Thoughts on portable batteries for your electric car ?

Home Forums Science & tech Thoughts on portable batteries for your electric car ?

• This topic has 55 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

thoughts on portable batteries for your car ?

Anonymous

trucks should be powered by lithium ion batteries

Anonymous

trucks will never be electric due to road weight regulations

Anonymous

In the UK trucks will be able to use overhead electric cables and will only run on batteries in cities and towns. On the main roads there will soon be overhead electrification for trucks and buses

Anonymous

we all know UK is utterly scrotebrained but are they seriously gonna go trough and butcher trucks to trolleys ?

Anonymous

If only we had a truck that had many trailers attached to it and it could draw power from overhead electric cables.
            That would be I good idea. Why is nobody thinking of this.

Anonymous

What’s the point of that when this already exist?

Anonymous

>the electric revolution UK-style is inventing trolleybuses again after the whole world shifted away from them
            Incredible.

Anonymous

there’s so many electric trucks in europe already dude, but I will admit the usual distances are shorter and charging station coverage denser than in usa

Anonymous
            Anonymous

cab-overs are superior in every single way. euro truckers also cant drive truck over 14 days in a month by law.

Anonymous

Hit a deer and then tell me that. Also aerodynamics and engine access are much better on a conventional truck. Cab overs are much better at driving narrow euro streets while conventional cabs are much better driving open American highways.

Anonymous

The weight of the batteries is nothing compared to the truck itself let alone the load.

Anonymous

Simply not true, Current li-ion/li-po batteries are an order of magnitude behind gas/disel in terms of specific energy. That and the fact that charging a battery takes significantly longer than filling a tank with gas means that Electric trucks not only have much shorter range (300-500 miles, while disel trucks can reach upwards of 2000 miles), but also have a longer recharge time. And if you want to increase the range you either have to add more batteries (weight) which will either eat into your cargo capacity or increase the size of the truck, which has diminishing returns.

Anonymous

Truck drivers can’t drive 2000 miles without sleep and there is a lot of weight savings from the lighter engine, lack of transmission and better brakes, truck transmission are insane.

Anonymous

>Truck drivers can’t drive 2000 miles without sleep
                Ehhh knowing a few truck drivers it’s not impossible to fake the logs (in their cases because they’re independent) and either way it’s not uncommon for drivers to team and take turns. Either way the current driver range is twice what Tesla hopes to achieve. It’s progress but it’s unrealistic to expect electric trucks to significantly impact long haul trucking for the foreseeable future.

Anonymous

recharge times can be eliminated if the entire industry opted for easily swappable battery packs. But instead we get the massively scrotebrained designs known as structural batteries where the battery itself is part of a load-bearing part of the vehicle (basically the chassis). Once the battery dies, the vehicle essentially becomes useless.

Anonymous

Most transports are limited through volume and not by weight.
          Also, it is literally one regulation away to subtract battery weight from total weight.

Anonymous

I think we’ll see hydrogen trucks in the future. It’s the only place hydrogen really makes sense. Larger vehicles for more protection of the hydrogen tanks and hydrogen is 3x the energy density of diesel. They can actually be lighter than a diesel cab and go further than one on a tank too

Anonymous

hydrogen charges up really slowly though, not as slow as batteries but enough to be a problem, also the only viable way to make gas stations carry the stuff is to setup local production.

Anonymous

What about exchangeable hydrogen cells?

Anonymous

could be, but I think there is a culture and liability barrier when it comes to fuel cells in general, like how LGP returnable cylinders are wildly popular OUTSIDE of America.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/mreRlgj.gif

Hyundai already rolling out an hydrogen truck. It never began.

Anonymous

hydrogen cars are DOA and have been for a while

Anonymous

Wrong-o buddy battery electric truck will never work

Anonymous

Hydrogen is great, except for the explosion risk. I’m not sure if I want it on roads.

Anonymous

There is no hydrogen though. It can’t be produced, it can’t be transported, it can’t be stored and consuming it requires batteries and super expensive Platin as catalyst.

And by "can’t" I mean in an efficient way.
            Production loses 60% energy in terms of electricity, transport requires either cooling, or bringing it to high pressure or both. And then the volume you can transport is still quite low, despite the huge amount of energy you just put in to compress the gas.
            And this compression you have to do again and again everytime you move the gas to another storage container, so at least 4 times(production, transport to gas station, the gas station, your car).
            And then it is stored in some gas tank and poof it moves through every material because H2 is so small it just moves through everything.
            So your nice H2 car will be without fuel in 1-2 months if not used by just standing around it uses up your fuel lol.
            You can also get just a constant current out of your cell. So you have to use that power to charge a battery powering an electric engine.
            So you basically drive an electric car with extra super wasteful steps.

While everything of that has been a solved issue for electricity. Production is on demand for peaks, transport is the power grid, storage is your large battery in the car or a house power cell or peak power plants.
            And every step is highly efficient. Transport and storage loses around 5% of energy and not like 80% and the infrastructure to do that already exists.

Anonymous

>J-Just w-wait hydrogen will work s-soon!
          Says increasingly nervous man for the seventh time this quarter.

Anonymous

[…]

We should work on freaking small turbine motors to charge our cars more efficiently.
        IMAGINE A SEMI WITH A SMALL TURBINE CHARGING THE BATTERY UP WHILE TRUCKER IS IN A REST STOP.

Anonymous

>HE DOESN’T RUN A CHINOOK APU TO CHARGE HIS ELECTRIC TRUCK!

Anonymous

god if only there were some sort of energy dense liquid fuel we could use to power a vehicle.
      I’m honestly waiting for trucks to just start going to way of trains.
      They just run generators to power electric motors.

Anonymous

yep, moving power plants – apparently direct combustion doesn’t cut it for a huge train

Anonymous

They need the instant 100% torque.

Anonymous

I have a Tesla but I always have one of those Honda generators in the trunk and 5 gallons of gas just in case.

Anonymous

what do you do once the gas goes bad? seems like a hassle

Anonymous

I imagine he has a barbecue on his induction hot plate

Anonymous

you can buy cleaned and stabilised gas like they use for small engines that sit around for long periods

Anonymous

I don’t see batteries on a trailer taking off
      But I do see the possibility of ICE generators supplementing power.

Not a new idea I’m sure but I got inspired by looking at certain drag race compilations thay require hundreds of miles of street driving to get from track to track.
      This is impossible for electric cars so they are basically locked out from these compilations (save for maybe a Tesla with SC)
      You’re allowed to tow a small trailer for gear and tools and the idea was to have a 30-40HP equivalent generator to keep the batteries topped up on the highway.

You really don’t need much energy to sustain highway speeds so you can get away with something quite small

Anonymous

trains already work sorta like that
        i honestly don’t know why we aren’t making diesel-electric semi trucks already. that’d be a huge boost to efficiency right from the start, using technology that’s already basically mature.

Anonymous

>i honestly don’t know why we aren’t making diesel-electric semi trucks already
          That’s gonna be what happens eventually.
          Going straight from ICE to BEV is stupid and jumping the gun. The only reason we are seeing shit like the F150 lightning is because of Tesla, it’s not a true ICE truck replacement for anyone but is just a clapback.
          As hybrid trucks like the Ford Mavrick get on the road enmass and acquire miles I expect Ford to offer hybrid powertrains on actual heavy duty trucks that do work.

Dodge is doing something similar but with Jeep wranglers

Anonymous

Right now the cost comparative tech is plugin hybrids like the ioniq.

Anonymous

>i honestly don’t know why we aren’t making diesel-electric semi trucks already
          It’s more efficient to drive the wheels directly. The reason trains do it is for gearing purposes. That’s also true for trucks; it’d be more efficient to have a diesel-electric so the engine could run at a constant speed than working through a dozen gears with the engine speed changing, but once the truck gets to a stable velocity it’s more efficient to just drive the wheels directly. Trucks have enough gears to run at optimum efficiency at a few speeds. It would be better for city running, but most tractor-trailers drive mostly on the highway. And hybrid trucks are more common in cities (like buses). For similar reasons, hybrid cars perform much better fuel economy wise in cities than freeways. On a freeway the hybrid hardware is dead weight.

Anonymous

trains (anything communal) doesn’t work when there are scrotes

Anonymous

Solar panels will make this tech obsolete in the next 5-10 years. The problem is they only produce a few kWh of power per day and require an outrageous amounts of surface area which only makes them viable for the most lightweight low speed EVs that can carry a single passenger and nothing else.

Anonymous

My battery is portable. There’s just 0 need to move it.
      My family doesn’t share batteries between the cars since it is very inconvenient.

Anonymous

What is the power density and charging time for battery tech compared to filling a diesel tank at ~40MJ/Kg?

Anonymous

Fuel cells are the future. Either hydrogen if you live in a civilized place where it’s feasible, otherwise just use ethanol. With ethanol you wouldnt even need to build new infrastructure.

Anonymous

What about using ammonia as a hydrogen carrier?

Anonymous

Ok maybe you can solve some issues with handling.
        You will never get over the chemical reality of physics that you will lose at least 50% of the energy when you create H2 from H2O.
        But it will never be 50%, it is closer to 40% and you have to constantly replace your kathode and anode material. They slowly get used up during the process.
        Research should be in cheaper, bigger batteries that last longer, but this is possible already. Especially if you just have to beat the 50% mark you could build all kinds of batteries.
        But in reality modern batteries get over 95%.

Anonymous

Ammonia is an option as fuel cell too, but it isnt cheap to produce ammonia.
        I still think ethanol is a better option.
        Batteries make a car very expensive

Anonymous

scrotebrained as fuck. eventually the weight of the fuel will kill your mileage til it’s negative.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id