What will be the consequences for linux if this becomes a massive hit?

Home Forums Science & tech What will be the consequences for linux if this becomes a massive hit?

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What will be the consequences for linux if this becomes a massive hit?

Anonymous

we will all move to BSD and then eventually everything gets so popular we all move to ReactOS

Anonymous

Wrong. eventually everything gets written in rust. RedoxOS will be the final red pill

Anonymous

wrong. we all move to Berry Linux.

Anonymous

>we will move from linux to linux
            scrotebrain

Anonymous

/thread
        Keep my seat over at BSD warm for me bros

Anonymous

Wrong. The end goal will be Plan 9

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

stupid hipster cunt

Anonymous

i think you are woke af as fuck…
        I already learned how to install NetBSD on bare metal…
        (installing wasn’t a problem, learning how to mount partitions was freaking painful)
        So i’ll probably switch when the Steam Deck gets released

Anonymous

>ReactOS
        Does it have even compatibility of Windows 2000 with blackwingcat kernel? I wish my laptop was fully compatible with it. It won’t even boot ReactOS and Ethernet drivers exist, but after it loads them, Ethernet stops working until hard reboot.

Anonymous

consequences will never be the same if they backtrace it, the cyber police will be onto them if they done goofed.

Anonymous

It will be gay

Anonymous

who do you think codes for Linux?

Anonymous

>massive hit
      Looks like a cringe machine

Anonymous

It’s a gaming PC you can put in your pocket. But more importantly it’s not ARM dogshit.

Anonymous

PC gamers don’t care that much about portability tbh.

Anonymous

Because they literally don’t have that option. Closest thing are gayming laptops and those are generally successful market.
            If you could get a switch-like marchine with the power of a real desktop then many pc masterracers would get one for sure.

Anonymous

They do otherwise gaming laptops would not exist. Steam deck would just be the next part of the evolution of minimalism like mini-ITX.

Anonymous

this thing is literally more powerful than my current desktop. and i can hook it up to tv no problem. this thing will be success and then final nail in a coffin for desktop pcs

Anonymous

lmao no
              valve is just like Google. they made their big bucks on one thing and shit out countless scrotebrained millennial ideas that all fail or get forgotten

Anonymous

At least it’s not ARM/novidya dogshit.

Anonymous

>countless scrotebrained millennial ideas that all fail or get forgotten
                Steam machines were their only failure
                Steam controller has been incorporated into the deck
                Steam link is now software woke af
                HTC Vive was the best VR headset at the time
                Index is the best current VR headset
                So far demand for the steam deck has been far more than they were anticipating.
                They are working on another VR headset that can function with a PC and standalone, will likely replace the index as the most premium option.

Anonymous

>a bunch of shitty gimmicks for early adopters and cocksucking fanboys
                  In that case all of Google’s projects have been a success.

Anonymous

>will be success
              Quite possibly, yes
              >nail in a coffin for desktop pcs
              The projection is hilarious, just because you’re using some ancient piece of shit that’s slower than a 15W mobile APU doesn’t mean everyone else is as well.

Anonymous

>this thing is literally more powerful than my current desktop
              LOL your desktop is slower than a gtx 1060 a 5 year old lower midrange GPU. The steam deck games as well as it does due to the low resolution required by the small screen and will be underwhelming on full size screens.

Anonymous

>The steam deck games as well as it does due to the low resolution required by the small screen and will be underwhelming on full size screens.
                fsr

Anonymous

That’s why you want it x86 because you cant run games on ARM.

Anonymous

I am betting 20 dollars that if you were to do a survey right now the most popular console for PC gamers(with a console on the side) is the switch

Anonymous

…because it’s the only current-generation console who has a ton of good exclusives.

They wouldn’t care if BOTW and Smash were available on all platforms.

Anonymous

Sure but I think a big part of it is the fact that you can just play games on your bed comfortably.

Anonymous

Of course, as for myself I exclusively use my Switch in portable mode on my bed.

But PC gamers seem very keen on having the biggest screens, the most expensive parts, etc. Gaming laptops are not the preferred choice of PC gamers, even though laptops killed desktops in the general public a long time ago. That’s why I think a Switch-like gaming PC will remain a niche product: not a failure, but not something that will kill current gaming rigs.

Anonymous

Gaming laptops are scrotebrained for gamers because you can’t upgrade shit.

Anonymous

Gaming laptops are shit, literally a worse way to play games while sitting at a table anyway. A handheld is a different beast entirely, even with just a Switch you can stream PC games to it and you’ll get better image quality and 60FPS, which is honestly superior to native games running in handheld mode. A Deck should be fast enough to run a lot of games straight-up.

Anonymous

>it’s not ARM dogshit
          That’s the biggest problem though.

Anonymous

>the fact it can run games is the biggest problem

Anonymous

Why do you assume everyone just wants to play candy crush and farmville?

Anonymous

>It’s a gaming PC you can put in your pocket.
          What kind of gigantic pockets are you carrying around with you?

Anonymous

>t. scrote in yoga pants

Anonymous

>he thinks cargo shorts are /fa/

Anonymous

Linux could flooded by normies and gaymers. It might be bad but anything that kills ms is welcomed.

Anonymous

Well it’s not really a problem, since they mostly will take the most normies Linux versions. Ubuntu, mint, or some new normie friendly version. At one time, Big tech will release a Linux desktop OS.

Anonymous

I don’t get gaming on small screens
      But I’m happy for Linux and portable computers

Anonymous

sidescrollers seem like theyd be good on this. Cuphead and broforce. Maybe some emulated stuff.

Anonymous

You can connect them to a monitor. This device is particularly good for people who frequently travel and cannot carry both a display and a full desktop case. Now i only have to pack the monitor.

Anonymous

It’s going to be flooded with proprietary software and nonfreedoms because of steam or as I like to call it steam/drm.

Anonymous

Why do freetards hate good software?

Anonymous

cause it helps make linux mainstream, they’re just hipsters

Anonymous

none because for massive succes means normies are buying and they dont know and dont care about the details of the software as long as it werks
      android is basically a distro
      do you see that affecting linux in any way?

Anonymous

>android is basically a distro
        Only by the absolute loosest definition of a distro. It’s closer to a BSD-style fork.

Anonymous

Linux users will finally know the pain of having their OS be the gaymer’s choice.

Anonymous

Imagine being this much of a pussy.

Anonymous

Will it even be a massive hit? None of my normalscrote friends even know about it.

Anonymous

It’s probably going to have very limited production. I can’t imagine valve churning out more than 2 million units at the absolute most. It’s not going to be super popular, regardless of demand.

Anonymous

Unfortunately yeah. Well, who knows, it might not be at launch but maybe it’ll gradually get into mainstream. Especially if popular streamers use it.

Anonymous

They have already said that their manufacturing is maxxed out. They have more orders than they can fill, but they will fill whatever is humanly possible.

Anonymous

>GT 1030 GPU performance
      >Ryzen 1300X GPU performance
      It’s going to be a massive failure.

Anonymous

It’s rdna 2 you raging mongoloid

Anonymous

It’s still GT 1030 performance you raging mongoloid.

Anonymous

>vega 8 on a 3200G already on par with gt 1030
            >rdna 1 50% higher perf/watt than vega
            >rdna 2 50% higher perf/watt than rdna 1

Anonymous

Sad there was literally no ipc improvement between rdna1 and rdna2, only perf/watt improvements.

Anonymous

IPC is completely meaningless when RDNA2 clocks way higher.
                80 CU RDNA2 is 2.25GHz stock and goes to 2.7GHz if you can cool it.
                40 CU RDNA1 was 1.8GHz stock and 2.1GHz absolute peak when OCed
                They made changes to the uarch to make it clock higher, same way they did when going from GCN4 to Vega/GCN5.
                If higher clocks and better efficiency result in higher final peak perf and per/watt then it’s better than IPC increase.

Anonymous

>IPC is completely meaningless when….
                  No, if anything clocks are meaningless compared to IPC.

Anonymous

no

Anonymous

I keep thinking about China and how they keep saying they’ll move away from Microsoft and have no Windows spyware in their country by <insert date>.

If this helps Linux to the point CCP starts pushing Linux pcs for their normies, to the point where it becomes hueg there, then you won’t be able to ignore the Linux market the same way one can’t ignore the Chinese market.

All these gayming companies who bend over backwards to please Xi? Imagine Autodesk and Adobe if China went full Linux.

Anonymous

more likely microsoft makes them a custom windows filled with their own ccp spyware

Anonymous

They already do that now.

Anonymous

then why would china switch to linux?

Anonymous

They don’t want their computers dependent on proprietary software from overseas. Back in the 80s the US had a similar fear of TRON, a Japanese OS family that beat the shit out of Win16 on both performance and stability (admittedly not a high bar). The US threatened to block all imports of Japanese electronics if they preinstalled TRON on PCs.

Anonymous

then why would they allow autodesk an adobe to enter their linux market? if they can switch from windows why wouldnt they switch from autocad and premiere to a local made alternative?
                Yeah i know it’s not an os but still software like autodesk is heavily used in industrial design, risking trade and industrial secrets.
                china switching to linux means nothing to us.

Anonymous

I think China switching to Linux would make autodesk at least try to make it work on Linux to please them. If chinkCAD was the only alternative available for Linux, autodesk already lost, but if there was AutoCAD for Linux, then they’d still keep fighting for that hueg market.

Not all of China is the chinese government. If the gov moves away from Windows, their normies would still probably use it, but if Linux gayming grew enough that the gov could try to push Linux into the people, then their private people would know Linux fro home use and use it on their shops. This would take years, if not decades, but the year of Linux desktop would come eventually, if it played out like this, me thinks.

Anonymous

There is a difference between having all your government infrastructure depending on the redmond botnet and just having your CAD software depending on the San Jose crap. You could easily isolate all the machines running Adobe crap and even use it to develop your next stealth fighter or supersonic missiles if that shit runs without internet. The chinks aren’t dumb or naive, they know about all the NSA glowing hard and software. That’s why they also try to get their own CPU shit going.
                  Also westcucks are just scrotebrained if they believe china won’t pull the NSA move with ZTE.
                  > but muh, show me prove that china is spying!!!

Anonymous

People start writing more games for Linux and Valve puts some of the profits into improving the software stack in use on the deck: AMD CPU/GPU, Arch, KDE.

Anonymous

>47fps for freaking dota2
      Meme Deck.

Anonymous

>on the highest setting
        The most important aspect of this thing is going to be the RIS which is baked into at a hardware level on RDNA 2 unlike vega.

Anonymous

Highest settings for an 8 year old game.

Anonymous

With cyberpunked levels of utter dogshit levels of optimizations.

Anonymous

All games are poorly optimized now, so that will be the typical performance.

Anonymous

The game developers don’t seem to care much for PC gaming performance in general, which is sad.

Anonymous

I’m not sure if they could even if they wanted. 95% use some of the shelf engine and most likely lack the knowledge to optimize anything, the other 5% work in some corporate crunchtime hell hole and won’t get resources to do any optimization from the suits.

Anonymous

youd think people wouldve realized this by now but they keep clinging to doom eternal fps charts like theyre not the exception

Anonymous

>game that is under constant development
            >act like it’s still the exact same thing as it was at its initial release
            Why do scrotebrains always do this? Dota 2 isn’t even on the same engine as the Dota 2 from "8 years" ago anymore.

Anonymous

How would you even play a moba on a console?
        Dota 2 is complex af

Anonymous

Using the touchpads, though I certainly wouldn’t play anything competitive. DotA 2 has mods/custom user content, doesn’t it? Might be adequate for something like that if not the main game.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

touchpads + touchscreen

Anonymous

dota was always bonked

Anonymous

I see the game Control on the picture and I can’t imagine how a game like this must look on a freaking small display like this. If you have ever played Control you know what I mean, this game has really nice graphics. Portable shit will never be good for this except for jumping games like super mario.

Anonymous

I think LTT Linus (not god-emperor of Linux Linus) put it pretty well.

Until now, the install base for Linux has been mostly comprised of four groups of people.
      1. Enterprise server maintainers
      2. Users with no money, trying to get the most out of their hardware
      3. Freetards like us (who are generally opposed to paying for things)
      4. Academics who aren’t interested in gaming.

This makes for a horrible target audience for porting games. However, when you add in a new, much larger category:
      5. Millions of users who bought Steam Decks and are now looking to buy software (games) to play on it

… Suddenly it makes a lot more financial sense to develop and support software for Linux. There’s a chance that this (hopefully) creates a snowball effect, or at least a little bit of momentum.

Anonymous

>3. Freetards like us (who are generally opposed to paying for things)
        I am not opposed to paying for things. I just value my freedom

Anonymous

In practice, you oppose paying for software.

Anonymous

>Suddenly it makes a lot more financial sense to develop and support software for Linux
        Or just make sure it works on Proton and never have to make native Linux software at all.

Anonymous

>3.
        Is not about the money is about the message. Free as in Freedom not Beer.

Anonymous

Games are literally the only Linux software I have ever paid for.

Anonymous

>Millions of users who bought Steam Decks
        Valve can’t produce enough of Steam Decks to make it a viable product to target, especially now with silicon shortages.

Anonymous

vulcan support in every game.

Anonymous

Anti cheat malware. Probably more pros than cons

Anonymous

[…]

wine is dogshit and encourages the use of non-free software. Microsoft will soon figure out a way to outrun them for good and we can go back to Linux being a hobbyist OS where everything non-FOSS goes to /dev/null.

Valve is an evil mega-corp that terrorizes the gaming industry with their 30% cut, the invention of lootboxes, battlepass, and addictive f2p games. They see the Linux space as UGC(user-generated content),which means, free ownership over other people’s work that they love to take advantage of. Think csgo/tf2 hats, skins, maps, custom gamemodes, these are all things NOT made by valve(a company of only 300 yet makes trillions) but instead they claim ownership and charge 30-70% royalties — They are trying to do this to the Linux ecosystem.

Anonymous

You’re thinking of EA and Epic you scrote.

Anonymous

lol you just hate wine cause it makes linux more attractive to normal people and gamers. We did this three big times – once for wine, once for ndiswrapper, and once when steam came to ubuntu. linux isn’t your secret club

Anonymous

>Dunning-Kruger, the post

Anonymous

>Valve is an evil mega-corp that terrorizes the gaming industry with their 30% cut,
        This is basically the standard in most web stores and you out yourself as cringe caring about cut% politics.

Everything else you said about ugc mongering and about valve being hat, lootbox, and battlepass merchants at the same time are completely true though.

Anonymous

Valve’s games are addictive because they’re good. Reminder DotA 2 is literally a WCIII mod so you can’t try to slide the "hurrr designed from the ground up to be psychologically addictive and manipulative."

Anonymous

succulent bait

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/1oZBPaA.gif

Better support for games in Linux.
      If Valve doesn’t abandon it which they do.
      But otherwise not much else.

If it wasn’t for the Chinese ripping off the Switch with their GPD Win this wouldn’t of happened

We may very well be witnessing an rennasaince of hand held computing.

Anonymous

>it’s woke af on pure arch
      I refuse to believe there won’t be bricking incidents later down the road, valve isn’t known for being an OS dev, but known for being extremely freaking lazy.

Anonymous

>bricking a PC because the OS breaks
        That’s not how it works.

Anonymous

It doesn’t have to be the deck itself, just bricked os is enough, it’s a console, not a hobbyist linux pc.

Anonymous

It literally is a PC

Anonymous

scrotebrainbro, try to tell this to your consumer base if something goes wrong. Do you think the buyers will be like "haha it’s just a PC lmao. archscrotes btfo" if their system is somehow bonked after the update under the hood? No, there will be a massive scandal.

Anonymous

Valve can’t be so scrotebrained to just put arch on that thing without running their own repositories with full control over what gets updated when. They might even test the shit before they push updates, but with that I’m not so sure because we are talking about valve.

Anonymous

There was somebody on twitter or plebbit who emailed valve and they said that pacman and the arch repo will work just as you would expect. That was the moment when I started thinking shit WILL get bonked at some point because as you said it’s valve we’re talking about.

Anonymous

The average deck user isn’t going to do pacman -Syu
                    Most likely there are going to be updates distributed directly through steam for the average scrote

Anonymous

>scrotebrainbro, try to tell this to your consumer base if something goes wrong. Do you think the buyers will be like "haha it’s just a PC lmao. archscrotes btfo" if their system is somehow bonked after the update under the hood?
                Yes, because this is clown world.

Anonymous

Sony and Nintendo never bricked their consoles despite the fact that they’re not OS development companies either, I don’t see why Valve would. It also is not a console, it’s literally a PC so if it does happen it can be fixed quite easily.

Anonymous

The deck is already working it’s magic sisters, +0.03% and it isn’t even out yet!

Anonymous

The consequence is not being forced to use Windows just for games. Can’t finally get away from Microsofts annoying as fuck licensing and tightening of grip over my machine.

Anonymous

i’m considering getting one
      might be pretty comfy

Anonymous

More DRM in the kernel
      Less free drivers/firmware
      Free software movement is dead

Anonymous

Absolutely nothing, the Deck will do nothing to change the scene. The vast majority who are invested it don’t care for *nix and are running Windows on main driver.

Anonymous

>the scene

Anonymous

Nothing because it’s open source. if the only reason you use Linux is because nobody else uses it then you’re a freaking scrotebrain. Pure and simple as. You need medication.

Anonymous

Shut the fuck up you stupid freaking piece of shit

Anonymous

Hahahahaha no. Your little secret is about to hit mass market.

Anonymous

Normies will think Linux is crap when actually it’s Arch+KDE being shit

Anonymous

[…]

So much this. I’ve always said the problem with gnu Linux on the desktop is the users.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

It uses the networking stack from FreeBSD, there’s nothing BSD about the AMS kernel

Anonymous

I use Arch and I think we’re already feeling it. Gnome 41 isn’t in the repositories yet. It’s incredibly strange. Historically Arch has always just been bleeding edge. When I asked the Arch developers why, their response was "we’re waiting to see if it’s stable". I think valve is paying arch some money and they’re starting to grow up a bit.

Anonymous

That sounds unlikely, why would valve give a shit about footscrote crap when they jumped on the KDEchad train?

Anonymous

Exactly they’re paying them off and watch, arch is going to focus on kde. That’s fine. It’s just something I noticed. Historically within hours to a day we would have seen the upgrade already of a version release. I just hope it doesn’t turn into Debian…

Anonymous

Arch is Arch, they’re a vanilla distro that doesn’t prioritize specific DEs.
            They’re bleeding edge by freetard standards, which are very conservative. If they’re delaying GNOME 41 it’s because 41 is a mess and they want to avoid breakages. Same with how they didn’t bother packaging Ruby 3 early because half of the ecosystem was unprepared.

Anonymous

That could be it too but it’s such a minor revision. I don’t care it’s something I noticed. I’m switching to kde anyhow. Gnome 40 is freaking stupid.

Anonymous

>If they’re delaying GNOME 41 it’s because 41 is a mess and they want to avoid breakages.
              No, it’s because they’re lazy slow scrotes, opensuse rolling already got it and they’re more stable that arch will ever be.

Anonymous

I think Arch is shifting to a lower gear because of valve.

Anonymous

take meds

Anonymous

Gnome releases usually take a couple weeks unless its some small point release with no major changes.

Sounds more like you’re freaking scrotebrained than any valve conspiracy. Gnome 40 took about a month, 3.38 about 2weeks, and I forget past that.

Anonymous

That’s so weird though. I remember using gnome 3.32 and bam I was 3.34 within a day then 3.38 within a few days, it wasn’t 2 weeks of it’s release. Gnome 40 taking a month? What? It was 4 days…

Anonymous

I can’t wait for all the zoomers asking why their steam switch is stuck on a black screen that says something about xvids.org being broken

Anonymous

But it’ll be wayland all the way down.

Anonymous

>5. Millions of users who bought Steam Decks and are now looking to buy software (games) to play on it
      Just use proton or install Windows. There’s no reason to develop anything native to linux ever

Anonymous

Better proton support and I won’t need to have a windows install anymore. Neat.

As more people use linux(on products like the Steam Deck) just being pushed into a proton container won’t be enough. If the market tilts enough in the gaming sphere they’ll have to follow the trend.
        The current thing holding linux back is it’s a niche market in a niche market and fractured by too many linux distros.

Anonymous

Proton is already pretty great, it’s why something like the Deck is possible now. FSR makes it even more viable for old hardware than Windows. Unless you play a particular game that isn’t compatible, you can probably switch over now and be fine. I’ve used Linux exclusively for gaming for a couple years, granted I mostly play old games, but I’ve seen it grow a lot.

Anonymous

There will be a windows 95 era of viruses made for linux. Lintards will finally learn the folly of security by obscurity.

Anonymous

Adblockers and common sense always worked for me on Shitdows, why would I get infected on Linux?

Anonymous

>SELiux
        >file perms
        >clear separation of the root account from admin
        >Repo-centric pkg downloading
        Yeah, nice try scrote. Sure, some subhumans will get their computers infected either way but this is a huge improvement over the windows shitshow

captcha is nigger

SE Linux was literally made BY THE NSA! seriously anon that shit glows.

Anonymous

better drivers
      more bug fixes
      the number of CVEs wil skyrocket (that’s a good thing)
      better stability
      better softwares
      more entitled subhumans on linux-related forums

Anonymous

>What will be the consequences for linux if this becomes a massive hit?
      Linux will become a better platform.

Anonymous

better than it already is?

Anonymous

>better than it already is?
          Kek, linux good.

Anonymous

idk man, i started using Linux last year, and i think it’s pretty good… not excellent, but pretty good, which is not saying much compared to the dumpster fire Windows is since 10

Don’t like the UI, the init or the package manager?, you can change it, and i think that’s pretty nice

Anonymous

>Don’t like the UI, the init or the package manager?, you can change it, and i think that’s pretty nice
              That excuse is freaking scrotebrained, instead of making something that can work with multiple use cases, we limit it to a very specific use case and that only and ask you to use another software.
              The big issue with linux is that there is no good DE. There is no DE that looks good has enough settings so NO gnome or KDE, is getting good support (so no graphical issues that aren’t screen tairing), modular and stable.
              Only a bunch of DEs that focus on one thing.
              Gnome is the only DE that ticks a lot of the checkboxes, but we all know why we avoid Gnome.

Anonymous

>looks good
                >enough settings
                >modular
                >stable
                Looks like KDE Plasma is right up your alley my guy.

Anonymous

KDE looks like shit. It still looks like a rip off of windows, even though it came first.
                  When I mean enough i mean reasonable like windows.
                  KDE has too many settings and gnome has zero.
                  >modular
                  Hell No, you are talking out of your ass.
                  >Stable
                  It may be, but I’m not into burning my eyes.

Anonymous

>too many settings
                    no such thing
                    you don’t lose out on getting more control
                    you do lose out when you don’t get enough control

Anonymous

Gnome is trash, that’s one thing we can agree
                But saying that there aren’t any good DEs on Linux… sounds like bait to me

Anonymous

Supposedly more (and more efficient) ways to run Windows applications on Linux as well as have stuff just werk.
      I don’t think it’s going to usher the entirely hypothetical day where Linux becomes the common choice over Windows, but it would make it a choice that requires fewer compromises as far as vidya gaems are go.

Anonymous

for me, its the kde vista glass theme.

Anonymous

doesn’t look any close

Anonymous

Not bad, not great either… i could try it someday

Anonymous

>Krash DE
      That’s a big if.

Anonymous

It will become shit.

Anonymous

Absolutely nothing. People will be working around Linux to play their games, not actually learning to use it (because it sucks).

Anonymous

Nobody learns how to use cmd or powershell when they buy a Windows PC. Nobody learns any power user features when they buy a Macbook either. People want seamless functionality without hiccup.
        If Linux can provide that(doubtful) then its a viable contender for breaking Microsoft hegemony in the mainstream PC market.

Anonymous

Email lists and issue trackers flooded with scrotebrained questions.

Anonymous

That will be unfortunate

Anonymous

Youtube will be flooded with guides on how to install Windows on it anyways. Once normalscrotes even get a slight annoyance when things don’t work as they used to, you can bet they’re going back to windows.

Anonymous

no consequence, just more cpu/apu/gpu shortage.

Anonymous

Android is already used everywhere, what did that give us?

Anonymous

It might unironically become "good now" just by casual users telling fragile Linuxers "this is scrotetastic and gay, why cant I do this like windows?". Picture the millions who never saw linux trying to take linux seriously for the first time, itll either backfire or solve linux forever after years of "buh fuck you for trying to believe us about linux"

God its going to be great to watch Linux meet reality en-masse.

Anonymous

Picture if Tumblr was bundled with Madden 2022, thats what Im hoping for, you can play madden but tumblr will be there ready to be mocked if you chec.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>high
        This is a typo, isn’t it?

Anonymous

8 RDNA2 CU is way more powerful than a GT 1030

Anonymous

It’s operating on an anemic 15W TDP. The GT 1030, even a low profile model chugs more than 30 watts. Most of that 15W is going to the CPU cores.

Math doesn’t add up.

Anonymous

>It’s operating on an anemic 15W TDP.
              Literally doesn’t matter, shit eating scrotebrain scrote. Proof is in the pudding RDNA2 is like 75% more energy efficient than Vega, it has more fixed function hardware, and Van Gogh is a purpose designed low power SoC whereas other mainstream APUs are not.
              How long are you going to cope and seethe about being dead freaking wrong? Are you going to livestream your suicide?

Anonymous

Not him but there’s no way integrated graphics on a meager amount of power is getting 20-30 FPS on 720p high settings on cyberpunk when a full blown 3600 + GTX 1050ti is getting 30-40 FPS. That would basically put it near a GT 1050. Best case scenario is someone is freaking with us by hacking the deck and forcing 45W of juice somehow otherwise typo probably.

Still 20-30 FPS is berry nice on 720p low settings in cyberpunk, that’s like 20-30% better a GT 1030 which is still really impressive.

Anonymous

>but there’s no way integrated graphics on a meager amount of power is getting 20-30 FPS on 720p high settings on cyberpunk
                  Too bad so sad, but the numbers are the numbers. The 8 RDNA2 CU in Van Gogh are massively more powerful than a GT 1030. Be wrong all day every day. The world will keep spinning.

Anonymous

>near GT 1050 performance
                    >15 watts
                    I mean yeah vega to van gogh is a pretty big jump but it’s not going to give you that at 15 watts, steam deck hacked to 45W TDP is my best guess. Which to be honest is really freaking cool since it means you actually get a super portable laptop AND can configure it to desktop level performance. Might be some kind of BIOS loophole they’re going to patch so people don’t blow the little devil computer up.

Anonymous

You can make all the scrotebrain guesses you want. You’re still wrong. Why don’t you use a trip, post your facebook, home address, and SSN so you can really own your asspulled nonsense.
                      We’ve had comparable numbers since the first hands on videos were released. Van Gogh is literally more powerful than an overclocked desktop 3400G. A chink dev with a dev kit posted numbers and info to corroborate everything, and they’re dead accurate.

Imagine being such an insecure low IQ dumb scrote that you doubt technological progress because it makes your entry level poorscrote 3rd world GPU from half a decade ago look bad. Literally die, scrotebrain.

Anonymous

>chink dev
                        Not a lot of credibility there. I’m not even saying it’s impossible, just not at 15W TDP which for a 40Wh battery would only result in 2 hours of gameplay since 5 more watts would go to the screen/motherboard/SSD/heatsink fan. The dev board board thing clearly gives it away since you can hook up a larger battery and beefier heatsink.

We never got comfirmation they were running on battery power and that the TDP was set to 15W in the bios. Don’t be so heavily optimistic anon, you sound like the scrotebrains who kept comparing the PS5 to an RTX 2080ti months before it came out.

Anonymous

No YOU sound like the literal shit eating cretins who thought the PS5/Xboner XXX needed 400w to deliver the performance targets the stated. Guess what? They don’t. Stay wrong. The world doesn’t need scrotebrains.

Anonymous

We were right, it’s not a RTX 2080ti level performance PC for $500, it’s actually a GTX 1060-1070 level performance PC which imho is pretty disappointing, even I didn’t imagine it was going to be THAT bad.

Anonymous

>p-p-performance in a port wasn’t good!
                        >that means I was right about being wrong about power consumption
                        Why do you underage black skinned scrotebrain LULZ posters pollute LULZ? Just stay in your shit hole.

Anonymous

GT1030 is Pascal, a 5 year old architecture at this point. Modern designs and modern fabrication processes are much more efficient.

Since this thing isn’t going to have a pozzed raging intel inferno of a CPU are you going to be able to use say a GTX 1660ti eGPU and not get bottlenecked?

It doesn’t have Thunderbolt so you’re not going to use any eGPU at all.

Doesn’t eGPU work on 10Gbps USB type-C? I know RTX 3090 would get bottlenecked by 10Gbps but what about GTX 1660ti?a4arr

No, graphics cards run over PCIe. Thunderbolt provides a link to the PCIe bus, USB is just USB, a PCIe graphics card won’t run over USB.

Anonymous

Linux will be forced to actually be good and the contrarians will move to BSD or something even worse. Watching lunix crybabies seethe when the OS is made good will be hilarious.

Anonymous

Linux is already good.

Anonymous

Lol

Anonymous

Woke af pretend reality post

Anonymous

None. Most people who buy one will never interact with anything other than the Steam UI. They won’t know or care that it’s running Linux, just as they didn’t know or care that the PS4’s OS was woke af on FreeBSD. Did that ever result in a massive uptick of normies installing FreeBSD? Of course not.

Anonymous

Since this thing isn’t going to have a pozzed raging intel inferno of a CPU are you going to be able to use say a GTX 1660ti eGPU and not get bottlenecked?

Anonymous

None.

Anonymous

Valve will make a ton more money.

Anonymous

>purpose built distro of linux performs a specific purpose well
      That’s been happening for about 15 years. Linux has been thriving for over a decade. Linux daily drivers will never thrive.

Anonymous

Linux might finally become useful

Anonymous

Valve will just add some good code to Qt/KDE as well as the Linux kernel, and they might be able to make Nvidia stop being scrotebrained about Wayland
      Outside of that – nothing major. Normies still won’t use Linux. Sony’s Playstation uses BSD its not like that attracted a ton of BSD desktop users..

Anonymous

Hopefully it inspires them to fix the EAC/BattleEye bullshit so I can finally stop dual-booting and use Linux to gaym.

Anonymous

They already got EAC compatibility, it’s just up to developers to implement it now.

Anonymous

Linux might be a viable alternative to Windows for gaming.

I hate Microsoft and Windows. If I can play games on Linux, I might become more of a PC gamer.

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id