Tech industry hiring practices are questionable at best

Home Forums Science & tech Tech industry hiring practices are questionable at best

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

The industry hiring practices NEED to change.
      We’re leaving valuable people behind.

Anonymous

who cares. software engineering is completely oversaturated. they can easily find someone else with better credentials.

Anonymous

This, software engineering/programming has become what happened to lawyers in the late 90’s early 2000’s. Complete over saturation of candidates so companies can have absolutely inane hiring practices.

Anonymous

This, software engineering/programming has become what happened to lawyers in the late 90’s early 2000’s. Complete over saturation of candidates so companies can have absolutely inane hiring practices.

This is definitely not true. I’m assuming neither of you actually have jobs in software because if you did, you’d know that companies are short in engineers/talent.

Anonymous

>you’d know that companies are short in engineers/talent.
          This guy is clearly trying to apply to a FAANG company, in which case they are most definitely not short in engineers or talent.

Anonymous

>FAANG
            It’s scroteMAN, scroteman

Anonymous

Skimming through the job ads is all I need to know.
          Same old bullshit, 5 years experience, degree in computer science, etc…

Anonymous

something tells me he is not applying to a random computer on the street corner

Anonymous

Checked

It’s work but it’s not a job, Anon.
            Big difference.

A billionaire only needs to ‘work’ 1 month out of a year.

>its work but its not a job
            No what the fuck they should be retiring early they shouldn’t be working they made it!!!!

Let me fill you in on something. The pursuit of wealth never ends.

Maintaining a professional activity but without the constrains of a normal wagecuck life. Like doing shit that you like without worrying about money at the end of the month, and being able to do shit you want anytime.

>no not being a neet
            >being a neet with a professional activity
            See above.

Anonymous

>shouldn’t be working they made it
              I said "work" because technically everything is work depending on how you define it.

Maintaining a healthy relationship with your wife
              Maintaining your estate and finances
              Staying in shape
              Typing a shitpost on LULZ
              It’s all work.

By your logic, retiring means you shouldn’t have to do literally anything because you made it and don’t need to work at anything anymore. Just lay on the couch and don’t even think.

Anonymous

No not by my logic.
                I’m not saying that retiring means you just abandon all of everything including thinking.

I’m pointing out an obvious fact. Wealthy people don’t just walk out of their jobs when they make it. The pursuit of wealthy is endless. Just look at wall street.

Anonymous

>Wealthy people don’t just walk out of their jobs when they make it.
                  And I’m saying that they’re essentially retired because the work they do is negligible. They aren’t innovating or banging away at a keyboard to churn a product out.

At that level it’s all investments.

Anonymous

Warren Buffet still does the same job as before just on a higher level.

And I’m not trying to say I think the guy is a billionaire, just that he could be and likely is conventionally wealthy and its not weird for someone with any wealth to seek employment.

Your house can always be bigger. You could always have an extra car. Your wifes tits could be bigger. His dream may not be "live on his investments and code in his free time"

Anonymous

>any work that’s not my mundane drone grind is negligible
                    The state of wagie cope.

Anonymous

This, real men go to hardware.

Anonymous

That’s not even close to being true. It’s true that there’s a gorillion code monkeys around, but there’s even more companies needing said code monkeys to work on their project. The ratio is even more skewed for more skilled software jobs (other than webshit). We’re fare from saturation.

Anonymous

If that were true I wouldn’t see threads on LULZ daily from some anon complaining about not being able to find a job after graduating from cs

Anonymous

Because most of LULZ is even below code monkey status and only has ricing skills, which is not useful in a corporate environment.

Anonymous

>ricing
              >literally just editing some config files
              thats not even programming

Anonymous

My point exactly.

Anonymous

>generated billions in revenue for companies

what a wagecuck.

Anonymous

Woke af Ahmed. Algorithms are for scrotes. Nothing a cursory Google search can’t solve.

Anonymous

If you’ve got 6 years of experience, and you cannot solve an algorithm challenge, it means that you’ve been making piles of rubbish code and mountains of technical debt to kill your startup from going anywhere.

Anonymous

>Your actual on the job experience or level of education doesn’t matter
        >The most important thing is that you can solve whatever random leetcode problem HR found and that the interviewer likes you
        >Thats the way that google does it so thats how my startup should do it too

Anonymous

> and you cannot solve an algorithm challenge
        so you should be able to solve every single algo challenge thrown at you on the fly at any given point and time? I don’t think there’s a single person on the planet that can do that. it also doesn’t freaking matter. someone who specializes in solving those type of problems doesn’t mean they’ll be a good programmer.

Anonymous

Hard disagree, the ability to write readable code and following an architecture, and the ability to solve algorithm challenges are two different ones.

Anonymous

This so much.
        How much of a code money you have to be to be unable to write binary search or invert a linked list.
        >inb4 it’s not real life problem
        It’s about your general skill in programming. Just because you’ve memorized everything there is to do in maintaining some shitty obsolete Java service that "makes billions of dollars" doesn’t mean you are a good programmer.

I blame it on all the zoomer "coders" that went on React course and think they are big thing. Barely any of them have any actual skill in programming, they all believe it’s only about learning language and few frameworks.

Anonymous

>unable to write binary search or invert a linked list.
          you can just memorize those things too. the point isnt that you can do it. it’s that you understand why you’re doing and how it works at a fundamental level.

Anonymous

You can memorize, but it’ll fall short if you will be asked to explain and/or do some modifications.

https://i.imgur.com/8PnkI4U.gif

>unable to write binary search or invert a linked list
            It’s funny that your idea of algorithm challenges is the basic stuff that’s memed among neets in here.
            >Just because you’ve memorized everything there is to do in maintaining some shitty obsolete Java service that "makes billions of dollars" doesn’t mean you are a good programmer.
            IRL the opposite is true. Nobody cares if you’ve memorized all the obscure algos in TAOCP. People are willing to pay for someone who can actually fix concrete shit, not navelgazing pseuds who think their B in undergrad complexity theory puts them just one notch below von Neumann and Ritchie.
            >Barely any of them have any actual skill in programming, they all believe it’s only about learning language and few frameworks.
            The future is now, pretend old man. People who import is_odd drive cars that cost more than your house and fuck prime pussy, while you discuss Plan9 architecture with wannabe 1337 h4xx0rs on tranime websites.

>It’s funny that your idea of algorithm challenges is the basic stuff that’s memed among neets in here.
            It’s not my idea, I’ve only given an example of typical recruitment tasks.
            If I were to came up with these stuff, I’d use some variation of them though.

>Nobody cares if you’ve memorized all the obscure algos in TAOCP. People are willing to pay for someone who can actually fix concrete shit,
            Yup, that’s literally my point.
            Memorizing some random frameworks/algorithms/methodologies is worthless. They need people who can actually analyze and solve new problems when they see them, not just what they’ve memorized during courses.

>The future is now, pretend old man.
            I’m mostly likely no older than you.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/8PnkI4U.gif

>unable to write binary search or invert a linked list
          It’s funny that your idea of algorithm challenges is the basic stuff that’s memed among neets in here.
          >Just because you’ve memorized everything there is to do in maintaining some shitty obsolete Java service that "makes billions of dollars" doesn’t mean you are a good programmer.
          IRL the opposite is true. Nobody cares if you’ve memorized all the obscure algos in TAOCP. People are willing to pay for someone who can actually fix concrete shit, not navelgazing pseuds who think their B in undergrad complexity theory puts them just one notch below von Neumann and Ritchie.
          >Barely any of them have any actual skill in programming, they all believe it’s only about learning language and few frameworks.
          The future is now, pretend old man. People who import is_odd drive cars that cost more than your house and fuck prime pussy, while you discuss Plan9 architecture with wannabe 1337 h4xx0rs on tranime websites.

Anonymous

You can memorize algorithms to, you don’t need to be special

Anonymous

>We’re leaving valuable people behind.
      and that’s a good thing

Anonymous

>webshitter
      >valuable

Anonymous

if he’s so successful why does he want to wagecuck?

Anonymous

>react & node.js
      any "expert" webshitter can be replaced by an indian that does it for 80% less because the end result is the same crap.

Anonymous

I’m a self taught webdev(react) and next week I will have my first interview for a remote job I’ve found on Upwork, I’ve never had an interview in English before (I’m a thirdworlder, not India tho). I guess my english is pretty decent, but I’m kinda nervous and I don’t want to drop my spaghetti. Should I study leetcode or review my knowledge in React?

Anonymous

Btw this was posted by node.js on their LinkedIn page so this dude is right. Algorithm challenges are total bullshit.

Anonymous

>$billions in revenue
      This is what webshitters actually believe

Anonymous

If it were up to me I’d take a popular node module and cut some random parts and make them fix it.
      You can’t bullshit your way out of that.

Anonymous

everybody can solve leetcode, you just have to spend 3 months on studying that garbage. But you can also work for IBM or something, they don’t have hard coding challenges
      >t. IBMer

Anonymous

>company has difficult coding interview that I studied hard for
      >succeed and get hired
      >spend the next 2 years of platform work that requires almost no coding, almost entirely sending emails and updating configs

Anonymous

Stop applying to scroteMAN? Lots of companies don’t require this bullshit. But if you’re applying to scroteMAN you should expect to not be a complete scrotebrain if you want to work there. They have insane wages for a reason.

Anonymous

>They have insane wages for a reason.
        Every tech company in SoCal has insane wages compared to every other normal job

Anonymous

> generated billions in revenue for companies

What a loser!
      If you can generate BILLIONS for companies, why can not you generate at least MILLIONS for yourself?
      A total B.S from a useless scammer.

Anonymous

It’s easier to generate a lot of money for an established company that already has a huge market than try to make something from scratch by yourself. in fact unless its ground breaking revolutionary shit, your chances are slim of anyone even seeing it

Anonymous

>software engineer
      >react nodejs
      lol.. just lol..

Anonymous

>Software "engineering"
        MY SIDES

Anonymous

>generated billions
      we do live in the age of narcissism holy shit
      get off your freaking high horse

Anonymous

I wouldn’t hire some baldie muddie proud of having bought his bosses’ last 10 yatchs and swiss chalets either.

Anonymous

People complain about this but the solutions is easy.

Just study for 3 months, you can even take time off to do it and make up you wanted to travel for a bit. We’re getting paid enough where it’s reasonable to stop working for a period and just go do shit.

Anonymous

Or study on the job so your skills stay sharp.

Anonymous

That’s a fact ya hurd

Anonymous

>knows js and react
      >something they teach in boot camps to people that have never even used a computer in their life
      >doesn’t know anything cs, math or engineering related yet calls himself an engineer
      >thinks he deserves to work at x company
      freaking stupid scrote honestly enrages me

Anonymous

ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING CHADS GET IN HERE

Anonymous

The average leetcode interview is scrotebrained, he’s right.

Anonymous

to be fair i get overwhelmed and freaked out when i’m told to do a challenge and can’t think right
      or i’m really used to doing something my own way and they expect me to solve it in a specific way, even though my way works just as well

also if he has all that experience he should just do his own thing at this point

Anonymous

>All those doctors and engineers we’re missing out of because of some arbritary letter we call grades

Anonymous

Proven medical error is 3rd leading cause of death though…

Anonymous

They don’t do algorithm challenges because passing them means being good, they do them because passing them means you’ve spent a huge amount of your free time doing what they want you to do before you even started working for there. It’s to filter for people with slave mentality.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.