Kobo reader is so much wasted potential

Home Forums Science & tech Kobo reader is so much wasted potential

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

>Perfect portable reading device with no eye strain
      >No support for text adventure games
      >Even with custom firmware, the screen is too unresponsive for proper typing
      >Text adventure games will now forever remain dead and obscure, instead of going through a revival
      Completely wasted potential

Anonymous

Real question. does anyone actually prefer e-book readers over physical books? I will take a physical copy of a book 100% of the time

Anonymous

i’ve never bought a physical book since buying a kindle a few years ago. too comfy to lay in bed and read with one hand without having to move at all

Anonymous

t. poser
        e-book makes it so I can fit hundreds of books in here, for free.

Anonymous

Yeah the only thing they have over books is the form factor that can keep a library in a tablet. If you only ever read one book at a time though you probably don’t need an e reader and should just get a physical book.

Anonymous

I’d stick to books tbh

Anonymous

old question asked repeatedly in the period in which there was the boom of mp3, and also the same answer: ebooks constantly for daily use and convenience, and then buy paper books worthy of the expenditure

Anonymous

Me. It’s easier to read in bed and piracy is possible

Anonymous

i prefer physical but it’s too goddamn inconvenient. too much space, can’t take a million books with you on vacation, etc….

Anonymous

before my eyes went to shit. but I like reading in the dark with night mode now.

Anonymous

>books
        >cost $20-50 each
        >heavy
        >takes up space

>ebooks
        >free
        >can fit 1000 in just a few megabytes
        >always have your whole library everywhere

The only advantage of books is being able to pose as someone who reads a lot when you actually don’t.

Anonymous

>The only advantage of books is being able to pose as someone who reads a lot when you actually don’t.
          this
          If I have books in my library it’s because they look cool. If I have books in my Kindle it’s because I genuinely want to read them. And for reading big RPG books (Pathfinder, DnD etc), an iPad is better.

Anonymous

>books
          >free
          >light
          >take up no space

>ebooks
          >cost $15-30
          >need to use an electronic device
          >need electricity
          >will break from nothing

wow you are really lookin dumb now

Anonymous

But this is straight up a lie. Physical books are never free to own, they take up tons of space, and a single book is already heavier than a Kindle.
            ebooks are literally all free online if you know where to search. and they are super sturdy. The only thing is the price of buying the Kindle, which is an investment, but if you actually read it’s well worth it.

Anonymous

A decent Kindle is like, four or five hardback books. It isn’t much of an investment especially if you’re pirating what you read on it.

Anonymous

how do you pirate things on the kindle? I currently pirate books on my computer but it sucks

Anonymous

You pirate them on your computer then upload them onto the Kindle with a USB and some software like calibre to make sure it’s in the right format.

Anonymous

so I download a pdf to my desktop and then upload it to my kindle with calibre?

Anonymous

You can load pdf directly. Just don’t expect a low powered 6" device to do a good job at displaying them.

Anonymous

That’s it.
                      Like that anon said you can actually upload the pdf directly with just the USB but they often come out looking like utter shit

Anonymous

>>books
            >>free
            >>light
            >>take up no space

Not all of us read children’s picture books.

Anonymous

>>take up no space
            I see you have a bookshelf in the pocket dimension.

Anonymous

pretending to be scrotebrained is a sin

Anonymous

>cost $15-30
            >what is piracy

Anonymous

>cost $20-50 each
          >can fit 1000 in just a few megabytes
          So why do people who read think they are intelligent when they are paying so much for the privilige of getting one persons narrow perspective of the world or the topic the book is written about?
          Especially when they can just ride the bus and get any number of crazy peoples perspective on the world for free?
          People who pirate books are at least smart enough to do that.
          And I hope people pirate so much that people stop writing because maybe that will mean people will get out and write their own stories instead of being cooped up with a book reading others’.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

Did a book touch you as a child?

Anonymous

No, I just kept having to listen to scrotebrains talk about how smart they were because they read harry potter or lord of the rings or some obscure book written by some obscure author as if that matters at all.
              It has always been weird to me that people think the delivery method of other peoples thoughts is important or means much of anything other than the ease and efficiency with which the thoughts are conveyed.

Funny you post that because if autism means analyzing the world around you and drawing your own conclusions from it instead of being afraid to go against the crowd then I guess I am.
              And I totally understand how I sound and how, to the unintelligent, all of this is incoherent dribble because
              >books = me smart so someone who think books arent all that must be stupid.
              My favorite line is you talk like a scrote next to you’re autistic.
              It reminds me of that good old documentary called idiocracy.

Anonymous

You sound very smart, do you have a blog? I’d love to read more of your stuff.

Anonymous

kek
                  Thanks for the laugh.
                  The funny thing though is that there is a good chance I’d get people to follow me because people are scrotebrained.
                  Look at how many people hang on the words of a dementia ridden politician.
                  I imagine if I tone my insults down and directed them at a group that happens to be popularly hated, any group, a popular blog would be very easy.

Anonymous

That is the kind of simplistic opinion an idiot that has read only 3 mediocre fiction novels in his life would have. The imbecility of a child who thinks that there are no greater expert in every posible topic than his uneducated self.
            Read books written by smart people, not by the scrotebrains you consider your peers, and not just fiction, also essays. Also read a lot from different topics so you get a wide perspective. Since you seem to be quite the brainlet I would recommend you to start with literature and philosophy. Those won’t impart much technical knowledge but hopefuly they will foster some common sense in you, whose lack seem to be the main root of your stupidity.

Anonymous

>and not just fiction, also essays. Also read a lot from different topics so you get a wide perspective
              Implying I don’t.
              My point is and always has been that there is a large group of readers who think they are anything but readers simply because they read.
              It’s the problem I have with a lot of people.
              They do something that another intelligent person does and immediately assumes they are intelligent like the other person too.
              Reading, anything, is just getting another person’s perspective on the world or an event.
              Nothing more.
              In depth analysis is rare and in depth conversations are rarer.
              Instead people like you will assume I think reading is bad when I have never said such a thing.
              Only that it is meaningless as a gauge of a persons intelligence and that there are other just as valid way to exchange information.
              To be stuck in the mindset that you can’t be intelligent or smart if you don’t read is hilarious when you arent even exchanging ideas and are simply consuming others’.

Anonymous

Yes. I don’t like reading the left pages of books, as it is uncomfortable. ebooks are like always reading the right side.

Anonymous

this guy knows. also, i read in bed mostly and i like to lay on my side and read. i can easily prop a tablet up with a stand on a pillow next to me and get obscenely comfy with it

Anonymous

I think it’s more comfortable to read e-books leisurely (lying in bed: a physical book would be in its own shadow so you pretty much can’t do that, and it’s easier to go on quick Wikipedia binges on tangents) and it’s more convenient to pirate them than go to the library never mind actually pay for the books. When you are working (sitting on a desk with a book open next to you) then a physical book might be more convenient for various reasons (higher resolution print allowing you to examine images, maps and graphs more carefully and such like, it’s easier for the eyes, physical bookmarks are ultimately more convenient than handling touchscreen so long as you only use several, you can line up several books simultaneously while at least I don’t own more than one good display device, they feel physically nicer to touch and handle if they are sitting on a table and you don’t have to endure the weight).

Ultimately I rarely use physical books unless there’s no (good, well-formatted) e-books available. I just made a distance library loan for The Landmark Julius Caesar: The Complete Works but I must have read 20+ e-books since the last time I used a physical one.

Anonymous

I would probably actually read my book collection if they were on eBook. At the moment they’re a centrepiece I don’t really interact with

Anonymous

I find physical more comfortable to read, but e-books are more easy to move around, free, and allow for more convenient and fast search, underlining and adding notes functions.

Anonymous

i prefer books but a lot of my books are "yellowing" and the spine is getting trashed.
        never had an e-reader but the idea of having dozens of books in a small portable device is very appealing.

Anonymous

I like physical books when I want to annotate or otherwise deep read. Ebooks are great for light reading.

Anonymous

I decided I didn’t want too many physical books after being forced to move around too much. It’s a hassle to own more than you can comfortably take with you.
        For normal leisurely reading (just cover to back, not much jumping back and forth), ebooks are perfectly serviceable and even have advantages over regular books. However, for technical or reference books where you want to flip around and read a page here and there (or a figure), physical is definitely better.
        It’s also much comfier to pirate with an e-book reader. It’s definitely made me read more classics, and also some obscure books that I’d have to order online to get my hands on physically.

Anonymous

i enjoy physical books for the smell and feel of the pages. the act of turning them. the ability to flip through and stop where the spirits guide me.
        i prefer my e-reader though. it’s comfortable to use, and i read more often. it can store many books, though i tend to only put a handful on it at a time. if i were to fill it with books, i know i probably wouldn’t use it much. also, the tactile feedback of the buttons makes it enjoyable to use. without the buttons, i probably wouldn’t use it.

Anonymous

The only advantage of the physical book (in the case of a book that is pure text) is that you can navigate through the pages more easily, since in most ebooks the responses are quite slow and if you need to reread something that you think is 20 or 30 pages before it is quite difficult while in a normal book you quickly find something like that.
        Otherwise, the ebook readers made me retire regular books almost completely. I now have access to online libraries (mostly Russian ones) that allow me to "borrow" any book instantly that I can insert into my ebook reader and start reading right now.

Anonymous

>is that you can navigate through the pages more easily, since in most ebooks the responses are quite slow and if you need to reread something that you think is 20 or 30 pages pages before it is quite difficult while in a normal book you quickly find something like that.
          Depends on your reader. In ebooks you have the advantage of a linked table of contents, annotations, bookmarks etc and can do a text search. Quick browsing also isn’t a problem with faster display modes. Some can display multiple pages at once for browsing purposes.

Anonymous

It saves a lot of money and space. It’s great for manga and reading. Pressing a button is way less laborious than flipping pages. The backlight makes it easy, while with physical books light can be a pain in the ass.

The kindle oasis is the best purchase I made in years. Got like 30gb of free manga using converters.

Anonymous

Wouldn’t manga look like shit on something like the oasis compared to a tablet?

Anonymous

Nope, the page looks good. The problem is when zooming in it’s clunky, and page turns have a quick flicker. You get used to it though.

Anonymous

Get a bigger model.

Anonymous

>paying for a manga I read in 20 min
                if it’s $15 a volume that’s $45 an hour

Anonymous

I pay around 200 yen for a volume that takes me 2 hours to complete.

Anonymous

I have bad eyesight and it’s very difficult for me to read normal books comfortably because I need to jack the spine and hold it in front of my face while simultaneously getting enough light to keep it from looking like a digestive mess.
        After getting an E-book I probably read 10x as much as I did before. It’s flat, has a backlight, and has access to every book for free.

Anonymous

No I agree with you anon. Used to only read e-books and I got fed up. Physical books let me relax and just enjoy the damn book and nothing else.

It’s funny how all these nerds think "dood I can have a 1000 gorillion books for free lmao check mate dab", of which they don’t and won’t read more than 0.5% of.

And then they go and say that people who buy physical books (who actually read them) are just doing it for showing off, lmao.

Anonymous

>ebooks for daily reading
        >nice sturdy hardcovers for works I’d like to reread later
        People who still buy paperbacks in current year are either luddites or scrotebrains.

Anonymous

libgen exists. There is no way in hell I’m spending a single dime on a book.
        I currently have around 100 books on my kindle and the thing is even easier to carry than a regular book.

Anonymous

i do

Anonymous

I prefer physical, but I read multiple new books every week, and getting everything physical is a herculean task.

Anonymous

I prefer a ebook reader

Anonymous

I prefer a phone with a reading app over e-readers over paper books

Anonymous

>much lighter (can be taken anywhere and also be held with one hand while reading)
        >can store thousands of books
        >get all books for free if you want
        >backlight at night or when its dark
        basically eInk readers are a godsend.

Anonymous

i forgot
          >can change text size and font
          >can change formatting if needed
          >instant access to online ressources like a dictionairy or wikis

Anonymous

>will take a physical copy of a book 100% of the time
        physical copies are nice but when books you want start hitting $50 per copy and weeks to find and weeks to ship no thanks.

Anonymous

>screen is too unresponsive for proper typing
      this will never be "fixed" tho, it comes with e-ink

Anonymous

What the fuck is e-ink

Anonymous

imagine etch a sketch but software controlled.

Anonymous

Transflective LCDs don’t have this issue.

Anonymous

the screen on every ereader I’ve ever used looks like a calculator from the 90s. i don’t know if i was using the cheap/shitty ones or what, but i can’t read an ebook unless it’s on a tablet.

Anonymous

Check resolution is 300dpi.

Anonymous

Nice proprietary software

Anonymous

It’s what normalscrotes use, so it’s the most relevant. If Kobo and Kindle added support for text adventure games they might actually see some more activity

Anonymous

Why would I buy an ereader that costs more than a good laptop?

Anonymous

They exist

Anonymous

Those aren’t text adventures, those are books. Text adventures are full interactive VIDEO GAMES

Anonymous

The real reading pill no one is ready for is audiobooks, superior in every single way than simply reading a book

Anonymous

t. ADHD zoomer

Anonymous

>he needs someone to read words for him

>not min-maxing your work commutes and lunch breaks so that I get to listen to books AND go home after work and play video games, instead of just choosing one

Try reading a book while you’re driving, stupid scrotes

Anonymous

I don’t drive.

Anonymous

probably don’t work then either

simple as

Anonymous

Are you offering me a job?

Anonymous

>Try reading a book while you’re driving
            I tried before during a 3 hour car ride. By the time I got out of the car, I had completely forgotten what happened in the audio book. The road took too much of my focus.

Anonymous

some people, believe it or not, can do more than one thing at a time and be able to hold their attention on both, like walking and chewing gum, for instance

Anonymous

I hope you are the only casualty when you inevitably get into a car crash.

Anonymous

Better wish that on the rest of the people on the road who are listening to the radio also, which is arguably more dangerous and loud than simply listening to a book, freaking idiot

Anonymous

Nobody pays even close as much attention to radio as to audiobooks, you freaking imbecile.

Anonymous

christ just shut the fuck up already

Anonymous

>not min-maxing your work commutes and lunch breaks
            Try min-maxing your life and not being an office wagie planning his whole existence around commutes.

Anonymous

I always read while I drive, how could you tell?

Anonymous

>he needs someone to read words for him

Anonymous

true

t. ADHD zoomer

This is why I make fun of readers who think reading makes them anything other than a reader.
        They can’t fathom the fact there are other avenues to exchange information available.
        Not everyone is a fast reader and not because they are dumb but because they actually analyze what they read as they read it.
        I really am not surprised when I talk shit to a supposed intelligent reader who can’t even comprehend a 3 sentence post while they try to tell me I am dumb for not thinking they are intelligent for simply reading.
        The world is a funny place.

Anonymous

I would listen to audio books when I first started working a wagie desk job, and I would always zone out and miss huge portions of the book, having to rewind.

Anonymous

Depends on the reader. I like the ones read by the author. Following along in my own copy as well so I can pause and re-read something.

Anonymous

I take notes while I’m reading non-fiction audiobooks are more or less useless in that regard
        However I use them for fiction all the time, I personally find it much nicer to have someone read a story to me, and you can change the speed.

Anonymous

>reading pill no one is ready for is audiobooks
        These guys seem ready

[…]

Anonymous

Games are for children.

Anonymous

Is there a color ereader that is 300dpi in color mode yet?

Anonymous

No, because they all work via color filter arrays which lowers the resolution of color compared the b&w. You’d need some 600 dpi b&w tech for 300 dpi color.
        E ink Kaleido only gets a third of the b&w resolution so you have 100 dpi instead of 300.
        DES is better with 140/280.

Anonymous

I bought a kindle, but good god using the freaking touch screen instead of having physical buttons to turn the pages is so awful I barely use it.

Anonymous

>Buy physical books, only in Hardback or limited edition
      >For anything in the public domain, or with neither of the above, pirate it
      The need for Physical Books is only worth it if they are well crafted, or rare books

For all else, Kindle

Anonymous

Is there ever going to be a way to have e-ink with decent response time?

Anonymous

Why can’t we just have a high resolution version of the Gameboy display? That seems close enough for me.

Anonymous

The response time is perfectly fine. Note taking tablets with E ink have a lag under 40ms.

Anonymous

disgusting

Anonymous

I tried and can’t into e-readers. The formatting is too bonked up, and most of what I read is technical stuff. The screens at the time I tried were just a wee bit too small for me, but I know they make larger ones now. Also, why not make one of these games yourself? If you target Kobo, there are a lot of people who have made custom applications for it. I think someone even made a Go SDK that has become popular. Beats having to work around Benzos crap on Kindles.

Anonymous

>no eye strain
      How? That’s practically the only reason I prefer physical books. I don’t feel like I’m burning my eyes out compared to when reading stuff off a screen.

Anonymous

I own a tab s7 and feel that having my screen light on might bother my GF in bed. Am I crazy for thinking this and is a eink display better for this type of night time reading.

Anonymous

In my experience the frontlights can be turned a lot lower than LED backlights. Don’t have any experience with OLED.

Anonymous

On a tablet you could read white text on a black background, which would cast less light than an ereader.
        Unless newer ereaders allow you to invert the page.

Anonymous

Most Kobos can invert the text.
          LCD will still be bright even with a completely black screen. Only OLED and similar will be truly dark.

Anonymous

Kindle paperwhite 2020 has darkmode

Anonymous

black on an LCD still emits a ton of light. Put a black background on your screen then close the blinds and turn off the light.

Anonymous

In my experience the frontlights can be turned a lot lower than LED backlights. Don’t have any experience with OLED.

I see, my screen is LED and not Oled because when I bought the plus it had color issues and I decided to return it.
          I know they fixed it now but the s7 is comfy to work with in bed which came clutch when I was sick and signing medical paperwork.

Anonymous

Whats a good cheap kindle for manga? My paperwhite is too small.

Anonymous

Likebook P78 probably.

Anonymous

there aren’t, you need to spend some good cash for them

Anonymous

Buy a fire hd 8 plus and use tachiyomi on it.

Anonymous

Anyone looking forward to the 5th generation Paperwhite?

Anonymous

I also really wanted to play text adventure games. If you use the browser you can play online on ifdb.org, but the lack of a physical keyboard makes playing painful, even if you use the short commands.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.