The Alexiad

Home Forums History The Alexiad

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

The Alexiad
      >Continually comparing her father to Julius Caesar and calling the Normans Celts over and over again
      >Stupid sexy Bohemond
      >Pope said something very naughty and I’m not going to tell you because I’m a lady
      >My dad invented everything ever
      Why was she like this

Anonymous

why are you singling her out, it’s a normal thing in medieval chronicles

Anonymous

I imagine her secretely keeping Bohemond printed pillow

Anonymous

I’m putting that in my historical accounts.

Anonymous

I need an artist to make a picture of Anna Komnene hugging a Boehmond body pillow

Anonymous

what’s so odd about it?
        all the contemporary male writers were drooling over Cleopatra too

Anonymous

>all the contemporary male writers
          Name one you brainlet.

Anonymous

Whoever Plutarch was using for sources.

Anonymous

So are you saying Plutarch or do you not have an answer?

Anonymous

We don’t have their names anymore but it’s obvious they existed.

Anonymous

>n-no I don’t have evidence
                  >sorry anon
                  >*shrugs idiotically

Why does this always happen?

Anonymous

How would Plutarch know Cleopatra possessed great physical beauty if he didn’t read such accounts?

Anonymous

By making shit up. Are you saying Plutarch was right about everything?

Anonymous

Well even if that were true then he himself was drooling over Cleopatra and not his sources. What was the point of this whole freaking argument?

Anonymous

To force you to chicken post. You fell right into the classic blunder of historical discussion. If we keep going you will uncontrollably start posting dogs in priest clothes and giant snails waging war on humanity.

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

gigachad

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

So Plutarch’s ass?

Anonymous

Was it a body pillow?

Anonymous
          Anonymous

anna was a redhead?

Anonymous

self-insert by the author

Anonymous

>Pope said something very naughty and I’m not going to tell you because I’m a lady
      I want to go back

Anonymous

They took this from you, now modern women spread their poopyhole open on only fans

Anonymous

How slutty were Byzantine girls?

Anonymous

A lot, given they were surrounded by enuchus and byzantine men, Who were more into the ancient greek tradition of boyfreaking. They were desperate for some actuall testosterone-fuelled men

Anonymous

>They were desperate for some actuall testosterone-fuelled men
          God I wonder what that’s like

Anonymous

Oh, Byzantine women bonked eunuchs all the time. They preferred it, actually, since it let them have "The flowers of marriage without the fruit".

Anonymous

how did the eunuchs get hard? I thought that if you get de-nutted as a child, your testosterone production stops meaning you have a permanent baby dick

Anonymous

You can manage it, it just takes longer to get going
              http://www.mtv.com/news/1836500/game-of-thrones-grey-worm-missandei-sex-eunuch/

Anonymous

is a MTV article about games of thrones the best source?

Anonymous

>Why yes, I do get all of history from MTV, how did you know?

Anonymous

That has to be one of the worst sources i’ve ever seen holy shit

Anonymous

A whole lot of eating pussy.

Anonymous

if St. Theodora is anything to go by, extremely slutty

Anonymous

About as slutty as most women in most places throughout history. For most of the empire’s history women would wear veils to cover their hair and sometimes their face when in public, they generally weren’t supposed to be alone with men they weren’t related to or in a relationship with, and like most premodern women most of their time was spent spinning textiles and looking after young children. Like most peoples in history some of their women engaged in affairs, had premarital sex (it wasn’t uncommon for women to be pregnant when they got married), and were fetishized by and/or looked down upon by certain foreigners.

Anonymous

I have no idea what it’s called but some G*rm wrote a Rape of Constantinople fanfiction decades before the Fourth Crusade

Anonymous

Umm link please

Anonymous
                Anonymous

>It’s Byzantium and friends and I haven’t listened to this one yet
                wtf am I doing. I’ve listened to maybe half of these.

Anonymous

>God, help me fuck the Emperors daughter 100 times in one night. Amen.
                Why are Frankish knights so woke af?

Anonymous
                Anonymous

now imagine he is wearing this and he is going to kill you just like he killed several other armed men you considered big tough guys in your village

Anonymous

Out to get the Greek girls with his BFC

Anonymous

During the fourth crusade, the Byzantine women thought the crusaders looked like angels

Anonymous

>using this propaganda as an example

dude this is the equivalent of getting in a fight with someone and telling them "i bonked ur gf" after you lose

Anonymous

Opened their legs for Franks, Anglo Saxons, Danes, Venetians and Genoese

Anonymous

>calling the Normans Celts
      Nice, care to tell us more about it ? Quotes and references would be nice.

Anonymous

>he hasn’t read the Alexiad

Anonymous

That’s a strong sign he’s not a virgin, so he might make it.

Anonymous

My knowledge of the Byzantine empire is rather limited.

Anonymous

why did you even come into this thread

Anonymous

>you can’t learn about or be curious anything new
              Why do you even exist, have a nice day scrotebrain

Anonymous

The name of France in Greek is still Gallia(Γαλλία). The word Gallia would also be used alongside Francia in Latin at the time.

Anonymous

Anna calls lots of peoples by archaic names in her works

Anonymous

She was a classical era fangirl so it only makes sense.

Anonymous

woke af, sounds like my sort of girl– i also call black people Negros.

Anonymous

All women are whores.

Anonymous

hey that’s my line

Anonymous

you must have a strange relationship with your mother

Anonymous

She was a schizo greek slut who didn’t have daddy issues, a bizarre paradox.

Anonymous

Since Bohemond was nothing but a social climber, I’m pretty he would have been more than happy to marry her. Although I doubt her father would have allowed her to mary a barbarian.

Although Bohemond did end up marrying the French king’s daughter just because everyone became impressed with the stories of his bravery in the crusade.

Anonymous

>Although I doubt her father would have allowed her to mary a barbarian.
        Byzantine princesses were married to Hungarian kings all the time

Anonymous

Magyar had been around for awhile, Normans were upstart newcomers born of mercenary bands in former Byzantine Lands.

Anonymous

And the Hungarians did not go as far as Greece to plunder their lands as the Normans did in the 11th century.

Having their alliance can be understood when you have the Petchenegues on your back.

Anonymous

She also described Bohemond’s father as being handsome

> “This Robert was a Norman by birth, of obscure origin, with an overbearing character and a thoroughly villainous mind; he was a brave fighter, very cunning in his assaults on the wealth and power of great men; in achieving his aims absolutely inexorable, diverting criticism by incontrovertible argument. He was a man of immense stature, surpassing even the biggest men; he had a ruddy complexion, fair hair, broad shoulders, eyes that all but shot out sparks of fire. In a well-built man one looks for breadth here and slimness there; in him all was admirably well-proportioned and elegant. Thus from head to foot the man was graceful (I have often heard from many witnesses that this was so). Homer remarked of Achilles that when he shouted his hearers had the impression of a multitude in uproar, but Robert’s bellow, so they say, put tens of thousands to flight.”

Anonymous

Woke af BAP listener

Anonymous

she was whatever the genderbent version of a momma’s boy is (poppa’s girl?). She adored her father and thought he was the best thing since leavened bread. the entire Alexiad was composed for the purpose of praising her father and telling everyone about how great he was. i don’t think they ever fought over anything and the only possible contention between the two that could’ve existed was the fact tat he didn’t explicitly appoint her as his heir.

Anonymous

itd be cool to be a fly on the wall for alexios/anna/john interactions. she was so buttmad about her sis but by most accounts hes one of the most stand-up emperors ever

Anonymous

Daddy’s girl

Anonymous

thanks for clarifying that, wasn’t sure if that was the proper term, or just something trannies call themselves during ERP.

Anonymous

Daddy’s little princess (in this case literally lol) or

Daddy’s girl

Anonymous

this is literally the only type of book it would’ve been appropriate for her to write

"no I don’t think I’m a historian that’s a man’s job tee hee I just really love my daddy"

Anonymous

wholesome!

Anonymous

she did an obituary at his funeral that was good enough to make up for a f*oid speaking in public

Anonymous

xoxo

Anonymous

>tfw no powerful and cute byzantine gf

Anonymous

be careful what you wish for anon. she’d end-up hen-pecking you to depose her sis and become the emperor yourself(unless you’re actually willing to take the risk and actually do it).

Anonymous

>she’d end-up hen-pecking you to depose her sis
          Then forcing you to nut in her for an heir then blinding you to ruler herself as a regent for your child

Anonymous

>Then forcing you to nut in her for an heir then blinding you to ruler herself as a regent for your child

ha ha wouldn’t that be awful ha ha

Anonymous

this is how you become a blind eunuch

Anonymous

I don’t know who she is or her historical significance but I love her.

Anonymous

she’s Anna Kommena, a Byzantine princess known for writing the Alexiad, a detailed account of the reign of her father, Emperor Alexios.

Anonymous

Literally only famous because the crusades happened in the one year after she was old enough to get horny but before she got married

Anonymous

I mean she’s mostly famous for the Alexiad and her dumbass coup.

Anonymous

Claiming her as my historyfu

Anonymous

>half the Wikipedia is about gender roles in the Alexiad

Only a female >academic could read an interesting book about medieval conquests and focus it on how w*men felt during the events

Anonymous

That’s what I hate about how women authors are treated. It’s patronizing to say that the main value of the writing is in their sex and of course sidelines any actual discussion of the topic.

Anonymous

Yea I don’t like the attitude either. Nobody looks through Livy’s works for anything like that on such a scale and I’m not sure why it should be treated any differently. The Alexiad is a politically charged history, it’s not going to fit within modern sensibilities, there are some things which do fit but it shouldn’t be some all encompassing idea to analyze her work though.

Anonymous

This

The vast majority of material written about Marguerite Porete is by (presumably atheist) women’s studies academics who are only interested in the fact that she was a wahman who got suppressed by men. They have zero interest in WHAT she was saying which is far more interesting

Anonymous

They are treated this way because they are so rare. If you find a source written by a woman, then you have something far rarer than just a general source from the time period, and so the interesting part will be the author as a woman, instead of the topic they’re writing about. This is true for many other things as well.

Anonymous

i’ve had the exact same thoughts when learning about Anne Bradstreet and Phillis Wheateley. i could understand treating some of the works of the former because some of them do focus on domestic life from the view of a wife and mother, but all of her work, and Wheately’s too, get treated like this, and it’s completely insulting. it’s even worse with Phillis too, since you got the racial component in addition to the fact that she was a woman. i remember reading some ode from a black female poet (can’t remember her name) from the 60’s, and this bitch had the audacity to shit on Wheateley, in a poem meant to honor her, because she adhered to a neo-classical style which was apparently too white for this fucker. It just pissed me off like nothing else.

Anonymous

It’s valid in the works of say Jane Austen because it was a big focus of what she wrote along with class issues, but people don’t seem to get that she wasn’t representative of every female author. That’s not to say I don’t like Austen, I think she was a brilliant and witty writer, but she realy did inadvertently poison the well on analyzing the works of female.authors.

Anonymous

Literally made for Big Latin Cock.

Anonymous

Please tell me who is the artist?

Anonymous

Reminder she was an old ugly nun when she wrote this

Anonymous

She was 14 and he was 43 when he arrived in Constantinople in 1097. Everything she wrote about him, she wrote decades later when she was in her 60s. The Alexiad is political cope/propaganda to explain why the Normans were able to be such an issue for the Byzantines as well as laying foundation justifications as to why they’re actually alright and a good buffer for the Islamic world.

Anonymous

I’m not sure if the Byzantines thought that. Anna relates the letter that Bohemomd supposedly wrote to her father after the crusades

> “To you I, Bohemond, famous son of Robert, send this message. The past has taught you and your Empire how formidable are my bravery and my opposition. When I turn the scales of fortune, as God is my witness I will not leave unavenged the evils done to me in the past. Ever since I took Antioch on my march through Roman territory and with my spear enslaved the whole of Syria, I have had my fill of misery because of you and your army; my hopes, one after another, have been dashed; I have been thrust into a thousand misfortunes and a thousand barbarian wars. But now it is different. I want you to know that, although I was “dead”, I have come back to life again; I have escaped your clutches. In the guise of a dead man I have avoided every eye, every hand, every plan. And now I live, I move, I breathe the air, and from this island of Corfu I send to Your Majesty offensive, hateful news. It will not make very pleasant reading for you. I have handed over the city of Antioch to my nephew Tancred, leaving him as a worthy adversary for your generals. I myself will go to my own country. As far as you and your friends are concerned, I am a corpse; but to myself and my friends it is manifest that I am a living man, plotting a diabolical end for you. In order to throw into tumult the Roman world which you rule, I who was alive became “dead”; now I who “died” am alive. If I reach the mainland of Italy and cast eyes on the Lombards and all the Latins and the Germans and our own Franks, men full of martial valour, then with many a murder I will make your cities and your provinces run with blood, until I set up my spear in Byzantium itself.” Such was the extreme bombast in which the barbarian exulted.

Anonymous

>>Stupid sexy Bohemond
      Remainder she wrote Alexiad in a convent at the age of 80. So, meming her as a horny teenager is very r*ddit.

Anonymous

>what is titanic

Anonymous

kek

Anonymous

That just makes Bohemond an even bigger chad

Anonymous

Is she really talking about bohemond when talking about the blonde knights ? I mean if I search up bohemond he comes up as having black hair

Anonymous

>19th century paintings portray reality
        the absolute state of this board

Anonymous

>ywn have a cute, intelligent, haughty and properly filial Byzantine princess GF

Anonymous

A man can dream. Wonder what she would smell like.

Anonymous

anna komnene was probably really ugly

Anonymous

I want Anna….

Anonymous

Me too.

Anonymous

I love her so much bros I have never fallen for waifu shit in my life but bros…

Anonymous

Same, anon…

Anonymous

I love her so much.

Anonymous

How to have sex with Byzantine princess?

Anonymous

You don’t

Anonymous

I could have fixed her

Anonymous

what is there to fix? she already sounds perfect

Anonymous

Proper deposition of her sis

Anonymous

I’m in love

Anonymous

my wife

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id