Lightning is the peak port for mobile devices. It is perfect in every aspect.

Home Forums Science & tech Lightning is the peak port for mobile devices. It is perfect in every aspect.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Lightning is the peak port for mobile devices. It is perfect in every aspect. It is way better than USB-C.
      Too bad it is so heavily patented that it is impossible to create something as good. Fuck intellectual “””property””” and fuck patents.

Anonymous

>USB 2.0 speeds

Anonymous

What exactly makes it better than USB C
      name 1(one) thing

Anonymous

>pure male connector makes it harder to damage the female port
        >exactly identical pins at both sides, usb-c is not purely double sided and computer knows what side did you plugged the usb

Anonymous

but those are all downsides, anon

Anonymous

>durability and perfect symmetry
            >downsides
            sir this is the tech board

Anonymous

>durability

Anonymous

>durability
              You live in a fantasy world. Litterally everyone I know with an iphone has a cracked screen and broken charge cables. My buddy goes through lighting cables like an addict through a bag of crack. He has to buy a new one once a week.

Anonymous

>Litterally everyone I know with an iphone has a cracked screen
                How the fuck are people cracking the screens of their phones? Unless you’re a freaking scrotebrain who decides to go caseless for their slap of glass, I genuinely don’t get why cracked screens are so common. It’s especially weird with iPhones since all of their phone screens are flat so you would think they’d be harder to crack as opposed to flagship Samsung’s that are curved on the vertical edges. Never hear about Samsung phones tending to be cracked right?

Anonymous

I previously use an S6 for about 5 years, screen never cracked once. Upgraded to a Moto G-Power 8gen a year and half back, no cracked screen yet. My father, mother, sister, sis in law, my closest friend, my clients who all have iphones (including phones in protective cases) ALL have cracked screen. It’s 100% apple engineering. Their shit is designed to appear high quality while in reality it’s snake oil and they cut corners in regards to electrical engineering and structural engineering, the latter being why their screens cant handle even a tiny amount shearing or twisting without cracking the screen.

Anonymous

>Their shit is designed to appear high quality while in reality it’s snake oil and they cut corners in regards to electrical engineering and structural engineering, the latter being why their screens cant handle even a tiny amount shearing or twisting without cracking the screen.

Saphire Crystal my ass lol. I always knew that was marketing BS. It might make it a bit more scratch resistant but it sure is fuck doesn’t make it shatter resistant. That’s why I hate their Apple watch design till this day. It’s the most fragile smartwatch there is yet they still or bring dead enough to act like the Galaxy watch is a shit design (specifically the rotating bezel ones)

Anonymous

>and broken charge cables.
                Are you scrotebrained?
                It’s always the cable that breaks and not the connector, like here

>durability

. If anything that’s an argument in the connector’s favour.

Anonymous

Something changed with apple cabling in the last 5-6 years. I’ve got a few older ipad lighting cables where like you said, the cable and it’s shield is in tatters but the connector works. Nowadays all I see is broken connector with damage pads, worn out pads or sadly even carbon scoring from too much electricity passing through them.

Anonymous

I thought only the cabling got worse. Mine literally disintegrated but the connector is still perfectly fine. The cabling started cracking and fell off lmao. Its probably their PVC free environment-friendly design causing this

Anonymous

>He has to buy a new one once a week.
                I’ve never been a fan of the lightning cable durability but even I know that’s excessive as hell. What the hell is he doing with his cords? Back when I was on team Apple I could at least make a charger cord last a couple months before it started tearing. Is he using them as floss?

Anonymous

I’ve looked at this cables and it appears to always be the pins. I’m guessing tiny debris like sand or other shit gets in the phone port and then by pushing the cable into and out of the port he wears off the metal pads on the tip of the cable.

Anonymous

>My buddy goes through lighting cables like an addict through a bag of crack. He has to buy a new one once a week.

tell him to stop being a scrotebrain and spend a couple dollars on any number of third party cables that aren’t any more expensive or less durable than any other type of cable

except wait you just made that shit up because you are a loser

Anonymous

Naw, you’re just an idiot who for reasons beyond me shills for apple and much like jannies, you do it for free.
                  The friend in question works manual labor shit just get broken/lost a lot, he also spends a lot of time hiking and fishing. These things are called having an active lifestyle, something you wouldn’t know about considering you spend 24/7 in mommies basement shilling for your woke af daddy cook.

Anonymous

Your buddy is a scrotebrain that buys official apple cables then.

Anonymous

MY little sis and sis go through cords like crazy for their ipads, it’s very easy to damage while I can use my android cord for years with no problems

Anonymous

because they are children and thats what they do. they break things. buy a good quality cable (not apple’s) and it should last forever.

Anonymous

But I never broke things when I was a child?

Anonymous

>you as a child

Anonymous

Nah, it was mini-USB and later micro-USB for me. I had one device I used for 5+ years where the port gave out (Nexus 7 2013) but I never beat my devices so they mostly stayed in tact.

Anonymous

>buy a good quality cable (not apple’s) and it should last forever.
              Spoken like a naive zoomer.

Anonymous

>anecdotal evidence
            I have been using the same lightning cable for years too.

Anonymous

easy to clean out

Anonymous

its literally an inverted port of a usb type c. if it was actually better then why would they "downgrade" to usb c despite the euro law. would have made more sense to allow other companies to use it no?
      you telling apple purposely downgraded their stuff just so they didnt have to share it with others?

Anonymous

Lightning was ahead of its time, at the time when it was released, all Android smartphones were using crappy micro USB connections.
        Nowadays, Apple is slowly killing the Lightning port. Almost all iPads are using USB-C and Apple is not improving Lightning anymore. They’re probably ditch the ports from the next iPhone completely.
        Also, USB 2.0 speeds benefits Apple. You’re forced to use AirDrop if you’re willing to get faster file transfer speeds, and AirDrop is exclusive to Apple products. Thus, Apple is forcing you to get a Mac.

Anonymous

Seems like Apple would gain goodwill to open source the lighting port and make ot standard.

Anonymous

Apple already has a cult like following, who will keep buying even if apple starts murdering babies for fun. It has no need for goodwill.

Anonymous

magnet /wireless incoming

Anonymous

USB 2.0 is the peak port for serial bus. It is perfect in every aspect. It is way better than Micro USB.
      Too bad it is so heavily patented that it is impossible to create something as good. Fuck intellectual """property""" and fuck patents.

Anonymous

>snaps when lightly touched
        I never want to see another USB-A connector ever again.

Anonymous

For the batteries health its absolutely perfect. For the consumers time management its kinda dumb, this is coming from a pro max 13 user with a 30w brick that draws a max of 27w to the phone. I still rather it because its the least stressful option for your battery.

Anonymous

>heavily patented
      He doesnt know Apple is part of the USB-IF and donates their patents to them to use for free

Anonymous

>Pins in the port rather than the cable
      >Microchip to enable reversible connection (you can install Linux on it lol)

Anonymous

I bet none of you goobers have even owned an iPhone in your entire life else you would have been absolutely relieved when they finally put wireless charging on iPhones.

Piece of shit connector lasted 1-2 years tops and then the piece of shit would require you bend the cable to one side just to slow charge.

Anonymous

Even Apple wants to move away from the Lightning port.
      They just don’t want to be blamed by consumers so they had the EU do it for them (so Apple sheep will blame the EU while still gobbling Apple feces)

Anonymous

the actual port and connector are better than Type C, it’s a more secure feeling rigid connection with no slop even after years of daily insertions, Type C connections always end up feeling loose and gross. Lightning sucks for data transfer though, it’s just not up to modern standards there, it’s also annoying to need two sets of cables around

Anonymous

As an iPhone user, I really don’t think lightning is all that bad

Anonymous

It’s inferior to usbc and almost every way though…. For reasons people have already covered in the thread. Is lightning is so good then why is Apple moving more and more of a products to usbc? All of their recent macbooks, imax, and pro model iPads have it so I don’t see why people are so against the iPhone having it. That would help literally everyone in the long run

Anonymous

they also have to balance the needs of their existing userbase who are already invested in lightning adaptors, chargers and what not. Where as their PC products had already used usb so it was natural to switch over the macs and ipads which are seen as "computers" to normies first, they’ll get around to making the iphones usbc in the next update or 2 and then everyone can shit on them because their accessories don’t work again. It’s almost like they’ll be criticised either way.

Anonymous

>It’s inferior to usbc and almost every way though…. For reasons people have already covered in the thread.
          But people are talking about different things.
          The *connector* is obviously superior: stronger as it is a solid piece of metal rather than hollow, smaller in size and perfectly symmetric.
          The *protocol* (usb2.0 plus some tweaks) is inferior to usb 3.0 and above.

Obviously the best solution would be a thunderbolt protocol on a backwards compatible lightning connector.
          But I don’t see it happening.

Anonymous

>Physical lightning connector is stronger

Debatable, but that you missed the part where I said "in almost every way"? The only edge I think lightning has is the durability. That’s literally it
            >The *protocol* (usb2.0 plus some tweaks) is inferior to usb 3.0 and above.

>Obviously the best solution would be a thunderbolt protocol on a backwards compatible lightning connector.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, but they didn’t, so as of right now, lightning is still shit compared to USBC. We aren’t talking about what it COULD or SHOULD be able to do. We’re talking about its current capabilities, which is objectively, inferior to C. Apple has years and years to improve and "perfect" lightning but hasn’t. They don’t even seem to want to hold on to lightning themselves since they’ve been switching their higher-end devices to type c. And with that EU law that was recently passed, they’re gonna HAVE to release a type-c iPhone sooner or later.

>"But but portless–”

No. Shut the fuck up. They’re not going to do that. That will inconvenience all of their customers even more than switching to USB c will. The portless iPhone concept is the most scrotebrained shit The tech community has ever come up with. Most of them only like it because some popular YouTubers mentioned it a couple times and because they think it looks pretty or some shit. Why would you WANT to be restricted to slower charge speeds and slower data transfer speeds will also having to carry a giant freaking puck in your bag as opposed to a normal cable? They probably wouldn’t want to include that giant thing in the box either.

>" Who needs chords? I only need wireless charging"

Congratulations. Cool. YOU do that shit but don’t suggest that everyone should be forced to not be able to use normal freaking cables

Anonymous

>chords

*Cords

Anonymous

>no but much speeds
      >wah it’s apple
      Typical. G can’t setup a file server.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.