The whole Linux scene is a shitshow for anyone who wants some kind of macOS replacement

Home Forums Science & tech The whole Linux scene is a shitshow for anyone who wants some kind of macOS replacement

• This topic has 69 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

The whole Linux scene is such a shitshow for anyone who wants some kind of macOS replacement. I’ve used Linux for several years before realizing how much time it wastes and stress it causes

No distro is able to fit 3 parameters. Stable, fast, and not-shit-design. Ubuntu just got slower and uglier. Elementuary OS is unstable and slow. There’s almost no reason to use Linux from day to day

On macOS I have a sensible and polished OS that works and looks nice out of the box. It’s not as fast as it could be but does the job. With Linux this doesn’t exist. If your distro works it probably looks like shit from 20 years ago. Fanboys will argue that it’s your job to spend hours customizing it to something not ugly. With macOS I get UI designed by people who have even the smallest sense of style

If you have a problem with a distro it’s your fault for not knowing everything. It works on myachine so that means it should work on yours automatically and you’re doing things wrong

There is no one Linux OS. There are multiple shitty attempts. If the community focused on one distro we could have something on par with macOS. But nothing can compete because the casual user isn’t in mind. It’s made for people who want to spend hours tinkering with broken parts that keep breaking

It’s funny how a lot of people just argue macOS sucks and Linux gives privacy. I’m practically trading my computer for a toy using Linux. If privacy even is that real on Linux, it’s the only asset it has. It can’t compete with macOS. I don’t even have to argue that macOS has software and games against Linux because that would be murder by freaking words

Anonymous

How can you even work on electrobloat on a potato spec mac?

Anonymous

>Stable
      >Fast
      >Non-shit design
      Use KDE+Debian

Anonymous

>KDE
        >stable
        >fast
        been using it for years and it’s anything but that. I simply don’t give a damn and I refuse to get accustomed to something new after all this time.

Anonymous

I assume you haven’t used it in year since then? Seems stable and fast enough for Valve/Steam to use it on their upcoming handheld.

Anonymous

I wouldn’t know what Steam is doing, but I moved away from KDE somewhere in late 2019 and settled for xfce DE and so far I have no complaints.

Anonymous

>I refuse to get accustomed to something new
          This is your average MacOS user.

Anonymous

why would you trade something usable out of the box with shitdows or loonix

Anonymous

works on my machine

Anonymous

works on my machine.

Anonymous

>stable
      lts
      >fast
      trolling
      >not-shit-design
      It’s literally the design you make lmao

Anonymous

KDE Neon just works

Anonymous

I do enjoy linux mint. Pretty cozy.

Anonymous

nice and modern just how i like it

Anonymous

cringe

Anonymous

>babby mode distro
        just go back to macos scrote
        stop larping

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

linux mint is good and youre just traumatized

Anonymous

>linux mint is good
            good one

Anonymous

>zero argument just vibes

Anonymous

>waaaaaa!!!! you aren’t running asmerogona linux where you compile everything from source and then turn it into a binary and then break it down into source before you install a desktop environment!!!

not everybody’s a tinkerer, and most people just want something that they don’t have to worry about. quit being a fuckin elitist over operating systems

Anonymous

>not everybody’s a tinkerer
            why are you on LULZ?

Anonymous

Works on my machine, sorry you got filtered.
              your fault for not knowing
              >f your distro works it probably looks like shit from 20 years ago
              I wish my desktop worked this well and looked this nice 20 years ago, On the other hand macOS’ desktop does feel like a desktop form 20 years back, with some fancy visual effects and styling slapped on top.
              >people who have even the smallest sense of style
              But no sense of functionality. GNU/Linux is simple by default and powerful when needed. macOS is simple by default and that’s it. A simple OS for simple minds.
              >it’s your fault for not knowing
              Yes. There is documentation. You should read it
              >there is no one Linux OS
              Which is expected, the kernel is only one part of a functional operating system.
              >the casual user isn’t in mind
              Good, since when is expecting users to know what they’re doing a bad thing?
              >trading my computer for a toy using Linux
              And i’m trading mine for a brick when using macOS, this garbage doesn’t support anything in my computer besides my NIC and video card. What a joke.
              >macOS has software
              GNU/Linux has all the software I need.
              >macOS has games
              If all you play is angry birds and whatever else ARMshit is meant for, sure. Anything beyond that requires emulating x86 and running direct3d on top of vulkan on top of metal.

>TL:DR
              OP is a scrote as usual, of the mac variety, no less. Take your fruity toys and GTFO.

I’ve been a full time programmer for 5 years and cannot imagine using GNU+Linux for my 9-5. A couple times a year I check in on some distros with some spare laptops I have and every time it’s an awful experience, like regressing 20 years of personal computing developments.

It’s a shame, too, because macOS has increasingly gotten worse since apple seems to care less about it, focusing more on iOS.

OpenBSD really is the only good OS remaining but I need to buy the EXACT correct hardware for everything to work ootb. Maybe I will once I need a new machine or if macOS continues to go down the shitter.

Anonymous

>OpenBSD really is the only good OS
                stopped reading
                2/10

Anonymous

you were building a solid case for the first two paragraphs, everything else is just archaic reiterated bullshit

Anonymous

werkz on my machine
      didn’t read

Anonymous

Unironically popOS. It has a uniform and decent out of the box look while being stable since it’s woke af on ubuntu. It’s also nice to have an ISO version pre-bundeled with Nvidia drivers. Most DEs are memes besides GNOME if you want a "it just werks" replacment for Win/MacOS enviroments. Even though it’s compareably slower than most of the other gazillion DEs, even the big ones like KDE/XFCE, it can actually handle multiple monitors and scaling properly.

Anonymous

>poopOS
        >good

Anonymous

works on my machine

Anonymous

installed Ubuntu last week to replace Windows 10:

>recovery partitions were damaged despite no message or warning that other partitions will be affected other than specified ones
      ok not so bad, after all why would I need recovery when it just works!?

>torrenting doesn’t work out of the box, needs 30 minutes of tinkering with settings and .config files
      >Steam doesn’t work out of the box, needs 2 hours of tinkering with settings and .config files
      >for some reason programs acquired through apt can be additionally acquired through Ubuntu Software, both versions breaking each others functionality
      >for some reason purged programs still leave packages behind
      still not so bad, after all now everything is set up and I’m good to go!?

>start movie
      >black colors are so black I can’t see what’s going on
      >sound is so quiet I can barely hear anything
      >troubleshoot problems
      >only find very old solutions, needing tinkering with .config files and acquiring new packages
      >at one point says ‘apt autoremove’ is recommended
      >autoremoves packages that were required by NVIDIA drivers
      >now dedicated graphics card doesn’t work
      >reacquire drivers, functionality is there but X Server still doesn’t offer same settings as before
      >movies are still unwatchable
      oh well, at least everyday operations will go smoothly, right?

>try to access second hard drive for my everyday files
      >it actually needs to be mounted every time I want to use it
      >programs don’t remember file locations of mounted devices, have to manually direct it every time
      >ImageMagick is now the default image viewing program, never installed it myself, how did it get here??
      >Ubuntu Software needs 5-10 seconds for literally any action
      >get ‘headphone connected’ message that blocks the login button every time after wake up despite not having headphones or speakers attached
      >get ‘volume control’ window open at the center of the screen every time when adjusting volume during a movie (not that I can actually watch one)
      seriously fuck this

Anonymous

macOS doesn’t have these loonix problems

Anonymous

>getting filtered
        >this hard

Anonymous

Gnu+Linux distributions will never be accessible this way for normal people, even IF all those issues are fixable

the Steam Deck launch will be a giant shitshow and it will be glorious

people think they’ll get a console that can play video games out of the box?? LMAO I doubt it
        looking forward to Valve finally crashing and burning

I know but I have/had a second Windows machine because I love gaymen and now that Steam is going to release their Steam Deck I thought maybe MAYBE Gnu+Linux is ready for me using it to casually browse the web, watch movies and play games. apparently that’s too much to ask

Anonymous

if google could maje linux wirk why cant valve?

Anonymous

>people think they’ll get a console that can play video games out of the box?? LMAO I doubt it
          Yeah, that’s the whole point of it and the results of a decade long effort made by Valve to make this joke of an OS a viable alternative to Windows.

Anonymous

>>torrenting doesn’t work out of the box, needs 30 minutes of tinkering with settings and .config files
        >>Steam doesn’t work out of the box, needs 2 hours of tinkering with settings and .config files
        Can you name some of these supposed config files and settings you changed in this story that totally happened? I’m dying to know.

Neither does Linux, this is a made-up story.

Anonymous

You are scrotebrained, there are tools to use that just work. You are too stupid to look at the repos to find them.

Anonymous

Have you tried fedora, anon?

Anonymous

*tips fedora*

Anonymous

I agree with you, the only usable Linux experience is xfce, kde can sort of pass if you’re okay with rebooting daily/weekly and the weird bugs kde comes along with. Gnome is only for those who use just a web browser and maybe one other app, its also perfectly usable for Linux YouTubers which is why gnome gets so much praise online but honestly the only real usable and perfectly stable environment is xfce at the end of the day, yes it looks like trash by default but you can easily theme it ( just make sure to pick good themes so you don’t get weird black text on black bg or white text on white bg – me personally I use the adwaita themes since they are the most consistent / usable / bug free.)

All in all though, kde/gnome/twms are all memes and most people who want to work actually use xfce.

t. an anon who’s been using Linux as his primary OS for 8 years.

Anonymous

>muh "not-shit-design"
      That’s your problem. You fell for the memes. A fully-pozzed integrated GUI experience is unfeasible in the FOSS world. It’s too much work, because such things are bullshit piled upon bullshit. It requires constant maintenance from a team of professionals, like the body of a post-op chud. It is at odds with the essence of the computer. It is a sandcastle made of sand.

Anonymous

What’s the most stable UI that has a file picker in linux?
      Xfce? I dont care about ricing, if it looks like freaking windows 98 I dont care either.
      I just want an UI stable, fast and with basic features such as a file picker, search, and a menu where I can put shortcuts

Anonymous

Kde, it even has thumbnails on the folders.

Anonymous

kde isnt stable though

Anonymous

Well I’ve been using it and it works on my machine.

Anonymous

Btw I think the krash meme comes from Manjaro.

Anonymous

If you don’t give a fuck about aesthetics then yes, Xfce

Anonymous

Have you tried filing a bug report?
      :3

Anonymous

Works on my machine, sorry you got filtered.
      your fault for not knowing
      >f your distro works it probably looks like shit from 20 years ago
      I wish my desktop worked this well and looked this nice 20 years ago, On the other hand macOS’ desktop does feel like a desktop form 20 years back, with some fancy visual effects and styling slapped on top.
      >people who have even the smallest sense of style
      But no sense of functionality. GNU/Linux is simple by default and powerful when needed. macOS is simple by default and that’s it. A simple OS for simple minds.
      >it’s your fault for not knowing
      Yes. There is documentation. You should read it
      >there is no one Linux OS
      Which is expected, the kernel is only one part of a functional operating system.
      >the casual user isn’t in mind
      Good, since when is expecting users to know what they’re doing a bad thing?
      >trading my computer for a toy using Linux
      And i’m trading mine for a brick when using macOS, this garbage doesn’t support anything in my computer besides my NIC and video card. What a joke.
      >macOS has software
      GNU/Linux has all the software I need.
      >macOS has games
      If all you play is angry birds and whatever else ARMshit is meant for, sure. Anything beyond that requires emulating x86 and running direct3d on top of vulkan on top of metal.

>TL:DR
      OP is a scrote as usual, of the mac variety, no less. Take your fruity toys and GTFO.

Anonymous

lmao, a wall of text of 100% SEETHING

Anonymous

woke af, keep the itoddlers seething, friend

Anonymous

interesting argument, but reddit spacing

Anonymous

I’m sorry to hear that you’re scrotebrained. Have you considered suicide?

Anonymous

>They are coming

glhf with these scrotebrains

Anonymous

tl;dr
      OP could have used all the time he spent on writing that post fixing all his linux problems and implement HDR support with the spare time left.

Anonymous

Unironically fedora + gnome just werks

Anonymous

I believe this is bait.
      But I’d like to answer your thread nevertheless.
      I think there’s a lot of bad designs in GNU/Linux, but it’s a community non-profit driven thing (generally).
      Sure, it’s not an excuse to put out a subpar (sometimes) product, compared to other things in the market.
      But also, there is all kinds of people, some people have the time to tinker with their computer, and some people enjoy it too.
      There’s really nothing inherently wrong with being fascinated with technology, yes even the silly things about configuring and stuff, really do make you learn in some shape or form.
      And honestly as a Linux user I find nothing wrong with using Windows at all, in fact, I simply encourage it, since it’s the user the one that matters on that decision.
      At the end of the day, if you’re gonna complain about this, you should try encouraging some change in a constructive manner, not posting on some anonymous board.
      Serious people do things, ignorants simply talk, think, and end up doing nothing.
      And to be honest, despite feeling ashamed of it, I am the latter kind of person.

Anonymous

meds

Anonymous

this blog is gay, how do i unsubscribe?

Anonymous

Your problem OP, is you expected Windows interfaces on a free system that people put their personal time and effort into. Rather than bitching, get off your covid-timebomb ass and make something. Contribute. Be the change you want.
      It’s easy to criticize, harder to actually do.

Anonymous

>No distro is able to fit 3 parameters. Stable, fast, and not-shit-design
      Then install stable and fast distro and change desktop environment to whatever you like?
      You are using Linux, you can customize it you know?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id