Let me guess: you "need" more.

Anonymous

I need less.

Anonymous

I got you.

Anonymous

Looks like more to me

Anonymous

The Solitaire icon always resembled kilroy more than a 4 or 5 of diamonds coming out of the box to me.

Anonymous

could be intentional

Anonymous

back when windows was good

Anonymous

Windows was never good.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Right on the money about being a zoomer, but I appreciate the compactness and sharpness of 90s UI design over what came after. 00s design is good and I have nostalgia for it but you can see that it’s already bloating in terms of size. Nothing like modern flatshit, I’ll admit.

WinXP’s Luna theme was trash and made fun of when it was unveiled. KDE 3.5 or OS X were the best imo.

Prostate before your king.

vgh… what could have been…

Can someone please remind me why we gave up these aesthetics for a flat UIs?

Anonymous

one big corp does it and every other corp follows suit

Anonymous

diversity

Anonymous

google
            youtube kids
            zoomer platformdependent-programming and consoom-grooming

Anonymous

industrial designers have been grifting for decades to hold onto their job security

Anonymous

Makes sense. Also the reason why they keep reinventing the wheel and freaking with good graphic design, changing around where system settings are with each OS version, etc.

Anonymous

I like flat UIs because monochromatic colouring is easier than trying to emulate shadows for no discernable reason
            The fact that flat UIs are a sign of a much slower interface rather than faster is a freaking tragedy of contemporary coding

Anonymous

>The fact that flat UIs are a sign of a much slower interface rather than faster is a freaking tragedy of contemporary coding
              it’s a hilarious irony

Anonymous

UI designers want to keep their jobs so they come up with some pseudoscience psychology bullshit about how minimalist UI will do this and that and then companies pay them again to make it. Except now their work is 10000x easier since flatshit is way easier to design.

Anonymous

literally only autists and LULZ-tards give a shit about this type of stuff, minimalist UIs are just easier to navigate and in general look better

Anonymous

garden gnomes

Anonymous
          Anonymous

uh-oh i think my windows 95 machine is spying on me

Pr?nc?ss Sevenleaf

lol you know that Microsoft historically is one of the few corporations that would hire visibly-trans people, back in the day when that was rare as fuck? Which is the reason why the "transbian programmer" stereotype is a thing?

Anonymous

No, it was objectively shit. basically you needed a a full reinstall every two weeks, and even then it crashed (BSOD) at least once a day at best.
        You’re either experiencing rosy nostalgia or never actually used it, in which case zoom away.

Anonymous

FAKE

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/MRgZMeC.gif

did I miss some epic bread where these were made?

more?

Anonymous

idk I just found them on imgur
          gonna dump them, why not

Anonymous
              Anonymous
                Anonymous
                  Anonymous
                    Anonymous
                      Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                        Anonymous
                    Anonymous

My favorite

Anonymous

gotta link homie?

Anonymous

windows was always trash

Anonymous

man I miss motif

Anonymous

> did not progress
      I’d say it degenerated. It’s all the same featureless icons that bleed into eash other with tons of padding everywhere that does not belong on desktop. With no customization of course.

Anonymous

soul

Anonymous

[…]

these designs are so nice especially on lower res monitors.

Anonymous

What theme is this for KDE ?

Anonymous

KDE 3 i think

Anonymous

Going backwards is progression. Backwards progression.

Anonymous

> Backwards progression
        Regression, then?

Anonymous

I disagree, Apple’s OSX was the last update on UI we had, back then both it and WinXP tried to modernize the UI from what we had with Win 9X and OS9, and it is clear by how modern UIs look that OSX won, everything after Leopard tried to do what leopard was doing.

Anonymous

Only zoomer babies are fascinated by this stuff.

I lived through this era and I was glad to see it gone. UI design peaked in the 2000s and has gone to shit with flat minimalist garbage everywhere.

Anonymous

Right on the money about being a zoomer, but I appreciate the compactness and sharpness of 90s UI design over what came after. 00s design is good and I have nostalgia for it but you can see that it’s already bloating in terms of size. Nothing like modern flatshit, I’ll admit.

Anonymous

I would prefer a little more padding between my elements, this is too compact and makes some things harder to distinguish from each other. Unfortunately we never hit an inbetween, you either have ultra compactness or excessive padding on every element and huge whitespace between every single line of text.

Anonymous

isn’t the inbetween just giving end users the option to modify appearance?

Anonymous

> just giving end users the option to modify appearance
              We had it since Windows 95. Then they took it away from us, literally for no good reason.
              Now everyone is forced to use the same shit UI that just doesn’t work for desktops.

Anonymous

Idk if it’s just me, but I get the impression that the internet (and tech in general) started going to shit at the same time it started to be trendy to take customization features away?

YouTube for instance, back then you could change a lot about your channel, then the downwards spiral of layout changes began. Facebook got popular in while having locked down customization in lieu of other social websites where you had more choice… even in Windows, from 10 on you cannot oficially use another theme, not even classic. Windows 11 doesn’t even allow you to change the taskbar

inb4 meds but I think some form of tech iliteracy will rise from it, as people use these locked down options and think that’s all there is.

I need validation from strangers on this

Anonymous

The world actually ended in 2012, we just didn’t realize it because it wasn’t one big earth-shattering kaboom. It was merely the beginning of a gradual process.

Anonymous

The problem is that desktop GUI isn’t built around modern paradigms like sizing elements, padding, margins etc. using relative units woke af around a modular scale, so changing the appearance of every application to have margins, text size, padding, etc conform to a specific standard would require months or years of work.

Anonymous

gxwin or maybe Qt?
                i just fuck around until it looks nice and then wait for the next ugly version to fix it

Anonymous

>The problem is that desktop GUI isn’t built around modern paradigms like sizing elements, padding, margins etc
                Windows has been DPI aware for freaking years.
                Most modern programming languages already support DPI aware UIs.

Anonymous

WinXP’s Luna theme was trash and made fun of when it was unveiled. KDE 3.5 or OS X were the best imo.

Anonymous

I grew up with XP but it looks really bad in retrospect after I tried it once again after years. I’ve been using TDE on *nix for quite some time now and can’t enjoy anything else.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/ncgMxDw.gif

Whistler had a better theme IMO. It felt more like a logical evolution of the Classic theme.
          It also kinda looks like Windows 8-10 theme, except not terrible (without godawful padding everywhere, and without forsaking gradients).

Anonymous

Yeah, I love Whistler. When I ran XP for a few months for fun I used the Whistler theme because it does feel modern without being padded to shit.

Anonymous

As an early zoomer I do miss the information dense UI design, it has only degenerated and it’s only getting worse all while using MORE resources to render. Imorovements like compositing fortunately have alleviated most of it but the bloated sparse crippled interfaces still make me do 5-6 taps for things that should only take one.

Anonymous

>while using MORE resources to render
            This is false, it is faster to render, in fact one of the selling points of W8 they pushed was that the interface was less intensive than W7 on low-end hardware, and this was proven by benchmarks at the time. The reason W10 is so bonked up is because pajeets literally can’t into efficient loading.

Anonymous

> UI design peaked in the 2000s and has gone to shit with flat minimalist garbage everywhere.

I don’t think you know what that word means

Anonymous

90s UI – peak usability
      00s UI – peak design
      10s UI – tries to be both and fails

Anonymous

20s ui – tries to be both and succeeds
        *dependant on de
        ** if we’re strictly speaking windows 00s was much better

Anonymous

everything is unusable and looks like shit now. wtf are you on about? UX consistency has died as well. it’s all freaking shit.

Anonymous

works on my computer, please clarify your issue in the form of a question.

Anonymous

> UX consistency has died as well
            Not true, UX consistency is at an all time high.
            Its all completely unusable and horrifically hideous shit, all of it, complete consistency.

Anonymous

heh

Anonymous

what de do you like? i am not really sure what this applies to unless you basically rice everything yourself

Anonymous

gnome 3, it just has more modification options that are easier to use. i’ll probably go back to kde or xfce at some point

Anonymous

try Cinnamon, it’s pretty much what GNOME 3 should have been from the start…kinda because there are some GTK things they couldn’t unfuck, but it gives a decent experience.

Anonymous

I’m a linux newscrote who just recently started using Mint. While I like the cinnamon DE overall, there are some minor things I find annoying. Like how I can’t do something simple like right-click>run-as-super-user or right-click>open-file-location. Or not being able to manually type in the folder address into an address bar in the file explorer

Anonymous

Use KDE

Anonymous

I heard that KDE is buggy, is this true? Also I see mixed info on whether or not having multiple DEs at the same time will cause issues. Is that still the case?

Anonymous

>I heard that KDE is buggy, is this true?
                      yes, but it’s usually very easy to fix the bugs so they don’t happen again for a while.

Anonymous

Guess I’ll give it a shot. Can always switch back if it’s unusable, thanks

Anonymous

>Is that still the case?
                      Depends on the distribution, if you’re using systemd and a good display manager using multiple DEs isn’t a problem.
                      >I heard that KDE is buggy, is this true?
                      Some people experience edge cases, I used it for years and never ran into any problems. Pic rel is the file manager, it supports tabs and split views per tab, tree views, is extensively configurable. It also has thumbnails in its filepicker. KDE’s standard design philosophy is focused towards power users, while GNOME and GTK DEs tend to treat their users like they’re scrotebrained and can’t handle complexity.

Anonymous

That sounds exactly like what I need. I like the look and feel of Cinnamon but I hate how limited the options are. Reminds me of phones where it’s a pain in the ass to access anything at all.

Anonymous

I’ve been using KDE for a while now because I need to use Kali and it’s easier to just learn one default, so I use Debian with KDE for everything else.
                        How many steps did you go through to get this pic? Those colors are nice to look at.
                        I’m also kinda clueless as to what the Kali devs used for the searchbar because default Debian KDE doesn’t have it and I’d like to stop clicking through so many windows just to open Firefox again. Or do pros just open a terminal and run whatever from there as a bg process?

Anonymous

I used kvantum and edited the Arc theme with Inkscape, there’s also a configuration file that lets you change other colors, padding, margins etc. For a lot of colors you can just take a screenshot of dolphin and then run a search-replace with sed over the .svg file for hex values.

Anonymous

that’s a neat way to do it
                        I’d prefer to be able to start from a new install of Kali so I might figure out how to make a shell script to do this

Anonymous
                      Anonymous

i can crash on occasion, but recovery is fast and almost un-noticable (Arch)
                      however it is slow, you need a good system for it
                      i love KDE, its a complete desktop experience – no other DE comes close – alas its slow

Anonymous

Hmm. At the left of the search button there is a change path selector button. Click it and you get text paths (IMO should be the default)

Anonymous

Press Shift while right clicking and you will get the run-as-superuser option.

Anonymous

Not the same person, but what’s the same command for KDE? Can’t find the option to run as super user, even with pressed Shift.

Anonymous

It’s objectively worse at both things while also using more resources. Android 4.2 Jelly Bean nailed it.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Windows looks like shit compared to any of them

Anonymous

Woke af

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>noooooooooo it’s changing woke af on context and not showing the exact same options no matter what help me gentooman

Anonymous

What a YouTube comment section of a thread.

Anonymous

Yes, I need something that’s readable on high resolution (1080p+) displays. Windows 95 has a solid interface, but it was very clearly made for 640×480 through 1024×768. Also the start menu w/ searchbar is pretty much perfection, and Windows didn’t have that until W7.

Anonymous

That’s perfectly readable on my 1080p screen. I have a GTK theme that’s as small.

Anonymous

it was heaven on 1600×1200 you stupid zoomer

Anonymous

>and Windows didn’t have that until W7
        you mean Vista?

Anonymous

Vista doesn’t count. Its drawbacks were so numerous that its flaws overshadowed anything good it brought, therefore nobody within their right mind used it. Kind of like how a bunch of XP features were actually introduced in ME but it doesn’t matter because ME was shit.

Anonymous

>t. did not have sata, uses machine with 512mb

Anonymous

If you had less than 4GB RAM (99% of the population in 2006-09), Vista is literally useless to you, and even then, most applications still worked better with 32-bit XP even with its 3GB RAM limit.

Anonymous

Thanks for reminding me that zoomers ruined computers and humanity

Anonymous

UI design progressed a lot after the 90s. It got shitty in the mid 10s when everything became too flat and simplified. Boomers and turbo normies get too confused about what submenu they’re in and it’s too easy for them to accidentally hit some kind of "back" or "refresh" button that deletes everything and sends them to another app that they don’t know is another app.

Anonymous

which is funny because smartphone software, apparently geared for turbonormies, overall represents the most confusing user experience given its apparent lack of usability research

Anonymous

great """hot take""".
      take it to twatter

Anonymous

I cannot live without the hot corner feature

Anonymous

i must remember you scrotebrain that i don’t work in microsoft making systems right?

Anonymous

Mac OS 8.5 was the peak of UI design.

Anonymous

Third world shithole so didn’t use a mac then but hhhhhhhhnnnnnnnngggggggggggg mah heart

Anonymous

damn fine GUI

Anonymous

What the fuck this picture doesn’t have blurry letters when you zoom into it on a phone?? Magic

Anonymous

You are all wrong

UI design peaked in 2010

Everything else has turned more and more to shit since then

Anonymous

Even on my knees I am not worthy of its presence…

Anonymous

This is when it was easiest to use and the most practical. The gloss and animation might have been ugly but if you care about what actually makes a UI good it doesn’t matter.

Anonymous

>The gloss and animation might have been ugly
          but that’s the best part

Anonymous

Anonymous

Why did anybody ever think that desktop widgets were a good idea?

Anonymous

every was just copying mac, and mac did it because they make fisher price iToddler shit and their audience wants giant dumb gizmos

Anonymous

>zoom zooms can’t read analog clock
            Ok, zoomer.

Anonymous

dude there are two clocks on screen, what’s the point
              if you use only analog, then it either covers up other windows or it itself gets covered up, in which case you either gotta hide windows to check the time, or use the digital clock, in which case you might as well not use analog

Anonymous

I kneel.
          I do like 7’s show desktop button tho.

Anonymous

You are all wrong

UI design peaked in 2010

Mac OS 8.5 was the peak of UI design.

curves are ꜱoy

Anonymous

You’re preaching to the choir here. I was just too much of a coward to post Vista

not a fan
          i thought vista looked better, but it’s still got nothing on win2000, os9, beos or icewm

I will never understand the fetishism for blocky gray on gray UIs

[…]
          […]
          curves are ꜱoy

All the more reason to use curves everywhere

That looks exactly like present-day Xfce. You could probably make a theme for that

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/mCPqFH0.gif

> blocky gray on gray UIs
            It’s been more a product of its time than anything. When you only have 256 colors there isn’t a lot of room to maneuver. But it’s still obvious that they tried to make them look good in spite of these limitations.

Anonymous

damn was that tree woke af

Anonymous

>I will never understand the fetishism for blocky gray on gray UIs
            They’re simple, don’t use a ton of resources (*cough* aero *cough*), and they just look nice

Anonymous

>nobody replying to PROSTATE before your king
          my sides are in orbit

Anonymous

take the tiling window manager pill

my thoughts exactly kek

You are all wrong

UI design peaked in 2010

aero was good but probably more resource intensive than a default GUI should be

Anonymous

I KNEEL
          i hate condensed taskbar icons

Anonymous

Same, it’s always the first thing I turn off whenever I install a new OS. It’s straight up form-over-function

Anonymous

Aero is obviously and objectively the best design. So sad that they changed it just because it is easier to draw flat simple shapes.

Anonymous

they designed it with microsoft powerpoint, remember?

Anonymous

I liked aero but I hated how it would either crash or windows would, without asking, switch you over to non-aero version just because of something you were running, perhaps as simple as launching an old game that didn’t play nice with vista/7

Anonymous

not a fan
        i thought vista looked better, but it’s still got nothing on win2000, os9, beos or icewm

Anonymous

nothing even comes close and nothing ever will, this is the user interface of the future.

Anonymous

God W7 was great. Apex windows design. I want to go freaking back man.

Anonymous

W7 is garbage. Whilst it did make a handful of improvements, it also ruined the UI is horrific ways. The most notable example, is the search functionality is 100% useless.

Anonymous

I can agree with that but I can’t remember much else that it downgraded.

Anonymous

Here is one thing about the changes, lots of them are subtle, you don’t quite realize why, but everything seems more difficult then you remember, you keep making weird mistakes that you don’t understand, your efficiency is in the toilet.

One example of a small change is forced sorting. When you rename a file in win7 it is instantly sorted into correct place. This is particularly bad when creating a new folder, as it vanishes somewhere when you rename it. It took me months to realize this was happening, all I knew was that something was very wrong.

Anonymous

>It took me months to realize this was happening
                >months
                You’d have trouble use any operating system let alone Windows.

Anonymous

The problem is. I don’t know how exactly how every last detail of the windows UI works. Nobody could know all the fine details. I could not instantly notice something had changed, because I did not ever know how it worked before. It was all instinctual. I had used classic windows for 20 years, it was my first OS. It was my only OS, I grew up with it.

Interestingly, I think win7 might be making me suicidal. I have had constant desires to be dead over the last year. And I have realized that it coencides with moving from 2k3 to win7. And a few times, that I had done something in a win2k3 VM, it feels like a weight is lifted off me. I think using win7 may have put me under a continual stress for an entire year.

Anonymous

>I think using win7 may have put me under a continual stress for an entire year.
                    I think you severely lack any presence of mind. Windows 7 is an outright superior experience to every previous iteration of Windows. If you really want to go back to ye olden days of computing with ultra compact UI (even though it’s a miserable experience at modern resolutions) you should just use Linux.

Anonymous

The hell? Search peaked in Windows 7 and has been an utter disaster in 10 onwards.

Anonymous
                Anonymous

Check your indexing options within Control Panel. You might have to rebuild Windows 7’s search index.
                To speed up the indexing process, open gpedit.msc, go to Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWin ComponentsSearch and (temporarily) set Disable indexer backoff to Enabled so that the indexing service doesn’t pause when it detects any user activity.
                There’s also
                https://web.archive.org/web/20160104164425/http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/advanced-tips-for-searching-in-windows for some advanced searching techniques within Windows (don’t know why MS deleted this page from their website).

Anonymous

Indexing is not my complaint, its the way the search is designed is what bothers me. The search is primitive compared to classic windows where you specify all kinds of parameters, and easily search for file names or file contents. And the way the results are drawn are absolutely horrible, instead of normal details view entries, it produces these ridiculous bloated entries, with rectangles around the part of the file name searched for. It just sucks. It also lacks the ability to do blank searches, a slight abuse of the search functionality, but I would sometimes use it to flatten an entire directory tree so I could see all the files in a directory and its children.

Anonymous

>Every single desktop environment on Linux is completely unusable
                Fake and gay
                https://www.enlightenment.org/

Anonymous

I define usable as identical to win98/2k. This is not even remotely the same as win98/2k hence unusable.

Anonymous

>no t doesn’t fit my hyper-specific idea of what usability is woke af entirely on my baby-duck syndrome
                    I understand you but I still think you’re scrotebrained.

Anonymous

I suppose you will eat the bugs. That nice food you used to like is just baby-duck syndrome, you must embrace the new.

Anonymous

There’s a difference between analyzing a different design and concluding it’s inferior and never trying any other design because it doesn’t fit a hyper-specific definition woke af on your baby-duck syndrome.

Anonymous

After spending 50% of my entire waking life in front of classic windows UI. I don’t think its possible for me to ever fully tolerate any other type of UI. I have spent more time interacting with classic windows then any other thing in my entire life. My entire neurological makeup is optimized solely to operate the classic windows UI, I will never feel complete without it.

Anonymous

That’s called baby-duck syndrome, you can easily get over it. The important part is that you recognize what you were saying is woke af on it, just be honest from the start next time.

Anonymous

win95 had an enormous amount of research put into usability. how much has enlightenment had? in fact, last time i tried to run enlightenment it was a completely broken buggy mess

Anonymous

>shit that never happened
                        Windows 95 had loads of problems back then, so did the kernel, and the interface is highly overrated, a product of a time when resolutions were miniscule compared to today.

Anonymous

IMO it’s gotten worse, at least in terms of functionality. I freaking hate the modern trend of having all instances of a program collapsed into one icon on the taskbar instead of showing each individual window, including text, so I know which one is which. I don’t know how people navigate things like multiple web browser or file explorer windows like that.

And don’t even get me started on Win10’s horrible frankenstein system settings where you have to jump through a million hoops to get to standard options

Anonymous

just use the control arrowkey functions and ignore the alt display

Anonymous

GNOME 3 is unironically better.

Anonymous

early 90s

Anonymous

it was really easy to find everything, i’ll give it that.
        there are definitely things i won’t miss about that ui.

Anonymous

this is what quake was developed on

Anonymous

Anonymous

I really liked the Java Desktop Environment – shame Sun’s gone now and Oracle do nothing but pointlsesly make Solaris proprietary again and let it die.

Anonymous

My uni used this. Exams on computers were done is a special environment running CDE. Very retro overall.

Anonymous

same here. The uni computers all ran solaris during that window of time before sun was acquired by oracle and it became proprietary again

Anonymous

>Web Browser
        SeaMonkey still looks like this today.

Anonymous

I do not care in the slightest what the UIs look like. I’d still be fine with that.

Anonymous

i use Chicago95 with Redmond97

Anonymous

>pixelated icons have more complexity and personality than today’s shit
      I want to go back bros

Anonymous

UI theme should mirror the hardware style and be stored in device firmware.
      Prove me wrong, you can not.

Anonymous

I preferred nt/2000

Anonymous

2000 was absolutely peak aesthetics. I never understood why MS switched to the kiddieshit XP theme where everything looks like it’s made out of playdough, along with those colorful shape blocks for toddlers to try to fit through the right holes.

Anonymous

yeah, 2k didn’t have to try hard at all. it knew it was great and it owned it.
          when XP was released, Server 2003 was still in beta, and as both OSes were built from the same core they both contained the same logos etc
          me edition bonked everything up with it’s gay logo and been downhill ever since
          you can actually see the remnants of xp scrotery on server 2003

Anonymous

>me edition bonked everything up with it’s gay logo and been downhill ever since
            picrel

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/jb9YTlp.gif

> I never understood why MS switched to the kiddieshit XP theme where everything looks like it’s made out of playdough
          They weren’t going to, at least initially.

Anonymous

see

yeah, 2k didn’t have to try hard at all. it knew it was great and it owned it.
            when XP was released, Server 2003 was still in beta, and as both OSes were built from the same core they both contained the same logos etc
            me edition bonked everything up with it’s gay logo and been downhill ever since
            you can actually see the remnants of xp scrotery on server 2003

and

>me edition bonked everything up with it’s gay logo and been downhill ever since
            picrel

they absolutely were going to. Me was the start of the downfall

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/abt53Ik.gif

I’ve seen this image/post before, but it only now hit me. The plastic smell, the dusty room, no worries, stress, social media.. and then there’s this computer screen with games on it and you get lost completely for a couple of hours in fantasy world while mum is making dinner and dad is working outside, coming in here and there to ask you what you are doing and stares in pc screen asking what’s happening. And sometimes even your older cousins came to play and we’d all gather around and have endless time of fun completing different games, didn’t even matter who played.

Anonymous

dont get consoomed by nostalgia please

thank u

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Think I might get back in to ricing i3

Anonymous

GUIs were and always will be a mistake

Anonymous

Looks like shit

Anonymous

Things that are better in Windows 7 compared to Win98:
      1) File chooser dialog is much better. Tree, address bar, preview, etc.
      2) "Programs" part of start menu is better. Instead of fixed-speed scrolling or multi-row mess that’s going out of screen, it’s a sane scroll panel.
      3) … that’s it.

Anonymous

Sounds about right.
        Now on the other hand, if one were to list the ways in which win7 is worse than win98. It might not fit in the character limits of a single post.

Anonymous

One more thing: the "show desktop" button is right at the angle of the screen.

Anonymous

I use openbox, it can literally look like whatever I want.

Anonymous

How did microcuck get away with painting over and reselling windows 95 for 25 more years?

Anonymous

hnng

Anonymous

Still the best looking desktop of that era. Used to run it alongside BeOS because I’m a massive autist, but even I had to give it up when it became clear it was never going anywhere as a desktop OS and then QNX just sort of abandoned Photon.

Anonymous

damn you too eh. in the early 2000’s I used to use windowblind themes to replicate beos because I was so sour about beos dying.

Anonymous

This makes me depressed and ill at the same time.

Anonymous

Previous iteration.

Anonymous

Windows 10 with open shell and the Windows 11 theme files looks pretty good and is functionally more or less the same as Windows 7.

Anonymous

That’s what you get for sticking with Shitdows, they’ve had absolutely no taste in GUI for the last 20 years and have been chasing trends (macOS).
      Linux is the same thing, it’s managed for free, slapped together by a million different people, most of them never heard of any UI rules.
      MacOS is maybe the last modern OS that is visually cohesive and still has proper interface guidelines.

Anonymous

If I wanted to use a dorky toy GUI I can just use Gnome.

Anonymous

Macos was ok, but was ruined with Big Sur, now its just as shit as all the other modern trash UI

Anonymous

THIS

I’m a diehard KDE guy but I adored every single iteration of the Mac OS gui before Big Sur.

All of them evoked a sense of wonder and excitement but Big Sur looks like someone trying to design a tablet for grannies.

Anonymous

>UI rules
        >yes control everything harder, daddy apple

Anonymous

>no UI rules

Anonymous

MacOS went to shit though, it looks like an iPhone version of Samsung’s Dex

Anonymous

flatshit

Anonymous

look again scrotebrain, it has more depth than OPs image

Anonymous

looks like shit

>noooooooooo it’s changing woke af on context and not showing the exact same options no matter what help me gentooman

pic extremely related, then
            the problem isn’t different options on each menu, the problem is that there is no consistency in appearance because each one uses a different oh freaking why am i explaining this to you
            have a nice day AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Anonymous

Yes, menus have different options and appearances woke af on the context they’re needed/used in. How is this difficult to understand?
              >noooooooooo it has to be identical no matter what because… because it just does ok

Anonymous

this looks like garbage

Anonymous

MacOS went to shit when they replaced traditional title bars with those goddamn header bars.

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpdpO_rPTz8

>windows ninety-five
      >you’re long gone but I’m still alive

Anonymous

I like it when icons actually meant something instead of just being some random scriblings whose sole purpose is to look "minimalist"

Anonymous

I like how mac looks

Anonymous

I wish that 3d UI became a thing. I wanna browse through my computer the same way you would in cyber space.

Anonymous

there was a 3d desktop alternative to explorer.exe called BumpTop. It was seriously cool. Looking at it wow, they went open source

https://bumptop.github.io/

Anonymous

sometimes I dream about a desktop environment where all data is represented in a 3D VR space
        sockets and pipes appear as lines connecting processes, files and folders are on the "floor", to read them I just pull them "up" with an editor process
        not part of the dream but it’d be kinda cool to use tools like physical objects, to read a file you point and aim a gun at the floor and it pulls the data into a flat window, rotate a selector switch and point the gun at a file, then a process, and it pipes it there

Anonymous

> Windows 11
      What’s up with the centered icons?!

Anonymous

they want to be Android for some scrotebrained reason

Anonymous

No one wants that to happen.

Anonymous

Microsoft does

Anonymous

Everyone in that company is absolutely freaking stupid. UI was never their strongpoint. They should stick to spreadsheets.

Anonymous

Too many visual designers with time to kill.

Anonymous

all the desktops in this thread look the freaking same, just different graphics
      they all go like
      >bar with apps
      >windows to represent those apps
      >some scrotebrained extra shit

where are the experimental paradigms? this is all so freaking boring

Anonymous

I need window snapping, auto tiling, and simultaneous window resizing support.

Anonymous

BlueCurve forever.

Anonymous

Desktop widgets were the future, and it was stolen by meaningless passage of clouds.

Anonymous
      b1scu1t

I am surprised no one posted the greatness that were the BricoPack theme mods for Windows XP. The Vista Inspirat (pic related) and CrystalXP (KDE 3.5 clone) Bricopacks were god-tier.

Anonymous

For me, it’s the Vista Inspirat 1 Pack,.

It was my first transformatiuon pack and it was mindblowing to see the changes from the stock XP with some Longhorn/Vista Beta touches here and there.

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id