Was the prohibition based or cringe?

Home Forums General & Off-topic Was the prohibition based or cringe?

• This topic has 100 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What’s the LULZ verdict on the prohibition? Was it based?

Anonymous

Based in premise, cringe in reality. Alcoholism is an issue, alcohol isn’t. A blanket ban on alcohol does not but spur on its use.

Anonymous

>Writing to Jefferson in 1807, during the disastrous Embargo Act, Treasury Secretary Albert Gallatin said "It is seldom that a politician does not hazard to regulate the private concerns of an individual when he is better off doing so for himself."

Anonymous

Yes, I see it as un-American

Anonymous

It was good. Ive seen the devastation of alcoholism after it was taken away. They plant these stores in every red town so that men get addicted.

Anonymous

>putting that shit in the Constitution

absolutely cringe and fucking retarded. extremely embarrassing.

Anonymous

They needed to do it to avoid a possible court challenge. That lesson was learned after the Supreme Court threw out Federal income tax laws 2x so they had to bolt it to the Constitution with the XVI Amendment.

Anonymous

Or just leave it up to the states like most things? Federal government had no business getting involved.

Anonymous

alcohol is brain poison so yes I think it was based , there is nothing cool about it, you are not hemingway or bukowski and both those faggots were cringe anyway. it makes people violent and crazy or pathetic messes. i wish they would ban it now

Anonymous

i get where they were coming from, but it was a dumb idea in the end, which makes it cringe.

there was no way to enforce it except perhaps at a staggering cost

Anonymous

Islamic opinion

Anonymous

Explicitly yes but the idea that Christians are supposed to like alcohol because Jesus drank it, is like suggesting that Christians like fasting in the desert for weeks on end because Jesus did that too. What is self-destructive for us, well Jesus can handle it because he is perfect, there is limitation to our willpower.

Anonymous

Probably one of the only based Islamic opinions.

Anonymous

It was cringe as fuck.
      How the fuck did that even happen in a non-islamic country?

Anonymous

Christians and women.

Name

>Protestants and women
          ftfy

Anonymous

>in 1906, concerned about the effects of alcoholism on labor efficiency, some employers organized themselves into the American anti-saloon league, which was joined by numerous industrialists including John D. Rockefeller, Henry Ford and Henry Joy, and by 1915 half of the states had banned the consumption of alcoholic beverages
        Capitalist pigs want their slaves to be even more slaves. Nothing new to see here.

Anonymous

It was cringe, just a bunch of funslaying WASP busy bodies finding an excuse to stick it to working German, Italian, and Irish immigrants who all came from drinking cultures. Add a heaping dose of hysterical suffragettes who think alcohol causes wife beating, and a healthy dose of Christcuck control freaks who think Jesus turned water into grape drank and never had fun once in his life, and you have the perfect storm for exactly the worst kind of bipartisan cooperation

Anonymous

It annoys me that every facet of American life has to do with race.

Anonymous

Too bad faggot. Race is real and these are the problems that plague multi-racial societies. Nothing will make it go away except staying in your own respective countries.

Anonymous

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.

Anonymous

>Hey look, we made a poem into a law somehow
              >Yay!

Anonymous

i get where they were coming from, but it was a dumb idea in the end, which makes it cringe.

Anonymous

s-tier cringe
      ussr propaganda at least had SOVL

Anonymous

Problem was prohibition targeted sale and production of alcohol, not consumption of alcohol. Police should have been given the right to search homes for alcohol and harve harsh punishments for consumption and possession, like public lashings.

Anonymous

Shit like this is why this website is garbage anymore

Anonymous

t. Ahmed al-Saladin Muhammad

Anonymous

Absolute cringe.

It reduced the amount people drank apparently, but it was a colossal failure otherwise and fueled organized crime. Worse, it was one of the first major if not the first major case of a law that was so flagrantly disrespected/dismissed by those it governed it began to engender more contempt and distrust/disdain of the government. Think broken window policing.

A more successful endeavor would have been to just restrict the sale of alcohol than to ban it outright. People wouldn’t risk arrest/crime/murder if they couldn’t buy alcohol on a Sunday or could only buy it from certain licensed stores.

Nothing good in the US has ever come from great awakenings. Our founding fathers created a great (if flawed) system of governance while all these fucking millennialist retarded moral mob movements that come along would have us be as dysfunctional and fucking stupid as a Latin American state.

Islamic world has that and yet everyone drinks like a fish in private. Categorically such punitive aggressive measures have always failed while milder use of the stick do better. We’ve reduced smoking not by banning it outright but taxing the hell out of it and making it a pain to acquire cigarettes. Still have smoking, people still bypass the taxes (Freddie Gray and all) but people pursue the path of least resistance. Shit reminds me of piracy and record labels trying to sue little ol grannies – and then how much more success they’ve had just introducing a way to get music cheaply and lightly via subscriptions/itunes.

Anonymous

It reduced the amount people drank apparently, but it was a colossal failure otherwise

Stopped reading right there.
          You dumb fucking retard.

Anonymous

>unenforceable
      >creates massive organized crime wave that hadn’t existed before
      >finally repealed when the Depression caused a huge loss of Federal tax revenue so they badly needed the money from alcohol taxes

Anonymous

>creates massive organized crime wave that hadn’t existed before
        >create new laws
        >people break the law instead of doing the same thing which was legal before
        Profound. In fact, we could just get rid of the entire court and legal system and then there would be no crime! Just think about it

Anonymous

it was cringe it basically fueled the rise of organized crime.

Anonymous

In that case why bother making any drug illegall if it will just fuel organized crime?

Anonymous

its known that legalizing drugs decreases other sorts of crime besides the obvious

Anonymous

Yeah I absolutely believe you but like all things, there’s pros and cons. For example, banning alcohol might cause some increase in violent crime as gangs compete for drug sales, but you’d have less drunk drivers. And as an ordinary citizen I’m more likely to be killed by drug addict motorists than by gangbaners. Conversely, legalizing alcohol would have the opposite effect.

Anonymous

>alright here’s what we are gonna do, we are gonna tell humans what they can’t do
      >I’m listening
      >and we won’t have majority public support
      >brilliant!

Anonymous

The idea was based. The execution was unbelievably retarded. Obviously forcing everyone to go cold turkey was a bad idea. They should’ve slowly got the public off the alcohol before implementing it. Maybe offer some alternatives and not make the punishments that strict.

Anonymous

Bad because Hitler supported it

Anonymous

It’s literally the reason we have cartels and drug empires. It’s a cautionary tale of why you never trust any politician who’s main policies target women or expect to be popular with women because they almost always think they’re an easily led around fools and end up raising shitstorms. This is one of the rare cases where they were proven right, and look what it led to.

Anonymous

If women are clamoring for some political cause it’s because men are spurring them on to do so. I don’t really understand your point. Even nowadays there are a lot, I mean a lot of women who just vote whatever their husband votes.
        But the cartels and drug empires is obviously a whole other tale and isn’t necessarily anything to do with alcohol. Alcohol was domestic problem newer drug problems are international affairs with drugs coming across the border mostly.

Anonymous

It did reduce alcohol consumption both short and long term but it overall caused far more suffering than it prevented, so it was a bad thing.

Anonymous

it created the organized crime epidemic in America that wasn’t really resolved until application of RICO statutes in the 80s-90s

Anonymous

You mean still hasn’t been resolved. Inner city gangs are just bootleg(heh) versions of the 1920s bootleggers.

Anonymous

No they’re really not. Which is part of the reason why RICO enforcement hasn’t been nearly as effective at combating street gangs as it has with mobs.

Anonymous

Street gangs are disorganized diverse folk who sell bags of coke and meth on the corner and die in a shootout over $1,000.

Bootleggers had feds on their payroll and politicians in their pocket.

Anonymous

You give blacks too much credit or you are black yourself

Anonymous

As we’ve seen the War on Drugs proved they learned absolutely nothing from Prohibition.

Anonymous

Prohibition was deemed to have failed because possession and production of booze weren’t forbidden, only sale of it. so they came up with the genius idea that if making and using drugs was also banned, then logically, people would not use drugs. Yes this is actually how people in the government think. They don’t really occupy the same plane of reality as you and me.

Anonymous

History repeating itself.

Anonymous

Nothing says land of the free more than having daddy government running your life telling you what you can’t put in your own fucking body, am I right?

Government treating adults like children is so heckin based!

Anonymous

Its the ultimate proof of why you should never listen to women or religious fundies, to bad nobody listened

Anonymous

The thing I can’t understand is that nowhere in the bible does it tell you not to drink.

Anonymous

True story: Back in the 10th century, the Grand Duke Vladimir of Kyiv had to make the decision to convert Russia to Christianity or Islam, and he chose the former because its scriptures didn’t prohibit alcohol.

Anonymous

He made the right choice.

Anonymous

Technically Islam doesn’t prohibit alcohol either, just drunkenness and advises against drinking, but religionfags don’t know how moderation works so the (((hadiths))) prohibit it entirely.

Anonymous

I think he also really liked the idea of trade and political ties with Constantinople.

Anonymous

No doubt, but alcohol was his explicitly stated reason as far as I recall.

Anonymous

It tells you not to get drunk but the problem is that people can’t just not get drunk. It’s basically a junkie cope "I can stop anytime I want" kind of thing. First of all, how are you going to not get drunk if you don’t know your limit in the first place? You need to dip your toes in the water before you dive in. And this creates alcoholism. If people could just drink alcohol and not get drunk, I would support the sale and distribution of it. But they can’t. They drunk drive, they kill people, they beat their wives and children. I don’t want more people abused by drug addicts, so I am against the sale and consumption of alcohol.

Anonymous

A short-sighted idealistic, deeply un-American policy that made many people miserable for little concrete gains. All the government bootlickers in this thread praising it should be deported back to Europe so they can suck the state’s dick as they please.

Anonymous

Making something illegal won’t make it magically disappear, if anything prohibition was a burden on American society by creating modern organized crime. The ban only made it so that your average everyday commoner doesn’t enjoy his booze.

Anonymous

they seem to assume banning something reduces the demand for that something

Anonymous

>The ban only made it so that your average everyday commoner doesn’t enjoy his booze.
        It didn’t even do that, because they could find a speak easy or order dried wine that utilized a legal loophole. All it did was make it so that feds seizing supply was simply a cost of doing business, and shunting it into unregulated market where crooks figured out that the cheapest path to profitability is sending goons to physically drive away competitors

Anonymous

>dried wine
          ah yes, dried ethanol, just add water.

Anonymous

Nah, you just dry the grapes as pass it off as “grape juice”

Rare Prohibition ‘grape brick’ that turns into wine on show

Anonymous

That’s just small batch production of your own personal booze. That wasn’t even a legal loophole, it was written in to the amendment on purpose.

Anonymous

Yes, and the point is that anyone who wanted a drink badly enough could find it, to the point where the word “scofflaw” came to refer to people who openly disdained prohibition and drank like they gave no fucks about it. Who was going to stop them, when even the local police department disdained prohibition and were paid in free booze to look the other way?

Anonymous

I think it started because they were trying to curb drunkenness that would affect necessary defense production during WWI.

Anonymous

Yet it started two years after the war ended.

Anonymous

[…]

Sounds to me like there was no constitutional grounds for this ruling and they did it just because they didn’t want the negative publicity of making a ruling that appeared to support the legality of CP.

Anonymous

christcuckery and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race

Anonymous

Based. Drinking alcohol is extremely retarded.

Anonymous

while i agree with you on alcohol being retarded, prohibition wasn’t very productive and didn’t do much to get rid of the substance while causing a massive spike in organized crime. that alone makes it cringe.

Anonymous

Immigration is what caused the spike in crime

Anonymous

The only thing prohibition did was destroyed the traditionally german dominated beer industry, and left america with garbage like budweiser.

My 23&me results= 0% European, 98% Anatolian, 1% Central Asian, 1% Sudanese

They didn’t requisition sufficient prosecutorial and policing resources to make it work. If they really wanted to, they could have, but Prohibitionists were also small government types.

Anonymous

it was the first things r*asties did with franchise, along with divorces laws and lowering the age of consent.
      such as thing was only possible as millions of man voters were off dying in France.

Anonymous

I always like how absolutely buttblasted all the alcoholics get when you tell them alcohol is literal poison and a bane on society. Half the posts in this thread are just drinkers ranting because someone told them to stop being a degenerate.

Anonymous

Unironically would have worked if not for the importation of wops and paddies. If the USA remained an Anglo-Saxon nation as intended, things would have been so much better in general.

Anonymous

The founding stock went to war over a whisky tax.
        It only caught on when women had an outsized electorate between the 19th amendment and wwi put together

Anonymous

>went to war over a whisky tax
          A tax.
          Not total abstention, retard.
          And its classified as a "rebellion" not a "war" for a fucking reason

Anonymous

Why did so many people treat like a joke like your pic? Weren’t people genuinely pissed off about it?

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.