I meditate 20 minutes a day for a month but I’m still emotional erratic. Why?

Home Forums General & off-topic I meditate 20 minutes a day for a month but I’m still emotional erratic. Why?

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

>Meditate 20 minutes a day for a month
      >Still emotionally erratic
      Wtf am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

What exactly do you do when you meditate?

Anonymous

What meditation are you doing? If you aren’t doing samyama in its totality (from dharana to dhyana to samadhi) you aren’t really gonna make much progress

Just focusing on my breath and if my mind strays I just go back to focusing on my breath, I think it’s called vipassana or something

Anonymous

That what laying down and turning the lights off is to dreaming. The action itself sets the conditions for something mental to happen, but there is a lot more that needs to be done to reach any sort of altered state of consciousness. Focusing on your breathing is pranayama (literally breath control) and it is a dharana (concentration technique). True meditation is comprised of, in order:

1. Dharana (complete concentration on an object, in your case breath)
          2. Dhyana (contemplation on the object, or meditation, depending on how you translate. This is more of a state than an action)
          3. Samadhi (Union with the object of contemplation, where the object of meditation and the meditator become one and a state of pure awareness and clarity without ego is attained)

Anonymous

the thing is, but most people wont say this obvious truth… is that you are supposed to concentrate on raising your vibration until you feel the butterflies in not just your stomach, but your entire body and soul.

Breathe deeply, so you feel it at the base chakra (at the beginning of the spine). by breathing through the nose for 4 seconds. and then exhale through mouth. do your own uniqe timings and certain variations as you see fit.

the bottom line is that you need to feel good sensations while doing this, otherwise you are just submitting yourself to living like a vegetable.

and feel free to experiment to find your own methods

Anonymous

it can take a long time to get right. pretty much agree with , experiment and unfuck any energetic staleness

Anonymous

sounds like a way to get high blood pressure
          find a teacher, or at the very least people who know what they’re doing

Anonymous

>get high blood pressure
            How? Genuinely asking, how could one get high blood pressure from meditating, I’m not op

Anonymous

Yeah lol
              I’m sure it’s the opposite, your pressure lowers quite a bit.

Anonymous

How is that? Personally I’ve felt pressure and pain in my eyes and brain when I’ve tried meditating, but I may have done something wrong.

Anonymous

[…]

im not going to help you. dont listen to anyone or even me.
          what do you mean "emotionally erratic"?

i have a suggestion.

Anonymous

as long as "erratic" is "safe" and can be "contained" then my suggestion should be fine.

OP. embrace it. Allow yourself to feel the things you dont like. Go the entire day with these feelings. do your normal things.

The purpose is to find the reason and the cause of how and why you feel them.

You cant do that by pushing them aside and pretending you dont have those feelings.
            im going to sleep. ill check up on the thread later. Ive probably got more to say for you
            bye for now

Anonymous

What meditation are you doing? If you aren’t doing samyama in its totality (from dharana to dhyana to samadhi) you aren’t really gonna make much progress

Anonymous

Meditation ,despite what you may have been told, isn’t the complete discipline, you have to watch the mind and constantly work on it.

Anonymous

How so? Would you say having mental diet?

Anonymous

It’s more like, see

Adding to this, if nothing you can always mentally note emotions.
          For example, let’s say you’re getting very rustled in the jimmies, just note to your mind, anger anger anger anger, tell it to your mind mentally, and it helps with the emotion.

This is called mahasi style noting, there are books on it, picrel.

Working on the stuff that comes up on the go, meditation works very nicely, but you have to make sure the bumps of life don’t ruin it.

Anonymous

I see, thank you fren

Anonymous

Exactly. Meditation is like sparring or going to the gym, before taking part in a competition or a match.

[…]

That’s mostly because 20m isn’t enough. Try an hour, or two or three. After I meditated for hours and hours, I found out some really deep bonked up things about my mind that then had a strong, legitimate impact on my life. And I’m not saying this as a schizo. It changed my life completely. I found out about trauma, about mental patterns and found some answers, or I should say, I realized I was looking for the wrong questions, from the wrong angle. But meditation was just a tool. After I would finish meditating, I would have to do more work and I would have to maintain a mental discipline and self awareness.

Anonymous

try black magik

Anonymous

>Tries to fix decades of emotional turmoil in a month.

scrotebrain.

Anonymous

Unironically this. Just stay focussed. It’s like learning to play guitar.
        >Practice every day for 20 minutes
        >1 month later
        >You still sound like shit
        >3 years later
        >You don’t sound good but you don’t suck
        >10 years later
        >Listenable

Just keep practicing man.

Anonymous

Not OP, but I’m having similar problems. I’m meditating daily for ~7 months now and I’m not sure if I’m making "real" progress. At least I still feel pretty shitty daily. My anxiety is still pumping. So I hope you are right.

I think that some of the "quick success" stories are mostly bs anyway.
          >"yeees, meditating quickly changed my life! It’s so easy!"

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/IFCz9eX.gif

>Wtf am I doing wrong?
      everything. you are meditating to get something out of it and to get "better"
      >Still emotionally erratic
      an unwanted emotion arises? instead of giving energy to that and becoming its scrote, pick an emotion you want and consciously feel that. force it if necessary. in time you get better.

Anonymous

In the Army you always hear "False motivation is still motivation" and it’s honestly so true and makes things so much better

Anonymous

Has anyone ever meditated for a long period of time, and got long lost negative thoughts just pop up out of no where? Like something bad that’s happen and you managed to forget. But I just reappears.

Anonymous

Whenever you notice a thought, congratulate yourself for getting more exp, and put your attention back where it belongs. Remember that happiness is extremely important for skill development, find pleasure in your body and learn to notice it more if you can, brainwash yourself into being happy during meditation if you can’t.

Anonymous

Never get angry or sad at loosing focus. Exp is valuable, it makes you happy.

Anonymous

Yes, this happens. Never try to suppress bad memories, they should finish being processed and go away on their own. Keep your attention where it belongs.

Anonymous

You need to do formless/objectless meditation, this cleans you out, to put it in laymans terms. The space between thoughts, the presence. Then when you are there you can bask in it, it’s it’s own type of bliss.
      Eventually you can find it outside of meditation, at which point you ask yourself who is that which is observing that presence? When you achieve that, you have achieved self realization too.
      All of the years people are taught to meditate on something is just to improve concentration so when you reach the formless jhanas, you have enough concentration to stay in them. But YOU might not require this.

Anonymous

lol teaching americans meditation is like teaching a cat to speak russian. and hearing what they think meditation is cringe as fuck. they are soo sure and so full of themselves and every shit they do is literally about being better than other people. what they call ‘meditation’ is the prime example of this.

Anonymous

It’s pretty ironic you say that americans are full of themselves while you act pretentious over relaxation methods

Anonymous

I used to be like you. Everything suddenly kind of fixed itself.
      Watching the breath didn’t work for me at all. I can just watch the thoughtless silence inside my mind and suddenly remember "this is it, aware presence". This has enriched my life so much I cannot even begin to express it. I do it any time, anywhere, many times a day. It moves space and joy to the foreground somehow.

Don’t get lost in dogma, avoid fancy practices. Just still the mind and be that serene presence.

I guess this is dogma too though.

Anonymous

Do the opposite. Put yourself in a (temporary) existential situation…then after your worries will seem small.

Anonymous

Only meditation doesnt help , go to the gym run , pull up weights and do that along with ur meditation . Only then will it work.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>a month
      Impatiant white man hands typed this.

Anonymous

meditation is a meme most of the deep jhanic states are not going to be achieved by a casual mediator. there’s more to a practice than just mediation OP it’s not going to solve everything states of equanimity supplement a discipline practice. which most people don’t even do. better yet grow up and just stop being a anxious emotional wreck of a pussy learn to not give a fuck.

Anonymous

demoralizer post: "dont try it goy"

Anonymous

he’s telling you to try growing up. Meditation is a cringe meme. By all means, meditate if you actually want to empty your mind

Anonymous

keep your nonsense for yourself, cause maybe someone reading this can beat his or her
            addiction through meditation and you are here pooping all over the practise or atleast you try but you cant cause it’s woke af, soo if you dont like it dont come here to nag about it, this thread has meditation as a topic, dont talk to me again

Anonymous

20 minutes isn’t very long but as little as 15 minutes a day is proven to be effective and also do it right when you wake up and before bed

Anonymous

You can’t solve everything with meditation. How is your diet? If you eat shit, you are gonna feel like shit. There is a cost. Get a physical exam. Have your hormones/thyroid checked.

Anonymous

Accept Christ.

Anonymous

Takes longer than that. Do it for a year or so. Just keep going youll get used to it and be able to go for hours at a time.

Anonymous

its going to get worse before it gets better. youre sweeping away the cobwebs so anything felt is going to FELT

Anonymous

You’re meditating in hopes of achieving an ulterior motive (eventual emotional stability) and it’s taking you out of the moment thus nullifying the point of meditating at all. If you feel like you ~have~ to meditate exactly 20 mins everyday then you’re missing the point entirely.

Anonymous

I agree, don’t make it a chore or feel like you’re doing a chore, though i don’t know if i could say only do it when you feel like

fishbringer

Meditate just to meditate. Don’t look for self-improvement at all.

Anonymous

Should be two hours

Anonymous

are you meditating or just blanking your head like scrotebrain?

Anonymous

How do you meditate?

Maybe you need to find a meditation technique that suits you personally more? Or learn to master the meditation technique you already use?

palousemindfulness.com has a nice 8 weeks beginners course for newbies, I’d suggest you start there and learn to meditate properly. if mindfulness/vipassana meditation is your thing.

Anonymous

Mediation alone is not the cure for an erratic mind. I recommend getting a deeper understanding of the Buddhist view of desire and aversion, grasping, attention, etc. Being rid of erratic emotions is a long process and requires much more insight than can be conveyed in a 4chn post, but if you’re serious about this then just develop an interest in Buddhism, even simple curiosity is likely enough at the start, and try to understand some of the viewpoint before jumping into practice. Of course, you can keep meditating if you like, but meditating without the proper view isn’t going to solve your problem.

Anonymous

meditation alone is enough for all things. just have to do it vigourously

Anonymous

This is possible. OP needs to take at least an hour then. I never do shorter sessions. 15-20 minutes is like a warming up for me.

Anonymous

starting is the hardest

Anonymous

man 35 minutes is a good one for me and I’ve meditated for yeearrs
            I just get stiff/sore or I feel like I’m just "done"

Anonymous

For more information head to puredhamma.net

Anonymous

This

Anonymous

Add a practice of asana, add a practice of pranayama, add a practice of mind watching (watch your mind during the day and correct your thoughts).

I don’t lie if I say that I used to be full on degenerate and now I don’t wanna fuck the weirdest of things. Emotions take more time, there are books focused on working with emotions.

Watch them with detachment if you can, you are not these emotions, not the body.

Anonymous

Adding to this, if nothing you can always mentally note emotions.
        For example, let’s say you’re getting very rustled in the jimmies, just note to your mind, anger anger anger anger, tell it to your mind mentally, and it helps with the emotion.

This is called mahasi style noting, there are books on it, picrel.

Anonymous

put urself on fire get those emotions to pop out if u wnna train them, eating some fiery foods getting a pyrite stone etc get those emotions to bubble up and deal with them

Anonymous
      Anonymous

You probably still take your slave drug every day, caffeine.
      You might want to begin there.

Anonymous

good thinking anon

Anonymous

your praxis comes from a place of mania so it flows back into mania, yo

Anonymous

(cont.) try this Zen praxis. don’t purposely meditate, until eventually your homeostatic equlibrium is a state of meditation, or at least Zen

if you can meditate 20 mins a day you can do this

Anonymous

You need synergy bro

Anonymous

Try to get your time up to 45-60 minutes and you’ll make faster progress. Once you get to the point where mind wandering stops and your attention never fully leaves the breath (albeit with thoughts continuing to threaten to pull your attention away) you are likely to experience "purification of mind". When this happens, you’ll have emotionally charged thoughts and memories come up. There may also be emotions with no apparent cause. Allow them to be there without analyzing or judging them. Once this subconscious material is allowed to surface, it will go away on its own, and it will stop affecting your daily life. These purifications can be equivalent to years of therapy.

Anonymous

https://i.4cdn.org/x/1633877153468.jpg

I’m doing meditation for 10 years and still have emotion bursts, OP. Don’t do spiritual pratices expecting clear and fast results. I know, at least, that if I was not meditating so much time, I would now be on a f. grave.

Anonymous

stop eating onions

Anonymous

>meditates

there’s your problem

Anonymous

You might have calcium shell syndrome. It can lead to emotional issues. Did you start experimenting with dry fasting? If so, it causes hypercalcemia. The way to remedy that is with vitamin K2. The best forms are menatetrenone (MK-4) and menaquinone (MK-7). Vitamin K2 is capable of transporting calcium to where it’s needed in the body.

Anonymous

If you’ve been at it for an entire month then just give it up. You should be totally enlightened by now.

Anonymous

Obviously you need to give money to a guru for it to work.

Anonymous

You should unleash your emotions in a creative or a way that benefits your body, I recommend working out as well as meditating.

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id