What can we do to prevent climate change from leading to our demise?

Home Forums Science & tech What can we do to prevent climate change from leading to our demise?

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What can we do to prevent climate change from leading to our demise?

Anonymous

Implying organic gases are bad for the planet. Plants live off it you absolute reddit tool

Anonymous

Demand that your politicians do something. All the changes you could possibly make in your life wouldn’t compare to the reduction in emissions and pollution from improving environmental policy

Anonymous

Unironically sterilize Indians, Chinese, Brazilians, Indonesians, assorted Africans and other insanely high growth and pollutant populations. Anything else, is chair shuffling on the titanic.

Anonymous

White brazilian here

You wont do shit bitch

Anonymous

I’m not talking about white Brazilians you silly fuck, i’m talking about favella monkeys.

Anonymous

White favella dweller here, you wont do shit bitch

Anonymous

sorry man you gotta take one for the team

Anonymous

Climate change is not the issue. Pollution of the environment is, therefore as
        proposed it is necessary to stop human population growth. Across Europe, Japan and the US this would have already happened naturally were it not for mass migration. For other developing nations with unnaturally high growth only a stringent one-child policy could save the planet.

Anonymous

that’s the only honest answer

Anonymous

Part of the problem but I son’t think it’s all.

Anonymous

You’d have greater effect removing Americans who live outside of major cities.

Anonymous

nothing, because we don’t need to
      however, if you’re still worried, you can start a movement to genocide all the non-white countries because that’s where all the coal fired power plants are.

Anonymous

simply don’t breathe the air lol, or maybe get accustom to temperature 5f more than you like.

Anonymous

Basically all petroleum will eventually end up combusted one way or another. Even if Europe and the USA commits to reducing emissions, the undeveloped world will inevitably burn whatever we don’t burn, and then some, while reaping the economic benefits from it. I’ve never heard a climate-nut argue that we could prevent China or India from burning fossil fuels, because deep down they all know it completely futile. It’s all just a virtue signaling game.

Anonymous

I’ve heard like 1/3 of all the stuff we dig up will basically end up in the atmosphere on way or another even if we don’t burn it. In a nutshell it needs to stay deep underground.

Anonymous

You can’t do anything. Climate change isn’t something you can stop, it’s a natural process, but one thing you can end is consumerism and technocratic capitalism that is absolutely pillaging and destroying the environment. All the pollution, all the deforestation, all the desertification will be the death of humans as it is the result of human overpopulation and savagery.

Through out the history climate change has merely killed off civilisation, flora and fauna (that adapted) survived just fine, this time too, while civilisation collapses, there will be humans who survive.

Anonymous

the good thing is that most populations are starting to decline. within the next 30 yrs, most countries shouldnt have very large populations. population decline is another natural phenomena people tend to ignore

Anonymous

Imagine thinking that you could change the weather

Anonymous

Stop listening to the talking science heads and the problem literally goes away.

Anonymous

Have every nation build LFTRs.

Anonymous

Could you explain this system in simpler terms? I tried to understand but I always sucked at chemistry

Anonymous

In a political round in Germany the AFD politician Alice Weidel wanted to talk about it. She got immediately interrupted by the moderation team, tried to keep talking about it but they didn’t let her. Felt like the got trained to Muffel conversation about it.

Anonymous

I’m at a very right leaning town in east Germany and people here go out of their way to interrupt and disrupt AfD rallies.
          I honestly don’t know what to think of it.

Anonymous

nazis aren’t right wing

Anonymous

Nuke China

Anonymous

Ignore it and focus on fixing pollution and habitat degradation.

Anonymous

The solutions are the same

Anonymous

Not really, one is a UN NWO cause celebe that is promoted and pushed to enforce totalitarian control and allotting us spurious "carbon credits" otherwise known as rations, the other is practically observable. and fixable through simple regulation.

Jesus

kill all glowscrotes first

Anonymous

Reduce the population

Anonymous

finish what Hadrian didn’t

Anonymous

Right now, not a lot, unfortunately, barring technological breakthrough.

The best time to act was 40 years ago. Unfortunately, the likes of Exxon spent dozens upon dozens of millions (at 1980s values) of dollars running various agitprop campaigns (including against their own research departments) and bribing politicians, and the people opposing them were led by Al freaking Gore.

Anonymous

ironic answer: nukes, literal genocide and depopulation

unironic answer: slowly transform our energy sector to be carbon neutral some time in the middle of this century

Any country trying to outpace china or india in achieving carbon neutrality (so 2050) is dampening its own growth for little benefit to the environment though.

Anonymous

>unironic answer: slowly transform our energy sector to be carbon neutral some time in the middle of this century

You’re a complete freaking idiot.

Emissions are not the only thing leading to extreme climate. Transforming the landscape to feed BILLIONS and BILLIONS of people via farming, grazing animals, cash crops, diverting rivers, damming, roads, housing etc etc. etc.

The ONLY tenable solution to halt this disaster is depopulation.

Emissions will never go down so long as there’s a billion new squatters on this planet that need to be fed, housed, clothed, heated etc.

This delusional fetishism about emissions is as harmful to the environment as anything else we do because it delays any efforts to start depopulation programs.

Anonymous

When 40 Indians can live reasonably well on the emissions of one Emirati you know it ain’t population.

Anonymous

True as far as it goes, but those 40 Indians are trying to increase their standard of living (as defined by economics) which practically speaking implies increased emissions. The posited solution to this foreseen problem is to decrease population growth by raising the standard of living (bring the Indians closer to the Emirati)… madness.

Anonymous

Except it’s make them closer to an average western EU citizen.

Anonymous

Aka still consuming at a rate far higher than the rate at which the planetary ecosystem can replenish the material consumed. Less drastic than an Emirati, more drastic still than an Indian.

Anonymous

Nuke china and you solve half the problem

Anonymous

>What can we do to prevent climate change from leading to our demise?

Import more immigrants from third world nations you bigot.

Anonymous

>the absolute state of/poo/

Anonymous

Reduce consumption and economic growth, and the only way to do that is to reduce the population to less than 4 billion.

Anonymous

cannibalism
      it solves other problems too, like, overpopulation and famine

Anonymous

We often overlook the true heroes.

Anonymous

stop the climate hysteriacs destroying our economy, society and STEM.

This way there at least wont be a demise when the earth warms up (and some poor Fiji scrotes need to relocate)

Anonymous

How is climate change supposed to lead to our demise again? Worst case scenario we just have to move some cities around in 1000 years. Big deal. The reason why the media is so concerned is because wealthy garden gnomes live on the coasts, and it’s their world which will be completely destroyed.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Holy fuck the Chinese can time travel and pretend to be Swedish chemists too?

Anonymous

>2021
      >still being neurotically obsessed with climate impermanence
      fuck off I’ve been hearing "the ecology will collapse within 20 years" for my entire 30 years on this earth. just fuck off
      >meanwhile, developing countries continue to cobble together jaw-dropping numbers of jank-ass coal and oil plants year after year without a care, dwarfing emissions of western countries
      >my truck has four catalytic converters, but it’s somehow my responsibility and I must must own nothing and be happy
      FUCK OFF shit for brains I hope an asian energy megacorp dumps toxic waste in your bathtub while you’re in it
      >"waaah we’re on the verge of climate catastrophe, REPENT, SINNERS" – you, probably
      just have a nice day.

Anonymous

>I’ve been hearing "the ecology will collapse within 20 years" for my entire 30 years on this earth.
        Source?

Anonymous

have as many kids as possible, invade and genocide other groups as need be. Climate change is tragedy of the commons writ large. recognize this and grab what you can while you can.

Anonymous

Nuke China and the Indian subcontinent
      Put programs in place to sterilize Africans/South Americans/Central Americans after they have 2 kids

Anonymous

this but nuke USA instead

Anonymous
            Anonymous

climate change is an amerishit scam

Anonymous

Much of South America has below replacement fertility like Europe. Stop lumping us with the freaking Mexicans.

In my country (Uruguay) we don’t have drug cartels, we don’t have shantytowns, we have less crime than the US, our GDP per capita is the same as Croatia or Greece, we are not emigrating towards your country, I’m freaking tired of Americans thinking all of South America is some Africa-tier shithole, you stupid burger fuck.

Read my lips: Your. Immigrants. Are. From. North. and. Central. America.
        Mexico is in North America. Honduras is in Central America.
        Not a South America issue. These countries are not South American.
        South America is in a different continent from Mexico, with its own immigrant issues (Like Haitians or Venezuelans flooding the more wealthier countries).

Anonymous

>Mexico is in North America
          incorrect pablo

Anonymous

The absolute state of amerisharts
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

This is according to the English nomenclature by the way. In Spanish it’s all a single continent called "America", from Alaska to Patagonia.

Do you really need me to teach you about your language?

Anonymous

>Central America doesn’t exist

Anonymous

Why is Mexico part of the North America Free Trade Agreement?

Anonymous

Same as why Turkey is in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization: It’s politically expedient

Anonymous

>wikipedia says mexicans are white so it’s true
              lmao drop dead you filthy garden gnome

Anonymous

They are not South American.
                They don’t like us. We don’t like them. We don’t have anything in common except the language.
                So don’t lump this issue on us and learn geography.

Anonymous

Same as why Turkey is in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization: It’s politically expedient

I will send you $1,000 for each source you find that lists Mexico as a part of South America. How can anyone be this bad at geography? Did you fail to graduate highschool?

Anonymous

I graduated from UChicago pablo and I’m not arguing about Mexico being in South America. We’re arguing about continents which are an arbitrary geographical/political grouping

Anonymous

>Hurr durr I don’t like geography so I made up my own
                      That’s not worth $1,000, but I will send you a gold star sticker for your effort.

Anonymous

I wouldn’t expect a thirdie to have 1000 dollars sitting around anyway

Anonymous

I’m not the guy you were arguing with, I just couldn’t believe that anyone was as scrotebrained as you and your sis who seems to have bonked off. Seriously though, what degree of cognitive dissonance do you need to have to look at a map and think "nah, I could draw this better"?

Anonymous

>what degree of cognitive dissonance do you need to have to look at a map and think "nah, I could draw this better"?
                        I don’t know what you mean by this

Anonymous

This is what I imagine is going on in your head when you look at a map
                        >"Yeah, Mexico is a part of Central America"
                        >"Canada can have Alaska back"
                        >"Let’s make India it’s own continent"
                        >"And let’s make Australia a part of Asia just for the hell of it"

Anonymous

>>"Canada can have Alaska back"
                        lol what
                        >>"Let’s make India it’s own continent"
                        India/Pakistan/Bangladesh should be their own separate continent
                        >>"And let’s make Australia a part of Asia just for the hell of it"
                        Why not

Anonymous

Right, so how much cognitive dissonance do you need before you think geography is whatever you want it to be and you forget the definition of a continent?

Anonymous

I hate to shill CGP Grey but come on now
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBcq1x7P34

Anonymous

>Youtube as a source
                        have a nice day.

Anonymous

lmao, did you actually edit the article?
                      freaking embarrassing m8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America
                      >Central America (Spanish: América Central, pronounced [aˈmeɾika senˈtɾal] (About this soundlisten), Centroamérica pronounced [sentɾoaˈmeɾika] (About this soundlisten)) is a region of the Americas.[1] It is bordered by Mexico to the north, Colombia to the south, the Caribbean Sea to the east, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. Central America consists of seven countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama. Their combined population is estimated at 44.53 million (2016)

You forgot the pic, by the way.

Anonymous

>lmao, did you actually edit the article?
                        yes

Anonymous
      Anonymous

How foolish to believe we have the ability to overpower the will of nature.
      Earth will become Venus no matter what

Anonymous

What have you done so far?

Anonymous

>hey goys, mexicans are white
      if mexicans are white then why is their country 3rd world? how many "other" white counties are impoverished 3rd world shitholes? how many other white counties have it’s citizens fleeing like rats from a sinking ship?

Anonymous

Nobody is saying Mexicans are white, we are just teaching you geography and you are screeching like an autist.

Anonymous

you aren’t teaching anyone anything, you are just repeating political propaganda that you were forced to memorize. if you were actually concerned about geographic boundaries then you’d be pointing out that chukotka and madagan were both north american as well, but you’re so ignorant that you’ve never heard of chukotka or madagan, they weren’t part of your indoctrination.

Anonymous

>Imagine being this scrotebrained

Anonymous

>chukotka
            Dumb image but yeah.
            "Continents" are done by convention, there are no actual rules about what is vs isn’t one.
            What this guy is talking about are geographical continents, where eastern russia is actually part of the north american plate.
            But of course everybody preemptively seethes

Anonymous

>Doesn’t know the continents
            >Insists in being wrong
            >Gets BTFO
            >Pretends he was trying to make some intellectual point about tectonic plates all along
            lol no, fuck off.

Anonymous

occasional LULZ visitor here. How did this board look before the /poo/chuds took over?

Anonymous

>chuds
        Wherever you came from you need to go back there because that isn’t a real word.
        They’re /poo/tards

Anonymous

There weren’t very many people who’s understanding of science didn’t extend past highschool, and the majority of shitposts were made by schizos instead of propagandists. Now we’re flooded with the scientifically illiterate who think they can about down facts if they’re loud enough.

Anonymous

>about down
          Shout down*

Anonymous

It’s like Quora with no BNBR policy now…

Anonymous

Except less useful

Anonymous

>Replace traditional water heater with tankless
      >Replace ICE car with battery EV
      >Replace gas stove with electric
      >Install solar + battery backup on your home
      This will remove >60% of your green house emissions. We need to roll this out to the general public with government encouraging it, generally with financing or rebates.
      More generally, we need to embrace non-intermittent zero carbon energy cources (i.e. nuclear). Solar power is great day-to-day but if it’s used on the grid, it collapses when anything goes wrong. Solar will be a part of the solution but it is not the entire solution.
      In addition, we will need to close the carbon loop. Currently, the carbon is once-through. It gets used, burned, and then dumped into the atmosphere. We will need to re-form it into various hydrocarbons (e.g. plastics, oils, fuels) and re-use it. A portion of these captured hydrocarbons should be put into long-term storage (either underground or in Yucca Mountain as a hydrocarbon plastic such as HDPE

Anonymous

Beyond this the remaining 40% or so comes from land use in agriculture, steel, wood and cement in construction.

Agriculture’s carbon footprint will pretty much only get negated by population reductions and changes in growing practices. That’s the only way, same thing with wood.

Theres no obvious solution to steel and cement emissions, though there has been research into carbon negative cement, in general the industry doesn’t seem willing to transition. Steel can theoretically be produced using fully electric sources, but it’s just not the same.

Anonymous

The problem with most carbon capture and biofuels schemes is that theres too many moving parts to them. You have to grow the algae which then produce the alcohol in highly diluted concentrations, then go through an energy intensive distillation process, and by the end you get ethanol, a product which is only good as a gasoline additive and not a replacement. Oil recycling from food production will only ever be the area where it’s viable, as most of the work has already been done for you. Alcohol/oil still requires land to produce, of which that land has it’s own carbon footprint associated with it, so for now carbon capture through biofuels isn’t happening.

The only scenario I see happening is that we see a massive depopulation, resulting in an excess of land already in use which we can convert to biofuel. However it would probably be best (and less carbon intensive) to let nature reclaim it. Perhaps if we find some massive energy source such as fusion or LFTRs in the future the excess power can be diverted to projects like algenol.

Anonymous

I like biochar for carbon sequestration. It’s easy, cheap, and provides a useful end product.

Anonymous

You don’t grow algae to capture carbon, you use solar power and chemical processes to capture it directly from the air.

Anonymous

>directly from the air
            No. You use the ocean or any large body of water as a carbon sink and pull it out of the water. The concentrations are 100x in water than in air, atmospheric co2 would then diffuse into the ocean. The US Navy already attempted to use aircraft carrier reactors for this purpose with the desired end product being jet fuel. Turned out to be cheaper to just have a fuel boat pull along side and top them off but a shore woke af application would be substantially cheaper. A couple hundred fission reactors globally positioned around the worlds coasts could literally reverse climate change (you’d effectively have a climate machine lol). A couple hundred sounds like a lot but if every developed nation got on board and built their share it’s totally doable.

Anonymous

Collapse civilisation as soon as possible so the population collapses before we manage to destroy more parts of the biosphere and thus the natural processes civilisation is built on. We are currently burning through the legs of the table we are sitting on, better that we collapse sooner and leave more of the table salvageable for later rather than letting it continue until we burn through the whole thing.

Drastic pop. control in the 2nd/3rd world wont work as their growth is driven by first world demand of their products (though go ahead and try, it wont work but will achieve my previous recommendation I’d say), that won’t happen because people for all their noise can’t politically accept disruption of their consumer lifestyles. Also those left would just babyboom all the harder in response to economic conditions where their labour and goods would be in huge demand

Similarly educating and improving living standards in the 3rd world wont work – "overpopulation is not a problem bigot! but educating and raising living standards reduces childbirths so we should do that… even though it’s not a problem… the real problem is those in the first world consuming monstrous amounts of resources – so we should enfranchise the 3rd world into this mode of living, that’ll fix it :DDD"

If someone could come up with an ideological phage of sorts that plugged into capitalism in such a way that just made sense to most people, by which the profit drive was overridden as the primary goal and some mechanism evolved to one where there is a motive towards responsibility. Similar to the way, do what they might, feudal rulers could not help but see their power dissolved by market, that might do it. Fuck knows where to start with that, maybe something to do with eliminating externalities?

Anonymous

I tend to think there’s no practical way of fixing it though, capitalism really is human nature for all intents and purposes. Human nature is just not evolved enough to behave differently to any other living thing, from herbivores overgrazing down to algae in a pond eutrophying. If humans are left alone, people will trade, trading becomes necessary due to division of labour, barriers to trade will dissolve, commerce becomes the predominant activity, capital itself (distinct from individuals, but existing through them as a computer program exists as collated behaviour of semiconductors) behaves functionally like an AI and begins self preserving, conditioning society to further serve capital (advertising, marketing, lobbying) and that’s that. Unless you change the fundamental workings of the semiconductors, it won’t change as the function of the program is to preserve itself. Sorry I know this sounds very weed induced.

Anonymous

>to prevent climate change
      It is too late for that, by about 80 years.
      >leading to our demise
      It won’t. It will merely lead to misery.

Anonymous

Accept that it will happen
      Accept that society won’t just collapse like that and it’ll be a slow change
      Find some land in some country or region you like and feel like you’d be safe, get a house, just chill out and pray

Anonymous

worldwide fascism.

Anonymous

It would help if people weren’t so ecologically illiterate, even on here where you’d expect people to at least be able to figure it out if they hadn’t studied it at some point. Ecological overshoot is not a hard concept to grasp.

Anonymous

Climate change is a problem for the scrotes, we will be extinct by the time that shit really becomes a problem.

Anonymous

CLIMATE CHANGEORINO

Anonymous

Vote smart, buy conscientiously. Everything else is window dressing.

Anonymous

LFTR.

Anonymous

Turn off the TV and unplug completely from social media

Anonymous

We don’t need to do anything.
      It will correct naturally when we discover an effective way to reduce CO2 to methane using electrical power.
      When that happens converting excess CO2 into food/fuel will compete with cryptocurrency mining for spare electrical power.
      There was a recent paper on using coper nano structure catalysts at 100C to do this.

Anonymous

The real fun part comes when we find an economically beneficial way of extracting CO2 from the atmosphere and end up with the opposite problem of countries overharvesting CO2, causing the world to cool and eventually freeze.

Anonymous

Throw more trash in the ocean. It us more reflective and as the ocean is a massive heat absorber this will solve the problem.

Anonymous

any technological breakthrough will just be used to accelerate and expand human activities.
      we as a species need to regulate our growth, rather than nature regulating it for us. instead we are like a cancer

Anonymous

Eat your bugs, live in your pod, push away those close to you, listen to your betters

Anonymous

Eradicate all chinks and poos

Anonymous

Only correct answer.

Anonymous

use a monetary system which has a money that doesn’t lose value over time, causing people to drastically stop consumption in order to save more value and consume only what has to be consumed
      tip: bitcoin is just that

Anonymous

Nothing. Just enjoy the ride and buy an air conditioner. This will be the last century for the human race. Just be glad you got to experience it instead of dying in a senseless war in 1400s or something.

Anonymous

the cybercannibal wars of 2400 will suck too

Anonymous

Humans will be fine as a species, it’s industrial civilization which is screwed.

Anonymous

Other way around. The most impacted from climate change are poor countries. Rich countries probably won’t even notice it’s happened.

Anonymous

They’ll notice when ~4 billion refugees come from Africa, LatAm, and Asia into Europe and America.

Anonymous

>An underclass of slave labor comes in

Anonymous

The Romans thought the Goths were an underclass too, right until they got conquered by them.

Anonymous

what about the billions of inflation refugees fleeing from food and energy shortages

Anonymous

Realistically?

Bring the population below 4 billion.

Anonymous

Mouthbreather

Anonymous

[…]

Anonymous

>Something happens over hundreds of years
      >Yeah totally because of this one thing
      Now get back to work. Less yapping, more hammering.

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id