WTF is going on with the prices for new monitors

Home Forums Science & tech WTF is going on with the prices for new monitors

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

>mfw I see the prices for new monitors
      do they even make that much of a difference?
      I have a 1080p Asus monitor from years ago that I got for like 70$ that looks exactly like them from afar

Anonymous

It doesn’t matter. Use yours until it breaks.

Anonymous

I just get my monitors for $20 from a pawnshop.
        So I’d say no.

usually im all for being frugal and shit
        but this is dumb
        it doesn’t make sense to cheap out on something you will use for multiple hours every day for years

Anonymous

Except there’s practically no difference between a used 1080p monitor and a brand new one.

Anonymous

I think

[…]
            usually im all for being frugal and shit
            but this is dumb
            it doesn’t make sense to cheap out on something you will use for multiple hours every day for years

was talking about OP looking for an upgrade.
            Framerate and resolution adds cost but if you find a good balance you get a better desktop experience.

Anonymous

who said anything about getting 1080p?
            nobody should be using 1080p in the year of our Lord 1730 + 291
            you can get basic 27inch 4k 60hz panels for $300
            27inch 1440p 144hz are slightly more expensive, but decent options exist for $350ish
            either one will be a massive upgrade over an old 1080p panel(presumably 60hz)

assuming the monitor will be used for 4hours a day, 5 days a week, for a total of 5 years, that comes out to 5200hours
            so even a $500 monitor will cost <10cents/hour

Anonymous

>$300 for a 4k or 1440p monitor
              >$40 for two 1080p monitors
              which way Western man?

Anonymous

reason 1440p are expensive cause afaik there’s not a lot , if any, 60hz 1440p. Most are 144 hz

Anonymous

$300-500 for a decent panel.
                its scrotebrained to try to save money on something you use as much as a monitor
                you wanna be smart with your money?
                skip the BMW/Merc/Audi and get a used Toyota

Anonymous

imo if you still have a shitty 1080p/60hz panel, yea, it makes sense to upgrade
      but don’t be scrotebrained
      the current sweet spots are the following:

for productivity, 27inch/4k/60hz ips
      bonus points for freesync if you game on the side, but this is easy, its quite common nowadays
      32/4k also acceptable, but imo its better to just stack multiple 27s if you need the real estate

for gaming you have 2 sweet spots
      $350-500 tier is 27/1440p/144hz ips
      don’t bother with HDR, only the $3k miniled monitors have actual HDR
      don’t bother with 240hz, the its not worth the extra money and will put you close to the next tier
      $1k tier is LG C1 oled. *brutally* mogs any monitor on the market for HDR performace, and also pixel response times/motion clarity
      if you are even considering spending close to $1k, anything else is completely scrotebrained

Anonymous

I just get my monitors for $20 from a pawnshop.
      So I’d say no.

Anonymous

this you should base your purchase on 144hz, and the size you want.
      4k is a meme, dont fall for it, 1440p the sweet spot. only time to really consider 4k is if you dont want to have multiple monitors and want multiple windows on the screen. its doable in 1440p but you can only get like 4 windows max that’s comfy to read on.
      if you want crisp images get 1440p 27", if you dont care, 1440p 32 inch is gonna look about the same as 1080p 24" same pixel density.
      honestly, now is the time to buy monitors a lot for 27" and 32" 1440p 144hz around the 300-350 range

Anonymous

the point of 4k on 27/32 inch panels is to use scaling for crisp retina text
        you need 43inch to run 4k at 100% no scaling
        for a work monitor, 4k totally makes sense
        "work" usually means reading text. the 4k panel will produce much crisper text

Anonymous

you can also jsut get a 1080p 144 hz monitor you know, if anything get that. but really, only if your GPU can drive 120+ other wise stick to what you have

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>consoomer

Anonymous

yes, but by all means continue owning the joos by using decade old technology

Anonymous

Thanks, I will.

Anonymous

My favorite are this ones that cost $4k+ but look 100x worse than a $1,500 OLED. Those motherfuckers must be high as fuck setting those prices.

Anonymous

I’ve had the same two monitors for 8 years, 1080p60 IPS and 1080p144 TN both 24". Both were <$150.
      At this point my standard for a new monitor is through the roof, I’m fine with my shit tier monitors and unless they break I won’t buy some mid tier 1440p shit.
      >4k
      >120hz+
      >27" (32 max)
      >OLED
      >1ms
      >decent HDR
      >under $1500
      >freesync/gsync compatible
      >matte or anti-glare coated
      >VESA mountable
      I’m sure there’s more criteria to look at but this is the minimum I need to drop good money on a new monitor. Once I find one I’m buying 3 and setting up a kickass workstation.

Anonymous

>OLED
        Still no good for computer monitors unfortunately.
        >matte or anti-glare coated
        Way to ruin a good screen.

Anonymous

>Still no good for computer monitors unfortunately.
          What because of burn in? I heard about this one oled tv with some kind of pixel shift tech to prevent burn in. That plus auto-hide taskbars should be fine for me, I’m moving windows around constantly and have black backgrounds.
          >Way to ruin a good screen.
          I don’t live in a basement, I actually have natural light coming in and it sucks with reflective screens. Maybe more brightness can help but my old as shit TV is unusable with the blinds open.

Anonymous

>Still no good for computer monitors unfortunately.
          I use mine at 4K120 with BFI. That cuts that brightness down and cycles all the pixels off every other frame. I still baby the screen of course, but I’m not stressed about ruining it either.

Anonymous

Buying a used 27" 1440p 144hz monitor tomorrow locally for $175, fair price bros? It’s an MSI MAG27CQ

Anonymous

>from afar

Anonymous

Why don’t you buy used? I got a 1440p Lenovo IPS monitor for 70€ and it just werks

Anonymous

Assuming you sit normally at a desk,1080 at 60hz for anything you don’t particularly care about is good enough. Yes, you can fit more stuff on your monitor at higher resolutions. But you will probably need reading glasses for it unless you negate the point of a higher res monitor by zooming or scaling.

High res monitors should mostly be reserved for graphical work where you use the entire screen, movies, games, etc. Higher refresh rate means little except for games.

Anonymous

>But you will probably need reading glasses for it unless you negate the point of a higher res
        freaking lol. How bad are your eyes?

Anonymous

Enjoy your eye fatigue bud.

Anonymous

>I have shit eyes so everyone does!!
            Ok kid. You act like 1440p and 4k monitors are like some arcane unusual resolution. No need to be sour grapes with your pixelated poorscrote screen.

Anonymous

>Yes, you can fit more stuff on your monitor at higher resolutions
        I’ve actually been doubting this lately because of annoyance with how awkward it is to use two windows side by side most of the time.
        It never seemed to be an issue back in the day when I had a 640×480 "square" crt.
        Now we have wider screens that are higher res but to use multiple windows at once, I usually have to strategically position them halfway offscreen or overlap them in the exact right way to be able to drag and drop or monitor the parts I need to watch.
        It’s like the concept of program windows doesn’t really apply anymore. In theory more pixels should be more stuff but in practice it doesn’t seem to go that way.

Anonymous

Honestly, unless you’ve got some freaking god tier specs that can run a 1080p 400hz monitor, there’s no reason to buy something like that, at best I could advise to buy something like the benq TN with backlight strobbing that will really make a difference in real use.

Anonymous

I just buy them used from ebay.

Anonymous

that’s fine until Ricardo from Brazil sells you a monitor with half the screen dead and claims you broke it

Anonymous

No, I buy them from German stores that specialize in used office hardware, besides selling at decent prices they also do auctions, I got an x230 for 110€ and a 22 inch Lenovo Thinkvision for 20€, both looked and smelled like new.

Anonymous

i mean, that’s nice
            but really, what is the point?
            congratz, you saved $200-300 bucks on something you will use for the next 3-5 years
            average savings of 0.1cent/hour of usage
            what was the tradeoff?
            have you seen a 27/1440p/144hz up close or better yet next to that 22inch monitor?

Anonymous

>have you seen a 27/1440p/144hz up close or better yet next to that 22inch monitor?
              No but I’m pretty happy with all my second hand purchases and how I got all my things for basically nothing.

Anonymous

you would not be if you compared it to a decent modern panel
                good deals on used shit can be awesome
                but not at the cost of using something seriously inferior for thousands of hours

Anonymous

I have a 28" 4k monitor that I usually use a 175% scaling.

Anonymous

i must say, 1444p monitors are nice, and I do have one, but it’s definitely not necessary. the cost is just unreasonably high. i’d say just use your monitors until they break and then maybe buy one, they will perhaps be cheaper then and you’ll have gotten more value out of what you have

Anonymous

Your brain has the ability to correct the signals coming from the screen so that your actual perception matches what you know it "should" look like. If it wasn’t capable of doing that, screens would just be flashing colors with no meaning.
      As long as you’re not losing visual information it’s all the same.
      Just look at those blue light filter programs. Artists fuck up their drawings because they forgot there’s a yellow tint on their screen. Their lives are woke af on accurately judging colors and even they don’t know the difference when they’re in the groove of actually doing something.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.