fuck you. maybe i am envious of intelligent people like yourself who can program when all i can do is write some garbage in python so i wanna drag every python enjoyer down with me so i can fee la tiny teeny bit better about myself. but whatever man

Anonymous

Python is a great language to learn. just keep your mind open about other languages cause the end goal is to be a programmer that can do whatever you want. don’t eat the tribalist bullshit

Anonymous

>it is specifically made for scrotebrained people that have no problem solving skills.
        That’s obviously false.

Anonymous

Elon Musk is a huge narcissistic sociopath scrotebrain, and Python is kind of scrotebrained for sure.

That said, fuck all the god damn Java boiler plate, fuck using room temperature IQ object orientation, and fuck using a street shitter programming language.

I’d rather use less scrotebrained choices like C, Scala, Erlang or Ocaml, depending on the situation.

Anonymous

C++ has way more boilerplate kek

Anonymous

Get a job stinky neet.

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id