Where are you from and what did you learn in history class?

Home Forums History Where are you from and what did you learn in history class?

• This topic has 27 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Me:

>Australia
      I learned the usual ancient greece stuff and ww1,2. And the american civil war,
      >mfw I had to memorise every state in america and where it was

Anonymous

>>mfw I had to memorise every state in america and where it was
      sis what

Anonymous

I learnt where every state was on the map i had to fill in a blank map. My teacher was thorough

Anonymous

yeah but why

Anonymous

I’m not sure

Anonymous

I’m American and I had to do that for every country on the planet. Though I only remember the relevant ones and a few oddballs at this point.

Anonymous

American as well. Same, except I also had to memorize every city and street name be able to fill them in on grids of 11 x 8.5 paper. My teacher was a bit overzealous.

Anonymous

American here. You think you had it bad? We had to draw the blueprints of every single building in the world all on a piece of tissue paper. Ask me about your house. I know it inside and out.

Anonymous

American here. Pretty tame compared to us, we had to memorize every address on earth, who lives there, a bit of their background, AND their phone number. Exam was to call each person and pretend I am a relative asking for support after an accident, or roleplay as a bank employee and ask for their card details.

Anonymous

American here. All we got was gay rape.

Anonymous

holocaust, holocaust, martin luther king, columbus, holocaust, 9/11, holocaust

Anonymous

Did you not have to learn about the history of your own state? We spent quite a lot of time learning about how the white man colonized various parts of the land. Can’t imagine it would be taught the same today.

Anonymous

In Greece, they teach you a general history of antiquity starting from Sumer, then they focus on the Cycladians, the Minoans and the Mycenae, the Dark age and the Homeric era are touched on too
      Then they go over the city states, the persian wars, the Macedonian empire and the successor states
      There’s a blank of a few hundred years and we end up with Constantine and the Byzantines, another blank of 400 years after the fall and we end up talking about the revolution, the modern state,WW1, the Minor Asian refugee crisis and such. Covid made sure my high school never reached WW2 or the holocaust. Now as an uni student I wonder what the effects of that empty year will be like

Anonymous

>Now as an uni student I wonder what the effects of that empty year will be like
        It won’t affect you at all, assuming you’re studying humanities or social sciences. The courses are designed to have zero expectation of prior knowledge in the subject, especially for freshmen. Just do the assigned weekly readings and you’ll know everything you’re supposed to know.

Anonymous

What are you taught about the Byzantines?

Anonymous

We are taught about the military doings, the significant emperors, the various renaissances and dark ages in these thousand years etc…But yeah, we do embrace that identity as well, just like Putin plays both the Empire and the Union to make the federation

Anonymous

>US History
      >State specific history
      >Euro history, in particular Greeks, Romans, medieval Europe, renaissance and middle east
      >Dabble in Eastern history and philosophy
      >Briefly touch on other world cultures but not much
      >Later years of High School do things like civics and more politics focused classes

Class of ’15, but dropped out Junior year so don’t know firsthand what the latter years entail. I’d imagine it’s much more chud and civil right oriented now. Most people only paid enough attention to pass then completely brain-dumped it all after the year was over.

Anonymous

I moved around a lot. Massachusetts grades 1-2, Texas 3-7, UK 8-12 ("3-upper6"). But for UK only 8-10 / 3-5 counts if you only go to GCSE as I did.

>Massachusetts: RAH RAH WE’RE THE GOOD GUYS ALL THE TIME AND WE WIN ALL THE TIME (except maybe Vietnam but at least we beat the Republicans, and JFK was a god)
      >Texas: ‘ate Spics, ‘ate Messicans, ‘ate Comanches, ‘ate Yankees, simple as. Woke af Texan history up to Sam Houston, compulsory in 7th grade.
      >UK: GCSE was a confused mess of 19th-early-20th history, coupled with Roman Britain for classical civilisation (with an ‘s’). I got no freaking clue about, say, the Roses or the English Civil War. I learnt 19th century British Imperial history from, literally, Harry Flashman.

Overall I’ll say Texas did best at teaching history.

Anonymous

Australian here too, we didn’t learn about ancient greece or the american civil war but will still learnt stuff about the civil rights movement, slavery etc. I think teaching about America should be banned honestly.

Anonymous

how much do you learn about being btfo at Gallipoli?

Anonymous

>France
      >medieval France (from Clovis to Saint Louis), Nazi Germany in primary school
      >ancient Egypt and Greece, medieval Western Europe, Western slave trade, French revolution, Napoléon, WW1, the Popular Front, Nazi Germany, the USSR, WW2, the Holocaust in middle school
      >medieval Mediterranean, French Absolutism, the French colonial empire, Nazi Germany, the USSR, WW2, the Holocaust in high school
      >ancient Greece, the Merovingians, French absolutism, 19th century France in preparatory class
      >classical Greece, Rome, Western monasticism, medieval Islam, medieval Central Europe, popular uprisings in France from the 16th to the 19th centuries, technologies in Western Europe from the 16th to the 19th centuries, the French revolution, politics in 19th century France in college
      I think I may be forgetting one thing or two

Anonymous

Australia
      I learnt about early colonisation in Australia, aboriginal experiences, convicts, gold mining, immigration, eureka blockade, ned kelly, federation, some parts about ww1 especially the gallipoli campaign and then that’s basically all I remember
      Studied history from grade 7 to 9 iirc am 27 so idk what year those were
      Don’t remember anything about ancient greece, america or the american civil war, I don’t remember getting taught much about war at all but then again I only did the mandatory history classes, I never studied history as an elective and I did all STEM classes for my VCE so maybe they went into depth with those things?
      I would have thought it’d be the french revolution though

Anonymous

Did 20th century history for year 11 VCE and the French and Russian revolution for year 12 VCE

Anonymous

In Brazil it really depends on the quality of the school. I never went to high school and I don’t remember much from my primary schools cuz I hated them all (and I have quite a defective memory). I recall a fat professor talking about the socio-political structure of Rome in my 5th year in a public school and an intern professor ending the classes that year with the beginning of the Middle Ages. From the 6th year on I was in a private school which I remember more. That year I saw feudalism, Islam, mercantilism, early colonization of Brazil, Tudor England and the revolutions, the Enlightenment and the French Revolution. From the 7th year on it was basically dumbed down contemporary history and my last professor was a militant communist. A shitty education, it was.

Anonymous

California

Grade school was just

> pueblo
      > civil rights movement
      > field trip to pueblo
      > craft miniature pueblo

Middle school was about ancient civilizations, medieval Europe (and by that I mean we learned about Charlemagne and the 100 years’ war). After that it was just about any American history before 1865.

High school was mainly about Eurocentric history from 1066 up to the Cold War.

Anonymous

>Sweden
      >There was a lot of ice here and then the stone age and then the Vikings, a very poetic people with lots of mythology and sitting around doing arts was what pretty much all they did
      >Then Christianity came
      >Then Denmark became evil because Danes are inherently the 2nd most evil people in the world
      >Then Luther came and freed everyone by allowing everyone to become Christian because, before him, Christianity was hidden from people by only allowing corrupt people to learn it aka Catholics, the 1nd most evil people in the world
      >Then Sweden won some wars defending Lutherans from Chatolics
      >Then WW2 happen and we helped the good guys (Norway, Finland) without entering the war

Anonymous

>Then WW2 happen and we helped the good guys
        LOL wut?

Anonymous

Australian here, just graduated this week.

Primary school was mostly just colonial history. Y’know first fleet and all that jazz.

>Year 7:
      Cavemen
      Black Death
      Ancient China
      Polynesia

>Year 8 & 9:
      Slave Trade
      Industrial Revolution (and its consequences)
      World War 1
      Ancient Egypt

>Year 10 (I chose Modern History)
      World War 2
      Environmental Movement
      Civil Rights Movement
      Western Imperialism in Africa and China
      Genocide

>Year 11 (I chose Modern and Ancient)
      The Frontier Wars
      Burial Practices
      The French Revolution
      Apartheid
      Feudal Japan and Ancient Greece
      Feminism
      Cleopatra

>Year 12 (Modern and Ancient still)
      Nazism
      Athens
      The Cold War (specifically Vietnam and the Bay of Pigs)
      The Crusades
      Mongol Empire

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.