Scientifically speaking, is ADHD even real?

Home Forums Science & tech Scientifically speaking, is ADHD even real?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/ozE2QlZ.gif

Scientifically speaking, is ADHD even real?

Are there any studies proving it is not real? I read somewhere that the guy who "discovered" it said it was fake before dying.

Any professionals on this topic?

Anonymous

No. Feeling bored, agitated, overwhelmed and mentally absent from what passes for a life now, is a symptom of having a soul.

Anonymous

"Psychology is a science"
      Drug your child with highly addictive amphetamines for being easily distracted and forgetful in state-run schools.

Drugs are bad except when we say they aren’t.

Does your child mix up ‘b’ and ‘p’? Well, Tim got dyslexia but we’ve already got the very expensive and definitely not useless therapy sessions covered.
      Does your child dislike socializing? This autism service will surely help him where he can finally tell whether or not a person is smiling at him or not.
      Your child says No to whatever an adult superior demands? Your child has Oppositional-Defiant disorder. Immediately send him to therapy or he will turn into a mass-murderer.

Your pharma corporations and mental health industrial complex.

Anonymous

Pretty sure it’s real, there’s different brain activity pattern and even mass of the neocortex. It also slashes life expectancy by 13 years or some shit like that. Oh but you get minimally increased creativity so it’s worth it for sure. Not a disorder, just neurodivergent snowflake or some shit like that, right?

I recently realized I most likely have it (type 2). My life is ridiculous and so is health care in this country. I’m currently looking at the refunded drugs for it (adderal apparently 2spooky4 shrinks over here).
      >Methylphenidate
      >Bupropion
      >Atomoxetine
      >Amantadine
      >Piracetam (lul)
      If anybody has any expertise with these please tell me which to try first. Even after positive diagnosis you need to fight tooth and nail over here to get anything and I don’t want to get stuck with something that’ll fuck with my health.

Anonymous

PS 13 y decrease is for the unmedicated. Pretty harsh.

Ah yeah, I’m an adult. Got fooled bythe type 1 one hollywood meme of ADHD so I never had a chance.

Anonymous

I’m using bupropion right now. I don’t know anything about it helping with ADHD, just an antidepressant (it did give me motivation to do stuff). I haven’t noticed having a better focus, even though I suspect I also have ADHD type 2.

Anonymous

i keep saying it but
        strattera

Anonymous

Look up the definition of it – it covers pretty much all human behavior.

Anonymous

You ever met someone with ADHD who’s not on meds? They’re barely able to function as adults. Everyone gets distracted, bored, and forgets things but not to the point it ruins your life. That’s what separates a mental illness from "just being different".

Anonymous

>They’re barely able to function as adults
          They’re barely able to function as adults in a dysfunctional society forcing a toxic and unnatural lifestyle on the individual.

Anonymous

Being able to focus and remember things is an important human ability. Not being able to do that is like missing a hand or eye. It’s a disability regardless of what society you’re in.

Anonymous

>Being able to focus and remember things is an important human ability
              What makes you think people who are susceptible to "ADHD" aren’t able to function if they develop in a normal environment?

Anonymous

You’re moving the goalposts. First it was "people with ADHD can’t function without meds because society is dysfunctional". Now it’s "people have ADHD because society is dysfunctional".

Define "normal environment" ? What sort of environment do you think would prevent someone from developing ADHD?

Anonymous

>You’re moving the goalposts
                  Nope.

>Define "normal environment"
                  A pre-industrial one.

Anonymous

So your cure for ADHD is to have them live like illiterate medieval peasants so it doesn’t matter. Great plan.

Anonymous

Yes, because "ADHD" is not a disease that people are afflicted with, but a symptom of a disease society is afflicted with.

Anonymous

Very deep anon.

Anonymous

>b-b-b-but you can’t point out the basic reality that i deny, because it’s not d-d-deep, okay?

Anonymous

that is called a bonked up dopamine reward system due to excess social media consumption

Anonymous

There might be a mental illness there, no way to prove there isn’t.

But that doesn’t mean it’s been well-defined in a concept called "ADHD". It’s like the modern version of humorism.

Anonymous

The criteria for real was is if it shows up in base neurological wiring (not just activity).
      So yeah, it’s real.

Anonymous

Psychology is so unscientific it is dangerous to treat it anything like a science.

No we aren’t going to give meth to kids for being bored in class. Jesus. freaking bachelor of arts.

Anonymous

ITT non-professionals guess whether ADHD is real. Great scientific discussions guys.

Anonymous

This is a joke, right? They aren’t diagnosing girls just for being girls, right?

Anonymous

Only if the symptoms in the pic, and a lot more, express themselves in an exagerated way and lead to difficulties in school or other parts of life that others of tge same group do nit because they do not have these symptoms

Anonymous

shut the fuck up, I will literally rape a gnome if I can’t get my stims because you fucks wanted to fuck with me.

Anonymous

>scientifically speaking, is ADHD even real?
      Yes. It may be significantly over-diagnosed, but there’s people who have legitimate problems with executive function.

Anonymous

Its an executive dysfunction disorder. Undeveloped frontal lobe. Making careless mistakes at work/school, low working memory, forgetting to pay bills, being chronically late. having the intention to do things but not being able to do it.

Anonymous

The symptoms in girls usually show up during or after high school .
      Girls tend to be quieter and lean routine and structure of the school environment. When they no longer have teachers or a structured routine to lean on, and have more responsibilities they struggle

Anonymous

It’s real insofar that the concept of ADHD is real, there’s a whole bunch of people taking the same drugs, getting the same treatments, who have a level of similarity with eachother.

You have to define what you mean by real. Does real mean that ADHD has a common biological cause? If so, than ADHD is definitely not real. Does real mean that ADHD is consistently defined and diagnosed across time? If no, ADHD is definitely not real. Is the idea that ADHD real woke af on the idea that there are simply, for instance, frameworks of ways of thinking about people that preclude ADHD existing that are more useful than the concept of ADHD (example: conceptualizing people as existing on a spectrum of good/bad executive functioning as defined by intelligence testing such as symbol search)? If such a framework of thought exists, than thinking about ADHD as being "real" is probably wrong.

One can notably criticize the binary demarcation of "ADHD" and "not ADHD" used in medicine as being a non-real spook used for the purpose of social convenience, drug administration, and insurance. Perhaps the point where we say people "have ADHD" is completely arbitrary and people actually exist on a spectrum of functioning when it comes to attention and executive functioning and so on that is completely smooth from which you could set the "ADHD" threshold at any point. One hears much about how "ADHD drugs only work on ADHD brains, if you’re normal they won’t work" which is woke af on zero empirical evidence and is contradicted by performance enhancing amphetamine use throughout academia and industry from people not diagnosed with ADHD. From this perspective, ADHD might exist as nothing more than a moral justification to give the most scrotebrained of society drugs to "balance the scales" by pretending as though there were some unique benefit to giving ADHD drugs to certain population and unique drawback to giving it to other populations which is 1000% a spook.

Anonymous

I kind of agree with this. Giving drugs to someone with adhd would them ‘normal’ and giving it to someone without adhd would give them the same benefits (although, benefits they do not necessarily need)

Anonymous

would make*

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id