Why did Sub-Saharan Africans so readily adopt Christianity

Home Forums History Why did Sub-Saharan Africans so readily adopt Christianity

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why did Sub-Saharan Africans readily adopt Christianity

Anonymous

they didn’t completely accept it. If you look at a religious map of africa, the north is muslim while the south I’d christian. however, in the christian areas many still worship their traditional spirits and gods along with jesus. some even worship jesus as they would with a pagan god and not necessarily in the traditional christian way.

My 23&me results= 0% European, 98% Anatolian, 1% Central Asian, 1% Sudanese

Missionary: do you want school, food, hospital care?
      People: yes
      Missionary: ok first the Bible

Anonymous

>this name
        woke af lol

Anonymous

>1% Sudanese
        What

Anonymous

At that percentage it’s just noise, probably some distant cousin had a grandpa who had some zanj blood in him, or else the software just bugged.

A full 100% Sudanese ancestor 5-8 generations back

Anonymous

scrote.

Compelling argument

Anonymous

Not that anon but scrote.

My Kushite-Nubian-Sudanese ancestors were building empires while you were being enslaved by my other Etruscan-Anatolian-Roman ancestors or by my Central Asian ancestors for that matter. Cope.

Anonymous

>roach claiming european etruscans and italics as his ancestors
                      >not realising the majority of slaves in the Roman Empire were sourced from Anatolia and the Levant

Anonymous

Etruscans were 60-90% Tur_Barchin aka Anatolian.

Also the majority of slaves were Germanic/Danubian/Greek

Anonymous

>Kushite-Nubian-Sudanese ancestors were building empires
                      Nordists are even more diluted and we wuz than Hoteps.

At least hoteps have some semblance of evidence.

Anonymous

scrotes come from West Africa along and around the Niger River not the Nile. please leave my LULZ

Anonymous

>zanj

Sudanese are Bantu now? LOL

Anonymous

Basically this. Christian, in particular Catholic missionary efforts often go hand to hand with building schools and hospitals. On the one hand this is good because it provides needed infrastructure and services people need to survive and improve themselves.On the other hand it encourages them to become Catholic. It might be a hundred years until the over educated great grandchildren of these converts realize that they don’t need the Church to also have schools and hospitals like people have in the west.

Anonymous

That is definitely a factor. But we should also consider how Africans would have seen the comparative wealth and technology of Christian Europeans. That alone could be perceived as proof that Christianity was the right path. I have read about native Americans expressing this sentiment upon first contact.

Anonymous

>name
        Woke af

Anonymous

Yeah pretty much

Anonymous

Basically this

Anonymous

Because converting to Christianity gave them socioeconomic privileges. My grandfathers were able to attend universities in England and America because they were educated by Christian missionaries

Anonymous

they don’t, they adopt some bizarre hybrid faith that virtually no one outside of africa would recognize as christianity
      also the above posted reasons

Anonymous

>they don’t, they adopt some bizarre hybrid faith that virtually no one outside of africa would recognize as christianity

So did Europeans and Latin Americans to a degree (though there are tens, if not hundreds of millions of normal Christians in Africa too).

Anonymous

Literally every single Christian does that. sycnretism was vital to even make the faith palatable to people.

Anonymous

>being a christscrote in 2021

Anonymous

>being an atheist after 2009

Anonymous

What happened in 2009? Not that I would disagree that atheism is very sad cope.

Anonymous

How is it a sad cope?

Anonymous

>nothing happens after you die
              >therefore i can do anything i want whenever and nothing will happen to me

Anonymous

how does being religious change this? I’ve seen plenty of the supposed faithful lead thoughtless lives of self-absorption, using their beliefs less like a morality guide and more like a rod to beat others over the head with. Hell how often do you hear about an anti-gay pastor getting outed for freaking little boys or using male prostitutes? They’re religion certainly didn’t stop them

Anonymous

euphoria happend

Anonymous

I guess it helps that like half of them were already quasi-monotheistic

Anonymous

>half of them were already quasi-monotheistic
        Really?

Anonymous

The majority of bantus, southern nigerian, ghanaian were somewhat monotheistic

And a lot of the rest was already islamised

The vast majority of Africa was monotheistic one way or another before direct colonialism

Anonymous

>The vast majority of Africa was monotheistic one way or another before direct colonialism
            source ?

Anonymous

Having read "Things fall apart" I assume most native african religons suffered the same problem european pagan religions did, they didn’t help the poor/weak and thus it was easy for Christianity to do so and spread.

Anonymous

>they didn’t help the poor/weak and thus it was easy for Christianity to do so and spread.
        Chritianity cracked down and heavily persecuted local religions on top of making the local converts be really batshit obsessed about wiping pagans out.

Anonymous

The Kingdom of the Kongo became Christian before Colombus discovered America iirc

Anonymous

>1483, the Portuguese explorer Diogo Cão sailed up the uncharted Congo River, finding Kongo villages and becoming the first European to encounter the Kongo kingdom.[21] Cão left men in Kongo and took Kongo nobles to Portugal. He returned with the Kongo nobles in 1485. At that point the ruling king, Nzinga a Nkuwu, converted to Christianity.[22] Cão returned to the kingdom with Roman Catholic priests and soldiers in 1491, baptizing Nzinga a Nkuwu as well as his principal nobles, starting with the ruler of Soyo, the coastal province. At the same time a literate Kongo citizen returning from Portugal opened the first school. Nzinga a Nkuwu took the Christian name of João I in honor of Portugal’s king at the time, João II.
        WTF?
        So the some nobles were brought to europe? They so the architecture and the technology. They returned and told the king what they saw. He converted to christianity because he either thought it was a good idea to have the same religion as the portuguese or he thought christianity would bring the level of technology that the europeans have?

Anonymous

He converted because he believed in God, anon.

Anonymous

the clothes and anonymity makes it much more appealing to me than the god stuff.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

they already had the ability to high level mathematics unlike the chinese, and were seduced by its Neoplatonism.

Anonymous

>be you
      >libtard
      >hate Christians
      >think you are virtuas
      >do absolutely nothing for the poor Africans

>be Christian
      >reads Bible everyday
      >Bible tell you to love you neighbor and spread the word
      >spread the word
      >realise that neighbor is poor as shit
      >build schools, hospitals and shelters to help neighbor
      >neighbor asks why Christian is doing this for free
      >Christian shows neighbor Bible
      >Neighbor adopts Christianity

Anonymous

>be christian
        >be better liberal than liberals
        powerful argument

DEUS VULT

Anonymous

>give all your money away and love everybody
          founding precepts of baby jesus, christians were the original hippies.

Anonymous

>do absolutely nothing for the poor Africans
        They do a lot.
        Many Christians just come to Africa to feel good and preach stuff that doesn’t help much as well as peddling/preaching stuff that is harmful to the very people they claim to be saving. Africa is just a playground for them were hey if they can’t flex their power back home because of social and political changes they’ll go to Africa where it’s ripe for the picking.

That is definitely a factor. But we should also consider how Africans would have seen the comparative wealth and technology of Christian Europeans. That alone could be perceived as proof that Christianity was the right path. I have read about native Americans expressing this sentiment upon first contact.

Because converting was tied to getting access to stuff. You didn’t convert you got jackshit. If you wanted you or your kids to not work the shitty jobs where your life was disposable and replaceable you had to be exposed to missionary education.

Anonymous

Not really, most libtards tend to do stupid shit selfish shit "for charity". They do it for social media clout. On the other hand Christians would volunteer their personal time and money to charity without saying shit. A lot of churches ran food banks during covid.

Anonymous

Because privative societies, especially those with no writing, rely on stories handed from person to person, and generation to generation. Oral tradition was the basis for laws, behavior and societal foundations.

Christianity just came along and had better stories (the Bible).

Anonymous

For the most part they’ll just do whatever a white man tells them to do.

Anonymous

because it was more sophisticated than the ooga booga folk religions of Africa

Anonymous

sophistication doesn’t matter. Especially since Christianity as preached to the third world is often an extremely bare bones rendition of it lol. Tell me how exactly is Christianity more sophisticated.

Anonymous

monotheism organized structure and hierarchy it’s an entire institution with prestige compared to folk religions

Anonymous

low IQ so live by instinct which is good at detecting authenticity and truth.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.