So do all you guys who use linux just not play games or what?

Home Forums Science & tech So do all you guys who use linux just not play games or what?

Viewing 68 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

So do all you guys who use linux just not play games or what?

Anonymous

I play on my Phone, my pc is used only for productive work

Anonymous

a simple "no" would’ve sufficed

Anonymous

kek, so it’s not ok for linux users to use your campaign tactics huh.
          dumb shill, read the question again.

Anonymous

Grow up.

Anonymous

I use WSL, best of both worlds.

Anonymous

woke af and correct answer

Anonymous

>implying there are any fun games

Anonymous

True, modern games are a cash grab and drained of soul.

Anonymous

Nostalgia addict cope

Anonymous

All my GPU does is mine because video games are shit

Anonymous

This

Anonymous

The only game I play is chess.com on occasion

Anonymous

I don’t even watch movies or listen to music. 2-hours-long film gets stretched to 4-hours-long because I constantly pause it and check opened threads or randomly touch my dick. Anime has too many episodes and I’m afraid of starting to watch it. All I do is shitpost, masturbate and update my ODS spreadsheet where I keep track of my sleeping schedule and how many shitposts I shitted today.

Anonymous

woke af

Anonymous

meh video games are just boring for me now.

Anonymous

Visual novels work fine. Anon do only play vns right anon?

Anonymous

almost all of my steam library is either Linux native or works on wine/proton. not like there’s many good games being released anyway.

I wanna sniff brat ass

Anonymous

i run my games through wine and play roguelikes

Anonymous

What’s the best roguelike anon.

Anonymous

im the best roguelike anon

Anonymous

Do you run on linux?

Nethack

Generic answer tbh.

Anonymous

I like Adventure Mode in Dwarf Fortress.

Anonymous

Nethack

Anonymous

stone-soup.

Anonymous

I have ancient hardware so can’t really game. But I occasionally play OSRS

Anonymous

I dont use linux so I play games on windows

Anonymous

honestly not really i like doing other shit like developing or making music. but whenever i do play a game, i never really have any issues. plus easy anti-cheat is available for linux now so i can do whatever i want when the devs turn it on.

Anonymous

I use Linux to frustrate those that want to use my ‘puter.

Anonymous

I game all the time

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/pS0zPfV.gif

Haven’t played games in so long. Mainly bc we were poor. My father bought us a gameboy black and white when PSP were already out.

I certainly missed on a few things but hey at least I don’t play video games.

I really enjoy old school Mario Bros and Crash Bandicoot though

Anonymous

>do you guys do this thing that’s made for children?
      no, we’re adults, grow up

Anonymous

>t. teenager

Anonymous

As a full time Linux user who spends most of his time on a little old Thinkpad laptop without a dedicated GPU, I don’t always play the most mainstream games (and I wouldn’t if I were on Windows anyways because this computer lacks hardware useful for gaming). However, I do play some games occasionally.

> Sometimes I play indie games with native Linux ports. I like these because they sometimes have interesting mechanics, stories, or soundtracks.
      > Sometimes I play older games that either have a native port, or are super easy to run in Proton/Wine.
      > Sometimes I play free and open source games. They don’t have the best graphics or the best stories or the most resources, but many of them can still be fun anyways. A few of my favorites are Oolite, Endless Sky, OpenRA, and Assault Cube.
      > Sometimes I like to mod the older games I play. I’ve also had a lot of fun with a Doom mod called Hideous Destructor that turns Doom into a slower-paced tactical shooter with a more grounded and believable movement system, a health system where wounds require medical attention and stack up over time to severely hamper your combat effectiveness if they don’t kill you outright, an equipment system where everything has both unique utility and weight as well as a likelyhood to be found again later on in some of the levels so that you choose woke af on preference and your situation what to carry, and believable, unique, and powerful weapons. Meanwhile, the mod manages to still keep plenty of what makes Doom special so that you’re not just playing Military Clone #42069, including the creative enemy variety and personality, the aesthetic and theme of the setting, the emphasis on being able to dodge and juke out attacks while minimizing risk, and even the great performance on simple hardware.
      > There are some more recent and major releases that I enjoy on a more powerful gaming PC I have back home that runs Linux. Namely, Payday 2 (native), Insurgency (native), CS:GO (native)…

Anonymous

Can Warcraft 3 and Call of Duty 2 run on Linux?

Anonymous

Yes of course.

Anonymous

Great. What do I need to do?

Anonymous

I’ve never played either of those two games, but I looked up a guide for Warcraft 3, and I found this:

https://gigi.nullneuron.net/gigilabs/playing-warcraft-3-on-linux/
            It’s a guide for a fairly recent version of Ubuntu, so it’s up to date, although it mainly uses Wine, so this guide should roughly work out for many different distributions, long as they’re fairly recent.

As for Call of Duty 2, I don’t have it, but I do have Call of Duty World At War, and I’ve installed and ran that without any issues just by using Valve’s Proton tools built into Steam, and that game is newer than Call of Duty 2, so I think it should be roughly the same process for the older one. This can be as simple as enabling a setting in your Steam settings page for Proton to be enabled for all Windows titles, hitting the "Install" button for COD as if it were a native title, and then hitting "Play" once it’s done. If you get issues where the game seems to not boot or crash or demonstrate strange behavior, you can google the name of the game and your issue.

Here’s the proton database entry for COD 2:
            https://www.protondb.com/app/2630

Anonymous

Works pretty well usually.
      Games with anti-cheat are the real problem.

Anonymous

Steam is Linux now, didn’t you hear? Are you scrotebrained, OP? It figures, you’re probably scrotebrained if you haven’t heard.

Anonymous

I play games on linux

Anonymous

i play insurgency and rimworld
      like two hours every week

Anonymous

yes i have a rtx 3080 and play tons of games on linux
      i dont dual boot either

Anonymous

checked, chinese shills still pretend that WINE hasn’t been a thing for decades

Anonymous

yeah, but i use glorious eggrolls proton fork
          proton-ge for vidya

Anonymous

Phone & consoles mostly. Also a MiSTER-fgpa for classics.

Anonymous

I only play modded minecraft

Anonymous

lutris just werks

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Let me guess, you need more?

Anonymous

Emulators and the few games that work on Wine do the job just fine. Windows XP VM or 10 Dual Boot for VNs and other shit that doesn’t work or performs bad. Such is my life

Anonymous

what doesn’t run in wine/proton I have a vm for

Anonymous

I do most of my gaming on a hacked console or handheld. That said, I have Deus Ex installed on Mint and it plays fine on my T420

Anonymous

anything with an anticheat that won’t work through WINE I refuse to play.

Anonymous

play games ? with what graphics card ?

Anonymous

you can buy any GPU today from ebay or amazon, not sure what the problem is

Anonymous

No, I don’t. I use my computers for office work, programming, and media consumption. I don’t care about video games. The only "games" I ever mess around with are old demos for retro hardware that doesn’t have a ton of software. I did this with a Doom port to OpenVMS to see what an Alphastation was capable of but I didn’t really play it much.

Anonymous

that picture made me laugh out loud!

Anonymous

I only use windows for gaming. My firewalls and routers prevent pretty much anything else other than games from accessing the internet, if I am using windows.

Linux I use for all the real work because I need the stability and security of that

Anonymous

Playing games on Linux isn’t an issue but I prefer Windows for that.

Anonymous

vidya games are boring anon.

Anonymous

>ck2/3
      >rimworld
      >ksp
      >factorio
      These are the main games I play and they’re all native Linux. A lot 9f my other ones work with proton otb

Anonymous

Pretty much. Now I waste all my time on youtube and LULZ instead

Anonymous

How easy is to virtualize your gpu nowdays anyway? do you still need two gpus if you want to play a game in your windows virtual machine?

Anonymous

[…]

This post doesn’t follow and makes very little sense.
      > Freetard mass seethe comment thing
      I can see the point made, but . . .
      > this isn’t even a freetard seethe board, it’s just linux nerds (not even "freetards" necessarily) talking about what games they do or don’t play.
      > Hell, this is the most chill thread I’ve seen all day, next to no flame wars or mass insults thrown around
      > None of the linked replies have anything to do with "Freetard seethe"
      This must be what some people are talking about when they say that a lot of 4-chan is just bot spam these days. Some bot scanned all the threads for keywords like "Linux" and a high reply count, found this one, and just linked a bunch of people and posted this image, and it happened to end up here because this thread fits the bill, even though this wouldn’t match the intention of a human trying to stir people up or make a point because it’s contextually out of place.

Anonymous

[…]

meds

Anonymous

Anyone who still plays games is not old enough to be on this board.

Anonymous

[…]

You didn’t even read my post dumb AI scrote. I am going to beat your toaster sis extra hard now.

Anonymous

I play Overwatch, Splitgate, Rimworld and I’ve been working my way through the Shadow Warrior franchise recently. It’s pretty cozy gaming on Linux, and (of course) you’ve always got first-class emulator support on a bevvy of devices.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/VOe17Du.gif

[…]

reminder that Macs had Proton support until Apple removed it. iToddlers could be playing PC games, but mommy took the toys away because she didn’t trust them

Anonymous

>until apple removed it
        huh? you can’t just install any program on a mac anymore?

Anonymous

>>>/v/

Anonymous

Between Steam, Lutris, and GoG, most games run just fine on Linux. The only real sticking point right now is games that require third party anti-cheat software, which mostly isn’t Linux-compatible.

Anonymous

I stopped playing games and then I switched to Linux. After realizing how shit it is, I switched to Mac OS. Now everything is fine, I use it for my work and finally have sex.

Anonymous

No. I don’t play games.

Anonymous

I use it for work and to play titanfall 2.

Anonymous

you can play plenty of games on linux but I really only play roguelikes, thinking of making my own since all of them are pretty barebones

Anonymous

I did but an issue with AMD packages on Archlinux makes the laptop freeze whenever I play games or watch youtube.

Anonymous

what bug is that?

Anonymous

I do. With proton GE performance is only slightly worse than on windows when it comes to directX games. For vulkan games they run just as well.

That said I don’t play many newer releases simply because there hasn’t been anything worthwhile in ages. Last new game that actually had me excited was Prey and that was 4 years ago now.

Anonymous

the games i want to play work fine. emulators work fine. steam works fine. indie shit like FTL works fine.
      it’s great

Anonymous

I don’t. Used to, but it’s been like three years since i last played a new game and three months since i overcame the paradox interactive addiction.

I will be honest, once you stop playing games your life will probably get better. Most stuff boomers used to tell you about vidya when you were a kid is true.

Anonymous

Proton, baby!

Anonymous

>install proton
      >proton Game
      wow so hard

Anonymous

I can if I want to, easily. Others have already mentioned Proton so I won’t go there. Truth is that I play a lot less games nowadays, because Linux opened my mind to so many more possibilities of what I can do with a computer. I’m learning to write bash scripts and nix modules now, which is really fun!

Anonymous

Playing Deus Ex currently

Anonymous

games are fun every once in a while but it’s more fun to learn how to do something crazy with a computer.

With completely free software and a spare pc you could do something like this:

Computer with 3 ethernet ports:
      *Remote Management
      *VM[pfSense, two ethernet ports{one to wan, one to switch}]
      *Various server software
      *Third port gets internet from itself through the pfsense firewall

If you want to throw pcie network cards at a problem you could actually run multiple pfsense vms from one machine with a local place to manage them and the ability to have wildly different configurations running for different purposes.

Anonymous

Linux is behind in games, but you can play them. If you’re a gamer you’re better off just using windows 10. There are little things that you wouldn’t even think of. For example fallout new vegas the radio doesn’t work properly and cuts out, the performance is more unstable than windows and has some artifacting with light. Payday 2 you can’t use mods which is really irritating since wolfhud works very well and is almost needed to play the game properly, especially in stealth missions, holding keys down sucks. Phasmophobia people can’t hear you talk ingame, just straight up broken. Anticheat in games doesn’t work, and there’s some really fun games that use anticheat such as DBD, warzone, dayz, squad arma 3. Like I said, you would never know these problems exist until you actually used linux full time and tried to play a large library of games. Very sad because many people use ubuntu and it works well but then the gaming just absolutely wrecks their perception of linux, and then they go back to windows.

Anonymous

zeus works well with wine I don’t need more. Maybe if someone decided to make improve on the idea but so far I have seen nothing to comes even close. Also ballisticng for my wipeout fix even if the music is mostly trash.

Anonymous

I can run AoE2: DE on Manjaro and that’s the only game I’ll really ever need.

Anonymous

Nah, they all have Windows VMs/dual boots/SSDs – they just don’t tell you about that part.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I’m a casual gamer, so steam + proton is sufficient for me.

Anonymous

Games are bloat and timewaste

Anonymous

What else are we supposed to do as subfive male neets? Jerking off only does so much and youtube is filtered garbage.

Anonymous

When I play games I switch to my other hard drive that has just Windows and a few games and VR, otherwise it’s all Linux. Soon I might switch to Pop OS or Steam OS for the gaming hard drive.

Viewing 68 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id