When will Harvard/current ivy leagues stop being prestigious?

Home Forums General & off-topic When will Harvard/current ivy leagues stop being prestigious?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

When will it stop being prestigious?

Anonymous

Never.

Anonymous

Another decade, two at most. It’s already losing some of its luster.

Anonymous

the whole point of ivy league schools is to give a visible barrier to the plebs that they’ll never reach prestige as the elites do, hence why OxBridge, Harvard, Yale and MIT will never cease to be the cream of the crop as long as the anglosphere (america mostly) dominates the world

Anonymous

MIT isn’t ivy league

Anonymous

it’s considered that way

Anonymous

When it comes to STEM, it is considered superior.

Anonymous

I work in silicon valley. All MIT grads I encounter are super autists with zero real "vision" if that makes sense. Like they would be the best at working on this little aspect or subject but have no big picture thinking or ambition. All of those guys actually running things seems to be Stanford or UCB/UCLA/UCD/UCSD guys. My boss is a cal poly grad

Anonymous

>MIT isn’t ivy league
          correct. it is better.

Anonymous

And Caltech is better still.

Anonymous

Except they are all now being filled to the brim with chinks and POC. They are letting in as many plebs as they can, as fast as they can. The luster will be gone in a decade

Anonymous

I’ve been a hiring manager for a little over a year now and I’m personally not impressed with an ivy league degree. My opinion is irrelevant outside of my organization, but it’s becoming more common. Experience is more important than what school you went to imo.

The gap in quality between ivy league schools and other universities is also closing rapidly. Someone who got a BA in economics from Harvard learned the same things as someone who got a BA in economics from a large state school or a non-ivy private university. Of course there are good schools and shitty schools, but the number of good, non-ivy league schools is growing. At this point, the two biggest things that ivy league schools have going for them are their massive endowments and their networking systems. That’s literally it.

When will they stop being considered “prestigious” though? Whenever they stop producing CEO’s and politicians. That won’t happen any time soon. Not because ivy graduates are smarter or more ambitious than everyone else, but because they have created a system where they continuously groom each other and hire each other into positions of power. It’s a bonked up cycle.

Anonymous

>Whenever they stop producing CEO’s and politicians.
        That may take some time since they are usually like 80 years old.

Also what are your thoughts on this?

Anonymous

My hatred for the garden gnome grows every day.

Anonymous

garden gnomes send their kids to prep schools to score highly on the entrance exams rather like WASPs, it isn’t really a conspiracy. However elite garden gnomes certainly are a very tight knit bunch, more so than WASPs.

Anonymous

garden gnomes are 100% the most nepotistic group in this country.
              Which isn’t inherently a bad thing but people don’t seem to allow it to be recognized in garden gnomes but call anything that even looks like it out in whites.

Anonymous

I’m a palestinian who attends a uni on this list. My garden gnome detecting sense is extremely precise and it goes off constantly while attending this shithole. Always walking on eggshells, but I’m not surprised. I was raised knowing gnomish presence in nearly every avenue of power and influence in the usa so none of it phases me anymore

Anonymous

On this topic, why does the Ivy League not dominate the USA in the same way that Oxbridge does the UK? In the US, a great many Presidents and very powerful people didn’t even go to an Ivy League uni. In the UK however, essentially every Prime Minister was Oxbridge educated, and it’s basically impossible to get in the door of politics, law, journalism, the media, even comedy if you didn’t go to Oxford or Cambridge.

Anonymous

Ivy League is not synonymous with elite in the US
        MIT, Stanford, Northwest, MIT, UChicago are all considered the same tier as the Ivy League
        In fact, not all Ivy League Colleges are equal in caliber. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton are with the big boys while the rest are usually considered below the other non Ivy League colleges I mentioned.

Anonymous

Upper class Americans have never been able to close off entry to the upper class the way that upper class Britons have, because America is simply too big. There are so many different avenues for upward social mobility, so every elite class gets cucked by the next batch of up and comers.

Anonymous

I think Americans are also a lot more skeptical of elites than Brits are. Take the Bush family, for instance, who are pretty similar to a lot of British elite families in that they are of WASP heritage, generational wealth, private school educated, all went to elite universities, etc. In America they began to be hated the more they entrenched themselves as a "dynasty", whereas in Britain a family of similar status and wealth wouldn’t even stand out as anything special in the political landscape.

Americans seem to prefer their leaders to at least feign some kind of "everyman" image and to downplay their elite status if they have any. Whereas Brits readily elect politicians like Boris Johnson, David Cameron, Jacob Rees-Mogg etc who come from extremely privileged upper class families and don’t even try to hide it.

Anonymous

>Whereas Brits readily elect politicians like Boris Johnson, David Cameron, Jacob Rees-Mogg etc who come from extremely privileged upper class families and don’t even try to hide it.
            Boris tried to play an everyman card, and often is seen in that light despite having the exact same background as Cameron. However, it’s largely because it’s honesty. People like Mogg are posh and don’t hide it, so they’re respected as such. Whereas in America, Jacksonian politics is still rooted deep, and guys like Truman and Nixon, who came from dirt, were liked in their times. The FDR, the Bushes, and Trump are rare examples of very status/wealth-focused people who actually made it without having to downplay their status much or, in Trump’s case, actively flaunted it.

Anonymous

>in Trump’s case, actively flaunted it.

in some way, Trump is to Republicans what rappers are to black people

Anonymous

Eh, Trump just spoke to regular people in a way that showed that he understood their plight. He said what everyone was already thinking
                >Someone’s doing the raping
                The average working class American hates the Spanish speaking bean next to him at the factory

Anonymous

>he understood their plight
                  Do people still believe that a millionaire trust fund kid from New York understands their blue collar plight?

Anonymous

Has any other politician come out called illegals for what they are?

Anonymous

Hating illegals == understanding what it’s like to work 50 hours a week and make $40k a year. Also, when he was actually in office, Trump wasn’t much stricter on illegals than Obama and Bush.

Anonymous

I mean in a way he did, the reason trump could so easily connect with a part of America was tuned out was because he was a literal moron, and thus could connect with the vast swathes of morons in the country better than any other politician. I mean thats why people hate Ted Cruz, he apes the same schtick, but hes not a moron just an opportunist. Unfortunately for him people can sniff that out and hate him for it, they can tell he thinks he’s the smartest guy in room despite trying to act like a moron.

Now I’m not saying that its bad to engage with the morons of the country, Trump was just the first to really do it well. Maybe, in the future a lefty moron will arise who will gain the same following as Trump did. But for now Trump owns the morons.

Anonymous

>the reason trump could so easily connect with a part of America was tuned out was because he was a literal moron
                      Meh, I think he was just a really good con artist with decades of experience. He certainly knew how to play to his strengths and harp on Hillary’s faults. He successfully diverted attention away from his own finances knew to embrace his politically incorrect past rather than hide from it. I think he was a guy with average intelligent who knew how to put on a show.

Anonymous

>thinks everyone who voted Trump is moron
                      t. still doesn’t get it

Anonymous

It’s interesting however that this dynamic is changing, the two most successful politicians of the last decade in Britain have been Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson, due to being able to create that image of being an Everyman, as this becomes more entrenched I think we could see a populist labour leader who didn’t go to oxbridge becoming prime minister

Anonymous

How many middle or working class PMs have you had? Like two?

Anonymous

Post war?
                  3 all labour

Anonymous

We are, but the Bushes are hated because W bonked up so badly and conservatives dropped him like a sack of hammers.

Anonymous

And part of the cucking is being both more of a woke scrote and a more ruthless accumulator of Muttmerican power

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Because the United States despite popular perception continues to have one of the most ruthless circulations of elites in existence. There’s essentially no barrier to entry, and a person’s name basically counts for fuck all. You can be thrown out of the upper echelon of society at the whim of the electorate, and your wealth generally counts for fuck all.

Also, networking is largely not an aristocratic phenomenon, people care much more about a person’s merit than they do their family. Largely because families count for fuck all either. Our longest political dynasties are a few generations at best before flaming out and being relegated to nothing.

We’re a nation of equals, and the perception of someone being "better" is non-existent for the most part, and anyone that acts as such is generally regarded with disdain by members of either political party.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

Anon you know I’m right.

Look at the utter hysteria that caused Trump to be elected like the Clintons were some 200-year-old Chinese political dynasty. Even the pure perception that there’s something calcifying into an aristocracy sends the populace into an autistic fit that elected Trump. We’re a nation obsessed with the notion of equal citizenship.

The Bush "dynasty" fizzled out with a freaking whimper with Jeb! and the only time you hear about a Kennedy is when they die in a car accident. America having arguably the most flexible elite in history is unironically one of our biggest strengths.

Anonymous

>Scion of billionaire hotel dynasty defeats the wife of a former president
              >"This just shows how Americans are autistically obsessed with notions of equality and meritocracy"
              lol

Anonymous

>dynasty
                >two generations
                Regardless, Trump was unironically what a lot of the Founding Fathers envisioned in a President: A wealthy landowner/businessman who set aside his affairs to lead the country, who was considered incorruptible because he already had everything he could ever want and therefore was not beholden to selfish interests. Trump used this idea as his whole marketing strategy, and it worked.

Anonymous

I thought it worked because the other candidate was literally under investigation for stealing classified material until the FBI announced she was essentially guilty but they wouldn’t prosecute her.

Anonymous

>America having arguably the most flexible elite in history is unironically one of our biggest strengths.

idk, they seem dangerously out of touch with the rest of the country right now, or at least Biden, Harris, Whitmer, Newsom, and the other Democrats are.

Honestly, your country is at severe risk of civil war and your leaders are only making it worse in virtually every way.

>balkanizing the population into camps that are becoming violently opposed to each other (Vax vs Anti-Vax, Alt-Right vs Antifa, BLM vs Whites, etc.)
              >driving the economy into the ground with COVID restrictions
              >potentially putting millions of Americans out of a job over vaccine mandates
              >pushing the country into bankruptcy with massive and unsustainable overspending
              >neutering the ability of the police to control mass civil disturbances while also ordering them to enforce mask and vax mandates at the same time
              >openly discussing using the US Military to fight a "Domestic War on Terror" against the "Far-Right" when it proved itself completely incapable of defeating the Taliban and suffered its most spectacular defeat in nearly 50 years not even a month ago

Anonymous

>your country is at severe risk of civil war and your leaders are only making it worse in virtually every way.
                That’s deliberate. And Biden Harris et al. aren’t the true elite. They are just high-level lackeys.

Anonymous

>>driving the economy into the ground with COVID restrictions
                There’s barely any covid restrictions left. Most states don’t even have mask mandates anymore

Anonymous

Yeah, but, no mean tweets anon!

Anonymous

>trump’s only flaw was scrotebrained tweets

Anonymous

>Let me tell you about your country

Anonymous

>the perception of someone being "better" is non-existent for the most part,
          I feel like there’s a deep truth in this and that it’s why Amerimutts take every opportunity to treat the defenceless like trash that they can. Because they themselves are only a year away from the same destitution.

Anonymous

The US’s size limits the influence of the Ivy League. In the West the most prestigious schools are Stanford, UCLA, USC, etc. The South has Duke and Vanderbilt. Networks that make schools prestigious have to be tight in order to function, but with most of Britain’s population in southern England Oxbridge’s network covers a comparatively higher share of population while still only servicing a small area.

Also Anglos are literally the cliqueist "people" on planet earth.

Anonymous

>In the West the most prestigious schools are Stanford, UCLA, USC
          USC is not prestigious. It’s got a decent medical school, though.

Anonymous

When it runs out of money
      So never

Anonymous

Though I’m not American and I didn’t study in US, I have worked with countless graduates of top US universities. Ivy-league universities are doing one thing wrong, they have ridiculous grade inflation and I think it will be their demise. They say it’s impossible to fail at Harvard, some Harvard graduates said it’s easier to get an A than F for a class. Average gpa at Harvard and Stanford is 3.6, do you see how crazy it is? Gentleman’s B is a real thing and it has very negative effect. Someone might have 3.6 gpa from Harvard or Stanford or Columbia, and it looks impressive. In reality though you don’t even know if he is a brilliant student or someone who barely attended classes. In stem (my area of expertise) Ivy league(except Princeton) and Stanford graduates are definitely below MIT, Caltech and top public universities like UCB, UCLA, UIUC or UMich. Stanford engineers in my experience are the worst, I’ve seen many guys from Stanford failing to solve basic problems. As a counter example everyone single engineer from UC Berkeley I met was pretty impressive. Princeton might stand out in this regard, because I heard they have grade deflation and couple math graduates from Princeton I’ve met were pretty good.

Anonymous

As a result, other elite private universities that don’t have grade inflation(MIT, Chicago) and large state schools are becoming more favorable for employers. Harvard or Stanford on resume might look very impressive for general public, but people who hire are much more sceptical.

Anonymous

It depends on the field. My engineering firm prefers graduates from schools with strong engineering programs like MIT or even Virginia Tech but my dad’s law firm almost exclusively hires Princeton Law grads. Ivy law degrees still hold a lot of weight. Ivy league undergrad degrees, not so much.

Anonymous

Law is one of those fields where the school 100% matters. Jones Day isn’t picking up graduates from meme state schools.

Anonymous

>UVA law places higher than Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Cornell and Georgetown
              Virginia putting pleb states to shame yet again

Anonymous

I talked to a dude who was a professor at their law school and he said the average law student there had like a 98th percentile LSAT score

Anonymous

UVA really is just the Southern Ivy League, right down to the weird secret societies and preppy douche bags

Anonymous

When you talk to the average law school prospect you realize 98th percentile isn’t that special at all in the grand scheme of things. If you’re decently intelligent you should be scoring 170+.
                  There are just so many scrotebrains applying to law schools because they don’t know what else to do and thus skews all the statistics concerning the education and profession

Anonymous

>If you’re decently intelligent you should be scoring 170+
                    t. never took the LSAT

Anonymous

>t. Has taken the lsat
                      I scored 173 my first try without studying. It’s literally:
                      >logical puzzles
                      >reading comprehension
                      It’s a crypto iq test. If you’re scoring low without studying you’re scrotebrained

Anonymous

>I scored 173

Anonymous

>I scored 173 my first try
                        Yet you’re still here, curious

Anonymous

you don’t have to lie here, this is a safe space

Anonymous

>He’s still seething

Anonymous

I took the practice test for fun and I don’t get the difficulty. As this

>t. Has taken the lsat
                      I scored 173 my first try without studying. It’s literally:
                      >logical puzzles
                      >reading comprehension
                      It’s a crypto iq test. If you’re scoring low without studying you’re scrotebrained

anon said it seems pretty straightforward and easy to complete if you are of a certain level of intelligence. Granted, the timing aspect of the real test matters much but it’s not something just a little practice would take care of

Anonymous

Uh huh

Anonymous

>I scored 173

KEK this coping scrotebrain. I’m sorry about your brain

Anonymous

>I’m sorry about your brain
                        We’re both shitposting on an Indonesian underwater basket weaving board, seems like we’re on equal footing except only one of us is samescroteging his lies about a school admittance test

Anonymous

>I scored 173 my first try
                        Yet you’re still here, curious

>t. sub 170

Anonymous

If you’re gonna samescrote then you should at least try to be inconspicuous about it

Anonymous

I took the LSAT without studying at all for it. I went out drinking the night before and kept drinking right up until I took the test. I also was running a fever of 103F. I finished the test 20 minutes early and got a perfect 180 on it. If you can’t do what I do, you are a moron who needs to be sterilized.

Anonymous

Cool larp my man

Anonymous

Virginia grads work for CEOs from Wisconsin and Michigan.

Anonymous

Why is Michigan such a powerhouse? By all accounts they’re a pretty standard state school

Anonymous

>tfw my school isn’t even on the list
                  Indiana University bros…………

Anonymous

There are three state schools in this list.
              And if you are in at least a top 40-50 school and graduate the top 5-10% of your class getting into big law is pretty normal

Anonymous

>my dad’s law firm almost exclusively hires Princeton Law grads
            Um, Princeton University does not have a law school, anon.

Anonymous

came here to post this. sis’s larping hard.

Anonymous

Please refrain from using the N slur

Anonymous

I was in a SCM program at WIU and the had weighted average for the specific program. The harder the course the more weight on the GPA but the easier courses barely moved the needle. I basically forced you to take harder and harder courses to keep the GPA up. I graduated with my Masters with a 3.8, but I had to take a math course almost every semester to do that. Most of my peers that got lower GPAs did not take as many courses.
        tl;dr fuck calculus

Anonymous

As long as it stays prestigious in the US, it will be prestigious in all the rest of the world. So I mean that it will never stop being prestigious, unless for some hypothetical reasons Americans start saying "Harvard bad"

Anonymous

or USA gets nuked

Anonymous

Sadly, that is an unrealistic expectation

Anonymous

I think another thing that will play against elite private universities is their ridiculous price. Elite private universities charge 50k-60k per year, while in state public colleges ask 10k-15k. They usually offer need woke af scholarship and don’t give out merit scholarships. So, top students from upper-mid class families don’t get help. I know several brilliant kids with perfect gpa and SAT turn down HYPS and attend UCs.

Anonymous

It already Is

Anonymous

it’s already "established" in the public psyche and zeitgeist. even though its full of scrotebrains, chinks, and feminists now it’ll forever be synonymous with greatness and prestige.

Anonymous

when some wag makes entrance blind lotto of the top 1% of test scoring asians (anything less would be racist)

Anonymous

It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

>Harvard is known for its prestige and exclusiveness
      >smartest kids pick Harvard as their college to show they made it to the most exclusive college
      >Harvard has the smartest kids each year and renews its reputation of excellence
      They’ve got an endowment in the billions of dollars, such that they can provide full scholarships to any interesting candidate they’d like on their campus.

Also Boston isn’t going away any time soon as the best student city in all the US. Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Tufts, Emerson for artsy lesbians.

Anonymous

it already has by anyone who isn’t a batshit crazy marxist, for me the discriminating against asians and whites thing for affirmative action purposes didn’t do it. Neither did them getting exposed for letting any dumb child of a celebrity in for the right price, what did it for me was when they released a statement saying that you need to be fully masked while outdoors UNLESS you are protesting for George Floyd, then you don’t have to wear a mask because your purpose is so nervous that even if you spread the disease to people, you are doing more good than bad, that was the final straw

Anonymous

noble* not nervous, and im not a rightist, but to throw basic scientific logic out the window to virtue signal like that shows they don’t deserve it, give the title to yale or oxford or someone

Anonymous

It already is to many of us here (on LULZ’s LULZ board). You might find that irrelevant, but I’ve seen all the trivia of my youth turn mainstream, so don’t underestimate yourself.

Anonymous

LULZ is being slowly infested with reddit-fugees. The biggest thing keeping normies away is the fact that we can call them scrotes and scrotes. If we ever lose that ability then this whole place turns into reddit 2.0

Anonymous

>t. 2016 refugee

Anonymous

I’m autistic enough to have been here since 2011

Anonymous

LULZ was never good. I will consneed that modding made it worse. As did separating out like 100 boards by topic areas. That probably appeals to the autism of people around here, but it also ruins creativity. We really just sneed more /b/s. LULZ was where people of all backgrounds came together to call each other scrotes.

Anonymous

When did this site ever not have boards?

Anonymous

It had boards. It didn’t have over 60 boards. In 2003, it had 10.

Anonymous

>The biggest thing keeping normies away is the fact that we can call them scrotes and scrotes.
          You can get away with that on LULZ, but don’t EVER use the word "garden gnome" or you’ll be banned.

Uh oh. Shit.

Anonymous

This is my rosa parks moment

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKE
            /< / /< ≢
            garden gnomel

Anonymous

This

Anonymous

When America has another civil war and the Ivy League schools all get burned down by their own Antifa students and professors to protest the evil Trump Nazi rebels who are on the other side of the state and weren’t even planning on attacking them.

Anonymous

freaking cringe

Anonymous

>freaking cringe

It’s all cringe now son. From BLM kneeling cops to Gypsy Nazi cosplayers. You can’t go to any populated part of this country without encountering cringe.

I unironically support the most violent forms of Accelerationism for the sole intent of seeing that this pathetic excuse of a society tears itself apart and its denizens are slaughtered in the millions. A few generations of bloodshed will weed out the vermin.

>inb4 you’ll die too

Don’t care, if sacrificing my life is what it will take to put an end to this freakshow, then so be it.

Anonymous

We’re still on this nonsense?
        Exhausted polcel newscrote cliche. Turn 16, get a job, read a book, and have sex you brainwashed imbecile

Anonymous

2017 called, it wants its loser back

Anonymous

>USC

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id