What degree are you taking at university?

Home Forums General & off-topic What degree are you taking at university?

Viewing 60 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What degree are you taking at university?

Anonymous

Fahrenheit

Anonymous

Anonymous

Universities are nothing more than globohomo brainwashing

Anonymous

your face is globohomo brainwashing

Anonymous

Yeah, I’m sure learning calculus makes you gay, scrotebrain.

Anonymous

It actually does.

Anonymous

Expand.

Anonymous

after I finished all my calculus courses I had a non stop thirst for giant cock

Anonymous

Can confirm, i have a math phd and I’m non stop riding a cock carousel

Anonymous

well on some subjects the state has legitimate interest to decide if you are not completely scrotebrained like in medicine or law. Other than that a degree from Uni is only a career goal/intro for job market so you have a point I guess

Anonymous

It’s Bachelor in Statistics degree, I mostly study mathematics, CS and physics.

Anonymous

At the end there is an option to choose one from among the three specializations: Probability, Theoretical Statistics and Applied Statistics.

The Applied Statistics specialization consists of four different tracks : Biostatistics, Computational statistics, Finance and Acturial statistics.

Anonymous

What the fuck is probability? Like the mathematically rigorous Probability Theory? Seems strange it has its own specialization

Anonymous

Yeah it’s about probability theory.

Anonymous

>the absolute state of /poo/

Anonymous

>Study Logistics
      >Become violently open borders

Anonymous

America has always been open borders, through out its history, the only break was 1924~1965, infact US was such a staunch open borders supporter that it used to violently enforce open borders on foreign countries, for example:- Japan

Anonymous

Musicology
      Kill me now

Anonymous

Wtf even is musicology? This is the first time i have heard about it, is it about music theory?

Anonymous

It’s basically daycare
          >some of it is playing music
          >some of it is learning about the most basic child-level music theory possible
          >the rest is vaguely related useless bullshit
          This is my 3rd year, where do I go from here

Anonymous

stripper

Anonymous

I have zero muscle mass and prominent sinews from playing guitar and posting on LULZ all day
              I’m not even that good at either

Anonymous

>I have zero muscle mass
                we can help you

[…]

Anonymous

People will tell you that "useless degrees" exist but as long as you’re resourceful they absolutely aren’t. You can get jobs easier than the average person, perhaps start at higher levels than others like being a manager at a store just from merit, or if you get good grades you can go to grad school and become a teacher or a librarian or something.
            If you manage to get a job in music then great for you that’s what you should strive for but please don’t get convinced that you’re a fuck up if you struggle.

Anonymous

Biochemistry
      It’s mostly just Chemistry so far

Anonymous

Math & Cs kinda stressful but am doing fine

Anonymous

Same here but I’m having a hard time with linear algebra. Any tips?

Anonymous

maths and physics i like it but kinda much

Anonymous

Have a polsci major, regretted the decision, going back for engineering degree next year. Either mech or ee

Anonymous

Do not study mech.You will regret that too.

Anonymous

Hairdressing.

Anonymous

just graduated undergrad with a bio degree. Am I doomed for a career as a lab technician unless I feel like pursuing a masters? I would like a job that’s more ‘outdoorsey’ instead of sitting under fluorescent lights all day, maybe something involving conservation or wildlife.

Anonymous

I was doing this but then switched to computer science because it seemed easier to get a job. I was right but now I want to die.

Anonymous

Biotechnology

Anonymous

Mech Engineering but I might switch to electrical

Anonymous

Why are you planning on switching?

Anonymous

Theres a few reasons, but most of all electrical engineering is more closely related to CS and Ive taken an interest recently in programming and while I could never be a codemonkey like my father, I cant deny its a great tool if you want to invent and work independantly on something.

Anonymous

Studied Mech and realized this too late to change.

Anonymous

>mech monkey thinks he can just "switch" to electrical
        kek.
        I look forward to hearing your stories about dropping out.
        Leave electricity to the big boys, okay buddy?

Anonymous

Applied and Computational mathematics.
      I am a military transfer student, was an ELT on a sub. Also really nervous, because people on LULZ tell me I wont ammount to anything if my undergrad doesn’t have topology, analysis, and measure theory. I just want a decent well paying job out of college. I’ve looked around on USA jobs and there are plenty of mathematican titled jobs in the government sector in the vicinity. Really banking on my military experience with a degree on top to get me a decent living. Have I not done enough?

Anonymous

>topology
        lol. you want to study balls

Anonymous

aerospace engineering with a minor in physics

is it worth it to go double major and graduate with a bs in physics as well? unsure if it’s worth the extra classes and money (I really like physics tho)

Anonymous

I’m not a fan of double majors, as there are other far more productive ways to use your free time. If you really like physics and would like to double major, go for it. But don’t do it at the expense of activities directly associated with your actual career (as in networking, getting to grad school, getting internships and so on)

Anonymous

Marine Engineering

Anonymous

woke af

Anonymous

I did CS
      If I could go back I’d do Biology

Anonymous

Grass is greener anon

t. biochem phd

Anonymous

Math major CS minor, my uni requires taking a minor in undergrad otherwise I would’ve gone full math.

Anonymous

mechanical engineering since im extremely racist

Anonymous

music performance maybe CS
      Gotta do something that at least makes some amount of money

Anonymous

>be me
      >26 years old
      >move to USA
      >I didn’t finish my math degree in my native country
      >want to take a degree in the USA
      what to do LULZ?

>inb4 kys
      no pls

Anonymous

kys

Anonymous

Where are you from anon and how did you move there?

>t. Bsc. in Industrial Chemistry

Anonymous

This may be off topic, but do any anons have experience transferring universities?

I am a leaf going in my second year of biomedical engineering (not at Western) and I would like to switch into a different field of engineering at UWO (Western). I would prefer to transfer into first year.

>inb4 email admissions

I already emailed admissions

Anonymous

Whats you expirience with biomedical engineering? I was very interested in that field before. How hard/ what do you learn/ etc

Anonymous

I recently started second year so I can’t say I have too much experience. IMO it can be somewhat harder than traditional engineering fields since you learn the same physics and math that other engineers do but you also have to learn a good bit of chem and bio.

I wouldn’t recommend it since it’s a really niche field. You’d probably have to get a masters or a PhD to find relevant work. Furthermore, you’d be competing with chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineers for biomedical engineering jobs.

I would recommend getting a more traditional eng degree.

I’m biased though since I’m trying to switch fields.

Anonymous

im doing chemE with an emphasis in biomedical. seems like what you should do as well

Anonymous

I’m actually more interested with electrical and mechanical engineering. Hence why I’m trying to transfer.

Anonymous

*IN electrical and mechanical*

Anonymous

well you should switch asap, i feel like chemE is exceptionally different compared to other disciplines of engineering, like electrical and mechanical. every time i see someone share their hw/learning topics/classes from their degrees on social media, it looks like middle school level work to me. at least compared to what we do in chemE

Anonymous

I’m trying to transfer however my situation is complicated. I hope I can transfer this year. If you want, I can explain my situation to you and if you have any advice I’d gladly hear it.

Anonymous

ill read it and maybe decide if i have something to say. but you have to decide if its something you actually want to hear. i could be lying to you. i wouldn’t do that but…

Anonymous

Ok,

Essentially I want to transfer into first year engineering at UWO. Why first year? It’s less competitive to get into

My high school stats are good. 95 average alongside several academic awards and extracurriculars.

My first year stats are bad. 70 average and dropped some courses. However, I had some issues at home that year due to one of my parents becoming disabled so maybe if I include this on an extenuating circumstances form admissions will have some leniency.

My second year stats are looking good. My average is improving and I think it’s realistic for me to end the year in the 80s.

I’m trying to transfer with stats like these so that’s why it’s complicated.

Anonymous

i dont really understand what you mean by average 95 and average 70. are you not in US? i don’t have any advice if you arent, i think you mean like you’re average grade for all your classes was 70 but that’s a pretty dumb way to do it if you ask me.

Anonymous

I’m from Canada. I decided to write my GPA as a percentage because, at least here in Canada, different universities use different GPA scales.

Anonymous

So yes, like you said, my overall average in high school was a 95% and my overall average in university was a 70% in first year

Anonymous

i dont know, id say its worth it to do what you think you’ll be the most interested in. its not like i love chemical engineering and cant wait to freaking work in some process plant. its just better than the others.

i always said it to myself as "pick the best of the worst" when it comes to college.
                        gotta be a chemE so i can make enough money and have enough free time so i can do the things in life i actually want to do

Anonymous

I agree. That’s why I’m so committed to transferring. If I don’t succeed this year I will try again next year. However I’m still trying to figure out the best strategy for transferring given my current situation.

Anonymous

UWO is university of western Ontario btw

Anonymous

I transferred from a community college so my experiences will be a little different, but I don’t think its worth the hassle unless its very important to be somewhere else or if your current school is turbo shit. I know some people who moved universities and many of them complained about the process, some had to stay an extra year due to credits not transferring or class sequences being different, ect.

People will tell you that "useless degrees" exist but as long as you’re resourceful they absolutely aren’t. You can get jobs easier than the average person, perhaps start at higher levels than others like being a manager at a store just from merit, or if you get good grades you can go to grad school and become a teacher or a librarian or something.
        If you manage to get a job in music then great for you that’s what you should strive for but please don’t get convinced that you’re a fuck up if you struggle.

People who use the words "useless degree" are 9/10 times unironic npc scrotebrains with zero understanding of the complexity and diversity of modern civilization as well as being a brainwashed buffoon unable to think beyond the parameters of a shallow conception of life

Anonymous

It’s very important for me to transfer primarily because of my desire to switch engineering fields but also due to a few other reasons. I don’t mind spending extra time in school.

The main problem for me is that my situation is unusual. Thus, I’m trying to figure out the best strategy for transferring into first year at UWO (Western).

I had a 95 in high school. Won several academic awards

I did poorly in 1st year. Got a 70 and dropped a few courses. However I was distracted from school at the time due to a parent becoming disabled. I was told I can put this on an extenuating circumstances form.

I’m doing better in 2nd year. I think I can significantly boost my average.

Anonymous

What country are you from? Just apply to a western school as if you are a graduating high school student. They can’t access your college records outside their borders. Even within borders I know some people who just moved states and acted like they never went to university after failing out their first year

Anonymous

No no you misunderstand. I’m a leaf. We have an actual university here called Western (University of Western Ontario).

Anonymous

lmfao, sorry my mistake leafbro
                Good luck

Anonymous

Thanks, I’ll certainly need it.

Anonymous

[…]

Thanks fren, i will look into it

Anonymous

Going for MS Pure Math. I applied to a few PhD programs and got accepted into a few good ones, but decided to go for a MS first to get more research. Unfortunately, COVID completely bonked that up. Should have just gone into a PhD program.

Anonymous

Manufacturing Engineering

Anonymous

I majored in history and economics, one class missing to get a minor in math. Applying to law schools and phd programs for economic history right now. Will have until may-june to decide what I want to do with the schools I get into. Nice to take a year off from a school environment. Will travel for a little with savings I have and then figure out if I want to sell my soul to the machine at a law firm or academia

Anonymous

CS
      I wish I picked pure math or law school. CS is full of midwit scrotebrains and normies

Anonymous

Same. Wish I picked at least math minor, but now I have to pass courses in ML which I could do anyway in grad school.

Anonymous

I’m in my last year of chem. I wish I never went to college

Anonymous

College is for freaking easy, young, hot thots, making friends, connecting with profs, and getting internships

Anonymous

i didnt do any of that. i feel like ive wasted so much time and stress for nothing and feel like i wont be able to get a job, i can barely find internship opportunities anymore and the last time i applied for research they guy didn’t even respond

Anonymous

What did you do?
            >inb4 go to class, come home, do homework
            anon…..
            You still have a year. Apply to every single internship and research you can find, even if it isnt that relevant to your degree. You need something.
            Join clubs, not the super serious wannabe type A personality ones, the fun ones meant to socialize. Join a sports rec league or something. Make friends and ask out girls.
            Go to your profs office hours and ask questions beyond "whats on the exam". Read their book, go discuss it with them, and then ask for more personal reading material. Make yourself seem like an earnest independent thinker, not student #753,293
            Stop complaining and get moving

Anonymous

I work 45 hours a week and have no money, i commute far and dont have time for all that extra shit, but i need to find an internship somehow. Shit is so much freaking work sis its literally non stop
              >ask out girls
              I’m married. Thanks though, i know i just need to work harder but im having trouble even finding internships to apply for now

Anonymous

why are you married lmao?? that seems like a mistake. prolly should have waited brov

Anonymous

Nah

Anonymous

if youre young your personality is likely to change a lot and you’ll be a completely different person in 7-10 years time. the chances of you still being compatible with your partner are very slim, if you’re even compatible now lol. should have kept it bf and gf

Anonymous

Nah im late 20’s, i bonked around for a while

Anonymous

Business IT.
      Is it normal that one learns nothing of value/no marketable skills in the first two semesters? Officially it’s a BSc

Anonymous

Yes thats very normal
        Gotta take all those useless Gen Eds lmao
        If you only want skills get an AS
        But oh wait those arent as good
        Better shell out more money lmao

Anonymous

Good thing I’m europoor and even get paid for studying.
          What’s an AS?

Anonymous

Associates in Science
            It skips gen eds for the most part but also doesnt go as far into a field
            Its used in specialized medical careers, IT, and some other things
            A lot of nurses are AS’s

Anonymous

German?

Anonymous

Yes.
        Engi degree

Anonymous

Animal husbandry

Anonymous

and what kind of animal are you going to wife up?

Anonymous

Not sure yet. I still need to find out which ones are legal

Anonymous

i didnt think that was a thing people study outside of sid Meiers civ 5

Anonymous

Excellent! I have almost finished my degree in bronze working!

Anonymous

An AS in IT
      Im prepared to never find a job in my life

Anonymous

BS in Comp Sci
      Love working on computers and IT related jobs.
      Plus it’s the most in demand degree. No worry for jobs.

Would also like to get a Mechanical Eng degree later down the road. Or a masters in CS.
      Anything I should know?

Anonymous

>wants to work on computer and IT stuff
        >is getting a CS degree
        Uh
        Why not get an IT degree?

Anonymous

>Why not get an IT degree?
          Got into CS instead of IT because of more job opportunities to go into.

Plus programming is woke af.

Anonymous

Okay
            But if you wanna work on computers and IT why get a degree that focuses more on the programming side of it?

Anonymous

Not him, but
              >a CS major can do IT work
              >an IT major can’t do CS work

Anonymous

Why not?
                IT majors learn programming too
                Are those machine language classes really that necessary if I just wanna be a code monkey lmao

Anonymous

Electrical Engineering with a focus on RF

Anonymous

oh man, I used to like a lot telecommunications classes.
        Do they use GNU Radio in something like that for lab or something these days?

Anonymous

GNU radio / SDRs never came up a single time in my courses.
          But now while I’m in my senior design project, we have to use GNU radio as the backbone of our project for programming an SDR
          All of my courses were focused on the side of RF related to wave propagation, EMag, antennas, and basic transmitter circuit design

Anonymous

>wave propagation, EMag, antennas, and basic transmitter circuit design

I remember once I made a 75MHz analog oscilator with a single transistor. I miss the analog electronics days and the "standard" modulation schemes.

You can say all the good stuff about the digital era, and probably will be more than right. But I stuck with the "primitive" AM/FM modulations. All that much math working in real life.

🙂

Anonymous

BSc in Computer Science

Anonymous

Undergrad in CS
      in princeton university
      >t.Indian

Anonymous

I realize that I am probably too late but if you’re still here
        >did you have any co-curriculars?
        >what score did you get in jee (both)?
        >is your family loaded or did you get a scholarship through SAT score or something?

Anonymous

I study how to make vidya

Anonymous

Nuclear engineering. It’s pretty hard for me. I feel happy, but I’m so tired …

Anonymous

Did a double major in bio and chem then minored in applied math

Never took a cs course but self taught a bunch and picked up an emphasis in comp bio/bio informatics on my PhD in biological chemistry. Got another emphasis in biophysics but I feel like that was cheating cause I just used that coursework for my biological chemistry track.

Anonymous

chemical engineering, feel like killing myself all the time.

hope its worth it

Anonymous

Bachelor in ”statistics and data analysis” however that’s supposed to translate to the american education system

Anonymous

optometry. hopefull this makes me rich af

Anonymous

Molecular biology and Genetics.
      I will find the cure for scroteism at some point without the need of eugenics or mass murder. I believe in myself and will make the world a better place.

Anonymous

Scientific Computing. MsC.
      What is it about? Whatever you want it to be about.

Anonymous

Jannitor degree

Anonymous

I just started my master’s in CE despite feeling burned out as fuck. Maybe I should’ve relaxed a bit before starting

Anonymous

Does everyone here who is doing their masters have a scholarship, do you pay for it out of your pocket, or so you sunk deeper in debt?
      >t. Environmental science major who has a small dick and wants to compensate by getting more credentials

Anonymous

Finishing up my pure maths bachelor’s, can’t find tech job so I’m going to get a masters in CS

It’s more affordable in some countries (for the citizens). Either that or the master’s degree might offer a very high chance at breaking into a high paying industry (tech/finance) so the debt might be worth jt.

Anonymous

chemical engineering, internationally recognized as a masters degree after 4 years

Anonymous

What is that like? Honestly i might have gone into chemical engineering if i didn’t have other things to take care of

Anonymous

I dropped out because I couldn’t do college algebra

Anonymous

Wait, I never made it to university. I took 3 classes at a time (couldn’t keep up with anymore) at a community college

Anonymous

Industrial Engineering
      >t. Couldn’t make it in ME

Anonymous

>industrial engineering
        ????
        What does that even mean lol? "engineering in an industrial environment" xD literally like art school for engineers

Anonymous

I think it used to mean finding ways to streamline industrial practices, especially related to manufacturing, but since westoids aren’t allowed to manufacture things anymore I think industrial engineering is basically like glorified HR now.
          Putting big yellow arrow stickers on the floor to let employees know the shortest walking paths and trying to calculate the most optimal levels of diversity.

Anonymous

I deal with a lot of em. Can confirm, all they’re good at is making purchase orders and getting chewed out.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/Euk3ZG6.gif

I’m a neet. Is that really so wrong?

Anonymous

Bs in Biochemistry, almost done. Useless degree…

Anonymous

The trifecta of wasted paper
      Psichology
      Antophology
      Fine arts
      Im a walking burger flipper

Anonymous

You don’t need paper when you have a sovl

Anonymous

I want to get into neuroscience and computational neuroscience but I don’t want to get paid peanuts to research interesting shit
      Is there an optimal way to fall into the research trap and still get paid 6 figures?

Anonymous

theoretical physics, fuck labs

Anonymous

Literally no biology majors in this thread

Anonymous

Aero/Astro engineering. Hoping to get into the dual-title astrobio PHD program at my school after I graduate. I want to study bacterial/mold/algae growth inside long-duration manned spacecraft.

Anonymous

How do you guys find such autistic interests?

Anonymous

plant breeding

Anonymous

Aerospace engineering with an emphasis on astronautics, I just want to play ksp irl

Anonymous

your child pornography collection is showing.

Viewing 60 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id