Is there undeniable proof antimatter exists or is it just maths and speculation?

Home Forums Science & tech Is there undeniable proof antimatter exists or is it just maths and speculation?

• This topic has 53 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Is there undeniable proof antimatter exists or is it just maths and speculation?

Anonymous

There is no undeniable proof that anything at all exists.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Always has been

Anonymous

This is what science has ALWAYS been, it’s not our fault you were fed propaganda.

Anonymous

Yes, science only models nature. It’s not a blueprint of reality.

Anonymous

scrotebrain.

Anonymous

All you know that exists is your senses, everything existing means it has an effect on your senses. Doesnt have to be direct, reading about antiparticles on a book is an effect on your sense of sight
          >how do magnets work
          because x causes y that causes z that causes p that causes…. then you feel the magnets sticking

Anonymous

Anon, most of "science", that is our attempt at making sense of everything around us, is a speculation.

Anonymous

Believe the science! Worship the science! Pray to science!

Jokes aside, your guys realistic take on science is very refreshing. Just dropped by here for the funny horse pic and was pleasantly surprised. The only thing you can truly know for certain is that you exist. And even that’s a bit iffy.

Anonymous

Do you know what’s not refreshing?
          The "BUT WHAT IF EVERYTHING IS JUST AN ILLUSION" pseudo-philosphical attitude
          Most of us managed to grew out of solipsism after our teen years

Anonymous

its inconsequential if everything is an illusion

Anonymous

But Anon, I didn’t freaking say that, it’s just the basic "None of us actually knows what the fuck is going on for sure" statement to go along with that anons comment

Anonymous

It’s very different saying
              >There’s stuff we don’t know
              From what you said in your post
              >The only thing you can truly know for certain is that you exist. And even that’s a bit iffy.
              For example, I don’t need to doubt my own existence as I don’t need to doubt yours
              I don’t need to doubt that objects fall towards the Earth, the Earth orbits the Sun, or that sunlight warms and illuminates
              Am I nitpicking? Maybe, but that’s because you should have worded your argument better, if that wasn’t your intention

Anonymous

I don’t know. But it seems that the whole "everything is just an illusion" thing
            is only something that the anti-solipsists carry around as one of their illusions.

Anonymous

This. There has been a surge of the ‘can’t know nuffin’ scrotebrains recently and they seem to have joined forces with the ‘le evil soience’-posters.

Anonymous

>everyone who disagrees with me is part of some sort of organized conspiracy to troll me
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Anonymous

I’m not calling you a troll, I’m calling you scrotebrained

Anonymous

Did you? Caring so much about maturity is a sign of a child’s mind.

Anonymous

ever heard of a PET scan?
      guess what the p stands for

Anonymous

Penis Enhancing Testosterone

Anonymous

why is it believed that there should have been as much matter as antimatter in the begining and that therefore nothing should exist?
      why should it be symmetrical?

Anonymous

because nothing = 0

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Because it’s a convinction of ours everything should be highly isotropic, and when not, there should be a clear reason for that

[…]

We’ve observed antimatter-matter annihilation events in particle accelerators, and observed the difference from positrons and electrons in cosmic rays

Anonymous

how can you observe such tiny things colide and dissapear?

Anonymous

With a very big magnifying lens.
            Bullshit aside, I don’t really know how particle accelerators work. I guess I just trust the people who opeate them.
            I’m sure the answer can be found easily enough with wikipediaor google.

Anonymous

With detectors, and it really depends on what you are trying to measure.
            The first detectors for radioactivity were photographic cameras. In fact radioactivity was discovered almost as soon as cameras were invented in the early 19th century. Dont know why people credit Rutherford when it was his father that witnessed radioactivity 50 years before, as part of a committee.

Anonymous

my mind cant concieve how can a man made device detect a particle like that

Anonymous

>my mind cant concieve
                classic, misspelling and all
                ty for the laugh

Anonymous
                Anonymous

In general i dont know, i only know of detectors for photons and electrons and alpha particles, these were all detected with photographic plates.
                Theres other types of detectors like scintillating crystals and cloud chambers but i really dunno about how they work.
                I think neutrinos were first detected indirectly due to momentum conservation, in a nuclear reaction there were ejected electrons and photons or something and the momentum didnt add up.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

no, but its not as simple as "we made it up so out shit makes sene". Experiments work really well with this model, which requires this dark matter thing. There is predictive value in this outrageous assumption, its not just "here be dragons".

Anonymous

dark matter =/= antimatter
        scrotebrain

Anonymous

I wasn’t talking about antimatter scrotebrain, learn to read.

Anonymous

learn to write
            your comment makes no sense

Anonymous

I am a brainlet, is it when antimatter comes into contact with matter they both disappear?

Anonymous

When a particle comes into contact with its anti-particle they annihilate each other and turn into energy (photons) but a positron would not annihilate if it hit say a proton.

Anonymous

>particle comes into contact with its anti-particle they annihilate each other
          explain mesons

Anonymous

Unstable, and positrons and electrons can also coexist for some small time

Anonymous

do we know what causes them to annihilate or why it has to be the same type of particle

Anonymous

QED and its only a probable event its also possible for a photon to spontaneously disappear and create a positron-electron pair

Anonymous

It’s not like anti-matter is from the evil dimension. A positron is "matter" just as much as an electron is. A particle and its antiparticle exists, for many particles.

Anonymous

Have you tried googling your question you scrotebrain?

Anonymous

Telling a crank to inform himself is like telling a jellyfish to get out of the water.

Anonymous

What makes you think you can find all answers on Google?

Anonymous

Past experience. It’s certainly a lot better than killing a thread here for a stupid question.

Anonymous

The OP made a stupid question but its a fact that google gets worse every day.

Anonymous

I can only find good answers to non-trivial subjects in books. Amazon>Google.

Anonymous

Try using a KDK integrator combined with a Hamiltonian splitter (avoid BH entanglement). Works for me!

El Arcón

Nothing is undeniable. Some denials are stupid.

Anonymous

no u

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id