Why are CRT people like this? I’d like to see a CRT do 4k hdr 120hz

Home Forums Science & tech Why are CRT people like this? I’d like to see a CRT do 4k hdr 120hz

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I’d like to see a CRT do 4k hdr 120hz and I’d like to see a lcd/oled have perfect black levels oh wait all techs have their limitations now where the fuck are my plasma and sed displays and 4k 120hz laser projectors

Anonymous

>old good new bad

Anonymous

In the case of smart (aka spy) Tvs old is better because they do not spy on you.

Anonymous

Neither do the new ones if you dont plug in the LAN cable

Anonymous

>he can’t set up simple firewall rules
          wow, i thought this was LULZ and I was pretty sure summer was already over, but i guess not.

Anonymous

>implying summer is ever over on LULZ

Anonymous

> you are a nazi if you aren’t a rabid consoomer
        Also go back to bunkerchan.

Anonymous

Hey, that’s exactly what CRT cultists look like.

Anonymous

>> you are a nazi if you aren’t a rabid consoomer
          no one said that. you’re projecting your insecurities

Anonymous

>trannies were the nazis back then
        >they’re still the nazis now
        Really makes one ponder.

Anonymous

Lolwut

Anonymous

>a German (((artist)))
        kek

Anonymous

I still remember the day that a big ass CRT tv I had on a table fell off and it hit the wall, that shit freaking destroyed the wall

Anonymous

woke af ChadRT just can’t stop winning

Anonymous

>I will not break for 50 years
      Most CRTs burn their tube with 5 years of continuous use
      Oh I know, don’t ask

Anonymous

I have a Goldstar CRT in my room that I took from my grandma’s house.
        She had been using this everyday since the 90s when she bought it.
        It’s still not burnt, and it’s not even a "good" one, just a cheap scrote CRT.
        It’s still great for PS1 games.

Anonymous

I have a GDM with 11k hours and it’s in a flawless condition. Picture brighter than my LCDs and uniformty better than anything I’ve ever seen.
        11k hours is 6 hours a day for FIVE years.
        And I know of a exact same model that has 30k hours and it’s still fine.
        One anon once posted an iiyama with 70k hours.. needed some servicing but it STILL worked .. okay. 9 freaking hours a day for 22 freaking years.

I think it’s fair to say that CRTs can last a damn eternity. But not all CRTs were made equal, these units have survivor bias on their side. And couple thousand dollar MSRPs.

Meanwhile OLEDs burn in under year in desktop usage! HIlarious!

Anonymous

>11k hours is 6 hours a day for FIVE years.
          Exactly, it’s not 24/7 for 5 years. Your point?

I got plenty of dim or burned in tubes, it’s more common than young people these days think, since most of them get thrown away and don’t show up in their CRT hunts.

Anonymous

Oh I missed the continuous part, yea 42k hours puts most monitors on their last legs. But why would anyone run their CRT continuously?

>it’s more common than young people these days think, since most of them get thrown away and don’t show up in their CRT hunts.
            I know, read my post again

Anonymous

>But why would anyone run their CRT continuously
              I have such a chaotic sleep pattern as well as chronic exhaustion so I never know when or how long I will actually be lying down or sleeping, so there is no good time to turn it off.

Anonymous

First, fix your sleep, you’re gonna feel much better. These cute 2hus should motivate you.
                Second, get an LCD to be your daily beater. There’s no need to burn phosphors for most of the things you do, cathodes are too precious for web browsing.

[…]
                […]
                Do you have any QLED and OLED comparissons?

Oh no no no :DD Dont do this to OLED shills :DDD

Anonymous

>Oh no no no :DD Dont do this to OLED shills :DDD
                  I just want to know if I made a poor financial decision by buying a QLED as I haven’t seen any comparrisons prior (the deal seemed good).

You’re wrong and should feel bad

OLEDs don’t even get that bright, at MOST around 800-900nits using tiny-ass 5% screen size boxes.

Full screen brightness for OLEDs caps out around 150-200nits, even for the newest panels.

[…]
                  Biggest difference between OLED and QLED is brightness, QLED gets MUCH brighter, which is why they’re recommended for rooms with windows and other ambient light sources, and OLEDs are recommended for home theater rooms with blackout blinds or no windows.

QLEDs get bad haloing in dark scenes with bright objects however.

>QLED gets MUCH brighter, which is why they’re recommended for rooms with windows and other ambient light sources
                  Ah, well, seems I’ve made the right choice anyway, then.
                  >QLEDs get bad haloing in dark scenes with bright objects however.
                  I haven’t noticed when watching films. I’ll look for them next time.

Anonymous

It’s super obvious in any film with subtitles in dark scenes.

Anonymous

I tried Halloween (1978) and Blade Runner (1982) and altough my subtitles were not like the one in your picture (from what I assume is a hardcoded sub as a character speaks another language) and were roughly in the black bar space, where I’d see the most difference, I saw no halos.

[…]
                      or scenes in space with bright objects, the QLED simply can’t deliver a dark inky black of space, because the LED array simply isn’t capable of dimming fully AND allowing for bright objects (like stars and the head lamps) on screen at the same time, so you get a murky grey instead of inky black.

Ah, well, I just got rid of my copy of Alien (the original and Covenant) and the only space film that I have now is 2001: A Space Odyssey (which is quite bright, even in dark scenes).
                      In your picture it looks quite jarring, but I didn’t notice it at all without something to compare it to.
                      Maybe if I made the switch to OLED I would then notice.
                      Thanks for posting the comparrison.

https://i.imgur.com/apdWGZe.gif

If you just let the QLED loose it would outshine the OLED, make it look dull like the plasma one. But on closer inspection OLED is easily superior.
                      OLEDs live much shorter lives than even CRTs though, while there really isn’t a lifetime limit with LCDs, including your QLED. Until some IOT service shuts down and bricks your TV anyway.

>while there really isn’t a lifetime limit with LCDs, including your QLED
                      That’s great to hear. I only bought this one because I broke my last one’s panel while reassembling it after a backlight repair. It bent a little too much and cracked in the middle. Me and my grandma cringed at the sight and sound of it.

>Until some IOT service shuts down and bricks your TV anyway.
                      I never connect it to the internet. It’s been a couple of years and I’ve never had any "connect now to update or don’t use your TV :^)" prompts.

Anonymous

or scenes in space with bright objects, the QLED simply can’t deliver a dark inky black of space, because the LED array simply isn’t capable of dimming fully AND allowing for bright objects (like stars and the head lamps) on screen at the same time, so you get a murky grey instead of inky black.

Anonymous

>comparison shots taken with a dirty phone camera
                      lol

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/apdWGZe.gif

If you just let the QLED loose it would outshine the OLED, make it look dull like the plasma one. But on closer inspection OLED is easily superior.
                    OLEDs live much shorter lives than even CRTs though, while there really isn’t a lifetime limit with LCDs, including your QLED. Until some IOT service shuts down and bricks your TV anyway.

Anonymous

Oh I missed the continuous part, yea 42k hours puts most monitors on their last legs. But why would anyone run their CRT continuously?

>it’s more common than young people these days think, since most of them get thrown away and don’t show up in their CRT hunts.
            I know, read my post again

>30 yo
            >used daily
            >almost unreadable
            *cleans decades of shop floor dust*
            *fiddles around with pots*
            Pssh, nothin’ personnel

Anonymous

Because it wasn’t used as long, I have plenty of green phosphor monochrome CRTs with ridiculous levels of burnin, some aren’t even 35 years old yet.

Anonymous

That machine might be more advanced and have a screensaver, I just wanted to post a cool image

Anonymous

If it only lasts 10 years it’s already 3x longer than modern TV’s

Anonymous

man you can almost make out what that message box is
            looks an awful lot like a mac system 7 dialogue box, along with the top bar
            if it crashed and was left unable to start a screensaver for days then that’d sure do it in

Anonymous

Yep, indeed. Shame also, was a high end Trinitron tube.

Anonymous

what error was that, since you seem to know it’s fate
                that doesn’t look like the iconic bomb

Anonymous

As far as I was told, it was supposed to have been left open with the shut down dialogue. Someone clicked shut down but forgot to turn it off and it stayed like that for days.
                  The text box is longer because it was a non English MacOS installation.

Anonymous
                    Anonymous

oh yea, that icon matches perfectly
                    while i have briefly used system 7, it was at school, so we didn’t tend to shut them down ourselves

Anonymous

oh yea, that icon matches perfectly
                    while i have briefly used system 7, it was at school, so we didn’t tend to shut them down ourselves

One of my doctors gave me his old SE/30 when he finally decided to upgrade his office. He was using that thing until 2010 and it has burn-in like you wouldn’t believe. I’m not sure he ever bothered to shut it down every night. Unfortunately after I got it the old Connor gave up and it has been sitting since.

Anonymous

he unironically used it until 2010? i mean i suppose there’s some things it could do forever, but usually even older folk will be happy to at least get a larger screen
                      the hdd did pretty good lasting that long, you can get ide/cf adapters for them, but i doubt you’d want to spend money on a machine with a cooked crt

Anonymous

>he unironically used it until 2010?
                        Yep. His whole practice used old Macs. I forgot why he upgraded though, I think it was because he was worried about the age of the computers. I do remember him saying he hated newer Macs and PCs.
                        >the hdd did pretty good lasting that long, you can get ide/cf adapters for them, but i doubt you’d want to spend money on a machine with a cooked crt
                        I had planned to get around to it eventually. I disassembled it like five years ago for cleaning/recapping/retr0brighting but never finished. It definitely needed some TLC. Hopefully I’ll actually put it back together before the end of the year since I’ve felt some motivation to finally finish it.

Anonymous

My grandmother has been using the same Trinitron since 2003. It works perfectly.

Anonymous

you dont know what the fuck you’re talking about

Even the shittiest mini bedroom TV with integrated VCR would take minimum 10 years for the fuzzlies to start appearing.

Is this place literally full of zoomers who have no understanding of the english language?

Anonymous

Even the shittiest mini bedroom TV with integrated VCR would take minimum 10 years for the fuzzlies to start appearing.

Anonymous

they will last about 25 years of on and off use. LEDs last 10 if they’re lucky.

Anonymous

Provide citation for both claims please, because that’s bullshit and we all, including you, know it.

Anonymous

14" Daewoo CRT my grandma bought in 1995: dead in 2018
            24" Panasonic CRT my parents bought in 1996: dead in 2020
            40" LG LED I bought in 2014: dead in 2019
            32" Samsung LED I bought in 2013: dead in 2020

Anonymous

Oh it’s all anecdotal, okay. Have a good day / night, sir.

Anonymous

anecdotal evidence is still evidence. consider yourself refuted.

Anonymous

14" Daewoo CRT my grandma bought in 1995: dead in 2018
          24" Panasonic CRT my parents bought in 1996: dead in 2020
          40" LG LED I bought in 2014: dead in 2019
          32" Samsung LED I bought in 2013: dead in 2020

lol you do realize that why the LED displays failed was the PWM drivers failing and not the lights?
          same like the CRTs that failed, failed because of failed H/V circuitry ot flybacks, not the tube wearing out

sure I’m might be wrong but anyone with a brain would easily take this on a bet

Anonymous

so freaking what. TV no worky. TV goes to the thrash.

Anonymous

because it shows you just buy cheap and bad shit and then blame it on the technology it uses (led, crt, etc)

Anonymous

scrote, even a $1000+ CRT from back in the day could shit the bed for any number of reasons within a few years.

Yeah, if you learned how to repair it, good for you. But you have to realize 90%+ of people will never bother, and the minute it doesn’t work, it’ll get tossed.

Anonymous

OLEDs have the shortest lifespans, yet they cost more than regular IPS or VA displays. What gives?

Anonymous

Early technology that is not widely produced and only owned by two companies.
                  LED =! OLED though. But even within the OLED market, you get what you pay for, there’s a difference in lifespan of the panel for identical time used between panels of different price classes too.

Anonymous

t.scrotebrained consoomer

Anonymous

you dont know what the fuck you’re talking about

Anonymous

I can have a 60 inch flat-screen that doesn’t weigh ten thousand pounds like a crt would.

Anonymous

I have a shitty 2yo 4k hdr400 65" bhaun from aldi aus and it’s unkillable its on 60hz so crap for gaming (not that my 2080ti can do any better) but it’s good for kino and hdr Suprisingly works well on mpc

It even shits on the 2k sdr projectors at the local kinoplex Suprisingly but obviously isn’t near as good as oled even my 2k vr odyssey+ and phone look better but not hdr sadly

Anonymous

too bad all CRTs are 50 years old now

Anonymous

>I will not break for another 50 years

Anonymous

All the CRT devices I’ve owned (2 monitors and 3 TVs) had some kind of malfunction after 3 years, and kept constantly failing after 1 to 2 years. The LCDs I’ve used had their first failure after 10 to 12 years.
        The tube lasts a shitload but it makes no difference if you gotta service them all the freaking time.

Anonymous

This, CRTs are piles of crap, had the picture tube go out on lots of TVs back in the day. Unlike LCD TVs which I still have some from 2007 that work great.

Anonymous

plasma wasn’t all up-sides, especially the manufacturing side.

Anonymous

Last time I remember seeing a plasma Irl was about a decade ago and it did look pretty dim

Anonymous

and this is compared to OLED, which is the dimmest of the modern high end displays.

>brighter is better

it’s not JUST brightness, also, modern content is created with HDR and higher brightness in-mind, so a display that can’t get bright, and can’t decode HDR colors, is obviously inferior to a modern high-end display.

Anonymous

Do be fair hdr does look better even on my hdr400 tv

Anonymous

almost all modern TVs will look better than a decade+ old plasma outside of a few edge scenarios (full screen grey uniformity and shit like that)

Anonymous

Is there any of these but with a CRT or projection hd CRT? Tvs

Anonymous

Not that I know of.

There really isn’t much point in making such comparisons because you can’t exactly go out and buy a CRT or Plasma in prime condition.

Even this test Plasma scrotes love to come in and claim that the guy who did the comparison clearly just loves OLED and hates plasma, and sabotaged the plasma to look worse in the test. Or that it’s too old and has run too long to represent what plasma’s COULD do in their best state.

You’re never gonna convince plasma scrotes that their TV isn’t the best thing ever.

Anonymous

Couldn’t they find new old stock or something? I know it’s rare/destroyed/expensive/lost but still it would be interesting
                    I remember as a kid back in the 90s the 1080i hd CRTs and lcds where dim as fuck all the displays where TV’s monitors etc I remember having to basically black out rooms

Anonymous

>Couldn’t they find new old stock or something?
                      Sure, and even then you’d get people claiming it’s invalid because the comparison monitor didn’t ALSO sit in a warehouse for 10-15+ years.

You’d also similarly get people who claim the tester is biased to begin with and any comparison they do is invalid.

the screen on the left is too bright!
                      Turn your screen brightness down in dark places.
                      You can literally see it reflecting off wood.

The point isn’t to showcase optimal image settings, the point is to show the difference between the two panels.

Anonymous

Yeah it’s like audiophile dumbshittery
                        I’m using ancient speakers from 15 years ago basically new hardly used and they sound fine

Display tech on the other hand has advanced to an insane degree 4k 120hz is the high end standard

Anonymous

>almost all modern TVs will look better
                        > inferior to a modern high-end display.
                        >The point isn’t to showcase optimal image settings, the point is to show the difference between the two panels.
                        Way to contradict yourself. Which one is it? Are all modern TVs better than plasmas, or only high end ones? Are your comparisons supposed to show better image overall, or just compare max brightness between two screens?
                        You complain about plasma evangelists but come across as an HDR evangelist yourself.

Anonymous

HDR is an integral part of the modern media being produced. Ignoring it because your shitty old plasma can’t do it doesn’t make you a purist or anything, it just makes you scrotebrained.

If you think ALL that those screenshots showcase is max brightness you’ve already confirmed you’re a scrotebrain anyway.

Anonymous

the screen on the left is too bright!
                Turn your screen brightness down in dark places.
                You can literally see it reflecting off wood.

Anonymous

Left looks like a deeper image. Right is blown out as fuck.

Anonymous

plasma/crt spergs can only ever resort to buzzwords that don’t correspond to any measurables if talking about anything other than motion resolution. it’s always something basically along these lines

>TV manufacturing peaked in 2010 with the pioneer elite plasma. i should know, i haven’t had anything since. these OLEDs don’t have the deep, 3D image like you’re looking through a window that plasma does. did you know that plasma tv’s have better native motion clarity? because they do

Anonymous

>what is dynamic range
                    >what are viewing angles
                    >what is multisyncing
                    plasma is definitely obsolete though, motion doesn’t matter since you can’t game on them anyway

Anonymous

Probably because the monitor you view the picture on sucks.

Anonymous

this is a delusion, OLED has better contrast ratio, brightness, and shadow detail.

About the only thing plasma does better is pure grey uniformity since consumer OLEDs have streaking

Anonymous

Modern displays are incredibly painful to look at. I have no idea why anyone would want such extreme brightness. And as for HDR, I would rather not have to continuously adapt to massive changes in brightness, properly exposed SDR shots do that for you.

Anonymous

You’re wrong and should feel bad

OLEDs don’t even get that bright, at MOST around 800-900nits using tiny-ass 5% screen size boxes.

Full screen brightness for OLEDs caps out around 150-200nits, even for the newest panels.

[…]
              […]

Biggest difference between OLED and QLED is brightness, QLED gets MUCH brighter, which is why they’re recommended for rooms with windows and other ambient light sources, and OLEDs are recommended for home theater rooms with blackout blinds or no windows.

QLEDs get bad haloing in dark scenes with bright objects however.

Anonymous

>mountain features are better on plasma than oled
            >less contrast so better visibility and pleasant to look at
            are you a plasma shill by any chance?

Anonymous

Literally anyone that says the plasma looks better there would be scrotebrained.

Just look at the freaking sun.

Anonymous

>brighter is better
                >ignore better features on everything else
                I wont.

Anonymous

It’s not JUST brighter, it’s literally a white formless blob of glare vs an actual freaking sun.
                  Again, cope more you freaking scrotebrains only see how bright it is and sperg out about how brightness doesn’t matter

brightness and contrast matter a fuck ton, and plasma contrast ratio simply can’t compare to an OLED’s.

Anonymous

cope

Anonymous

How am i coping?

I have a C9 55" and plan to get a C2 (or whatever the 2022 model is called) 42" for my desk.

Sounds like plasma cope to me.

Anonymous

plasmascrotes are delusional. those housefires are completely obsolete, high-end va panels are better.

Anonymous

>brighter is better

Anonymous

almost all modern TVs will look better than a decade+ old plasma outside of a few edge scenarios (full screen grey uniformity and shit like that)

and this is compared to OLED, which is the dimmest of the modern high end displays.

[…]
        it’s not JUST brightness, also, modern content is created with HDR and higher brightness in-mind, so a display that can’t get bright, and can’t decode HDR colors, is obviously inferior to a modern high-end display.

Not that I know of.

There really isn’t much point in making such comparisons because you can’t exactly go out and buy a CRT or Plasma in prime condition.

Even this test Plasma scrotes love to come in and claim that the guy who did the comparison clearly just loves OLED and hates plasma, and sabotaged the plasma to look worse in the test. Or that it’s too old and has run too long to represent what plasma’s COULD do in their best state.

You’re never gonna convince plasma scrotes that their TV isn’t the best thing ever.

Anonymous

Plasma was freaking terrible, between the heat, the picture and the fact you could brick one by tuning it upside down.

Anonymous

Yet there is people on LULZ who fanboy plasma just as much as CRTs.

Anonymous

The fuck are you talking about, scrote? I’ve had Plasma displays upside down, on their side, on their fronts, and never has anything happened to them.

Anonymous

Have fun with the flicker and your new glasses boyo

Anonymous

I’ve never worn glasses
        Flicker is worse on crt/plasma under 120hz anyway

Anonymous

>I’d like to see a CRT do 4k hdr 120hz
      No Hdr, but thats uneeded

Anonymous

that’s not 120hz

and even if it was, it’s so small that most people would never want to use it at that res anyway.

Anonymous

doesnt even make a difference going that hi-res on a CRT, if you can run 120hz at [email protected]

Anonymous

CRT scrotes can’t enjoy their shit
          They have to argue about it online, even that one finscrote is always like "i’m not here to shitpost" yet obviously every second of his posts is passive aggressive

I own more and better CRTs than most people here yet you don’t see me posting about them or pretending like they are the best thing since cats

Anonymous

>even that one finscrote is always like "i’m not here to shitpost"
            I’m not sure if I’ve ever said that, maybe in retro threads as I don’t want to do much collateral damage there.
            My mission here from the start was to shitpost until every last monitor thread here talks about motion clarity. And I succeeded at that.
            >pretending like they are the best thing since cats
            I love both

that’s not 120hz

and even if it was, it’s so small that most people would never want to use it at that res anyway.

You could do 2160i 120hz, but I’m not sure if even the mighty F520 can handle handle 550 million pixels a second well.

Anonymous

The only thing you’ve succeeded is make people not want to talk about CRTs seriously any more
              I actually miss CRT threads before this zoomer shit started

Honestly fuck you and yes I’m mad, be happy if this is your goal

Anonymous

>The only thing you’ve succeeded is make people not want to talk about CRTs seriously any more
                This, the threads these days are all just copy-paste, every week we have 1-2 threads that are identical to the last weeks one, same 2-3 anons making the same arguments and using the thread as their personal pooping spot for (You)’s trying to feel superior because a piece of technology they use while anons who don’t give a fuck and are passing thru just come by and say dumb shit and then leave and never even think about what happened in that thread again. Rinse and repeat.
                There’s a reason everything after newscrotes from 2010+ onwards is named cancer, these people are actual zoomers thinking they are big brain ironic shitposting, while they are just dumb scrotes pooping up the place. Compared to actual good quality posts we used to have and actual deep discussion, people on here used to meet up and talk about their passions, now there’s nothing like that anymore. Even the bait used to be good quality and not the mindless copy paste shitposts we have now because zoomers can’t come up with anything good.

Anonymous

>acknowledging to being here just to shitpost and ruin the quality of the board and discussions further

>until every last monitor thread here talks about motion clarity. And I succeeded at that.
                delusional, you’re the only one ever who brings up that argument

>The only thing you’ve succeeded is make people not want to talk about CRTs seriously any more
                This, the threads these days are all just copy-paste, every week we have 1-2 threads that are identical to the last weeks one, same 2-3 anons making the same arguments and using the thread as their personal pooping spot for (You)’s trying to feel superior because a piece of technology they use while anons who don’t give a fuck and are passing thru just come by and say dumb shit and then leave and never even think about what happened in that thread again. Rinse and repeat.
                There’s a reason everything after newscrotes from 2010+ onwards is named cancer, these people are actual zoomers thinking they are big brain ironic shitposting, while they are just dumb scrotes pooping up the place. Compared to actual good quality posts we used to have and actual deep discussion, people on here used to meet up and talk about their passions, now there’s nothing like that anymore. Even the bait used to be good quality and not the mindless copy paste shitposts we have now because zoomers can’t come up with anything good.

Retro etc threads are your safe haven. Hell, even this thread’s been rather chill for now, hasn’t it? What else do you want? CRTs were a completely dead topic few years ago.

Anonymous

>CRTs were a completely dead topic few years ago.
                  Wrong. You can go die in a hole, we had several decent threads a month, now we have shitloads of CRT threads but they are all shitposting. No wonder people shoehorned themselves into LULZ CRT general, since even that is a better place to talk about CRTs in general than here these days. I don’t care about retro threads, go and talk there if you want, I just want comfy CRT threads back that weren’t full of zoomer shitposting and reddit tier scrotery.

Anonymous

CRTs are dying, nothing you can do about it

the longer people use their CRTs, the more that will die. As time goes on, more and more will die without any more being produced.

Anonymous

You okay? I wasn’t talking about CRTs dying.

Anonymous

Why do you think the threads are getting worse and worse?

People who had good CRTs no longer do, and thus, they no longer give a single fuck about CRT threads, hence the CRT threads have turned to garbage.

Anonymous

What, everyone serious about this, including me, has no shortage of good CRTs, half of those people I met here but we rarely ever talk here anymore since the threads get flooded by shitposts, even though sometimes we try.

Anonymous

all the more reason to get one right now, do you even hoard?

Anonymous

Even if you somehow managed to find a high-end CRT with a limited number of hours on it, it still can’t be expected to last all THAT long in the grand scheme of things.

At most you’ll get ~5-10 years of solid use, and realistically you’ll get less than that as the odds of finding a high-end CRT in 2021 that’s been treated lightly are pretty slim anyway.

Not to mention, the people with the nice higher end CRTs all basically know what they’re worth these days, so you’re paying out the ass, or hunting around for months, if not years until you happen to get lucky and find one being thrown away or sold for dirt cheap, and in those situations, beggars can’t be choosers, and you’ll very likely find one near the end of the component lifespan and it wont last more than a handful of years anyway.

There are simply no real compelling reasons to bother hunting for CRTs these days unless you’re just autistic. The time for that was ~2010-2015.

Anonymous

>Even if you somehow managed to find a high-end CRT with a limited number of hours on it, it still can’t be expected to last all THAT long in the grand scheme of things.
                        Preventive maintenance does wonders.
                        >At most you’ll get ~5-10 years of solid use, and realistically you’ll get less than that as the odds of finding a high-end CRT in 2021 that’s been treated lightly are pretty slim anyway.
                        Get spares and cycle the usage between them while looking for new ones to replace the shittier ones.
                        >Not to mention, the people with the nice higher end CRTs all basically know what they’re worth these days, so you’re paying out the ass, or hunting around for months, if not years until you happen to get lucky and find one being thrown away or sold for dirt cheap, and in those situations, beggars can’t be choosers, and you’ll very likely find one near the end of the component lifespan and it wont last more than a handful of years anyway.
                        I’d pay a premium for a 21" tbh but thats just the reality of a limited resource. That said good deals are still out there, I got both of my 19" for next to nothing (only paid for shipping) and they have relatively low hours (one had 10k hours last year and the others has 2000). I’d say it’s an issue if you daily drive the monitor, but for occasional usage it lasts forever basically.
                        >There are simply no real compelling reasons to bother hunting for CRTs these days unless you’re just autistic. The time for that was ~2010-2015.
                        Haha, then how do you explain so many people still finding NOS monitors recently? Sure, not awhile ago people were throwing 21" monitors out and even willing to pay YOU to get them out of their houses, but never too late, you NEED to be persistant. The GOOD deals are still out there, avoid the "RETROGAMER 1080P MONITOR" guys and look for "old monitor" listing and you may have some luck.

Anonymous

>Haha, then how do you explain so many people still finding NOS monitors recently?
                        Because even CRT scrotes don’t give a shit anymore and are offloading them for decent $$$ while they still work.

Anonymous

>CRTs are dying, nothing you can do about it
                      chud, you’re going to die earlier than the CRT monitors, I can guarantee that, kek

Anonymous

Then go make a good ol’ tube thread. Every single OP is always bait or a shitpost and the whole thread ends up as just that.
                    I wont crash your circlejerk.

Would you guys buy a new crt if i made one even if it was only 640*480?
                    Assume I can do so, would you buy one and what would you pay?

Low-res CRTs probably have a better audience with retro gamers. I don’t have a use for such thing so I wouldn’t buy one. Unless you manage a price competitive with aliexpress new-old-stocks. Might a fun toy to mess around with.

whoa there, you gotta visit neogeo forums, they’re also partly to blame for the rise in PVM/BVM prices

Meant LULZ specifically

Anonymous

whoa there, you gotta visit neogeo forums, they’re also partly to blame for the rise in PVM/BVM prices

Anonymous

>My mission here from the start was to shitpost

Then go make a good ol’ tube thread. Every single OP is always bait or a shitpost and the whole thread ends up as just that.
              I wont crash your circlejerk.

[…]
              Low-res CRTs probably have a better audience with retro gamers. I don’t have a use for such thing so I wouldn’t buy one. Unless you manage a price competitive with aliexpress new-old-stocks. Might a fun toy to mess around with.

[…]
              Meant LULZ specifically

>I wont crash your circlejerk.

Anonymous

Why would I spam CRT pills in a thread where everyone already is CRT pilled??

Anonymous

I feel like if we’d spent 30 years improving CRT we’d be well ahead of LCD TV’s today.

Anonymous

Wrong, CRTs reached an apex back in the late 1990s. They ran into scalability issues. You couldn’t the screen make larger since the weight of the glass becomes a big problem when fitting and blowing it. You the tubes would need a lot more power to drive modern resolutions and refresh rates and would necessity the need for active cooling like projectors.
          They were at an evolutionary dead-end. The technology was already decades old. We would stuck with same 22-24" units limited to 4Megapixel resolutions at best.

Anonymous

same with plasma in the mid ’10s. they couldn’t make them 4K at any reasonable size, they were maxing out how bright they could get while maintaining good contrast and not burning in/eating 1000W of electricity etc, there’s so many limiting factors to plasma that OLED has a way higher ceiling on that’s it’s dumb to think that manufacturers are just "greedy and don’t want to make quality products anymore" lol

Anonymous

>acknowledging to being here just to shitpost and ruin the quality of the board and discussions further

>until every last monitor thread here talks about motion clarity. And I succeeded at that.
      delusional, you’re the only one ever who brings up that argument

Anonymous

do they even make non-botnet tvs anymore?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Depends what I need it for. I have several Commodore displays that accept Y/C or composite and I use them with old microcomputers and consoles to display their content…
        Here they go for like 30 – 50 eurobucks for a good model.

Anonymous

Spot the zoomer!

TV repair use to be an actual profession.

Anonymous

So CRTs are bad because you don’t have to dispose of them and they create local employment?
        I fuckin love CRT’s now! Complete antithesis to the chinkshit era we live in

Anonymous

I still remember in the A+ study materials they had a section on CRT repair with big emphasis on how easily it could cause you to become an hero and how to discharge the capacitors with a big freaking bang. The fuckers wore out on the regular, the surviving monitors in good condition are mostly premium models owned by rich people who only owned a TV to entertain guests.

I also recall for years how nerds were well aware of the inferiority of early LCD’s and insisted on sticking with CRTs for years longer than normies ESPECIALLY because DPI scaling was literally not a thing when LCDs came out so you were often forced to stretch the displayed resolution to get your OS at a usable size, but demand eventually completely collapsed as software support improved and we started to see LED backlit IPS in esoteric sizes like 27" 1440p. Since then we now have like 4k120hz OLED which just wipes the floor with CRT. A 27" CRT drew like 200w from the freaking wall and weighed 70 pounds while flickering and irradiating you.

People who realize that CRTs are yes, still better than modern displays in some respects are just missing the forest for the trees because they really want to feel smart by being contrarians and playing old video games on a 19" display to flex their intellectual prowess. They’re so obsessed with the theoretically better picture on the screen (which isn’t actually better) that they bring old ugly heavy hunks of shit into their house because they totally lack taste. I can’t imagine anybody but zoomers could actually buy into this spec whoring over common sense nonsense.

Anonymous

>ecause DPI scaling was literally not a thing when LCDs came out so you were often forced to stretch the displayed resolution to get your OS at a usable size
          You just used it 1:1 (100%) size. Even with laptops in the 90’s. It was quite literally pixel-perfect.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

thanks, but I’m still sticking it to your mom

Anonymous

>while flickering and irradiating you.
          Flickering is a meme and so is radiation.

Anonymous

Muh aesthetic vidya scrotes have ruined CRT discussion way more than the 2hu scrote has. CRT TVs have always been garbage and aren’t worth talking about. Replicating shitty fuzzy smeared pixels on purpose is scrotebrained. CRT monitors have unrivaled motion clarity across a variety of framerates, and some people value that over high resolutions and perfect geometry. Simple as.

Anonymous

What? The only way I play is composite on CRT TVs, sure they are high end ones but still TVs. Composite artifacting and CRT dithering is a freaking thing, no amount of your shitpost won’t change that.

>Muh aesthetic vidya scrotes have ruined CRT discussion way more than the 2hu scrote has.
        >CRT monitors have unrivaled motion clarity across a variety of framerates, and some people value that over high resolutions and perfect geometry.
        Oh it is you, 2hu scrote samescroteging

Anonymous

>Oh it is you, 2hu scrote samescroteging
          Check the IP count. Also I’m pretty sure the 2hu scrote and I don’t even agree on this topic.

People wanting to replicate the aesthetic of low resolution CRTs with filters or other nonsense almost exclusively don’t actually use good CRTs or understand their benefits. I’m glad you’re not included in that group. Wanting to view content with averaged pixels as it was intended just makes you not scrotebrained, which is fine. I’m a CRT scrote and am insulted to be grouped in with idiots who think that phosphor trails, excessive bleeding, and shit geometry are soulful and worth preserving.

Anonymous

It was a joke.

Anonymous

Speaking of IP count
            More CRT pilled anons should answer me here, I’m curious still

Anonymous

>Also I’m pretty sure the 2hu scrote and I don’t even agree on this topic.
            I think I agree with all you’ve said actually. I’ve never liked retro stuff or SD TVs.

Your first post was 29th IP btw.

Anonymous

>I’ve never liked retro stuff or SD TVs.
              one day you’ll buy a actually good monitor and you’ll realize what a dumdum you’ve been
              at least CRT scrotes have an excuse consuming old content, you’re just a projecting poorscrote

Anonymous

are you always scrotebrained or just on workdays?

Anonymous

Right looks better.

Anonymous

whatever scrotebrain

Anonymous

All you need to do is add a filter.

Anonymous

filter removes latency and add’s motion clarity??? I’m playing with real hardware you dumfuk

Anonymous

>CRT TVs have always been garbage and aren’t worth talking about. Replicating shitty fuzzy smeared pixels on purpose is scrotebrained
        dont hate, its amazing for SD sources

Anonymous

CRT TVs are blurry shit especially if they have composite. But even with composite I could tell a difference in motion when watching anime. Things seemed to move more naturally, more fluidly.

Anonymous

I don’t think much anime would match the refresh rate of your CRT TV. Maybe things like scrolling backgrounds that probably did use every frame.

Anonymous

Woke af scrotebrain. Wtf do you mean anime wouldn’t match the refresh rate of a CRT. For one thing CRTs don’t care about specific refresh rates, the other is that all dvd/VHS/broadcast sources are outputting at standard NTSC/pal refresh rate no matter what.

CRT motion clarity is easily the hardest thing about them to replicate but I feel like the present BFI implementation on newer OLEDs is close enough for any video content. For old games I still use my CRT because everything just werks and it looks tight/no input delay

Anonymous

Unless the anime was animated on ones (uncommon), you’re going to get duplicate frames, and when that occurs on a strobed display like a CRT, you can end up with duplicated images as your eyes scroll to follow the moving content. Whether that or motion blur is more "natural" or "fluid" depends on the observer I suppose.

Anonymous

you’re scrotebrained and you don’t get how this stuff works. this is what 3:2 pulldown is for. otherwise all film woke af content would have been juddery stuttery messes on CRT tv’s for decades and decades. i know you’re just going to say "but it was" but try to hear me out on this one

Anonymous

>i know you’re just going to say "but it was"
                  How about "but it was, except nobody noticed because a majority of 24 FPS content has motion blur baked into it to help hide it, with the exception of certain animated content e.g. anime". The good news is that very little anime content has movement like that. But for that same reason, most anime doesn’t really benefit from being viewed on a CRT these days.

Anonymous

not him but yea, it was, and telecined content looks like freaking garbage no matter what display you use
                  i’m thankful i live in a PAL region for at least avoiding that (i’ll take 4% speedup over telecine any day)

Anonymous

>otherwise all film woke af content would have been juddery stuttery messes on CRT tv’s for decades and decades.
                  there’s a reason tvs prominently advertised "true 24p" when that became a thing
                  yes, until then we literally had no way to play 24fps media with intended timing

Anonymous

Meh, I didnt really care. I hooked up a hdmi to av converter anyway. It was really smooth

Anonymous

CRT > LOLED

Anonymous

>Yeah sis lets make the flyback part of the powersupply
      >Sure 3 wires out of it is a good idea
      >Yeah why not put a capacitor in there aswell
      >Oh and lets get it made by chinese no name brand
      No wonder the NEC died designers were on crack, shame for the mitsu tube trapped in the dogshit chassis

Anonymous

Just look at this no wonder it’s making arching sounds fuck

Anonymous

dust is conductive

Anonymous

wash it, the dust can be lethal

Anonymous

Clean it now post after

Anonymous

people don’t want to hear it but CRT tech was purposely sabotaged and quickly switched before it could really reach its peak
      and now basically all the tech is gone and lost

Anonymous

kek

Anonymous

Wrong, CRTs died because other display technologies were superior in a large number of ares that were relevant. It did reached a peak in 1990s. It simply wasn’t profitable to make units anymore.
        >"MAH MOTION CLARITY!"
        That advantage marginalized to point that it wasn’t worth the headaches and cost associated with CRTs for 99% of the market.
        The only use case for CRT is pure 100% nostalgia trip.

Anonymous

>other display technologies were superior in a large number of ares that were relevant.
          yea, such as;
          – cheaper to manufacture
          – smaller and lighter to save on shipping costs
          etc
          plenty of reasons for manufacturers to find any excuse to switch to them

Anonymous

Perfect screen geometry
            Scalable as hell
            Digital output capable
            Superior contrast and color accuracty if done right
            Superior form factor
            More durable
            Metrics that matter much more to 99% of users than the slightly better motion clarity that CRTs can offer over a modern LCD.
            This is coming from a ex-CRT scrote that used units in their heyday not contrarian hipsters who’s only experience with CRT are high-end model that exist and work today.

Anonymous

more contrast, but less dynamic range
              good tubes can get 99.999% perfect geometry
              and they definitely aren’t more durable, lol.
              you also forgot that lcds have really shit viewing angles, but every tube is perfect. there’s also problems lcds face just by being made as cheaply as possible which don’t even need to be problems, but are, even on expensive ones:
              >uniformity/backlight bleed
              >dead pixels
              >IPS glow

Anonymous

CRTs are fragile as shit. Go ahead and drop that unit especially if it lands on the screen facade and come back.
                Phosphors do eventually fade away or burn-in if you neglectful.
                You can at least replace the backlight on older LCDs monitors before manufactures started to tightly integrated them into panel assembly.

Anonymous

yes things break if you abuse them anon
                  you can replace the whole tube itself, too, if we still made them

Anonymous

Just how long have you been posting here?

Anonymous

The seething nuCRT-scrotes getting called out when people who used them remember how they actually were

Anonymous

You don’t even break character

Anonymous

>le lived experience better than measurements
                  your type are always the same

Anonymous

The seething nuCRT-scrotes getting called out when people who used them remember how they actually were

>nuCRTscrotes vs nushitposters
                Can’t you just make your own board and go there?

Anonymous

>"Bad people are making fun of my old ass POS screen!"
                  >" I want a safespace/echo chamber to insulate my delusions!

Anonymous

I literally just said "nuCRTscrotes", the people shilling CRTs like God’s second coming. Bad reading comprehension?

Anonymous

>More durable
              kek, a friend of mine threw an empty plastic bottle at his tv to scare off a fly, and it popped the whole panel
              good luck damaging a crt by throwing a freaking plastic container at it

Anonymous

You can also damage/scratch the glass if you throw a plastic bottle hard enough. There’s a reason why CRT packaging was caked on and layered. It was fragile as a glassware set. The greatest fear of all CRT-scrotes is having an unit face-plant glass first (CRTs are front-heavy). Seen horror stories among movers back in the day.

Anonymous

you can’t ship a large lcd panel flat either due to damage concerns
                  a crt being dropped on its face is bad because it’s heavy
                  an lcd being dropped on its face is bad because it’s flimsy
                  note that i’m not necessarily calling either worse, if you treat them right neither will just spontaneously dismantle
                  but calling lcds more durable… i don’t buy that

Anonymous

Have fun freaking up the calibration thanks to being dumb.

Anonymous

>that barely hearable coil whine from neighbor tv driving you insane at night
      God, I’m glad they are gone. Or I’m old enough to not hear it anymore. Or both. CRT TVs made sleeping at my grandma’s in commieblock a living hell.

Anonymous

[…]

Did you just dox yourself anon?

Anonymous

[…]

What happened to my sis Erkin?

Anonymous

[…]

You have some nice CRTs around there for cheap

Anonymous

Not really
        >17inch

Anonymous

Nothing wrong with the size

Anonymous

this is pure CRT cope

Anonymous

Why? Different sizes fit different places. As a second monitor for emulation I’d use nice 17", while for the main setup monitor I use a 21".

Anonymous

I use a 43" and a 27" at my desk

It’s 2021, I’m not going back to 2005 and anyone trying to tell me 21" or 17" are just fine in 2021 I automatically assume has autism or is simply a luddite.

Anonymous

Well, widescreen CRTs aren’t really useful for me and I use VGA CRTs and not 15kHz CRTs. Plus even 27" would be pretty big for the desk, specially as a second monitor for emulators.

Anonymous

It’s just a silly meme picture but actually you can do "strange signal goes in picture comes out" if you are talking about ota antenna tv on a modern tv. Hell I’ve used a freaking clothes hanger to do it. They all have tuners in them.

Anonymous

CRTs literally suffer from burn-in and died all the time. Don’t confuse survivorship bias with CRT’s being durable.

LCDs have become incredibly durable ever since they switched from CCFLs to LED backlights and are more durable than CRTs ever were. LCD’s can last freaking forever if they’re engineered to last freaking forever.

Anonymous

> LED backlights
        Gross, CCFL look way better

Anonymous

buyers remorse typically, crt is a novelty, which is fine, but no one sees it that way

Anonymous

I love my crts but I can’t recommend using them as daily drivers for anything but visual media. The scarcity makes you feel the need to be delicate with them but there is also the desire to constantly tweak the image.

Anonymous

My parents have been using their early gen LED TV for like 20 years no issues

Anonymous

I seem to recall a lot of people setting their CRT monitors to 72Hz precisely to watch films and such, since 24 FPS divides cleanly into that. Was that just placebo?

Anonymous

Do TVs actually need updates now, don’t they make dumb TVs(regular TV)? I have a $50 TV from kijiji that is a decade old but works perfectly. Is it actually that bad now?

Anonymous

OLEDs have much better black levels than CRTs. Even LCDs outperform them in this area most of the time. CRTs having good blacks is a complete meme perpetuated by zoomers who have never experienced having to close all of their curtains just to watch TV on a sunny day.

Anonymous

It’s because when lcd came out 20-35+ years ago it didn’t have good blacks VS crt
        Last 5+ years lcds with fald have been better

Anonymous

>don’t connect TV to the internet
      Problem solved.

Anonymous

You cant stack shit on top of a flatscreen and you cant play lightgun games case closed.
      You dont need 4k just to watch TV, a 480i TV is enough for DVDs and TV and a 1080i crt TV is literally all you need if you play modern consoles or have blu rays

Anonymous

U have mental health problems

Anonymous

Resolution is a meme, pixel density is a much better measure, a 20inch HDTV is just as sharp as 72inch 4kTV
      1440×1080
      or
      1920×1440
      are woke af resolutions for 20inch monitor and NO slow pixels lower res better then slow pixels

Anonymous

I know this is completely unrelated but youd need atleast 320khz vertical refresh rate out of a crt to preogressively scan [email protected], 2k is much better and actually doable on high end models at a progressive 85hz, interlaced you could probably run 4k comfortably on a 2070SB or a high end vision master, but then your sacrificing a bit of motion clarity and just general clarity due to having an obsenely high pixel clock

Anonymous

You actually need only 133khz for 4k60hz. 4k85hz is at 190khz.
        If by 4k we mean 2160p as is the industry standard

Anonymous

Yeah I meant this "4k" as 2k, I thought 4k would be 4000x3000p.
          Resolutions are confusing, im sticking with 1280×960 anyway because my PC isn’t high end

Anonymous

You actually need only 133khz for 4k60hz. 4k85hz is at 190khz.
            If by 4k we mean 2160p as is the industry standard

how about just stop misusing terms
            2K is 2048×1080
            1080p/FHD is 1920×1080
            1440p/QHD is 2560×1440
            2160p/UHD is 3840×2160
            4K is 4096×2160

people mixing up 2K with 1440p is dumb and needs to stop, 2K has a definition already, don’t make it confusing

Anonymous

All 16:9 and not applicable to ,ost crt otherwise your image will be stretched

Anonymous

to a crt, only line count matters, which is why names like "1080p" are a thing in the first place, it’s just line count and scan type
                1080p equalling 1920×1080 is due to it being part of the digital HDTV standard, where the horizontal resolution does have a fixed definition, 1080p was likely made alongside FullHD / FHD for easy comparison with the analog standards of 480p, 567i, etc
                it is both fair and technically accurate to call say, 1440×1080 "1080p" (or 1080i if the case may be), since you are only counting lines, which there are still 1080 of

Anonymous

Not true, shouldn’t crts be capable of doing 9999999999999x1440p then?

Anonymous

They are limited by the horizontal circuitry.
                    I use [email protected] with BFI for emulation for example.

Anonymous

yep, you can feed a crt 9999999999999x1440p (assuming it can do 1440p) and it will display it happily, they have no concept of horizontal resolution
                    now of course, i’m not saying the physical display has the necessary focus or colour mask to actually resolve all of that, after a certain point there just won’t be any visible change, but as far as accepting an input signal, yep, horizontal resolution doesn’t matter
                    this is actually not that unusual a thing to do, some things like retroarch even have build in options for this kind of "superresolution", where you use a very high horizontal resolution like say 2560×480, just because you can and it does make some difference, even on a bog standard old tv

Anonymous

as for 720×480, that was made up for dvd
                    and 640×480? square pixels at 4:3
                    both were invented for digital purposes and have no relation to crt limits
                    as for a stretched image, just feed it a squashed 4:3 image and it will come out 4:3, dvd’s 720×480 isn’t square pixels either

Anonymous

well, the 720 from dvd is kind of related, while it’s not any kind of technical limit, 720 was chosen as they considered more than that to be not very noticeable on a typical tv

Anonymous

CRTs have no concept of horizontal pixels, they are analog devices. A pixel to a CRT is like what a sample is to a cassette tape. You know how you can copy a cd to a cassette tape and it works but does not quite sound as good. Well the same principal applies to the CRT. So if you fed 9999999999999x1440p into a CRT it would produce a picture, but obviously it could not resolve 9999999999999 pixels of resolution.

Anonymous

"new" tube soon BNC time

Anonymous

Rocket launcher Ran cute I love you Ran chan

have sex incel

Anonymous

My wife doesn’t have a body so I cant

Anonymous

Rocket launcher Ran cute I love you Ran chan

Anonymous

Why did my CRTs all break then

Anonymous

Natural selection.
        All the chinese crap is dead and only grorious nippon and supperior german technology remain

Anonymous

Technically the CRT was most likely fine, what actually broke was some capacitors or some other random component.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Unironically can’t wait to shitpoostin in a few decades when all CRTs are dust and show off my high end NOS tubes.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Just make decent LCDs so I can finally put this tube to rest. All I need is FALD and good strobing.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>radioactive
      >last for 50 years

this meme is either bate or was made by someone extremely scrotebrained

Anonymous

Real display tech enthusiasts just rock both. Self emissive sony gang, we out here

Anonymous

in my life time, every crt tv i owned barring… 1 broke within a few year life span. meanwhile, every flat screen tv i have ever owned worked until i simply wanted to upgrade because picture fidelity kept getting better.

Anonymous

I had a couple of lcds back lights get a little dim but yeah same and I’ve been using them for 20 years
        CRTs lasted about 1-3 years

Anonymous

how long we gotta wait for scrotebrains from reddit to stop posting their buyer’s remorse on LULZ? We get it, you overpaid for a low res, heavy radiation box. no one gives a shit.

Anonymous

>"Bad people are making fun of my old ass POS screen!"
        >" I want a safespace/echo chamber to insulate my delusions!

(You)

Anonymous

GO
      BACK
      NOW

Anonymous

To where I’ve been here since 06

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id