What are some cameras for first time film students to use for short films?

Home Forums Science & tech What are some cameras for first time film students to use for short films?

• This topic has 35 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What are some cameras you recommend for first time film students to use for short films? I’m looking for something that can pass for cinema quality or at least can shoot higher than 1080p, not necessarily 4k.

Anonymous

The one you have with you

Anonymous

They’ve made Hollywood tier (read: garbage) movies with iPhones so yeah, what this guy said

Anonymous

[…]

all those films look like garbage though. just get a bmpcc or a bmpcc4k

xt2nigger

Pass for cinema quality? That’s a pretty tall order if you’re exoecting the camera to do all the work.

But if you’re good at editing and are a good camera operator you should be able to get away with pretty much anything that isn’t a handycam.

Anonymous

If you’re in school you should be asking this to someone in the film department.

Anonymous

fuck off, buy a used BMPCC with a decent zuiko zoom lens and a cage to attach your shit to

Anonymous

>What are some cameras you recommend for first time film students to use for short films?
      whatever your film school provides for your projects
      most likely amiras, alexa minis and super16 film

Anonymous

>I’m looking for something that can pass for cinema quality or at least can shoot higher than 1080p, not necessarily 4k.
      schools have cameras for this that you can use, as well as info on cameras to buy. it’s still only september, but i call bs

Anonymous

>What are some cameras you recommend for first time film students to use for short films?
      iphone.
      not joking, you can grade the shit out of it and will get you to the point where you can larp as a director of photography.

Anonymous

shooting everything with a fixed wide lens will make you look amateur

Anonymous

>shooting everything with a fixed wide lens
          cropping exists.

Anonymous

iphones have 3 lenses

Anonymous

What iphone has a fixed wide lens anon?

Anonymous

all of them up to the 8

Anonymous

Sorry didn’t realize you were poor.

Anonymous

obviously she’s poor if she’s considering shooting a movie on a phone.

Anonymous

As a film student, why wouldn’t you use the school’s equipment? There should be no need to buy anything. If you think you have something good enough for a festival, rent the gear.
      Treat filmmaking as a business. What’s the business case for buying the gear?
      Want something that will serve you in college and not be a waste of money? Get the Pro iPhone and FilimicPro or an Experia 5 III and use the included CinemaPro app. Either will give you really nice 4K footage good enough to get you into a festival or to market as a treatment. Only thing you’ll miss is being able to throw backgrounds out of focus.

If you’re rich, sure, go buy a BMPCC 6K, a cage, a matte box, fast EF-S lenses, a gear drive, Sachtler fluid head, etc… and go make lame slo-mo flower field and city nighttime bokeh-ball crap like everyone else.

Anonymous

>lame slo-mo flower field and city nighttime bokeh-ball crap like everyone else.
        What do these words mean?

Anonymous

you’ll know one day, boy

Anonymous

>why wouldn’t you use the school’s equipment?
        I want to actually own it and not have to worry about returning it or losing access to them when I’m out of school

Anonymous

you can do that once you actually have enough clients to support that investment

xt2nigger

What if you lose interest and decide you dont want to to videography? All gear loses value over time so you’re putting yourself at a financial disadvantage here.

Interests come and go but the gear will always be there on ebay.

Anonymous

I agree with this, also you’ll probably have a better idea of what you want after after using the school’s gear and seeing what you like and don’t like about it.
            You’ll also be buying later so you’ll be able to get better equipment for the same price

Anonymous

I’m doubt I’m going to lose interest in it, the same way a guy trying to be a doctor or a lawyer isn’t going to. It’s my passion of choice and I’m sticking to it. There’s a lot of things I can do there I cant in any other field.

Anonymous

If its your first time, it does not matter at all because your lighting, locations, set design and actors will all look like shit.
      Buy a cheap 2nd hand mirror less camera (because of the no mirror = elwctronic viewfinder which will show u how the settings change the shot) and just learn how to use a camera, and where to put lights.

Anonymous

I dped a 50min film with an a7riv.

Only annoyance was grading s-log2 footage.

Came out great for a first timer.

Anonymous

Buy a lumix that has IBIS and can shoot 4k. You can find a used one for around $500.

Anonymous

Try to buy a 5D Mark II, great films have been shot on that.

Weekend.

Anonymous

Pick up a used G7 for between $300-400 and get some Rokinon cine-lenses. For under $1000 you can build a solid enough "babys first cinematic videos" set. There’s no reason to go much over $1000 for everything when just starting out.

Anonymous

I agree with this guy get a used m43 camera. You can get a gh3 body used for about 200 which is crazy considering it’s high bitrate 4k. I’d look for either a gh3 or gx7 or olympus om-d e-m1 or e-m5 II. These are the highest bitrate m43 cameras for 1080p. If you’re looking to shoot 4k on a budget go for the gh4 or g7.

M43 is just amazing because there are so many lenses and most of any lenses every made will be adaptable with little vignetting because of the small sensor. I kind of like the m43 bokeh in bideo too gives it a nice look.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

I don’t get what you’re asking.

Rokinon’s line of cine-lenses are like a cheaper version of higher end Canons, and come in a variety of mounts. A Panasonic and set of Rokinon (or Samyang, same thing) is my primary budget set-up and I highly recommend it for someone looking for that "cinematic look" while not trying to piss away a (comparatively) ton of cash.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
            Camera-Specific Properties:Equipment MakePanasonicCamera ModelDMC-G5Camera SoftwareVer.1.0Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color AreaFocal Length (35mm Equiv)51 mmImage-Specific Properties:Image OrientationTop, Left-HandHorizontal Resolution180 dpiVertical Resolution180 dpiImage Created2021:09:21 21:05:54Exposure Time1/50 secF-Numberf/2.2Exposure ProgramManualISO Speed Rating160Exposure Bias0 EVMetering ModePatternLight SourceFlashFlashFlash, CompulsoryFocal Length25.00 mmColor Space InformationsRGBImage Width4608Image Height3072RenderingNormalExposure ModeManualScene Capture TypeStandardGain ControlLow Gain UpSaturationNormalSharpnessNormalImage QualityFineWhite BalanceAutoFocus ModeAutoSpot ModeUnknownImage StabilizerOffMacro ModeNormalShooting ModeManualAudioNoFlash Bias0.00 EVColor EffectOffContrastHighNoise ReductionStandard

Anonymous

Blackmagic Pocket 4K/6K.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id