What’s the most useful thing to do with a Raspberry Pi?

Home Forums Science & tech What’s the most useful thing to do with a Raspberry Pi?

• This topic has 90 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 55 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What’s the most useful thing to do with a Raspberry Pi? I’m thinking about buying one for me on Christmas but don’t know what to do with it.
      Proxy or VPN server?
      Host a website?
      Is it worth or there is other better alternatives?

Anonymous

I use mine to run pihole and tor

Anonymous

i use it as an HTPC
      microHDMI into TV
      run kodi pointed at your NAS/jellyfin/plex/whatever
      only issue is that youtube vids on the included chromium are kinda laggy
      but can be played very well with mpv + youtube-dl
      was even cheaper than a use miniPC of ebay
      and runs without issue with a fanless case for zero noise

Anonymous

>I’m thinking about buying one
      >don’t know what to do with it
      why the fuck would you buy something you don’t even know what to do with?
      KYS consoomer

Anonymous

cope harder poorscrote

Anonymous

>poorscrote
          even the poorest of scrotes can buy it since the rpi costs something like $10-100
          I can’t even remember how much I spent on the latest one _after_ I had a reason to get one

Anonymous

a pi4 with 8gb of ram with all the shit you need(sd card, power supply, etc) is around $110

Anonymous

doesn’t matter, it’s not expensive
              now kys consoomer

Anonymous

Most guys in LULZ already have at least one SD card laying around and old 5V/2A charger. 3A is recommended but 2A should be more than enough if you don’t plug in stuff to it. It could probably work with 1A chargers too, but i haven’t seen those in a while, decent phones these days come with 3A chargers.
              I only bought board and had everything else around (including heatsink and a fan) so it was way cheaper than anything else.

Anonymous

>bragging about being able to afford a Raspberry Pi, literally the cheapest PC
          ??

Anonymous

He has a point though, usually you plan something before commiting.

Anonymous

This

cope harder poorscrote

> t. consoomer

Anonymous

>no purchases made yet
        >calls others consoomers
        wtf dude, can’t you steal one of mommy’s xanaxs or something? chill out

Anonymous

t. coomer

Anonymous

pihole or a wireguard/openvpn server is probably the most useful.

Anonymous

Guys, what can be done about intergrated GPU when you have discrete card? Other than running second monitor and running Quicksync on intel hd. I learned that the GPU is basically about half of the crystal and therefore the cost of CPU, and now my inner garden gnome won’t let me peace until I use it for something.

Anonymous

a dedicated encoder if you decide you wanna stream. If you have intel, even better. Their video processors are superior to whatever crap AMD puts on their GPUs.

Anonymous

There’s little point, really. You can use it to hook up an extra monitor with dedicated processing offloaded from the main gpu, but unless your dedicated GPU is AMD or low-end NVIDIA without CUDA, there’s no reason to use quicksync over NVENC. The latter is just better.

Anonymous

>guys I really wanna buy this thing but I have no idea what I want with it
      Why are there so many freaking scrotebrains like this?

Anonymous

the power of marketing and propaganda.

Anonymous

I use 2, one for Retropie/Kodi and one as a music bot for discord. You could use one to acquire the WPA handshakes of your neighbors…. OR play a prank on someone and create a special visual and sound blasting scrote setup on someone’s desktop. I haven’t done the last 2 haha no

Anonymous

I just use mine to run servers without raping my power bill.

Anonymous

how much does it cost monthly?

Anonymous

OMG i tried running servers only to have my ISP throttle my upload speed from 50mb/s to 30mb/s because there freaking scrotes

Anonymous

>millibits per second
          Ouch, that’s pretty low.

Anonymous

>millibits per second
            i meant megabytes lol

Anonymous

>pedantic
            scrotebrain

Anonymous

a DO droplet costs $5.

Anonymous

I use mine as a comfy way to emulate games on the couch, with lakka. Would recommend.

Anonymous

Turn it into a mesh node by connecting it to a router and a proper antenna
      Put one instance of SearX and one of Pleroma

Anonymous

Got a Pi Zero to run PiHole and it’s been great.

Anonymous

PiHole or LibreELEC for old cartoons and tv shows

Anonymous

I’m using mine as a primary computer. Can perform all of the basic tasks that I need. Gaming is underdeveloped, but a lot of consoles can be emulated.

With sbc’s, software support is essential for functionality. The Pi foundation has done well with it. There are better options, but the Pi is a solid one. There are still some issues, last I checked.

Anonymous

interesting thread OP, as I’ve had one sitting in a box that another person gave to me earlier this year, that I’ve been sitting on as a "future project". Theirs was shoved into a 3D-printed NES case and has some micro SD card apparently superglued into the slot, so I feel like it’s somewhat hampered in what I’ll be able to do with it, but I’m appreciative of this thread anyway and hopefully I can make something of it (I don’t have any use for an emulation box for video games). A pihole sounds like a great opportunity, since some of my older devices cannot support adblock software (or I cannot find it anymore).

Do you struggle with multitasking? I have a GPD Pocket laptop which strains itself to multitask, such as running a youtube video and allowing text document editing, for example.

Anonymous

I have an rpi4 4gb ram. That’s faster than the first laptop that I bought back in 2012. Plus, I’m running from flash storage, not a hard drive. Optimization is still a work in progress, but it is very functional.

I almost always have a word processor and some chromium tabs open. Totally capable of launching gzdoom, devilution, stardew, d2, or fallout from there, with the only slowdowns being due vulkan drivers not being developed enough, or whatever the issue is.

Anonymous

there’s no point in buying one if you need to be told what to do with it, look up videos and they’ll give you some idea.

good for Pi that thier brand is a household name, but it hurts my stomach to think about the number of Pi’s sitting in a cabinet collecting dust because some normie bought it to be an uberhaxxor and dumped it because "not enough gijjaherts"

Anonymous

I automated my water filter so that it’s voice activated.

Anonymous

Small NAS with some external drives you have lying around
      Pihole + unbound for DNS blocking and privacy
      You can use it for interacting with stuff over serial remotely, just ssh into it
      If all of your media is direct play compatible with your viewing device (usually h264 with a 4.0 profile is widely compatible) you can use a pi 3 or 4 as a media server

Anonymous

Don’t use it as a nas unless you got the pi4. The older models have severe bandwidth caps on the io because all of the usb ports and the lan jack all share one usb2 bus

Anonymous

>Pihole + unbound for DNS blocking and privacy
          >have extra hard drives lying around? set up a NAS (pi4 is required for this see )
          >Wireguard VPN
          >Home media server
          >other shit i cant think of off the top of my head

Anonymous

CCTV with motion

Anonymous

Built a pihole with the objective to block ads but it doesn’t seem to work with YouTube on my ps3. I’ve found a couple scripts that kinda help but I’ve been running them for a couple of days now and I still see a lot of ads.
      Anyone have any ideas of what to do with that? Any help appreciated

Anonymous

no, it’s generally a problem in the pihole community that hasn’t been resolved in a while. At some point youtube introduced some pretty sneaky way or injecting ads

Anonymous

I use mine to drive a bunch of neopixels in my room, and control them through a little website on my home network. It’s comfy

Anonymous

SDR server

Anonymous

Flight Radar 24 ADS-B receiver

Anonymous

robot. a cool one.

Anonymous

pihole, reverse ssh tunnel for storage for a remote nextcloud server and a bitcoin node

Anonymous

asterisk server for your voip landline for filtering spam callers
      syncthing relay
      youtube-dl downloader of new videos of your favorite channels, to watch on your desktop after they’re synced via syncthing
      torrent-checker and self-downloader of new episodes, synced on your desktop via syncthing
      rss news filter (deleting all news about politics, vaccines, antivaxxers, celebrities, disasters on the other side of the world)
      music clock, a different short tune for every hour 6-24
      As a kodibox HTPC, a Vero 4K+ is better ans still debian-woke af

Anonymous

cringe binary-blob dogshit
      get an olinuxino instead

Anonymous

retrogaming and real basic windows stuff from raspbian, wish it could run some battlefield style game, then it’d be perfect. Linux is freaking awful on pi but it works for web video music, also the pi4 8gb model has audio problems, its like the wrong component for the 3.5 headphone jack

Anonymous

I have mine running dashy, pihole, and pialert

Anonymous

i host a trading bot on it

Anonymous

You’re wanting to buy a Pi for a problem you don’t yet have? No wonder people believe in global warming.

Anonymous

File server plugged into my Blu-ray player (as a usb mass storage device) so I can play files directly from the attached hard drive rather than a reencoded stream. On the other end it’s accessed directly from my main Windows box over lan so I can also download directly to it.

Anonymous

does this allow you to play entire bluray images with doblyvision/atmos/all the bells and whistles?

Anonymous

Depends on the player it’s plugged into. Mine doesn’t read disc images (I wish! but dunno if any player does that tbh), but direct remuxes into supported container are no problem.

Anonymous

did the predator draw these letters?

Anonymous

Ayy, writing is hard on a tiny screen

Anonymous

I use mine to run gitlab, pihole, and to run backups from my other server to an external dual HDD bay via rsync. The drives are setup in a RAID 1 configuration.
      >inb4 “RAID is not a backup”
      I backup to an external drive connected to a different machine.

Anonymous

if you own any bitcoin or are interested in bitcoin check this out.
      https://getumbrel.com/
      it has a lot of functionality of other common rpi stuff like pi-hole but you have to install it as ‘apps’. you have dedicate ~500GB of storage to bitcoin blockchain tho. so that is a bit of a drag 🙁

MadeYouLook

You can get one of the very affordable but still good 3D printers, then run OctoPi to control and monitor it remotely. I’ve seen some addons for taking timelapses, notifying you when the print’s done, etc. Pretty useful if you’re prototyping parts and don’t want to keep checking on the thing.

Anonymous

Octopi, everything else is a literal meme.

Anonymous

You can run a plex media server on it and manage all your movies, music, photos and stuff in one place. Hook it up to your router, and you can watch/listen to your content everywhere in the house.

Anonymous

Run a stratum 1 or 2 NTP server.

pool.ntp.org is always in need of more servers.

Anonymous

I got a Pi 400 last Christmas and have it as a little hobby box and secondary computer. Nice to have something to fuck around with linux on, and also see how well stuff does or doesn’t do on arm.
      I do wish it had volume keys(had to map keys for that in software), proper home/end keys, and an audio out port, but it’s not a bad chiclet keyboard otherwise.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I wonder that too, I got a few of them and never got past booting them up and trying to do Python. They are amazingly powerful though. Good for robotics, 3d printer controller, pirate seed box, Pi-hole web filter, media server,

Anonymous

[…]

You’re wanting to buy a Pi for a problem you don’t yet have? No wonder people believe in global warming.

the power of marketing and propaganda.

>guys I really wanna buy this thing but I have no idea what I want with it
      Why are there so many freaking scrotebrains like this?

>I’m thinking about buying one
      >don’t know what to do with it
      why the fuck would you buy something you don’t even know what to do with?
      KYS consoomer

What is your problem you coomers? Im pretty sure anon has heard about the cool things you can do with a pie but isnt technically skilled yet to figure them out himself. Look at all the good replies he got in this thread – stuff he might actually end up doing or atleast trying to do – and then look at your bitter replies. Go flok the keyboard and desktop threads.

Anonymous

bitcoin+LN+joinmarket node

Anonymous

What are currently the best alternatives to a rpi3?

Anonymous

Shove it up your ass

Anonymous

>Proxy or VPN server?
      >Host a website?
      >Is it worth or there is other better alternatives?
      Just use a normal low power PC.

Anonymous

you can make it into an evil twin, and get your neighbors wifi pass

Anonymous

Join this
      https://remocon.tv/5fa8b5d8f5101758e9559665
      documentation:
      https://remocon.neocities.org
      It’s an internet controlled paintball gun but you can make anything internet controlled using the API. Email the people on the site they will make it easy for you.

Anonymous

Don’t mind that the camera is pointing up for some reason, I think it was knocked over, it will be fixed soon.

Anonymous

You can use RTL-SDR receivers and the correct antennas and freaking make it into a flight radar that integrates with a valentine one radar detector or operates on its’ own and it will freaking alert you when a flight is overhead that matches the characteristics of police aircraft to avoid being caught speeding. Go to RDforum

Anonymous

I’m making a 8×16 audio matrix/dsp on rpi4. Surprisingly it is powerful enough to process 16 streams of 24/192 audio trough usb audio interfaces with couple dozen fir filters per channel.

Anonymous

Use it to learn programming.
      It comes with Python pre-installed so all you need is the text editor and some basic command line skills to start.
      Watch some beginner Python playlists on YouTube.

Anonymous

>It comes with Python pre-installed
        You mean I don’t even need to go through the trouble of installing it? Great! That means I can spend more time becoming a pythonista!

Anonymous

Wow… So, like, you can’t even think of something original to do with an rpi? Or not even original? Holy shit dude.

As far as better alternatives: Hah. Well that all depends WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

IMHO, BeagleBone’s are better for many things. They have copious GPIO, analog IO, etc… If you need to interface to lots of real world sensors and actuators, BBB may be the way to go.

On the other hand, the community for rpi’s is larger. More people use pi’s for hosting small sites, like your piholes or whatever.

And more people use BBB;s when they need lots of GPIO’s and much less of a focus on hosting consumer software.

There’s lot of other alternatives out there too. Again, it all depends WHAT YOU WANT TO DO with it.

Anonymous

>reddit spacing
        stopped reading

Anonymous

you mean LaTeX spacing

Anonymous

rasp pi is a development board
      it’s used to test embedded applications

Anonymous

>he wants it for Christmas
      >hasn’t ordered it yet
      >thinks he’s going to get it by Christmas
      the absolute state of OP

Anonymous

Save your money and get a used OptiPlex on ebay.

Anonymous

collect dust bunnies on the golden fingers

Anonymous

Host your own email server or website

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id