The crash is happening. Sell everything. Are you ready for GPUs to become more affordable?

Home Forums Science & tech The crash is happening. Sell everything. Are you ready for GPUs to become more affordable?

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

The crash is happening. Sell everything. Are you ready for GPUs to become more affordable?

Anonymous

[…]

scrotebrain

Anonymous

lol you’re delusional if you think amd/nvidia/intel are going back to 2020 pricing.
      i’m on the border of giving up and about to buy a switch instead.

Anonymous

lol don’t scrotebrain i’ve been considering selling the damn thing ever since i got it

Anonymous

This. Even if the demand goes down, the next generation will have the current prices as MSRP, because idiots proved that they are willing to pay this much.

Anonymous

Consoomers sealed their fate by giving in and buying their PS5s and GTX 3000s from scalpers at 220% the MSRP. Now for the next 5 years they’re gonna be watching every site with bots that automatically put the whole stock in their cart and buy it before poor saps have the chance to even get an email or text that it’s in stock. I’m a poorscrote with an i5 and 1070ti who’s burnt out on video games, so I don’t really care either way.

Anonymous

>PS5s
            scalper tax is 10% here for the disk edition

Anonymous

>i’m on the border of giving up and about to buy a switch instead.
        You mean networking hardware, right? You aren’t actually a manchild planning on buying a children’s device

Anonymous

Playing video games on a PC makes you an adult?

Anonymous

makes you a teen, instead of a child.

Anonymous

I own one. It can be fun at times but at the end of the day you’re playing games on some 15w tdp GPU from 2017. Price drop from then is £20. It’s really not a good deal. Add a pro controller on top of that because joycons are cheap freaking garbage.

Anonymous

No

Anonymous
      Anonymous

no im ready to starve to death because the food market crashed

Anonymous

>He isn’t self-sustaining.

Anonymous

You do realize people are just going to buy crypto like crazy leading to another boom, right?

Anonymous

>He thinks GPU prices will ever go back to "normal"
      >He thinks the bull run is over

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/O9F8cHk.gif

1080ti’s are going for nearly $1000 lmao
      I got mine for $300 last year

Anonymous

I honestly regret not buying more 1080Ti’s when I had the chance. They were going for as low as 200€ for a day after the announcement.

Anonymous

I regeret not getting into bitcoin when it was a few cents.

Anonymous

You would sell it when it was few dollars and still regret it. The only way normie would profit from crypto is to lose password for account, and then accidentally rediscover it when BTC was at few hundred dollars.

Anonymous

Not him but I have a wallet for doge coins containing possibly millions of them if not more. The password was a long long rant about garden gnomes. I keep it as a memento for my scrotebraination for not writing my passwords somewhere safe.

Anonymous

Sounds like you are in need of services of hacker named "LULZ", my friend

Anonymous

Lol no he bonked up big time

Anonymous

>GPUs to become more affordable?
      With all the chip shortages? Nah
      GPU price being < Profits will be always true for a looooooooooooooong time, even if it crashes hard

Anonymous

There’s no shortage, GPUs are getting dust on shelves because nobody wants to spend 800€ on a 6600xt, you can go to any retail store and buy whatever GPU you want right now, be it you’re wanting to pay 300% the MSRP.

Anonymous

Are people eating their GPUs? Who keeps buying them at these prices?

Anonymous

Scalpers, because they know bitcoin miners will buy them at those prices, and they do, because bitcoin is too good. Well, it’s trash, but cultists gonna cultist.

Anonymous

Never underestimate how scrotebrained the average user is. I’ve been holding two friends back from buying a new PC for about a year now but they """need""" it right now.

Anonymous

It’s a privilege to buy at these prices! In case you haven’t noticed, there’s a chip shortage right now and companies are struggling. We ought to support them as much as we can!

Anonymous

gb2reddit

Anonymous

why does that guy have a laptop with him everywhere?

Anonymous

better question is why is he out on an ice drift with no coat or anything

Anonymous

that’s not ice that’s salt I think

Anonymous

Imagine the stock crash after ETH goes PoS.

Anonymous

You’re a big investor

Anonymous

its a legitimate prediction
              nvidia and amd won’t just lose the immense buying pressure at any price they have now
              they will also have to compete with 15-20million used miner GPUs flooding ebay
              its going to be a slaughter

Anonymous

Which is why its in their best interest that mining never crashes.
                Now you know why it won’t.

Anonymous

they don’t control the crypto market
                  nor are they going to abduct ETH devs
                  grow the fuck up, we’re talking about a 2trillion dollar market and billion dollar corporations
                  its not a shitty hollywood movie

Anonymous

>you don’t control the market that runs on your hardware
                    lol
                    even if they dont control it they can strongly influence it
                    it is in the best interest of both amd and nvidia and their every client and shareholder that their stocks dont crash
                    don’t be naive

Anonymous

they can’t influence shit
                      what do you think will happen exactly?
                      nvidia will drop a few billions of its profits to buy ETH?
                      a publicly traded company?
                      wtf are you smoking

the only thing they can do is make real LHR cards that don’t mine at all
                      and then sell dedicated mining cards
                      the only reason they didn’t is because crypto is historically transient
                      you get a bullrun and then 6-12 months later it crashes down to 20-30% of peak
                      so it didn’t make sense to make a new hardware revision for something that will go away

Anonymous

>He still thinks PoS is still happening with all this money at stake

Anonymous

the people making the decision are the ETH devs
              they are holders, not miners
              and going POS benefits holders
              because they can make free money by staking their coins
              and because it will remove the selling pressure from miners who have to recoup their hardware and electricity costs
              so ya, it will happen

Anonymous

Yeah I’m sure it’ll benefit them alot, that’s why they’ve been delaying it since 2019

Anonymous

it obviously benefits them
                  i think i explained why very simply
                  the delay is due to the need to get the details perfect in one try
                  if the upgrade is somehow faulty and the chain corrupts, it could tank the value of the coin

Anonymous

I think the prices for graphics cards will likely stay high and crypto currencies will raise in retrospect to this. Or maybe crypto will crash due to inflated prices of the future.

Anonymous

there was an interesting analysis on r/ethermine
      not directly about gpus & prices, but about the estimated future profitability of mining
      anyone who isn’t here for shilling/flaming should have a read, its well made:
      https://old.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/pu9elq/total_mining_profit_until_20_chart_update/

the TLDR is that ETH is ~95% of total GPU mining income
      ETH will go POS, at which point GPU mining is ded
      we are already well past the point where buying GPUs for mining is smart
      sure, its profitable in the sense that you make more ETH than you spend on electricity
      but accounting for resale value and other things to do with the money, its not a good idea anymore
      and hasn’t been for a few months now

the chances that ETH devs don’t push POS are quite slim
      POS benefits holders at the expense of miners
      holders can earn money for free by staking
      and the selling pressure miners induce goes away, boosting the price
      and ETH devs are holders, not miners

i also want to add that in the (very unlikely) scenario that nothing major changes in ’22
      so, no POS and also no crypto crash,
      we will almost certainly see nvidia and AMD doing some real market segmentation
      they are already doing it with Quadros and Teslas and whatever AMD calls their workstation/ML offerings
      why not overcharge miners blatantly and sell LHR cards to gamers to maintain that market against consoles
      remember, the LHR thing was a patch onto an existing design
      if the whole crypto thing goes on, it will be a hardware thing

Anonymous

GPU mining hasn’t really been viable at large scale unless you pay cents per kwh or straight up steal the power needed to run your cards.

Anonymous

i wish
          ETH is still very profitable
          even now you can make close to $10/day on a 3080 mining ETH
          the profitability is going down fast, due to the difficulty rising and EIP-1599 burning fees
          but its still profitable even with expensive electricity
          ofc the large industrial mining operations are using cheap electricity in 3rd world countries, but whatever

Anonymous

Well like the post you linked also said you can make much more speculating on ETH than mining it so what’s the point?

Anonymous

there is no point anymore
              people still buying cards are noobs
              the time to buy cards and mine was back in ’20
              people buying now will probably lose money

Anonymous

>sure, its profitable in the sense that you make more ETH than you spend on electricity
        need to spend money while gaining money = liquidity
        pos = stagnation, death

Anonymous

the point of that paragraph was that its profitable
          but not smart
          ya, you make 20 bucks a day and spend only 3 for electric
          but if you do the math on what the card costs, what it will likely sell for after POS comes, how much you will mine until then, etc
          its pretty obvious that you will either lose money
          or at the very least lose money compared to just putting it in some index fund
          so its not smart anymore
          especially compared to buying in mid/late ’20, before prices got insane, before the bulk of the bullrun had occured, before difficulty skyrocketed

Anonymous

Why stop at LHR? Make them zero hash rate. As soon as the card recognizes the eth mining algo, it just locks up and requires a restart for function again. No other way to stop people from mining.

Anonymous

ya, that’s what i expect will happen if GPU mining somehow doesn’t die soon
          i think nvidia and amd know very well that this is not sustainable
          not just in the sense that its not in their interest to abandon the gamer market
          but in the sense that GPU mining will die, one way or another
          historically, crypto has always crashed after a major bull run
          and historically, GPU mining always gets eaten by ASICS
          in the present, ETH is ASIC resistant, so the efficiency gain is not as huge as it is with BTC ASICS
          but anyway, it doesn’t matter
          GPU mining will die one way or another
          so it doesn’t make sense to invest in hardware level blocks that will solve the issue permanantly

Anonymous

ETH miners will just fork it and ETH Classic will continue doing what it always did.

Anonymous

Only problem is nobody uses ETH classic and nobody will use fork once 2.0 is rolled out because it is superior in every way.
          Cost of Classic will not become 20x to make it profitable to mine, it has nothing on chain worth mining it.

Anonymous

every single ETH ASIC in existence right now will switch to ETC after POS hits
          i doubt even ASICS will be able to make a profit then
          but even without the ASICS, it doesn’t matter
          ETH is 95% of all GPU mining revenue
          unless the rest of the GPU mineable coins do a literal 20x the income will drop massively

Anonymous

As long as the crash happens after my 3080 pays for itself

Anonymous

Guy doesn’t seem to mention it, but the difficulty is also set to double roughly in early december assuming the total compute stays about tthe same. So unless the price of ETH doubles everyone will take a huge hit regardless, even with that alone and without POS it would probbaly destroy all but "free" electricity miners.
        >the chances that ETH devs don’t push POS are quite slim
        That chance is actually 0%, the only question is when. Likely january 1 or early 2022 if they kick the can a little down the road.

Explain me how the collapse of crypto will make entry-level affordable GPU more affordable considering neither Nvidia or AMD even makes them anymore? I don’t care if I can buy RTX for 300$, that’s massive overkill for me already.

Used cards will likely be very cheap. combined with intel’s low priced cards, 2022 should be great.

Anonymous

If mining becomes unprofitable then no one mines, but mining is how transactions are verified and therefore if no one mines then transactions can’t be processed, right? And if you can’t exchange your shittokens then they’re worthless, right?
        Am I understanding this correctly?

Anonymous

no quite
          if mining becomes unprofitable, people stop mining
          clearly, spending $10 of electricity to get $9 of coins is dumb, you can just buy the coins directly
          so people stop mining, the difficulty drops, and profits rise
          eventually the market balances after enough people have stopped mining
          obviously, the people left mining in the end are those with the cheapest electricity and most efficient equipment

but for the purposes of gamers, once ETH goes POS, we’re good
          at least 90-95% of all GPUs currently mining will end up being sold off
          and we’re talking like 15-20 million cards mining currently
          so when all those cards get sold, ebay is flooded, prices drop to below MSRP, gamers rejoice

Anonymous

>15-20 million cards mining currently
            15-20 million cards which have been ran overvolted and overclocked to squeeze last drops of profits before selling, which require 700+ watt PSU to operate, and which have driver support dropped left and right to clear space for next generation of cards.

Also etherium will never go pos, the swines will just keep postponing it forever.

Anonymous

How are second hand mining cards?
            I assume running them overclocked for 24hr/day isn’t great for their longevity

Anonymous

In my experience similar to a baked gpu. Dead in a month.

Anonymous

Even back when they used gaming GPUs, they ran them underclocked because that’s where the optimal energy usage was.
              Nowadays they use custom ASICs, which makes this entire thread moot.
              Nobody is using PS5s, Series Xs, or cars chips to mine crypto. This is driven by the supply chain distribution because of COVID still hitting China harder than they’re publicly admitting, and you’re all dumb enough to believe the cover story.

Anonymous

>ETH mining spikes when Nvidia releases ampere
                Yeah, it’s the quarantine measures in chinese manufacturing plants!

Anonymous
                    Anonymous

bitch i will straight up buy a prebuilt to get a 3080

Anonymous

>I still feel it’s largely a
                    >scapegoat for supply chain issues
                    its not a scapegoat, its the only cause of the GPU shortage
                    notice that no other PC components are affected
                    sub-msrp 5600x has been available for months
                    to be fair, covid alone would’ve had some effect too
                    but a much smaller one
                    intel CPUs for instance never got overpriced at any point during covid/lockdowns
                    the squeeze was entirely on GPUs due to crupto
                    and for a while AMD CPUs too
                    because they shared the same node as consoles and AMD GPUs

there is a supply chain issue, but its affecting much older nodes
                    chips used in cars/home electronics/industrial stuff
                    those chips don’t use TSMC 7nm/Samsung 8nm or GDDR6(X) ram

Anonymous

>There’s supply shortages for everything, even in your fantasy world where crypto did not exist, you still wouldn’t have a 3000 series card
                      No, the actual "Covid Tax" on electronics is about 20%-30% tops. The only other consumer electronics that has increased in price is the RAM, which right now is 20-30% higher (but RAM is also affected by crypto, BTW, and I don’t write off price fixing, since RAM manufacturers are happy to do that and have been doing for years if you remember 2018 RAM prices). But that’s still not 220% higher than MSRP. 850-1000$ for 3080 would be ok for me, but not 2200$.

Woke af factposters BTFOing the cryptoshill.

Anonymous

>its not a scapegoat, its the only cause of the GPU shortage
                      >notice that no other PC components are affected
                      Explain why consoles are permasold out everywhere then. Even Xbox which apparently no one needs. Everything which can run games, i.e. it has a graphics chip is sold out. Obviously it’s GPU vendors fuck up.

Anonymous

consoles are always sold out/scalped for a few months when they first release
                        southpark even had 2 episodes on the subject 😀
                        and there’s extra demand due to covid/lockdowns
                        and there’s extra demand due to GPU shortage pushing PC gamers to console
                        and AMD is not making any extra chips for them because they are printing money with their TSMC allocation going to CPUs/GPUs
                        i expect the console shortage to be permanantly fixed once AMD moves their CPUs/GPUs to a newer node

Anonymous

>few months
                        Its shaping up to be few years
                        >and AMD is not making any extra chips for them because they are printing money with their TSMC allocation going to CPUs/GPUs
                        It’s not how the deal with console vendors works. They can’t just casually walk out of it because they saw something more shiny.

Anonymous

>Its shaping up to be few years
                        this time with covid and crypto, it may well end up being a year or more before steady msrp supply

>t’s not how the deal with console vendors works. They can’t just casually walk out of it because they saw something more shiny.
                        thats my point exactly
                        they are making exactly as many chips as their contract dictates
                        normally they’d make more to take advantage of extra console demand
                        but due to covid and crypto they are selling every GPU chip they make regardless of price
                        so making more GPUs is better than making more console chips

Anonymous

The scalper tax on consoles here is 35%. The GPUs are like 2x-3x the MSRP, except 3080Ti, some of which are 1.5x the MSRP.

Anonymous

>There’s supply shortages for everything, even in your fantasy world where crypto did not exist, you still wouldn’t have a 3000 series card
                    No, the actual "Covid Tax" on electronics is about 20%-30% tops. The only other consumer electronics that has increased in price is the RAM, which right now is 20-30% higher (but RAM is also affected by crypto, BTW, and I don’t write off price fixing, since RAM manufacturers are happy to do that and have been doing for years if you remember 2018 RAM prices). But that’s still not 220% higher than MSRP. 850-1000$ for 3080 would be ok for me, but not 2200$.

Anonymous

BTC is mined only with ASICS
                ETH is still very profitable to mine on GPUs
                but ETH ASICs exist and are being rolled out
                because the ETH algo is supposed to be ASIC reistant,
                the efficiency gain is MUCH less than it was for BTC
                so it’s not going to be as fast to replace all GPUs
                realistically, it’s more likely that ETH goes POS or crypto goes into a bear market
                before ETH ASICs manage to kill GPU mining ETH
                but if somehow the miners avoid both POS and the bear market, eventually ASICs will push them out

Anonymous

How are second hand mining cards?
            I assume running them overclocked for 24hr/day isn’t great for their longevity

in general, miner cards are better than used gamer cards
            miners usually underclock their cards, not overclock
            and generally speaking, running at a constant load 24/7 is better for equipment than variable loads
            staying hot is better than cycling between hot/cold

the exception is the 3080/3090
            the fast GDDR6X vram does tend to get super hot
            and most of those cards had poor thermal pads for the vram chips
            mind you, the miners usually replace the thermal pads because overheating limits the hashrate, but whatever
            anything else should be fine, and certainly healthier than equally old gamer cards

tldr: avoid used 3080/3090, everything else is super safe buy

>15-20 million cards mining currently
            15-20 million cards which have been ran overvolted and overclocked to squeeze last drops of profits before selling, which require 700+ watt PSU to operate, and which have driver support dropped left and right to clear space for next generation of cards.

Also etherium will never go pos, the swines will just keep postponing it forever.

>Also etherium will never go pos, the swines will just keep postponing it forever.
            the DEVS decide if it goes POS
            and the DEVS are holders, not miners
            and POS benefits holders
            so it will go POS
            because the DEVS want to make money
            and they don’t give a rats ass about miners

Anonymous
          Anonymous

you and the other anon were thinking of BTC
          that is indeed not profitable anymore with any GPU
          check whattomine.com
          ETH mining is profitable even in very expensive electricity countries like western EU
          you can make like $7-8 a day on a 3080

Anonymous

And ETH itself is valuable, and thus appealing to miners, because BTC’s high price is keeping the crypto market alive. Every coin depends on BTC not dropping to single digit $.

Anonymous

>posting tranime
          >being clueless

Pic related. Most of those GPUs still have less than 1 year ROI, even electricity included.

Anonymous

Why are you assuming it is all going to be done done for ETH? If eth goes POS people are just going to start mining any of the other dozens of well known cryptos or hundreds of lesser known shitcoins and tokens.

Anonymous

because ETH provides ~95% of all GPU mining revenue
          if ETH goes POS, all the GPUs mining right now will only get 5% as much income as they do now
          so, unless the GPU mineable alts do a literal 20x, ETH going POS is the end of GPU mining
          as far as gamers wanting GPUs are concerned, ETH is the only crypto that exists in the world

Anonymous

etc almost makes as much money as eth mining, several coins are profitable to mine right now

Anonymous

I think ergo will be big, I am accumulating it. It has some smart contract stuff and is proof of work, is trying to advance proof of work. I think miners will be interested in it.

Anonymous

>bought 2070 super for 400 yuros less than 2 months ago
      >tfw now they go for 650 yuros again
      pulled the trigger the second the price was reasonable, with warranty of course

Anonymous

Man I feel lucky I got my 3070 on launch day

Anonymous

>that feel when you evolved past the need for modern games in 2017
      >that feel when you still ended up with a 1070
      I pity all the gayming wintoddlers

Anonymous

>he STILL thinks cryptos are the reason for GPU prices
      LOOL

Anonymous

>is compeltely scrotebrained

if the GPU shortage/pricing was due to anything other that mining, it would affect other PC components
        and it doesn’t
        i can get a sub-MSRP 5600x right now
        from multiple shops
        and i could have done this for at least 4-5 months now

the only component other than GPUs thats gotten more expensive is SSDs/HDDs
        which is due to Chia mining
        and the effect is much smaller because Chia is much less popular than ETH

the real shortage issues affect industrial chips
        the sort that go into cars and refrigerators and stuff like that
        those chips dont use TSMC 7nm/Samsung 8nm
        or GDDR6(X)

Anonymous

>it would affect other PC components
          >and it doesn’t

Anonymous

what other components are affected, you scrotebrained hobo cumstain?
            literally only GPUs are overpriced

Anonymous

Which PC components can you not get at msrp right now aside from GPUs?

While it’s nowhere near as serious for CPUs, AMD’s low-end CPUs (R3 and below) are either nonexistent (for Zen 3) or significantly overpriced.

Anonymous

thats a direct effect of the GPU situation
                it doesn’t make sense for AMD to waste 7nm wafer capacity to make cheap CPUs
                when instead they can make more GPUs to sell to miners at inflated prices
                once the crypto stuff dies down, i expect Zen3 R3s to roll out

Anonymous

Which PC components can you not get at msrp right now aside from GPUs?

Anonymous

CPUs because of shortage. There are the intel i3s tho that seem to be stocked well. AMD is a lost cause for getting a cpu or gpu from them for msrp

Anonymous

In bongland the 5600x has been below msrp for months now.

Anonymous

In many places outside America too, AMD seems to be one of the few companies that actually ship their shit to different regions at once instead of sending everything to America first.

Anonymous

>if the GPU shortage/pricing was due to anything other that mining, it would affect other PC components
          >and it doesn’t
          Yes, you have demonstrating you are in fact "compeltely scrotebrained". Thank you. 🙂

Anonymous

waitbros.. we won

Anonymous

crash of what? lol scrotebrain

Anonymous

I got a gt 1030 for dirt cheap in 2019 and now it’s worth twice what I paid USED. I might just sell it now.

Anonymous

I for one welcome permabans for crpyto posts in LULZ

Anonymous

>crash
      >bitcoin still at 42k

Anonymous

Yeah I just made huge, massive gains on the recent Iridium surge. I diversified my profits and then reconsolidated my Iridium holdings once the prices finally fell and I’m back to hodling my IRD.

This kind of shit is only going to keep happening. We’ll see depending whether things like Celo and Stellar Lumens start becoming as popular and widely adopted payment as doge(lol), bitcoin, eth etc. and then because of basic need and economics is probably going to end up replacing shit like Western Union and wiring money overseas through that bullshit expensive and slow international banker system.

Now that everyone and their grandma is interested in crypto expect yet another surge with RDNA3/Lovelace launch.

Anonymous

It’s not about crypto or some shipping logistics problems, it’s about the west descending to third world status and the basic things we took for granted (eg, home ownership) becoming unaffordable to average Americans.

Anonymous

Graphics card are expensive everywhere though
        Believe me I’d be reselling them in bulk if they werent

Anonymous

oh haha, what’s this? just going to print a billion tether and scamwick us back to 50k

Anonymous

Don’t care, who needs gayming when you can go outside and have fun in a civil war?

Anonymous

Explain me how the collapse of crypto will make entry-level affordable GPU more affordable considering neither Nvidia or AMD even makes them anymore? I don’t care if I can buy RTX for 300$, that’s massive overkill for me already.

Anonymous

If we’re lucky, Intel will service the poorscrote market segment Q1 next year

Anonymous

Well I tried using integrated Intel GPU, and ended up buying GT 730. Intel driver support is worse than AMD.

Anonymous

This. What the fuck happened with the low end gpus?

Anonymous

They stopped making them. According to my calculations, GPU vendors make 4 times more per square mm of wafer selling high-end than low-end, and they simply don’t give a shit about low-end market. Maybe when and if consoles return to MSRP they will be forced to make cheap cards to compete. Or maybe because TSMC become the only fab in the world GPU vendors only can have tiny portion of monthly wafers, and they would rather spend it on cards with best payoff.

Anonymous

Fascinating. I was always left with the impression manufacturers made more money from the low end market than the enthusiast one as I remember overclocking and even soft modding rebranded high end chips in the early to mid 2000’s. I guess I’m just too old and gotta get used to the great anal reboot.

Anonymous

You can fit 300 of 200mm squared chips on wafer. That’s 300*150=45,000$
              Or you can fit 80 600mm RTX 3090 chips. That’s 80*1500=120,000$. Both cost same to produce on TSMC. Ofc Nvidia only makes RTX 3080/3090 as long as there’s apparently unlimited market for them.

Anonymous

in the present situation, making low end is a waste of time/resources
          long term, one of 2 things will happen
          either the vendors abandon the < $300 segment because they don’t want to compete with used previous gen on ebay
          or they decide there’s still money to be made and they go after it
          it’s worth noting that historically, the sub $300 segment accounts for like 80% of sales
          to gamers, that is, miners are a different story altogether
          it really depends on whether the gamer market grows or not
          if the total number of gamers is stable, then there will be enough used previous gen GPUs to go around
          and those used GPUs will drop to whatever price they must to be sold
          if the market grows, there is still profit to be made and the vendors will go after it

Anonymous

>it’s worth noting that historically, the sub $300 segment accounts for like 80% of sales
            Yes, because high end graphic cards were sold at around $300 maximum. The prices inflated quite a lot in ten years.

Anonymous

well, you if look at steam hardware survey, the dominant cards are the 1060, 2060(super), 480, 580
              the 1080s, 2070s, 2080s are all WAY lower popularity

Anonymous

Well you see, an APU with 20% of a 1050 Ti’s performance is completely fine for gaming and it’s not like manufacturers really want that objectively largest market for home user GPU sales as proven by all forms of statistics. Completely normal. Why would anyone sell 100 million $200 cards when they could be selling 50 $3000 cards? You can’t argue with the math.

Anonymous

APUs and iGPUs have gotten good enough to more or less remove the necessity of x10 and x30 tier dedicated gpus. The only reason I bought a cheap 1030 for my media center tower is because the woefully outdated i7 6700k’s iGPU couldn’t pipe 4k at 60Hz. Otherwise, especially since CUDA encoding doesn’t exist for the 1030, there’s no other reason I’d need or use it.
          NVIDIA put out the 1650 and 1660 cards for low-end after the 2xxx series came out, so that covers the bill there.

Anonymous

those are "i need more screens for work" graphics cards
            not gaming GPUs
            when the person you replied to mentioned low end, he meant stuff like the rx560/70 and gtx1650/60
            those are indeed entirely absent in the newest generation, at least price-wise
            imo the 6600xt would be a $250 gpu absent the crypto nonsense

Anonymous

You freaking idiot. Even a $150 dGPU is magnitudes stronger than APUs/iGPUs, the only people who game on the latter are cursed people who envy the dead.

Anonymous

This. What the fuck happened with the low end gpus?

just buy cpu with integrated graphics

Anonymous

the prices won’t go down until eth switches to pos

Anonymous

the miners arent the main problem.

Anonymous

There isn’t a single other computer component that gains value after being used lmao
        What is the problem?

Anonymous

Yea, because nVidia,Intel and AMD don’t like money…

Look, once you let cat out of the bag, it’s really hard to put it back…

Whole point of RTX30#0 series was that Jensen would give back to PC gamers what with RTX3070 for as low as $499(coincidentally the price of PS5/XBONXSXS)…

AMD is selling RX6600 in 2021 for…500$?? And RX6600 is basically RX580 with updated drivers…

Anonymous

>And RX6600 is basically RX580 with updated drivers…
        Not even close. 5500XT is roughly on par with 580, and 6600 is much more powerful than taht.

Anonymous

>The crash is happening.

This freaking thread is made every couple months and nothing changes..

Anonymous

true
        but the matter will be resolved one way or another
        either now or later
        nothing lasts forever
        either crypto will crash into a bear market
        or ETH will go POS
        or ETH ASICS will kill profitability of GPU mining
        or Nvidia & AMD decide they can’t let the PC gaming market die and do a proper LHR implementation with 0% hashrate
        one way or another, it will be resolved
        my money is that crypto crashes before anything else, a bull market longer than a year is unheard of in the space
        and afterwards POS gets pushed to kill everything off for good

Anonymous

It’s $10,000 higher than it was 2 months ago and you’re saying a crash is happening?

Anonymous

[…]

Anonymous

This is the new normal. The demand is so high, just like with the dating market. Eventually it will crash, but we have a LONG time before we’ve hit the peak. We are a long ways to the peak.

Anonymous

everyone else can take one for the team and buy one, either it drops or i spend my money somewhere else.

Anonymous

itsb not a crash china has banned all transactions involving crypto

Anonymous

Daily reminder that btc price is controlled by only one thing: The Halving Mania. Btc will stabilize at 37-40k, and stay there-ish for 3 years. Then, come next halving, the peak will be between 200-300k, and the prices will stabilize at 100-150k. This will hold unless there will be a massive illegal innovation. (New kind of untracable drugs market, groundbreaking black market money making innovation like drugs were…)

Anonymous

yeah roght, tell that to my local retailers. i’ll have to survive until the steam deck arrives i guess

Anonymous

>crash

Anonymous

You know the stonks market is about to crash too, right?
      There’s also the global chip shortage, China cuts power consumption (fewer factories working), inflation.
      GPUs will never be cheaper.

Anonymous

I have bad news for you:
      https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL

The private FED money printer going BRRRRR had the effect of strongly diluting the real value of your $.
      The price didn’t go up that much.
      You just became poor like someone from China.

Anonymous

it’ll bounce back up one more time at least

Anonymous

Basically the greedy retailers were selling to miners and scalpers but on the other hand they provoked the actual chip factory to raise prices.
      They are also freaking everyone else selling games like Sony since they won’t sell as many games when nobody even has the hardware for them. What hopefully happens is that major retailers get boycotted by everyone they fkcked over and have to liquidate.

Anonymous

inflation is already in affect. tech is getting hit hard. don’t expect old GPU prices to be back. the small drop in price we had briefly 3 months ago is the bottom.

Anonymous

I got one for 400€ last year too

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.