When did the middle ages begin?

Home Forums History When did the middle ages begin?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

is this roman, is it medieval? when does the middle ages begin? surely it’s somewhere between 170 AD and 600 AD. i would say 313 AD, with the edict of milan, but it is very debatable.

Anonymous

Medieval begins with muslim conquests

Anonymous

The Roman world after Diocletian was still that, the Roman world. The post Roman world was a completely different beast from what came before it. I would place the Middle ages to begin in the later 600’s after the Arab Conquests. The Barbarian kingdoms before that were so stepped in Roman culture and writing that there is real difficulty trying to separate time periods in writing style because of how Roman it really was. Only after the 600’s did much of the post Roman world really come into their own.

Anonymous

476. Thats whe dark ages aka middle age a begin in West Europe.

Anonymous

it’s more practical to work with term "late antiquity" as a transitional age, starting with Dominate, and ending with J*stinian and his closing of Platon academy, terminating the spirit of antiquity and starting the medieval period

Anonymous

Plato Academy wasn’t important. It was just a bunch of Neoplatonic scrotes who did mystical shit

> To begin with the Academy that was closed down in Athens as a consequence of this law could not trace its “history back in an unbroken line …. to Plato himself, almost a thousand years before” (p. xxvii) – it actually only dated back to the late fourth century AD, when it had been established by the neo-Platonist scholar Plutarch. The original Academy of Plato had ceased to exist centuries before.

Anonymous

it seems you are indeed correct. when you think the sprit of antiquity already died? Theodosius I?

Anonymous

[…]

>that argument
      Genuinely pathetic. Go back to your shithole containment board with the other culture war obsessed newscrote subhuman scrotebrains. History isn’t a vehicle for your contemporary delusions and echo chamber brainwashing

Anonymous

>when does the middle ages begin?
      It depends on where it applies (yes, unironically). Different cultures develop differently and at different times, and define eras or "stages" in their history differently. In Scandinavia, for example, the middles ages don’t start until around 1100.

Anonymous

With the life and deeds of Greatest Prophet Muhammad(PBUH). All history before Him can as well be burned and nothing of value will be lost.

Anonymous

25 July 306 : the dark ages began.

Anonymous

>you imply that the "mediterranean" ever was a cultural area. it never was and the romans made it clear: when they conquered the greeks they respected them as people of their own kin. when they conquered egypt they treated them like beasts regardless of the antiquity of their civilization. egypt, syria, continental anatolia were never seen as a cultural continuum with greece and italy. germanics were often assimilated in the empire, they became generals and often senators. it never happened with the egyptians
      Poltrash education and take on actual history.
      Please go back

Anonymous

476 is the normie beginning of the Middle Ages

Anonymous

Today historians assume a translation period between roughly 400 and 600 AD for the end of the greeco-roman ancient time and the beginning of medieval times, depending on the region. This covers all specific dates from 410 to 576.
      Muslim conquests play no part in this. Most muslims live in mediaval times even today.

Anonymous

>Muslim conquests play no part in this. Most muslims live in mediaval times even today.
        Poltrash kiddie still going with his nonsense

Anonymous

i am not him scrotebrain. it is just widespread knowledge that the beginning of the middle ages is not determined by the muslims conquest of spain. it is literally only you 2 who believe that (provided you are not samescroteging)

Anonymous

>is this roman?
      yes
      /thread

Anonymous

>it is very debatable
      It is very debated sure, but I wouldn’t say it’s debatable at all. Periodization is a matter of convention, and conventionally the middle ages start with the fall of the western roman empire in 476AD. There really is no point in arguing for anything else, if you need specific periodizations to support whatever theses you have make up your own, don’t just try to hijack the traditional ones.

Anonymous

for me the periodization is not just a convention. it is a change of general atmosphere (in germany we say Stimmung). the classical roman atmosphere is not the same as the medieval atmosphere. i wanted this to be the main topic of my thread, until a couple arabs ruined it.

Anonymous

>not just a convention. it is a change of general atmosphere
          And how does that make sense in your mind? From one day to the next this stimmung changes continent-wide because some chucklefuck does something politically relevant?
          I more or less get what you mean by stimmung, but still you must realize that this only could have happened gradually over a long period, and periodizations need discrete segments. The idea of stimmung doesn’t really fit the concept of periodization, not if you want to put it down to the year.
          And again, don’t hijack traditional periods. They don’t fit your aims, they wouldn’t even if the actual dates were up for debate.
          Because afterall classical Rome has a very different feel from archaic Rome or military anarchy Rome, and the romano-barbaric kingdoms have a very different feel from carolingian Europe which is completely different itself from early Renaissance Europe.
          You can’t really force stimmungs into conventional ages, they aren’t really related.

Anonymous

>And how does that make sense in your mind? From one day to the next this stimmung changes continent-wide because some chucklefuck does something politically relevant?
            no
            >I more or less get what you mean by stimmung, but still you must realize that this only could have happened gradually over a long period, and periodizations need discrete segments. The idea of stimmung doesn’t really fit the concept of periodization, not if you want to put it down to the year.
            of course it is gradual. also the passage from afternoon to evening is gradual. does it mean it is a convention? no. the question is : where to place this passage, which is necessarily subjective. for me today evening began at 19.00, for someone else at 18,30. this is also why it has nothing to do with "fitting my aims".
            and the different feel between classical rome is nowhere comparable to the different feel between , say, the 17th century and the 18th.

Anonymous

>between classical rome
              *between "classical" and "archaic" rome (as you call them)

Anonymous

Sorting human histories into ‘eras’ has always been problematic for this reason, there is almost never a definitive date where the world has officially changed enough for a new era.

Anonymous

Antiquity : Birth of Alexander to the Fall of Rome in 395
      The Dark Ages : 395 to the Birth of Charlemagne
      The Middle Ages : The Birth of Charlemagne to 1492

Anonymous

>Fall of Rome in 395
        sis wat
        also antiquity starting with alexander is really late

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.