Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

> learn to code
      > sorry but there are no hardware to run your code

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Why is everyone such an ideologue all the time
      Just bend the rules and use tax money to make a chip fab in the us already

Anonymous
      Anonymous

> use tax money to make a chip fab in the us already
      I suspect we have no hardware engineers anymore.

Anonymous

yeah if it were a contest between American chip quality and Taiwanese I would pick the Taiwanese every time.

Anonymous

america has more than enough resources to make those factories, but it takes around FIVE years to make them fully operational
        also, since america has the highest wages in the world, don’t expect the chips to be any cheaper than the banned chinese ones

Anonymous

There are literally two being built, one by Samsung in Texas and another by Intel in Arizona. See for why that ‘s not an immediate solution to the current situation.

Given the current situation, I’d also imagine that chip production will be considered important enough for the US Government and others to require and subsidize a certain amount of domestic capacity in the near future.

Anonymous

A chip shortage makes programmers more useful, not less useful. I’ve been gradually reworking my skillset as its not long until most performance improvements are going to come from untangling spaghettiware and improving architecture. People are addicted to UPGRAAYDOONNN and can’t even freaking fathom the concept of new software taking less resources to run.

We have so many chips out there people are just scrotebrained at making use of them. "Oh no – my in car infotainment system might not support butttooth 1 billion!" – who cares?

It doesn’t rightly matter. NATO needs its own chip fab even if it sucks.

Anonymous

>I suspect we have no hardware engineers anymore.
        Hardware engineer here, from Syria (I’m not kidding — and no, I’m not a refugee) and have a PhD in microelectronics.
        Trump’s staff made sure my visa wouldn’t be renewed so now I’m working for a European company. Don’t have time for bullshit.

Anonymous

>from Syria
          >kicked out
          Good. We’re full

Anonymous

Yes, it’s great, enjoy your silicon shortage muttie. :’)

Anonymous

thanks, america. imagine the rest of the world without you

Anonymous

So we returning to monke?

Anonymous

>semiconductor_shortages(1-5)
      I don’t understand. Are you a /poo/ immigrant? Everyone on LULZ is aware of the state of the hardware industries right now.

Anonymous

>america bans the whole world from buying chinese chips
      >immediate consequences to american economy
      >"it must be the corona virus"

Anonymous

should have seen this coming when people decided fridges need computers in them

Anonymous

>tfw still on my i5-2500k
      No reason to upgrade

Anonymous

ITT: Smooth brains that think this is a chip shortage.

It isn’t a chip shortage. It’s a distribution shortage. Big difference. TSMC and Global Foundries aren’t having any issues fulfilling orders. Hell, Intel isn’t even running their fab at full capacity (mostly due to having no customers though, kek).

People don’t seem to realize just how many hands a chip is exchanged with before reaching a final product. Covid restrictions completely buttbonked shipping. Drop the restrictions and shit goes back to normal. Just go to any major port right now and you’ll see a literal line of ships because autism grinded everything to a snail’s pace.

Anonymous

The entire last year and its consequences have been entirely caused by the government. The flu has not been shutting businesses down and preventing work from being done, if it was there would be death tolls in the tens of millions. The fault lies completely with the government for destroying the economy. Government is illegitimate. Government is the problem.

Anonymous

>"the world can’t get chips for cars because all of the chips come from China or Taiwan"
      >do some research
      >"China can’t make chips because none of their car chips are made in the country; they’re all from Taiwan"
      Why does everyone just automatically assume China makes everything? China’s actually getting pretty bonked.

Anonymous

how does China get any chips if Taiwan doesn’t exist?

Anonymous

Sorry, I meant "China can’t make any cars"
          China makes chips, just not the chips that cars use. Turns out chip production is extremely specialized.

Anonymous

They have fabs they own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_Manufacturing_International_Corporation

But they are behind at 14nm which they claimed they "did R&D" to catch up and definitely not using IP theft and espionage to get that. Nevertheless, having almost cutting edge is scary from a technology perspective. The US blocked them from buying EUV machines from ASML in the Netherlands for that reason so they can’t shrink down their chip fabrication any further without that.

Anonymous

I hope they get to cutting edge quick, I need to be free from USA globohomo NSA spyware in my electronics, I would vastly prefer chinese spyware since they don’t have jurisdiction over me.

Anonymous

more like Trump banned anyone from buying chips from chinese factories, and selling supplies to china
        the only 2 allowed factories, in taiwan, can only make so much

Anonymous

Also, most Chinese companies rushed to buy chips before they were haweii’d by Trump, making the queue for getting chips even worse

Anonymous

trump is gone now, can murica undo the ruling?

Anonymous

Americans are so fat and scrotebrained that their only chip factories produce doritos.

Anonymous

>learn to code
      Why? I seriously hope you don’t do this for money. It doesn’t pay that well at all.

Anonymous

this, software developers are increasingly becoming the blue collar workers of the digital age.

Anonymous

if only software wasnt so bloated and poorly written and then it could run on computers operating at a measly 1 billion operations per second

Anonymous

shouldn’t we use this as an opportunity to optimize software as much as possible?

Anonymous

Hopefully
        As a hardware engineer it really annoys me to know just how much brainpower and capital goes into small performance gains, only for it to be used for a javascript developer to import a package to tell if a number is odd or even

Anonymous

>in today’s mutt news
      >WHY YOUR CURRENT DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT CAN’T FIX YOUR PROBLEMS (AND WHY THIS IS A GOOD THING)

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.