Why do humans lose so much stamina as they age?

Home Forums Science & tech Why do humans lose so much stamina as they age?

• This topic has 71 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Can someone explain to me why humans lose so much stamina as they age? We seem to retain strength pretty well, but even at 29 athletes start to fall off in many sports because they can’t keep up anymore. What system in our bodies breaks down so fast?

Anonymous

stress.

Anonymous

I have to be honest, I don’t get the deal with this guy. Even on the left he looks downright weird, somehow. Like I can see that on paper he has everything you’d want in a handsome guy, but somehow when you put it all together it winds up looking almost inhuman.

Anonymous

you’re probably just not gay enough

Anonymous

It’s a bit uncanny, like if someone chose "handsome" face parts but didn’t bother checking if they’d fit together.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

>Holy cope
          Sorry I’m not a connoisseur on male beauty like you, anon.

Anonymous

cope. he has that face/jaw structure, with the blue eye/black hair combo on top of being 6’3" with a nice body. Any gf you ever had, if this guy wanted, he could swoop in and take her, very quickly.

Anonymous

How freaking gay are you that you post a cuck fantasy in response to an anon saying he just doesn’t get what the big deal is with david gandy?

Anonymous

its not a cuck fantasy…its more like the opposite. im saying that hes coping and that he should stop coping and also stop trusting women because some guy like this can easily take them, no matter how much personality he thinks he has.

Anonymous

>literally fantasizes about attractive men taking and freaking his girlfriend
              just have gay sex already lmao

Anonymous

only if you are my bottom and i get to enter your bussy deep.

Anonymous

Is this intended to be cringe?

Anonymous

I agree he’s good looking but nothing special

Anonymous

For me it’s Justin Trudeau. He’s just got this weird, lumpy looking face. He’s tall and famous and I guess women go for that, but he’s not handsome like the Communists claim. (Compare with e.g. Macron)

Anonymous

>but he’s not handsome like the Communists claim
          because his dad was fidel castro.

Anonymous

Yeah, although he was handsome younger, and he is definitely handsome for his age, and especially by the standards of politicians where they’re all ugly as fuck.

Anonymous

Gandy is handsome (no homo), he literally defines the word, his face is not cute, not good looking, not pretty, not beautiful, not attractive, true handsome men are very rare.

Anonymous

It’s the hormones. Testosterone levels dropping.
      Broscientists have been right way more often than labcoat cucks.

Anonymous

this also. a combination of low dose dhea with growthhormone and metformin will regrow your thymus gland and dhea alone is beneficial in restoring youthful hormones. it is all about hormones

Anonymous

when will you patent and sell this fountain of youth therapy, anon?

Anonymous

google greg fahy about the thymus part

Can you expand on the amino acids?

you want to cut down on the sulfur containing amino acids: methionine and cysteine. You also dont want high PTH, so eat more calcium and less phosphorus.

i am a oldscrote, the people who age the worst are the ones who are really protein deficient, followed by those who eat a diet consisting of pork and grains. PTH is a major stress hormone and causes calcium loss in your bones to maintain CA/P Homeostasis.

Anonymous

>you want to cut down on the sulfur containing amino acids: methionine and cysteine
              What would that look like?

Anonymous

less muscle meat, more gelatinous cuts of meat, gelatine/collagen rich cuts over filet. not eating a shitton of grains together with muscle meats is half of the way.
                i supplement collagen because it is convenient.

Anonymous

Is it more about ratios, is that why you supplement? And what would you recommend I look into for continued reading on this topic?

Anonymous

yes it is about the ratios. probably the best to start here https://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml
                    but always dyor, check the references, never trust anyone but yourself and your own judgement.

from my own observation and seeing what people eat, high amounts of pig meat together with grains are the fastlane to aging quickly.

The chinese also obsessa about collagen and gelatin and they oftentimes have very good skin in high age, my grandpa ate a shitton of soup and broth and had good skin in high age. some collagen/gelatin supplements can have high lead content though, always be careful.

Anonymous

You’re the best anon I’ve come across in a long while! Thank you for sharing this unique knowledge.

Anonymous

just make sure to not up the intake all at once, if you start to eat high amounts of gelatin or collagen out of nothing it can constipate you.
                        https://youtu.be/T6NvwqEE8Is?t=6794
                        somewhat relevant.

Anonymous

Very helpful addition as I perused supplements online. Thank you for the link, too, I’ll check it out.

Anonymous

What about going plant-woke af, isn’t it better?

Anonymous

So you think all these people are going Gluten free because plant protein is somehow inherently better for people than protein from meat?

Anonymous

>i supplement collagen because it is convenient.
                  So you’re supplementing endotoxin?

Anonymous

Basically he’s an idiot. When you ingest something you can make yourself, you have to take it apart, only to reassemble it later.

This is part of the reason why vegetarian diets are superior. Less entropy is generated. Less entropy, higher efficiency.

This is also probably why vitamins have been shown to be a scam. All supplements are all scams. They are all "convenient". But for the body, they are not convenient. They are dangerous chemicals which require toxic waste handling.

The least entropic physiology is one with efficient synthesis capability. This endogenous assembly of amino acids are regulated by efficient pathways. Bolting onto that a secondary pathway that burns energy to break down exogenous amino acids, and excrete surplus deaminated metabolic products requires energy and sacrificed materials manifest in cellular turnover in critical organ systems like Kidneys. We evolved to have to eat pretty dense, shitty foods which might be rotten or infested with mold or just plain tough, so naturally we have two kidneys but that doesn’t mean you can’t overload them.

By limiting dietary protein (0.9-1.6g/kg bodyweight long ago found to be ideal) you make endogenous synthesis and liposomal storage and recycling pathways more efficient to hold onto the essential amino acids; dumping excess into the system deprecates those pathways.

Anonymous

>google greg fahy about the thymus part
              I already did. I gotta say you brought in some nice news. Fascinating stuff, especially since invermectin just dampens carb diet effects.

What about going plant-woke af, isn’t it better?

lmao no

Anonymous

>even at 29 athletes start to fall off in many sports because they can’t keep up anymore
      this isn’t due so much to the body breaking down at 29 as it is to a 29 year old having to compete with other people at their absolute peaks, where tiny differences make or break top-level competitive sports
      the decline is so small that the average person would barely notice anything, it only makes a difference at the top levels

Anonymous

Thats not true. Forget about athletes for a moment, why do people lose stamina but not physical strength?

Anonymous

nah that isn’t true, your stamina doesn’t decline that much until your mid 30s

Anonymous

racewalkers peak in their 30s
        the absolute pinnacle of sport

Anonymous

This. Mike Tyson could fuck up 99% of guys in their 20s because they’re just regular guys. It’s when you put him against other pros where he would get bonked up.

People don’t get the disparity between even regular guy vs semi-pro and semi-pro vs pro and then pro vs elite.

Anonymous

while your underlying point is valid, Mike Tyson was more jacked at 13 than most gymgoing adults are, and apparently benched 80 on his very first try
          probably one of the worst choices to make your point even though you’re right, kek

Anonymous

Yeah ok, but WHAT is it?

It’s the hormones. Testosterone levels dropping.
        Broscientists have been right way more often than labcoat cucks.

Don’t older athletes, bodybuilders etc. with higher than optimum levels from trt still gas out fairly easily compared to their younger years? I’m in doubt t is the only reason.

Anonymous

It’s not the only reason, but broscientists can only think of one thing at once and that’s the one they focused on.

Anonymous

I like him better on the right tbh

Anonymous

top athletes can go into their late 30s if they are autistic enough
      29 is a decent point to start focussing on our family/life away from sport, especially if you have loads of wonga, or can get a comfy job on some kind of commentry/coaching role

Anonymous

athletes are not healthy and producing lactic acid in high amounts all the freaking time is a good way to induce cellular stress.

also most people eat the wrong amino acids too much, leading to accelerated aging. and they have too much iron, and they eat fats that easily oxidize

Anonymous

Can you expand on the amino acids?

Anonymous

The strong marathon runners are in their mid 30’s, I don’t think "stamina" is the best word

Also, the model guy in your pic looks a bit bonked in both, while still good looking in both

Anonymous

>Can someone explain to me why humans lose so much stamina as they age?
      Can you explain to me where you got this idea from?
      >but even at 29 athletes start to fall off in many sports
      because of the stress and damage their body has accumulated over their career. A tennis player or a soccer player is going to not hold back in a important match the way they would during training session and that’s when accidents happen. Do that enough times over your career and no matter how fit you are overall that can severely damage your performance, if, for example you blow out a knee or something or other forms of scar tissue.
      Also ‘grip strength’ only peaks in your 30’s

Anonymous

There are seventy year olds who compete pretty well at marathonrunning

Anonymous

Which sports have the youngest and which the oldest competitors?

Anonymous

>youngest
        League of Legends
        >oldest
        Chess

Anonymous

>sports

Anonymous

Yes?

Anonymous

Chess players peak in their 20s. As you age your working memory goes to shit. Same with mathematicians.

Anonymous

They routinely stay competitive into their 40s. Anand is in his 50s, Karpov is slightly older, and even Kasparov recently showed he’s able to slap the current players around a bit, even though he’s been retired for ages.

Anonymous

Cells degrade over time. Generational loss means loss of efficiency over time.

Anonymous

>using elite level athletes as a reference
      >bodies breaking down at 29
      kek
      scrotebrain.
      Human body doesn’t magically start "breaking down" at 29.
      The main reason athletes start to fall off as they age is because of the accumulation of damage they have taken for years. By the time they are 29 they’ve been playing for probably like 15 years at that point and have put tons of wear on their bodies.
      Also, the average age in NFL, NBA, MLB, and MLS is 26-27 years old. So unless you think there is a massive difference between a 27 year old and a 29 year old, your theory is garbage.

Anonymous

>Also, the average age in NFL, NBA, MLB, and MLS is 26-27 years old. So unless you think there is a massive difference between a 27 year old and a 29 year old, your theory is garbage.
        I take sports exactly because some put extreme emphasis on stamina, unlike your shart sports. For some olympic swimmers 29 is when they start dropping off even though they keep accruing experience. Perhaps I should’ve formulated the question as "why do we lose stamina so early", but then I didn’t expect the amount of contrarianism over something that neutral.

PS you mention NFL in context of endurance when its a bunch of meatsacks taking a breather every 15 miliseconds of actual play. Don’t call other people scrotebrains when you barely scrape by using a pair of errand fat cells lost within the vast emptiness of your cranium to puppet yourself to the toilet and back in front of the screen.

Anonymous

>"why do we lose stamina so early", but then I didn’t expect the amount of contrarianism over something that neutral.
          It’s not contrarianism, you’re just wrong. It’s obviously something other than stamina that causes this.

Anonymous

NTA but where is the data to support this ‘stamina’ dropping at around 29?

Anonymous

It isn’t the body that is often the limiting factor in sport, but actually the brain. Mental acuity starts to drop after hitting your late 20’s; things like hand-eye coordination and mental reflexes start to slow down as a result. That isn’t to say that the body doesn’t start to fail an athlete too, speed in particular; but strength and stamina are actually one the last thing fail an athlete. The last thing to fail them is their power and endurance, and increasingly become a crutch as their careers wind down.

Ever notice that the best competing chess grandmasters and e-sports pros players are in their 20’s too? Even they will see decline in their 30’s; only the most dominate of them retain top level competitiveness in those ages.

Anonymous

It’s the accumulation of senescent cells

Anonymous

women

Anonymous

you guys don’t understand the most basic tenets of Exercise Physiology

Stamina is endurance, the limiting factors are mental strength. You can put a person on a treadmill and increase resistance until their fail, and if you take a biopsy of the muscle tissue, you will still find available ATP.

You will become a miserable fat pile of jelly by middle age not because you don’t understand the cumulative aspect of exponential functions, but because you don’t use your body. Your body has a mind of its own and a certain fate: maximum entropy.

I can see you have no idea what I’m talking about, and you don’t need to know. You only have to follow the freaking prescriptions: aerobic and resistance exercise, past the point of discomfort, on a regular basis, nearly every day, at least every week.

Otherwise the entropy from one system will increase entropy in attached systems (as bodies are integrated systems).

There is no doubt about it, a weak body will eventually weaken the mind; and vice versa.

Anonymous

Woke af thermodynamics anon. Literally this folks.

Anonymous

Just fyi, that guy has no clue of what he’s talking about, but arguing with people using entropy in biology is akin to discussing global politics with pidgeons

Anonymous

>insults
            >no counterargument, "lolz too dumb to even talk about it"
            Sorry, I’d rather trust him.

Anonymous

I don’t care, stay ignorant if you so please.

Anonymous

yeah thats total bull shit. exercising a lot makes you age faster. it basically puts stress on the body.

Anonymous

The rich and powerful, the successful, and everyone, trends toward maximum entropy.

The more alcohol you drink, the more sugar and fat, the higher the metabolic load. No one is immune; a potato chip is stronger than the mental strength of most people. The fight against entropy is a losing fight in the end, but to stay alive every day requires an imbalance between a conservation of energy and its expenditure, the latter process produces high energy molecular waste that requires energy to neutralize. There is no way to win, but the system can be made more efficient. Unfortunately for you as an individual, this means propping you up just long enough to reproduce. So in general you will tend to conserve energy, hold onto fat, convert muscle to fat, etc., over time, becoming a jelly-like creature which responds primarily to internal signals directing your supposedly "free will" like a marionette while your mind slides into a state of comfortable confusion. This is the pleasant state that exists in the ant trapped in a spider’s web after the spider has injected its brain killing poison anesthetic. Most people are just gasbags walking around, as perfectly predicatable as an automaton. Their brains shortcircuit any higher order mental process like acquiring good knowledge and forming coherent thoughts, both processes which are antagonistic to the dominant processes driving entropy higher. Stupid people tend ot get stupider over time, so less energy is used in the Brain and made available to other organs suchas the Omentum (adipose or fat cells) or organs of elimination such as the liver. In the larger, ecological sense, you are preparing yourself for becoming composted spare parts for other life forms.

People fail in maintaining health because they overestimate their mental strength and underestimate the forces arrayed against them (marketing and availability of attractive options). To reverse it, its like you have to walk up the down escalator, etc.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Nicotinamide adenysene dinucleotide production slows after 25 and starts to degrade you. You can supplement it to slow the process.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id