PinePhone for privacy (low-spec smartphone, fully hackable)

Home Forums Science & tech PinePhone for privacy (low-spec smartphone, fully hackable)

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Say something nice about the single mobile device that respects your freedoms

Anonymous

It actually got to production. I wish it was better though

Anonymous

Contribute. Or at least work towards being in a place where you can.

Anonymous

why work for free? I really wish you’d stop making these freaking threads btw scrote kys

Anonymous

The only mobile device that represents my freedom is the bussy fleshlight i bout from ali express

Anonymous

[…]

Hows that keyboard btw

Anonymous

has more travel than most laptops kek

Anonymous

I wish it had a future

Anonymous

it has 4G data, makes calls and texts and runs a mainline linux kernel.
        with a battery replacement every few years you can easily use it for a decade I bet.

Anonymous

>already incapable of decoding 4k hdr video
          Sure, if you are the type of person who uses a 2008 Thinkpad.

Anonymous

Why would you need 4k hdr decoding on a phone with a 720p screen without hdr?

Anonymous

So that I don’t have to transcode them when streaming from my media server.

Anonymous

Why would you not want the server to transcode? Are you implying that your server is less capable than a pine phone? kek

Anonymous

I don’t have a phone but I thought about getting one of these to use as a neat pocket computer. Probably won’t though because I already carry my laptop in my backpack with me most places.

>MUST… CONSOOOOOOOM… VIDEOS!!! AAAAAAAAA
            have a nice day cunt

Anonymous

it tried

Anonymous

Allwinner basically did nothing but package ARM IP, which is the only reason this chink shit is passable.

Anonymous

Bring back sidekick but this one def better

Anonymous

Still no keyboard, boo!

Anonymous

2 more weeks

Anonymous

to flatten the curve or get a keyboard?

Anonymous

Where are the arrow keys?

Anonymous

look closer

Anonymous

Holy shit. I guess that’s fine for mobile users.

Anonymous

I would love to buy this but I am still not sure. Someone who has it redpill me pls
      >How’s the GPS, in scrotedroid GPS stops working when I disable garden gnomegle Play services. How does it work in here?
      >How’s the emulator softwares? I am not a big gaymer but I do play some old gaymes on lemuroid and play some VNs in kirikiroid in my android. I know its gnu/linux and alternatives emulators exist in them but not sure how mobile friendly the UI of them are
      Probably I think banking apps are the only thing I think I am going to miss but I guess I will just use a debit card or use the web browser(someone tell me how the experience was using the banking website to pay).

Anonymous

Also tell me how good the battery life is. I am guessing since it doesn’t use GCM, it is uses heavy battery because of all the processes in the background especially when internet is turned on like in a laptop?

Anonymous

Also tell me how good the battery life is. I am guessing since it doesn’t use GCM, it is uses heavy battery because of all the processes in the background especially when internet is turned on like in a laptop?

>emulation
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDOiUJUAvrA
        It’s hit or miss. This is an old video but it’s slightly better now.
        >banking apps
        My banking app works fine on Waydroid ymmv
        >battery life
        I get over 10 hours on standby around 6 with light browsing.

Right now it’s a fun toy and should be treated as such though a lot of progress has been made over the last two years.

Anonymous

https://i.4cdn.org/g/1632402012159.webm

>How’s the GPS, in scrotedroid GPS stops working when I disable garden gnomegle Play services. How does it work in here?
        Works perfectly fine for people who don’t install them to begin with.
        >>How’s the emulator softwares? I am not a big gaymer but I do play some old gaymes on lemuroid and play some VNs in kirikiroid in my android. I know its gnu/linux and alternatives emulators exist in them but not sure how mobile friendly the UI of them are
        You should be using Retroarch, it works on both Android and the Pinephone and is optimized for mobile use.

Anonymous

What OS is running in this vid?

Anonymous

Can you select which cellphone tower you connect to on Pinephone?

Anonymous

there’s not a single cellphone that lets you do that.
        Also you usually don’t connect to only one tower unless you’re in bumfuck nowhere

Anonymous

Android is automatic, but it let’s you select which tower you want to hop on if you want to manually select. Are you saying Pinephone isn’t able to do that? Isn’t the point of Pinephone to be privacy and user control oriented? Why can’t it do such a basic task that stock OEM android can do?

Anonymous

>select which tower you want to hop on if you want to manually select
            no it freaking doesnt you absolute spastic
            changing networks doesn’t change towers
            I told you think in the last thread but you’re just too freaking scrotebrained to understand aren’t you

Anonymous

you’re confusing tower with network

Anonymous

pinephone threads attract botnet shills masquerading as schizos. He’s one of them.

Anonymous

after reading the rest of his comments, i agree with you.
                is anyone actually using one of these things as their main phone? it looks like a fun devkit, but every demo i’ve seen looks like absolute garbage

Anonymous

>is anyone actually using one of these things as their main phone
                  Yep. the only normie shit I do is make calls and SMS. After flashing the FOSS modem firmware I haven’t had a single problem

Anonymous

How come apps on these kinds of phones (pine, libre, whatever) tend to be slow? AFAIK the hardware is decent enough, and I thought the apps were written by academic enthusiasts. Yet they don’t seem optimized

Anonymous

systemwide hardware acceleration isn’t mainlined yet

Anonymous

Its underpowered, and won’t have the normie curb appeal, but I think more people are starting to want a repairable open phone. So I think it has a chance.
      Its pretty exciting from a developer and tinker standpoint. Soon I’ll be able to have all of my phone/laptop/PC dotfiles in one place and have so much be unified and easily modifiable.

Anonymous

>phone/laptop/PC dotfiles in one place
        this is what does it for me
        carrying around my autistic rice feels great

Anonymous

can you list everything in your setup there?

Anonymous

Ascend to the E1DA 9038 master race.

Anonymous

>Tired of the default notification sound
        >youtube-dl a video with sound effects
        >ffmpeg -i funny youtube video.mp4 -vn -acodec libvorbis -ss 0:10 -t 1 meme.ogg
        >scp meme.ogg [email protected]:~
        >ssh [email protected]
        >sudo cp meme.ogg /usr/share/sxmo/notify.ogg
        >Now my phone makes funny sounds when I get a text message
        I get "muh apps" and all that bullshit, but how do normalscrotes cope with not having this much control over their phones?

Anonymous

Because a proper mobile OS like Android lets you customize notification sounds on a per app basis already, without having to be all autistic about it. It’s literally just the push of a button.

Why is it, that in every single one of these threads, if someone comes up with a great use case for a pure Linux phone, it’s some overly complicated way of doing something that Android can already do?

Anonymous

because it’s woke af and redpilled and you’re a scrote who chokes on tim cook’s chode

Anonymous

>can’t come up with actual use case, argument or anything of merit to say
              >hurr durr ur a scroteit
              Seeth harder.

Anonymous

OH YEAH GOVERN ME HARDER YOUR MAJESTY

Anonymous

Because literally every phone can use custom notification sounds with the tap of a few buttons, you freaking moron

>autistic
            Man you’re freaking scrotebrained.
            >Already use ffmpeg because it’s the de-facto standard for AV processing and mpv, firefox, palemoon, et. al. already depend on it
            >Already use scp and ssh for my NAS, and even if I didn’t, I already use them for transferring shit off my seedbox
            >Already use youtube-dl because youtube is shit and likes to nuke videos for no reason
            Not a single command I mentioned using is extraordinary. I use every single one on a daily basis. It’s literally just a desktop with a battery and modem. Calling it autistic because it’s not push button get sound effect completely misses the point. And I’m still not using Windows.

Anonymous

Yes, but is it easier than pushing a button? I don’t think so. Let’s say of what you described on your phone:

>have to look up a video in browser
              >download video via cli yt-dl
              >convert it via ffmpeg with arguments any normal person would have to look up
              >move that file to a specific location, needing elevated privileges

versus

>look up and download sound with NewPipe
              >set that file as a notification sound (per app, if you want, something you can’t do unless you spend a few hours implementing it yourself)

I know you were thinking you had something clever there. I knew you thought "oh man this is totally going to show these Android scrotes who’s in control". Well, sucks that it didn’t work, I know. Now just let it go, you’re embarassing yourself.

Anonymous

Not defending that pain in the ass workflow, but the cool part about a Linux phone is the ability to throw that kind of process into a bash file and bind it to any part of your workflow.
                Boom, you can now set your ringtone from a YouTube link in your clipboard instantly.

To people with no scripting skills, that sounds beyond belief stupid, but to even a slightly better than beginner Linux user, its a pretty powerful concept.

Not to mention, less big tech cock in your throat.

Anonymous

>To people with no scripting skills, that sounds beyond belief stupid, but to even a slightly better than beginner Linux user, its a pretty powerful concept.
                  I have been using Linux for 20 years now and have a gazillion scripts in my daily work flow. I would never consider using something like that on a mobile touch screen device. But then again, maybe that’s because I’ve been using touchscreen phones for over 10 years now, and have grown accustomed to what you would call cuckery of the computing.

>Not to mention, less big tech cock in your throat.
                  I already use a ROM without any Google Play Services and all apps on my phone are free as in freedom. Yes, the Pinephone is freeer and has useless switches but that is not something I would consider important enough to stop using AOSP.

Anonymous

I get it, I probably won’t do a ton of scripting myself, I like it in concept, and would like to play around with it. Android phones can do similar stuff anyways, but a Linux like environment is much more friendly to this kind of thing.

The privacy differences may be true, if you happen to know all of the right configs. I just find it ridiculous how many hoops you have to jump through in android to not be tracked on everything, and would rather spend cash elsewhere.

But then again, I’m willing to make the usability/idealism tradeoff.

Anonymous

>I just find it ridiculous how many hoops you have to jump through in android to not be tracked on everything, and would rather spend cash elsewhere.

>Buy Google Pixel phone
                      >install official LineageOS or GrapheneOS, depending on whether how much you value security and best practice implementations
                      >only install apps from F-Droid

I don’t think that’s more hoops than if you were to use PMOS on 2015 hardware.

Anonymous

>Buy Google
                        >value security
                        Imagine being such a clown you can type google and security in the same sentence and actually be serious about it.

Anonymous

https://grapheneos.org/features
                        Here’s a list of features the Pixel devices have and the Pinephone does not. From verified boot with attestation to sandboxed profiles and much more.

inb4
                        >implement them yourself

Anonymous

you’re such a freaking scrotecattle holy shit
                        I’ll spell it out for you:
                        >google product
                        >security
                        pick one

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/AgVGJG3.gif

>can’t come up with anything beyond
                        >b-but muh Google!!!
                        Hilarious

Anonymous

if seeing the word google isn’t a deal breaker for you then you’re too far gone.
                        I’m genuinely not interested in discussing technology with scrotecattle, don’t reply.

Anonymous

That’s a lot of bullshit for someone who is even ambivalent towards privacy. Fuck that.
                        Regardless, are you using google DNS? Isn’t that still in lineage by default? Is your phone hardly working without a few google play services? My notifications were not. Back to square one.
                        How many other small tweaks are there that aernt obvious for a generally no telemetry environment?
                        Its pretty pretentious, but I think the Foss philosophy is actually a decent selling point here.

Anonymous

>Regardless, are you using google DNS?
                        Level3 and dismail
                        >Isn’t that still in lineage by default?
                        Yes. Though this can be changed since LineageOS 14 (which came out 5 years ago). Also, if your concern goes that deep, just use GrapheneOS.
                        >Is your phone hardly working without a few google play services? My notifications were not. Back to square one.
                        No, it works perfectly fine, including notifications.

>How many other small tweaks are there that aernt obvious for a generally no telemetry environment?
                        There is no telemetry to Google on either Graphene or Lineage.

>Its pretty pretentious, but I think the Foss philosophy is actually a decent selling point here.
                        And I disagree because you’re obviously uninformed when it comes to current gen AOSP.

Anonymous

>There is no telemetry to Google on either Graphene or Lineage
                        prove it

Anonymous

https://github.com/LineageOS
                        You go ahead and prove it

Anonymous

google product = botnet

Anonymous

>is it easier than pushing a button

Anonymous

Will I ever recover?

Anonymous

Except for the part where youtube-dl(p) keeps up with Google’s bullshit and Newpipe doesn’t. Also
                >convert it via ffmpeg
                is disingenuous, I included -ss and -t parameters. Please show me where Newpipe, even when it’s functioning normally, is able to trim audio files. Also also
                >needing elevated privileges
                yeah, it’s this bizarre concept called "owning your phone." I’m sorry that the concept of the wheel group is extremely foreign to you. I’m sure some Indian will fork Magisk and maintain it now that the old maintainer is wholly owned and operated by Google.

Anonymous

>Except for the part where youtube-dl(p) keeps up with Google’s bullshit and Newpipe doesn’t.
                  Newpipe is literally a frontend for Youtubedl and in the past, lagged behind for maybe a day at most, with upstream updates.

Anonymous

HOW DARE YOU PHONES BELONG TO THE GOVERNMENT AND ITS CORPORATIONS
                  YOU ARE OPENING SECURITY HOLES IN OUR NATIONAL DEFENSE AGAINST RIGHT WING NAZI DOMESTIC TERRORISTS

Anonymous

I don’t think Newpipe had any problems downloading videos in the past year or so I’ve been using it (ymmv).

>Please show me where Newpipe, even when it’s functioning normally, is able to trim audio files
                  Not him and no you can’t do that. But it’s a stupid comparison anyways because you could literally trim the file the exact same way on Android through Termux (which comes with FFMPEG, among other tools).

Anonymous

woke af Haruhi poster

Anonymous

Because literally every phone can use custom notification sounds with the tap of a few buttons, you freaking moron

Anonymous

>dotfiles in one place
        Do you use git or something? I’ve been looking for a nice solution to this for a while.

Anonymous

Git is probably the most decentralized option. I’m on Dropbox switching to nextcloud instead of git because I already use it for my org-mode wiki.

Anonymous

just use your own fileserver
          you do have one, don’t you?

Anonymous

It’s easier than flashing another phone with a third party rom.
      Not really cheaper though

Anonymous

Would a pinebook pro be good for a cheap laptop to use for just general browsing, office suite, etc? Does the fact that it uses an ARM processor introduce significant limitations? I’m not very knowledgeable on the differences between ARM and x86 and the like

Anonymous

It’s the best $200 laptop you can’t buy. They’re out of stock and have no replenishment date. Even buying them used is difficult. Pine scrotes wills ay "post on the forum" but neglect to tell you it takes weeks to months to have your membership or posts approved by moderators.

Pine64 makes cool products but they’re supply chains and logistics are horribly mismanaged, exactly what you’d expect from a company ran by engineers.

They, no shit, sent a review PINEBOOK Pro to a YouTuber even though they’ve been out of stock for months. The Pine scrotes just want to make devices for themselves and their friends: they aren’t a real company, and good luck getting hardware support.

Anonymous

>Pine64 makes cool products but they’re supply chains and logistics are horribly mismanaged, exactly what you’d expect from a company ran by engineers.
          I’ve been waiting for my Pinecil for two weeks now and it still says "awaiting shipment". How bonked am I?

(my soldering iron broke and now I can’t repair my quad, help)

Anonymous

the pinecil is very popular because it’s the only cheap iron thats actually usable.
            they’ll ship it out eventually it took like 3 weeks for mine.
            make sure you have a proper powersupply.

Anonymous

I have a 60w USB-PD power supply from my Chaddroid phone but I’ll probably end up using the 150w power supply from my Quad Lipo charger with a XT60->barrel plug adapter

Anonymous

>make sure you have a proper powersupply.

what power supply do you use?

Anonymous

Same. I ordered it two weeks ago, still waiting to ship. Coming to Ireland.

They keep PinePhone stock in Poland and ship the PinePhones from there but everything else comes from China.

I got my PinePhone in two weeks and the accessories a month and a half later.

Anonymous

>The Pine scrotes just want to make devices for themselves and their friends
          woke af
          >they aren’t a real company
          MMM I LOVE LICKING WHATEVER garden gnome RUNS GOOGLE’S poopyhole

Anonymous

>MMM I LOVE LICKING WHATEVER garden gnome RUNS GOOGLE’S poopyhole
            Nah, fuck Google. I don’t fan boy for any company. I had hope for Pine64 but they’ve lost any faith I had.

Anonymous

I WANT THE GODDAMN KEYBOARD CASE.

Pine64: get your shit together.

Anonymous

I would pay $20 right now for a touch screen optimized music player or mpd client that isn’t freaking e-boipop

Anonymous

Waydroid is woke af.

Sent from my PinePhone with Manjaro Plasma Mobile with Waydroid with Dashchan.

Anonymous

Can anyone that actually owns a pinephone confirm if you can or cannot select your own celltower manually the way you can on Android?

Anonymous

>the way you can on Android
        (x) Doubt

Anonymous

Are you by any chance a paid writer over at Pine64?

Anonymous

Why can you select cell towers on Android, but you can’t select cell towers on Pinephone. Isn’t Pinephone supposed to be privacy oriented and supposed to allow for more user customization?

Anonymous

you’re so freaking stupid

Anonymous

Is that a way of saying Pinephone doesn’t allow you to select cell towers even though it calls itself a privacy phone and stock OEM android can?

Anonymous

Are you freaking scrotebrained?
            You keep posting network selections

Anonymous

So Pinephone can’t select networks? Why is that? Is it in the roadmap?

Anonymous

>Pinephone can’t select networks
                it can
                that’s a basic modem function
                https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_APN_Settings
                Now shut the fuck up you autistic scrote

Anonymous

It’s not even the same thing. Why can’t Pinephone do something so simple that stock Android OEM can do?

Anonymous

>have to pay nearly 50% of the price to have it shipped to its country of origin
      Martijn you kankerjong

Anonymous

I will buy it if it runs Pure Data

Anonymous

Does Waydroid not have access to the PinePhone’s native storage, as in anything outside the Waydroid container?

I tried to use my Android music player but it didn’t see any of my music files in ~/music.

Anonymous

it runs slow as fuck, literally unusable
        is this just a manjaro thing?

Anonymous

It definitely wasn’t fast for me on Arch using Phosh. I’m trying to use only native Linux applications so I didn’t play around with it for very long tbh.

Anonymous

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
      KEYBOARD
      KEYBOARD KEYBOARD
      WHEN IS IT COMING OUT
      I NEED IT TO BE HAPPY
      I WAITED ALL SUMMER FUCK
      KEYBOARD KEYBOARDKEYBOARD KEYBOARDKEYBOARD KEYBOARDKEYBOARD KEYBOARDKEYBOARD KEYBOARDKEYBOARD KEYBOARD

Anonymous

A
        >I NEED IT TO BE HAPPY
        LULZ in a nutshell

Anonymous

Did they make a keyboard for it because they didn’t want the pinephone to gather dust on people’s shelves? I would like a Linux phone, but it needs more powerful hardware.

Anonymous

>pinephone to gather dust
        but anon, I use mine all day

Anonymous

how is it for you?

I think I’m obsessed with the Pinephone at this point.

Anonymous

>how is it for you?
            literally a pocket freetard laptop. I love it.
            just needs the freaking keyboard already because navigating a TUI with a software keyboard is shit.

today i set up an sftp fileshare on mine. i keep my files on a microsd and now i can access them on my various devices w/o swapping it out, v comf

do the opposite and you can "stream" off your desktop.
            I’ve been watching Seinfeld again that way in bed on my PP. Very comfy.

Anonymous

having a pocket freetard laptop is such an attractive proposal to me at this point. I’d love to be able to work on shit anywhere just like I would at home

Anonymous

It tickles my autism just right
                freaking RELEASE IT ALREADY PINEFUCKS

Anonymous

I need my pocket autism station please

Anonymous

https://i.4cdn.org/g/1632450076532.jpg

I have no idea how, I can’t use mine for more than five minutes without pissing through battery life like it were water.

Anonymous

have you considered freaking updating?

Anonymous

Im currently using an S20 Ultra and I kinda want to remvoe all tracking devices or at least limit their capabitlies. Might get this next month and keep my Samsung as my toy phone when Im home.

But not sure if even using like that is any good since the screen is real nice.

Anonymous

you android is designed to look pretty but it’s literally made to shackle you to the botnet

Anonymous

Yeah, its a shame really but im sure if I get a pinephone the devs might make a higher resolution screen available to purchase.

Then I can just swap it out and probably upgrade the board to provide the extra power.

Anonymous

today i set up an sftp fileshare on mine. i keep my files on a microsd and now i can access them on my various devices w/o swapping it out, v comf

Anonymous

WHY AREN’T YOU RELEASING IT
      ARE YOU MAD
      WHY AREN’T YOU RELEASING IT

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.