What’s something cool you learned today?

Home Forums Science & tech What’s something cool you learned today?

• This topic has 59 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous

Ground coffee can be stored in the freezer
      I don’t know why I would ever do that instead of just keeping it in my pantry, but there

Anonymous

You can but imo only "once". Freezing and thawing even a little bit will get moisture inside and muck things up. Thats the only issue, otherwise the freezer is a god damn time machine.

Anonymous

There might be asbestos in the insulation of old hot water tanks
      Check the date on type plate before removing

Anonymous

In bash, `type alias` gives the command corresponding to alias.

Anonymous

there is an animation module in angular for animations

Anonymous

that the earth is flat

Anonymous

Some mikmaq and that russians used to say ov instead of on (he) which I kinda doubt, because greek n is ν and russians writing system is related to the greek one.

Anonymous

Extremely thin layers of transition metals in circuitry are applied via interactions of gaseos organo-metalic complexes. Idk what species they use or what the fuck happens but it’s novel to see that phase utilized.

Anonymous

>organo-metalic

Anonymous

Vapour deposition is one way of generating thin films in materials science yes. The vapour sublimes onto a cool surface.

[…]

I didn’t get to do a whole lot of nmr but in the last 24 hrs I got to see satellite peaks in one of my spectra. The splitting of proton signals due to isotopes of 13C, the satellite peaks were indeed round about proportional to the abundance of 13C..

Anonymous

Sputtering is another, right?

Anonymous

It is hot today.

Anonymous

cold front here, nice.

Anonymous

The first idea of internet was a soviet project, designed by mathematician Victor Glushkov, called OGAS which got rejected by stalinists executives for being "anti-marxist"

How come though? Glushkov wanted just to reduce bureaucratic slowdowns and unite every computer into a big powerful one, isn’t that kind of Marxist?

Anonymous

What marxists promise is the opposite of what they actually want.

Anonymous

Watch "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" by Adam Curtis. All about the origins of cybernetics and its Soviet proponents.

Anonymous

I suggest Protocol by Alexander Galloway, he argues how the decentralization rhetoric applied to the internet obscures how it functionally centralizes and concentrates power rather than diffuse it. Stuff like centralized DNS servers that sit between you and raw IPs.

Anonymous

Smooth brain here. Learned what ‘Discrete Mathematics’ was, turns out it’s just a label for a bunch of things I already kinda knew like Set Theory, Graph Theory and Logic. But I did learn what Permutations and Combinations are.
      I’m sure if I followed this rabbit hole deep enough eventually I’d find how I can apply it to my time management, or what sequence I should do home renovation in or something practical like that.

Anonymous

>You can store cheese in the freezer.
      No freaking idea why I didn’t do this before

Anonymous

i finally worked out how to think about tensors over finite dimensional vectorspaces in simple terms from first principles. i get the coordinate free formulation too. while my understanding doesn’t extend to infinite dimensions, it’s still a good starting point for finding more general rules that are equivalent in the finite case.

also i have started to fuck with cuda in earnest. i’m needing to reverse engineer some PTX code and i’m well on my way at this point

also you can adjust launch fuel levels in KSP so you don’t have to build ridiculous shit to meet awkward contract requirements

Anonymous

learned what washi
      it’s a type of paper

Anonymous

Nothing. Some days are just like that. Maybe I’ll learn something tomorrow.

Anonymous

I learned how to use the AVR toolchain. No more ardu*no for me.

Anonymous

something about propagation delays in mosfet networks, i dont know i wasnt really paying attention honestly

Anonymous

they wouldn’t tell me anything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdk2vswOFUQ

Anonymous

something burst in my head i think
      also why is there a thing that says "tex" in the top right corner

Anonymous

thats the left corner and it’s for previewing [math]LaTeX[/math]

Anonymous

i see
          anyways i don’t want to die anons oh my freaking god oh shit oh jesus

Anonymous

Michael Jackson collaborated on the sonic 3 soundtrack

El Arcón
      Anonymous

The habitat of the California condor may have once extended further east.

Anonymous

I learned some stuff about languages and math. I just went over vector valued functions and stuff, making sure I have the dot product on lockdown,ya dig? We start multivariable functions on Thursday I think.

Anonymous

The faucet gets harder to turn when the water speed is high due to F = dp/dt.
      I’m very stupid.

Anonymous

the word Hybristophilia

Anonymous

Sensitivity Analysis – Linear Programming basics.

Anonymous

that working on software is easier and it usually gets done faster alone

Anonymous

Yes. Also go with as few dependencies as possible and when you need them, vet them for quality and perf.
        Realize that everything that’s not given by cpu architecture is a dependency.

Anonymous

Masturbated again.

Anonymous

I learned that the Kosovo conflict between Serbs and Albanians was basically set off by a Serbian peasant breaking a beer bottle in his anus while masturbating and blaming it on Albanians.

I hope you’re not trying to stir shit up, anon.

Anonymous

The japanese word for thermionic emission is 熱電子放出 (Netsudenshihoushutsu).

Anonymous

Im sub 90 IQ, and i feel depressed. Im freaking lost

Anonymous

People are really stupid, there is no reason to argue with them as they only respond to emotion, just smile and nod until they go away.

Anonymous

Confusion matrices and cluster analysis, also how to stop worrying about how my severe illness affects my social behavior because nobody cares anyway

Anonymous

fapping more than 6 times in one day will make you penis much bigger when flacid.

Anonymous

I had only one class in the morning, "molecule structure and activity". Or something like that. The names of subjects are kind of hard to translate. Class was mostly about reaction kinetics, and thermodinamic of ensimatic reactions. The prof also tought organic chem and everyone is scared of him cause hi is kind of strict and fails a lot of students, but in this small class for only those interested (7 people) he is actually really nice.

Anonymous

I learned a simple and basic way how a computer multiplies two binary numbers. Then I made this little simulation of it.

Anonymous

I learned the basics of the MiniZinc constraint modelling language.

Anonymous

Today I have come to the realization that the whole "going back to school" meme is a lie. Even though I graduated in the top 10 of my program 18 months ago, I still have no job prospects. No one wants someone in their thirties with a fresh degree and no relevant work history. Everyone else in the same program as me and who graduated at the same time as me or at the following commencement was a traditional student. All of them have since found a job relevant to their education. Even the people who got through on a C average. I have given up finding a job in my field 3 months ago and have been trying to get into the trades, and still getting passed over left and right.

>So for all of you still in highschool I have learned: Once a wagie always a wagie. DO NOT put off university, and DO NOT take any job that is not either A) an internship B)a co-op C)relevant to your field or D) at a company with whom you plan to seek employment after graduating.

Anonymous

That a vaccum has electrical impedance.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id