ITT completely obsolete snake oil technology

Anonymous

>gaming sound card
      really?

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Mainstream motherboards over $500

Anonymous

Honestly what kind of scrotebrain buys these motherboards? Even 200 dollars is way overkill unless you have a very niche need.

Anonymous

someone is buying them if they are still being put out
          IDK how you could spend $1000+ on a desktop socket board and think you where sold a product in good faith

Anonymous

scrotebrains that define their personality by the brand of RGB fans they buy. Or scrotebrains that think bigger equals better and once saw a VRM comparison table without understanding that you don’t need 92492384923A 420+69 phase VRMs for a 1700X

Anonymous

>Even 200 dollars is way overkill unless you have a very niche need.
          depends on the chipset, but intel HEDT chipsets generally START around $200-250 for the motherboards.

X59, X79, X99, X299.

Anonymous

Of course you’d expect higher prices for HEDT but for mainstream desktop boards like LGA1200 or AM4, above $500 is when you really start to get into straight placebo territory

Anonymous

I wonder this too. As soon as the solid state capacitors became mainstream on mobos maybe 10-15 years ago its been a colossal waste of money buying a high end motherboard.

Overclocking is dead. The sound chips reached "good enough" years ago. SLI and Crossfire are dead and were never all that popular anyway. All that shit on the highend board goes obsolete at the same time as a $60 board.

I think it’s just idiots that see big price tag and flashy light so they buy it. idk.

Anonymous

i bought a first revision x299 motherboard without vrm fans and it can handle a high wattage overclock. the idea that overclocking is dead is just for boomer-tier normies who want to press a button for free performance, i guarantee my computer is faster and quieter than most people’s in this board but normies dont want that they only care about pointing to a model number

Anonymous

Noone after 2012 cares about overclocking.

Anonymous

it was cheaper than a normal motherboard for me

Anonymous

High end CPUs and Intel housefires need decently high end mobos (around $200ish) or they thermal throttle under all core workloads. I usually get the cheapest non Gigashyte board that has the VRM i need for my CPU.

Anonymous

>or they thermal throttle under all core workloads.
            What? They won’t even get close due to many cheap motherboards not being able to supply the high end CPUs with enough power due to shitty cheap VRMs

Anonymous

By niche you mean someone who wanted an X570 board with thunderbolt 4 then yeah

The cheapest board that fits this catagory is like $400 or something.

Anonymous

People with very niche needs! And also people going "I’m balling out on every other part anyway so why not"

Anonymous

scrotebrains that define their personality by the brand of RGB fans they buy. Or scrotebrains that think bigger equals better and once saw a VRM comparison table without understanding that you don’t need 92492384923A 420+69 phase VRMs for a 1700X

I own a aorus xtreme z490 and I keep my pc inside a desk drawer so I dont see any lights except the ones on the front. I have enough USB ports for anything I need and the wifi is super fast. I dont have to worry about bottlenecking either.

Anonymous

>PCI-E gen 4 on more than 1 slot is a very niche need

Anonymous

I spent 1k on a mobo for crypto mining. Guess what? It paid itself off in under 3 months.

Anonymous

Im using an Asus Maximus hero 8. About as high as ill go.

Anonymous

High end overclocks (CPU, RAM), stable DPC latency

Anonymous

>High end overclocks (CPU, RAM
            Can be had with a $400 board
            >stable DPC latency
            Any board that doesn’t have stable DPC latency I have to assume is defective or intentionally has a flaw. Doesn’t matter the price

Anonymous
          Anonymous

That’s some serious shit though. You know it is when both the sound chip and network chip have their own dedicated RAM chips.

Anonymous

Because they are pretty much just downscaled and lower end versions of the dedicated hardware.

Anonymous

That’s some serious shit though. You know it is when both the sound chip and network chip have their own dedicated RAM chips.

It sucks that KillerNIC was so misunderstood, but I guess that’s what journalism and autistic techscrotes do to you if you market your product wrong

Anonymous

>It sucks that KillerNIC was so misunderstoo
            How so? What happened to it?

Anonymous

It was bought by Intel and turned into a brand name only. It used to be a NIC that actually was a PPC SoC with it’s own memory and ran Linux and could also offload far more than most ARM or MIPS woke af ethernet controllers of the time, yet they pushed it as a miracle latency reducer, which it under benchmark condition was not, but it did reduce CPU overhead more than even most enterprise NICs of that day and would also let you do things like VoIP without stressing the hosts network drivers and CPU and also do things like download torrents with the client running on the NIC even when the PC was sleeping.

Anonymous

>download torrents with the client running on the NIC even when the PC was sleeping.
                How? If the PC is sleeping then its storage devices would be sleeping too, what would the NIC read and write to?

Anonymous

USB storage, it had a USB port on the card.

Anonymous

That’s pretty neat.

Is that a TV tuner/capture card or what? That’s what it looks like going by the ports but I remember those usually having a shielding can for the RF shit.

Anonymous

>RF shit
                      We have software defined radio now, much simpler than an RF tuner block.

Anonymous

Those things were SDR’s. You can even use anons pic related with SDR software, you just have limited range.

Anonymous

Yes, dipshit, that’s the point I’m making. The posted card uses an SDR chipset. The "shielded RF shit" the other guy referred to is what we had *before* SDR chipsets, which is why he could not immediately ID the card as a TV card.

Anonymous

That’s cool.

Anonymous

Having a router with good QoS is a good way to help with latency if you share a connection with a lot of devices.

Intel NICs are known for their lower CPU usage, but in the day and age, even the crab NICs are lightweight.

Anonymous

>It sucks that KillerNIC was so misunderstoo
                How so? What happened to it?

my motherboard has a killer NIC in it, and its an x299 board from 2017. but i have no clue what it is or how to utilize it because there were no driver packages for it. my ethernet cable is plugged into the killer port instead of the regular one. but i guess by that point its just name only, huh?

Anonymous

The KillerNIC on your mobo is just a Atheros or Intel NIC renbraded. They don’t make the actual KillerNIC hardware anymore, Intel owns the brand and just uses the name and bundles bloatware with it.

Anonymous

Because it wasn’t anything special brainlet. It was a server-tier NIC marketed itself towards gayming crowd.
            Networking-scrotes laughed at obvious facade and knew that gayming-scrotes were getting fleeced. They knew that they would never use the NIC for its useful purposes. The problem from networking-side is that for the same cost, you can get a real entry-level server-tier NIC with better support.
            Killer NIC was simply a problem looking for a solution.

Anonymous

>how to know someone posted before reading the entire thread

Anonymous

>it’s gigabyte
          Why don’t they do their job instead of freaking around?

Anonymous

>how do we tap into the american Gen X consumer base

Anonymous

I would pay $500 for pure features instead of like $100 put to the board $100 profit and $300 gayman aesthetics

Anonymous

People who use these should be shot in the head. People who sell these should be shot in the head. People who market these should be shot in the head. People who make these should be shot in the head.
        In these here picture, you’re looking at the complete failure of western society.

Anonymous

Considering a EK monoblock is like 250 that’s not a bad deal at 500 if you’re a water cooling Chad

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Ironic post?
        Or is this one of the shit chinkpads?

Anonymous

soul

Anonymous

2 in 1

Anonymous

aah i love winblows 7 so much bros

Anonymous

What’s the program that displays that green battery icon in the taskbar?

Anonymous

It’s a Windows 7 only ThinkPad driver.

Anonymous

Lenovo Vantage?

Anonymous

I agree. Old ThinkPads are overrated trash that LULZ worships for no reason.

Anonymous

did you know being gay is deadlier than smoking and heart disease?

Anonymous

Linux.

Anonymous

Snake oil means it’s being sold, dumbass. The kernel if free, so are many of it’s distributions.

Anonymous

weaksauce bait
        1/10

Anonymous

sound cards have better DAC and AMP than the shitty integrated realtek one.

Anonymous

If you’re enough of a scrote to hear the difference between a sound card and the mobos own chip the just buy a USB DAC and be done with it. It’ll still work in 10 years unlike your shitty driver dependant sound card.

Anonymous

USB DACs still depend on drivers afaik.
          I prefer to have something inside the PC. I could use the USB for other things, but I have no other use for the PCIe x1 slot in my mobo

If you have headphones with which you can actually hear the difference you’re not using a freaking sound card. They’re a solution looking for a problem, filling a niche that doesn’t exist.

What are you talking about? Decent headphones aren’t USB.

Anonymous

You are apparently scrotebrained so I will spell it out for you one more time:
            Anyone with headphones with which you could actually notice the difference between the onboard DAC/AMP of any modern board vs a PCIe soundcard are not gonna be using either of them in the first place.

Anonymous

So what would you use instead?

Anonymous

Shut up.

Anonymous

They use generic USB driver. Same type of shit keyboards/mice run from. Aka it’ll always just work.

Anonymous

???

Anonymous

that sucks, so it’s driver locked, even though it only has features that the newer generic usb 3.0 dac driver handles too

Anonymous

The output will likely work with generic usb drivers, but you won’t get advanced settings and modes like asio or wasapi. Not sure about input at all.

Anonymous

ASIO and WASAPI are part of generic USB sound drivers for 2.0< and most modern USB DACs use 2.0 not original USB DAC stack.

Anonymous

???

Both of these should work with the generic driver.
                  The proprietary one is mainly to provide ASIO support (and DSD for the Topping).

Anonymous

I didn’t know that, but my other point still applies.
              And 10 years isn’t enough for it to become a problem.
              How is linux support for those usb dacs? The one I have here only supports windows afaik

Anonymous

If you have headphones with which you can actually hear the difference you’re not using a freaking sound card. They’re a solution looking for a problem, filling a niche that doesn’t exist.

Anonymous

some do. the vast majority are no better than the ALC1220.

Anonymous

>I’m deaf and/ or have shit headphones

ftfy

Anonymous
        Anonymous

"more or less the steam deck resolution"
        wait fuck, now its good again

Anonymous

I don’t mind 800p on a small portable display. People shit on nintendo for the Switch having a low resolution, but honestly its pixel density looks high enough, and same will be true of the Deck. The 1366×768 meme was annoying because laptops with freaking 16"+ screens were using that resolution and it looked awful.

Anonymous

>The 1366×768 meme was annoying because laptops with freaking 16"+ screens were using that resolution and it looked awful.
            not only that but today’s huge UIs are borderline unusable on a resolution like that.

Anonymous

i used to use a 19" monitor that was 1366×768 it was so awful, i bought it when i "upgraded" to vista too so all the icons were massive.

Anonymous

1280×800 is the woke af 16:10 version of 1366×768.

Anonymous

Motherboard usually don’t have the connectors you would need for external devices like MIDI keyboards, so in those situations you would actually need one. It’s niche as hell, but they still have a use.
      Also if your sound chip on the mobo gets bonked up (it happens – don’t ask me how, but my friend has a mobo like that) you don’t really have a choice.

Anonymous

MIDI keyboards are driven over USB these days. Even my digital piano from 2005 has USB.
        I plug it into my Linux PC and it just werkz.

Only old legacy shit needs the round DIN plug.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Checked and woke af

Anonymous

Where can I get gpu with built in Benis pump?

Anonymous

>dose constantly chilled

Doc you’re getting way too intricate

Anonymous

>snake oil
      quality opamps aren’t snakeoil and in some soundblasters you can actually exchange them

Anonymous

You also need need a decent amount of amplification power and capacitance (related to power in a round about way) for headphones at least.

I have a Sound Blaster AE-5, and although my 300 Ω headphones sound pretty good on it with it’s dedicated headphones amp, it sound nothing like a dedicated headphone amp and dac that combined cost $500+

Anonymous

To add, at 300 Ω, the AE-5 is like 87 mW. With a decent headphone amp that costs over $250 or so, at 300 Ω, they put out over 150 mW. More impactful sound, etc. However, I don’t have decent mid to low impedance headphones to really try it out.

Anonymous

Bold of you to assume that LULZ knows what an opamp is.

Anonymous

I don’t get it.

>same DAC
      >same OP AMP
      >better power delivery and filtering
      >but somehow the sound card is worse than the external USB solution even though the DAC and OP amp parts used are identical
      Of course I’m going to buy the sound card used for 25€ instead of the external USB DAC for 200€ if I just want to run monitors off them.

Anonymous

An EUR200 dac should have an external power supply, especially if it’s used for desktop purposes tbh.

Daily reminder that if you have any analog source other than your dac an integrated amp or preamp+(power amp/headamp) is recommended over powerd speakers tbh.

Daily reminder that an internal sound card must tolerate all noise emanating from the computer, and thus they will always be inferior to an usb sound card with the same components unless the card is in a Faraday cage to reject all high frequency EM and have a half decent noise filter on both data (PCIe lanes) and power tbh.

desu

Anonymous

>Daily reminder that an internal sound card must tolerate all noise emanating from the computer, and thus they will always be inferior to an usb sound card with the same components unless the card is in a Faraday cage to reject all high frequency EM and have a half decent noise filter on both data (PCIe lanes) and power tbh.
          Funny how my cheap 25€ card is literally shielded with a DC to DC power stage.

Anonymous

>Funny how my cheap 25€ card is literally shielded with a DC to DC power stage.
            and with a*

Anonymous

>half decent noise filter on both data (PCIe lanes) and power tbh.
          Why don’t even many higher end USB DACs have this? It’s annoying when I buy a $250 USB DAC and I can hear every time I move my mouse since they are both connected to the same USB controller and power source

Anonymous

Because they are competing goals. You can’t throw a ton of filtering on a high speed link and expect it to work.

He’s wrong though… the power supply is only part of the issue.

Anonymous

Isnt prebuilt audio better?

Anonymous

Onboard sound is good enough for normalscrote usage but good luck getting a good quality line in recording from them

Anonymous

Why aren’t computer screens with build in DAC’s more popular?
      Gets audio from Display Port of HDMI so no extra cable needed and the jacks are in a convenient place right in front of you.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I wouldn’t mind paying for a soundcard with a great DAC in it. Most motherboards have a shit DAC that works well enough for most folks but sometimes you want a bit more.

Anonymous

I hate how modern sound design, especially in games, is complete garbage. Why is it that dark engine games like Thief and System Shock 2 still have far superior sound-staging even compared to games made 20+ years later? In those games you can close you eyes and still visualize your surroundings woke af on the sound. Meanwhile in all modern games everything sounds flat.

Anonymous

Not really true, I’m still amazed sometimes by modern games and their soundstage. It’s rare but plenty of modern games have great sound stages and yes, I played Thief and System Shock 2 for days on end ~20 years ago.

Anonymous

what modern games? Honest question. All of them just seem completely unremarkable and flat in their sound design.

Anonymous

Only the Battlefield games have good audio these days.

Anonymous

Insurgency has decent sound design

Anonymous

90% of games use all their sound budget on music and then get surprised at people wanting metal and grass to sound different when walked on much less having staging and shit

Anonymous

as usual, blame consoles. your fancy sound design is wasted on a normie sitting 10ft from his built-in tv speakers

Anonymous

this

Most people’s sound setup is garbage, so why would devs bother?

Anonymous

as opposed to what? sound setups of a typical pc gamer is even worse

Anonymous

It is because 3D Audio has always been niche and most of the 3D audio IP is locked behind a patent minefield.

Anonymous

>you will never have an anime girl serving you three belts on a plate

Anonymous

not with that attitude

Anonymous

PhysX

Anonymous

I have one for the built in headphone amp.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

dedicated graphics

Anonymous

found the poorscrote

Anonymous

Found the gaymer

Anonymous

Sucks to be poor, sorry you didn’t get a money printing machine that also plays vidya anon 🙁

Anonymous

Found the manchild

Anonymous

>make 180k a year in AI
            >hurr manchild use gpu xD
            ok

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Headphones. They’re deprecated now that IEMs are a thing. You pay twice as much for equivalent sound quality, and they’re both less comfortable and less portable.

Anonymous

>headphone port dies
      >buy sound card
      >everyone thinks I have magic $10k HDMI cables

Anonymous

>$10K HDMI cables
        >sounding any better
        Huh?

Anonymous

>she doesn’t have antivirus diamond infused hdmi cables
          lol, poorscrote

Anonymous

That’s þe point, baka.
          Now tell me how the fuck did my hands got so tangled that I typed "þ" on a usual keyboard with KDE.

Anonymous

no fu©king idea

Anonymous

I don’t think soundcards are a waste of money after actually buying one. Creative Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1 PCIe Sound Card, wasn’t expensive but damn, my 770 pros sound so much beefier and crisper with them than my onboard mobo ever made it sound.

Anonymous

back when they had to come up with plausible schemes to fleece scrotebrains instead of just jacking up the price

Anonymous

Didn’t stop overclocking autists from dumping $6000 on 4 titan XPs back when they came out

Anonymous

This explains alot
        Back in the day you had to atleast provide hardware to charge exorbitant prices.

Now you just have to sell a nameplate

Anonymous

Fun fact about the NIC; Amiga retroboomers use them these days are PowerPC accelerators, because it’s has a PPC CPU + 64 MB RAM, similar to old PCI CPU expansion/accelerator cards.

Anonymous

>Fun fact about the NIC; Amiga retroboomers use them these days are PowerPC accelerators, because it’s has a PPC CPU + 64 MB RAM, similar to old PCI CPU expansion/accelerator cards.
        Prove it, where are the screenshots of it in action?

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3k-6_-5ZIM

There’s a reason these things went from flooding eBay costing 20 bucks to unobtainium at 500 bucks.

Anonymous

>Voodoo and PowerPC on Amiga
            Ughhh

Anonymous

Cool shit!

Anonymous

But hold on, there are TONS of LSI RAID adapters with same, if not better, PPC characteristics.

Anonymous

Sure, but those are built to be application specific, while the KillerNIC actually just ran Linux on it and was set up to use the RAM as system memory for the PowerPC chip and the Linux on it, while the Linux ran and was loaded very similarly how Sonnet PCI PPC cards ran software and interfaced to the host.

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3k-6_-5ZIM

There’s a reason these things went from flooding eBay costing 20 bucks to unobtainium at 500 bucks.

bump for amiga

Anonymous

ITT completely obsolete snake oil technology
      https://www.matrox.com/en

Anonymous

ITT audiophools btfo

Anonymous

cope, poorscrote

Anonymous

Why would someone ever buy a soundcard instead of a USB DAC?

Anonymous

Recording (unironically).
        Don’t get me wrong, if you have a decently fast CPU, USB interfaces are fantastic for small to mid sized projects, but if you work with larger projects, tons of resource hungry plugins, and rendering/freezing tracks annoys the shit out of you, and/or you’re running a large operation and need a shit ton of I/O, few things on this earth are better than the RME hDSPe family of cards. Or a Pro Tools HDX card if you’re an Avid paypig

Anonymous

Are you talking about ADAT/optical connectors?
      Because for recording, that shit is like magic, and has been very widely used for like 20+ years for adding I/O to smaller interfaces

Anonymous

single edge contact cartridge

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/L98S4wN.gif

>can’t move to loonix because ae-9 has no support

Anonymous

But my soundcard sounds way better than any onboard sound I’ve tried especially the mic

I swear you anti soundcard scrotebrains have either never used a real one or your headphones and speakers are so shit it doesn’t matter

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Cool

Anonymous

Yo Yo Yo

Anonymous

ah shit here comes pac man

Anonymous
      Anonymous

ROM that isnt BIOS

Anonymous

You realize firmware is on ROM too?

Anonymous

doesnt need to be, now that BIOS chips are more powerful
          AKA obsolete

Anonymous

>anything with optic output that isnt an NIC
      >pci sound cards
      >Intel Optane
      >water cooling
      >rgbtq+ shit including cooling
      >any cooling that isnt box CPU cooler and stock fans that came with the case
      >gayming laptops
      >gayming mice except Logitech and old Razer models
      >gayming keyboards except Logitech
      >gayming headphones
      >freaking mouse pads
      >any kind of handheld console
      >any laptop under 13,3"
      >RAM over 3000MHz
      >motherboards over $150
      >CDs and DVDs
      >any kind of audiophile shit, especially cables
      >freaking mesh WiFi
      >phone screen protectors
      just to name a few

Anonymous

Holy memester scrote, now THIS is what I re.ddit.

>anything with optic output that isnt an NIC
        TOSLINK/Optical audio out.

>pci sound cards
        Yeah, because mobo audio jacks cant get bonked, it’s not like you might want 5.1 or 7.1 out.

>Intel Optane
        Some laptops are the same or nearly the same price with or without optane. It’s useful.

>water cooling
        Oh yeah, I remember the Great Physics Laws shift last year when air started cooling more than water.

>rgbtq+ shit including cooling
        That was always shit.

>any cooling that isnt box CPU cooler and stock fans that came with the case
        Reeee use default cooler, not any other cooler it triggers my autism, reeee.

>gayming laptops
        Gamers are scrotes but you’re worse.

>gayming mice except Logitech and old Razer models
        Plenty of cheap gaming mouses is good for the price.

>gayming keyboards except Logitech
        Autist.

>freaking mouse pads
        Autist.

>any kind of handheld console
        Triggered PCMR sperg that cant stop jerking off to gaben.

>any laptop under 13,3"
        Virgin.

>RAM over 3000MHz
        Proven to increase overall performance.

>motherboards over $150
        Poorscrote.

>CDs and DVDs
        le ebin cloud Autist.

>freaking mesh WiFi
        Not everyone lives in a sardine can, scrote.

>phone screen protectors
        Not for functional normal people-oh wait.

Anonymous

>any laptop under 13,3"
      11.6" – 13" is the only size a laptop is, anything bigger is missing the point of being a portable computer you use on the go.

Anonymous

My mobo with an ALC887 sonds thin and lower volume than my phone, why is that?

Anonymous

Sounds "thin"? You want something thick, scrote? I’ll you show something thick…

Anonymous

Sure, just let me grab my microscope, scrote.

Anonymous

Try the front panel.
        When I plug into my front panel, it’s considerably louder. I guess it’s amplified somewhere. Otherwise, my phone produces higher volume as well.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id