Why can’t I just buy it? Why must everything be software as a service?

Home Forums Science & tech Why can’t I just buy it? Why must everything be software as a service?

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why can’t I just buy it?

Anonymous

You mean, permanent, like 2019 or 2021?

Anonymous

Clearly thats what he means
        and its because they want us to own nothing, and be happy

Anonymous

You never "owned" office even when you bought it outright. You bought a worthless box and a CD and a non-transferable license to use office within the terms of the EULA.

Anonymous

Welcome to SAAS, Now go fuck yourself. Or look up officeRtool

Anonymous

Why would they charge you once for a copy that lasts forever when they can instead charge you every month for the temporary privilege of renting?

Anonymous

Because they make more money this way and as a company their aim is to make as much money as they possibly can.
      Now you might say that you don’t like this and you won’t use their product anymore, well they don’t give a fuck about you. No one does.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/0Dq5Jvr.gif

>Now you might say that you don’t like this and you won’t use their product anymore, well they don’t give a fuck about you. No one does.
        I don’t give a fuck about MS office for a long time.

Who the fuck even uses this shit and tell me what it can do that Libre office can not ?!

Anonymous

word is crap but excel is light years ahead of libreoffice

Anonymous

>but excel is light years ahead of libreoffice
            What do you do in it that calc can not do ?

I did literally never see any explanation of this from anyone these excel scrotebrains simply say
            >It is … it simply is !
            This is not an argument you scrotebrain !

Anonymous

Just get a job, they’ll give it to you for free.

Anonymous

The year is 2021.
      You will own nothing.
      You will be happy.

Anonymous

should of seen this coming when adobe started doing it. all proprietary software will be doing this stuff within the next few years

Anonymous

everyone has seen it coming, you just can’t do anything about it
        >tfw you realize booster shots are big pharma subscriptions
        as I said, not much you can do about that

Anonymous

>not much you can do about that
          you could always just not use it?

Anonymous

it’s funny because this shit came from open source where they couldn’t ensure hard sales so they invented a new business model. microsoft late to the party, once again

Anonymous

the biggest company of a sector (microsoft/tech) doesnt have to be early to any party which might blow up from a mysterious gas leak because of bill gates anyways, if it treads on the toes of microsoft. they might rather wait until its a secure model before doing it
        >microsoft late to the party yet again
        they might be shit at everything, but they do get in early on some things. they also buy out the used condoms of the cutting-edge stuff they themselves cant do
        they are interested in being early to the party, but i guess they didnt want to with this. who are we to challenge what they do? for no benefit to us, from us to the company that is more wealthy than us. but why talk?

Anonymous

>biggest of a sector
          >Microsoft/tech
          >In the fiscal year 2020, hardware-focused Apple’s 274.52 billion US dollar revenue was almost double the amount of Microsoft’s 143.02 billion U.S. dollars, with Alphabet generating 182.53 billion US dollars that same year.
          cope seethe and kys

Anonymous

Revenue is not profit

Anonymous

>use tools made by microsoft to download their software
      >activate with a simple script
      Nothing personal microsoft

Anonymous

They don’t care about you, they get the money from companies.

Anonymous

>jeepas!
      >we don’t want you thinking yous OWN anything, goy!
      >it’s a (((schubscription)))™ with a very well defined terms of service
      >you may have seen something simila on ya new 2021 (2022 delayed due to chip shortage) JMC or Czevy’s entertainment system that you agreed to!
      >if you don’t like it we can just take it away, sue, and imprison you like the irrational bad goy you are!
      >also we’re giving ya cash for clunkas to take those dirty cars without 4G telemetry radios or OnStar(of david) installed
      >if our usury chain dealerships haven’t bought them up first and put them up for sale at higher prices than ever because of us disrupting the entire supply chain over a meme flu!
      >you will eat ze bugs
      >we will eat the lobster tail
      >you will take the prozac
      >we will take the adrenochrome
      Only rational explanation for this.

Anonymous

>Only rational explanation for this.
        Or maybe they just want a guaranteed quarter to quarter revenue stream vs one time purchases. Stop being a dumb schizo.

Anonymous

>virgin "they have to make money" normalscrote
          vs
          >chad "they’re trying to enslave us" schizo

Anonymous

It’s both. Turning the population into mouth breathing NPCs who own nothing and are forever indentured to the elite through various overpriced subscription services is the easiest way for them to make money.

Anonymous

It can’t be both scrotebrain, you don’t need money if you have free labor

Anonymous

garden gnomes always want more money, they like to hoard it like a dragon hoarding a pile of gold coins. It’s not about necessity.

Anonymous

take your meds schizo, you can always hoard real actual bullions

Anonymous

You actually think billionares continue expanding their corporations because they "need" more money? These people see making money as the end game of life, to them lording over a slave race is just another means to the end of making more shekels.

Anonymous

You don’t need shekels if everyone is a slave, schizo

Anonymous

Your first mistake is assuming it is about the billionaires and not the millions of people who are indirect or direct shareholders expecting profits.

Anonymous

Prospective wagies who want to retire*

Fixed that for you scrotebrain. Stop being a schizo.

Anonymous

Nice reddit meme boyo.

Anonymous

take your meds

Anonymous

>JMC or Czevy
        >OnStar
        Wait until this goy hears about BMW subscriptions or preordering features like Tesla’s full self-driving Coming Soon™ for the low price of 10,000 USD.

Anonymous

>Why can’t I just buy it?
      Because if you commit WrongThink by saying something racist, or misgendering a human being, or hold opinions which rest on the wrong side of history, you can then be CANCELLED thoroughly and left without a means to earn a living. Just wait bigot, one day your own home and car will CANCEL you leaving you out on the streets to die; so you best get used to watching what you say OR ELSE.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

/thread
        Everyone else and especially OP are tards.

Anonymous

>buy one time license to use the software indefinitely
        >straight white man
        >pay monthly for subscription service like a cuck
        >scrotes and mutts
        woke af microsoft

Anonymous

how do you know he’s straight

Anonymous

Can we just close the thread now? Schizos are starting to chime in

Anonymous

>we

Anonymous

Didn’t take my meds, sorry

Anonymous

>buy
      >6.99/month
      so what’s the total price to actually BUY it? otherwise you’re not buying anything, you’re just renting it

Anonymous

it costs money to update software, chuds

Anonymous

update with what? office 2003 has everything I need

Anonymous

no it doesn’t chud, pay up

Anonymous

>update with what? office 2003 has everything I need
          woke af 2003 chad.
          However docx is not properly supported you should have gotten something like 2015 to be safe from future MS scrotebraination.

Anonymous

>chuds
        Opinion discarded.
        >it costs money to update software
        Yea zoomer we used to have this thing called version that we did buy before this you know.
        >update
        Watch out it is the update-addict HE IS GOING TO UPDATE !
        >update
        Here is the thing MS was supposed to give new features that we wanted in the new version or we did not buy. In the 2000s it became apparent that there is literally no reason to buy MS office after 2003.

So now you either give them money or they brick the things you own.

Anonymous

sorry zoomer but companies have to make money somehow

Anonymous

>sorry zoomer but
            Look the zoomer tries to call me a zoomer !
            Good you are learning that your generation is the most shit and literally a insult !

>to make money somehow
            Tell me how it was in the 80s 90s and 2000s simply tell me ! How was it ?!

Remember it coming in boxes and brick and mortar stores ? Remember that ?!

Anonymous

>old good, new bad
              sorry zoomer, but they found a better way to make money, pay up

Anonymous

Hey, did you know that the field that they shot the iconic "Bliss" photo in is now covered in grapevines? The photo was taken in 1996 (I was just 6 at the time) by one Charles O’Rear. Even though O’Rear was an accomplished photographer, taking photos for prestigious publications such as National Geographic, O’Rear concedes that he will probably be best remembered for his iconic shot of the Napa Valley hillside. Just goes to show that despite your best efforts, you’re remembered more for the prominence of your work, rather than it’s quality. It’s tough, but that’s just how it is on this bitch of an Earth.

Anonymous

In particular the fixed release version is still the dominant one in retail shops, even though it doesn’t include an installation medium anymore.

Anonymous

>cloud service
      >subscription
      Literally nothing wrong with paying monthly for service that has monthly maintenance costs
      Fuck off LULZ

Anonymous

Cloud service maybe, if you really need it. But for Office? No.

Anonymous

>that has monthly maintenance costs
        LOL zoomers are cancer and don’t know how it was back in the day.

Anonymous

"back in the day" you could write shitty code and wait 2 years for it to optimize itself when processor speed doubled, you can’t do that anymore, programmers have to be paid monthly

Anonymous

>"back in the day" you could write shitty code and wait 2 years
            The processor requirements for office did minimally increase, you literally don’t need fast processors for word writing shit !
            This was true ever since 2004, If you have a Pentium 4 you can run even the latest MS office.

Why do zoomers think that computer history literally jumped from 1983 to 2012 ? And the 90s and 2000s did not happen?

Anonymous

yes you do, upgrade today chud

Anonymous

>chud
                I literally do not care what people who use this word have to day.

Also can you start your sentences with this word?
                I want to skip in advance anything you will write. Thanks.

Anonymous

Just pirate an old version of MS office, I still use an old copy I got off kazaa or some shit in like 2002 or something and it runs just fine even today. Unlike the shit they pump out these days MS software back then was actually somewhat decent. The only thing that sucks is having to convert back and forth between docx/xlsx and doc/xls when exchanging files with normies but that’s not so bad.

Anonymous

>just use a 20 year old version that’s filled with vulnerabilities
        extravagantly woke af

Anonymous

office 2010 and 2013 are fine to use nowdays, also who tf cares about vulnerabilities? they are typing softwares, just take out internet access from the task if you’re so scared

Anonymous

What are you doing opening word/excel files from untrusted sources anyway?

Anonymous

>subscription
      No thanks.

Anonymous

If you use OneDrive it is actually a decent deal. I would not buy it for Office alone, if you just need office get an installer somewhere and activate it as described in fwt.

Anonymous

Just get Libre, poor scrote.

Anonymous

Geez sure is a heavy shill presence in this thread, get back to work Microsoft don’t you scrotes have anything better to do?

Anonymous

You will own nothing and you will be happy.

Anonymous

The laughable idea behind that sentence is that corps or government will provide the citizen with subscribed goods that sometime in the future when the population is enough dependent from it, will be took out from the market, creating a service starvation. Such thing is not possible with Office because of numerous reasons but the prominent one is that there are free alternatives. The average joe will learn to use Libreoffice if it means continuing to make money through spreadsheets.

Anonymous

because the new model of business is so that you will pay them and will own nothing

Anonymous

Cheap keys abound on the intarwebz. I managed to install Pro on several computers with one.

Anonymous

I paid like $10 for it once on the Google Play Store and while it technically acts as a subscription, it never charges me anything else, just renews every month for free.

Not sure if intentional or loophole but I would suggest trying it and seeing if it works for you.

Anonymous

You vill pay $700 to print a couple of documents in the next 10 years

Anonymous

My smug face when I did buy office 2016 because I was expecting this shit.

Either way I’m entirely on libre office and only need MS office to deal with scrotebrains who will spam me with their shit file format.

Because you will own nothing (and you will be happy) and the corporations will milk you dry of money every cycle forever without giving anything new in return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEUzKTt7j0

Anonymous

Absolute scrotebrain, you can still buy it. There’s even the link in the thread

You don’t even understand the ideology behind the sentence you’re so much saying in this thread.

Anonymous

>you can still buy it.
          Don’t care 2016 has all I will ever need.
          >b-b-b-b- you can buy it
          I literally only own 2003 and 2016 and the only reason I got 2016 is because a scrotebrained secretary was bombarding me with docx files.

>b-b-b-b- you can buy it
          I’m 100% on Libre office scroteot !

Anonymous

Nice goalpost moving scrote.
            I simply refused what OP was implying. But of course you have ignored the fact I sad you CAN buy it, not that you’re forced to.

Anonymous

>Nice goalpost moving scrote.
              From what scroteot ?
              >I sad you CAN buy it
              And literally 99% of the human population does not care because 99% of humans do not use MS office.

So excuse us from not being up to date on the selling strategy of MS.

Anonymous

Office has been finished since 2007 edition but they still need money

Anonymous

youre too scrotebrained to install something you cannot sudo apt get

Anonymous

Are you also going to buy every patch and update? Software is a service.

Anonymous

You can – it’s called Microsoft Office LTSC 2021.

Anonymous

You mean your company/school doesn’t buy for you?

Anonymous

since we are at it I have never used microsoft office on my personal computer and time has come when I probably should use it for my uni clases. The thing is they provide 365 version that works (for 1 day) and then requires signing in, but it cannot connect to ms servers as many users on winehq admitted.
      any option of getting cracked 2019 or whatever new-ish version that works through wine? Does KMS_MY_SELF work on wine anyways?

Anonymous

>winehq
        what the fuck are you doing scrotebrain? just install MS while you’re in uni, you want that GIMP greentext happened to you?

Anonymous

>you want that GIMP greentext happened to you?
          what ?
          Not him tell me what the gimp green text is !

Anonymous

>any option of getting cracked 2019
        Why not 2015 ? Seriously The fuck did they add ?

Fun fact after I got MS office certified it was explained to us that you can literally do everything you can in 2007 on 2003 only you need to dig in some menus in 2003 while in 2007 you can dig into the same menus or they provided a shortcut for the same shit.

Get anything after 2007 to have the docx support.

Anonymous

If your school uses Outlook for their emails, you can log into Microsoft’s site using that email and then use the nerfed online versions of Microsoft Office apps for your assignments. That’s the workaround I used back when I was in college.

>any option of getting cracked 2019
        Why not 2015 ? Seriously The fuck did they add ?

Fun fact after I got MS office certified it was explained to us that you can literally do everything you can in 2007 on 2003 only you need to dig in some menus in 2003 while in 2007 you can dig into the same menus or they provided a shortcut for the same shit.

Get anything after 2007 to have the docx support.

I wish we had 2003 on our family computer when I was growing up. Our school used 2003, then whenever I needed to do things from home if the assignment was sent out in DOCX I was bonked.

Anonymous

>DOCX
          One theory is MS made up DOCX to force people to buy new Office.

And back in the day they made up new DOC formats like if you go to save as you can see like 20 different DOC formats to save as.

I suspect 10 of them are basically bullshit however the 80s to 90s where a time of innovation with things like adding pictures and shit to the DOC file so who knows.

The other theory or 2 combo theories are that MS was unable to maintain the mess that is DOC and needed to make up a new format that was XML not the living nightmare that was DOC since the people making it where retiring and shit.

I remember a article saying what a bonked up mess DOC is and that not even governments can reverse engineering it 100% because not even MS knows how it functions.

It has stupid shit like literally dumping C structs from 16 bit computers into the HDD and calling this a file format. Or that 1803 (or whatever) is year zero or like different time selectors or the one time MS decided to speed up saving changes to the HDD by literally only recording the changes you made so if you decided to delete a paragraph it would append
          >Delete from line 3000 to line 2500
          while actually leaving the contents 100% in tact.

And I suspect over 50% of these decisions where made up to fuck with the competition who tried to read DOC files.

It is a absolute mess that no one wants to maintain having 80s ideas 80s evolution (LOL what are time zones, LOL what is unix time LOL) and making this shit difficult to read for the competition.

Moral of the story ODT (Libre office Writer) is a standard and fucken force everyone to use it.

Anonymous

>Still use Office 2010 Pro Plus with no fucks given

But really noone should need anything beyond Office 2007

Anonymous

seriously, they are only interested in annual subscriptions. That way they know who the idiots are and can get them involved in other shit. The fact that you want to bu a copy that lasts longer than a year would make them sit up and try to get you off the phone and out of their forums. They dont need people like you educating their dimwit customers.

Anonymous

With software, if you can’t own the product in full, it’s not worth the money and you shouldn’t buy it.
      >There’s no alternative
      Build one then
      >I don’t know how to
      Learn to
      >I don’t want to
      Then you deserve the fate you’ve been left with, you have the capacity to change this future, yet you choose not to, best to get comfortable with it.

Anonymous

Not him
        >With software, if you can’t own the product in full, it’s not worth the money and you shouldn’t buy it.
        What are you even ?
        Answer this
        1) Your position on GPL
        2) Your position on proprietary software.
        3) Your position on SAASS
        4) Your position on GNU / RMS

>>There’s no alternative
        Libre office
        >Build one then
        LOL NO !
        A) It is hard
        B) Libre office exists
        C) It will be easier to build a WW 2 tank by literally going mine craft style in the woods then making something 100% compatible with DOC.

>Learn to
        See above

>Then you deserve the fate you’ve been left with, you have the capacity to change this future, yet you choose not to, best to get comfortable with it.
        Not an argument !
        >you have the capacity to change this future
        No you do not the dominant software and services are a property of circumstances and money they got from them.
        Recreating what they have will take shit loads of money and time something rarely anyone has.

Why don’t you look at the GNU projects and how they look like for a dose of realism !

>best to get comfortable with it.
        Eat shit !

Anonymous

>1) Your position on GPL
          I agree with the idea behind the concept, I mostly agree with the idea that one can voluntarily apply such a license to the software they wrote, there are definitely issues with it however, but overall I don’t dislike it
          >2) Your position on proprietary software.
          I dislike using it personally, but if the author refuses to share the original source code of a compiled application they are well withing their rights to do so
          >3) Your position on SAASS
          Had to look this up, interesting concept, I’ll have to look into this further
          >4) Your position on GNU / RMS
          GNU was an important early step in the linux timeline
          RMS is a sperg but with his history around computers being woke af around the earliest days of computer use I can see why he’s militant about his cause

>Libre office
          Then use the alternative, it was moreso a general statement on the concept as a whole
          >LOL NO !
          Then you will be forced to use what’s available, if you refuse to build a better solution, you will continue to be bitter about what you’re forced to use, and it will continue to annoy you with no incentive to improve.
          >A) It is hard
          Yes, many things in life are difficult, but in return for suffering through difficulty you learn to make similar challenges easier.
          >B) Libre office exists
          If it works fine, use that.
          >C) It will be easier to build a WW 2 tank by literally going mine craft style in the woods then making something 100% compatible with DOC.
          A program is infinitely easier to build than a tank, writing code is not a difficult task.
          >Not an argument !
          You’re right, it’s a statement, if you cannot bring yourself to improve things you must learn to tolerate how they are.
          >No you do not the dominant software and services are a property of circumstances and money they got from them.
          They are all built from code to meet a need, you need only build the code to meet that need to replace them, typing costs no money.

Anonymous

>Recreating what they have will take shit loads of money and time something rarely anyone has.
          The greatest portion of time is allocated to learning how to do what you need to, the only money allocated is that which you need to run your computer.
          You do not need a perfect solution, only one that works for you.
          >Eat shit !
          This is the future you have chosen, don’t be angry with me over it’s consequences.

Anonymous

You’ll own nothing, and you’ll like it, anon.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.