Is there really any practical difference in 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G?

Home Forums Science & tech Is there really any practical difference in 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Is there really any practical difference in 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G? How come we didn’t just stop at 2G, what’s the point in upgrading it?

And I’m asking because I actually don’t know. You’ve always been able to talk and text on phones in real time, so what’s the difference in changing anything past 2G?

Anonymous

>what’s the difference in changing anything past 2G
      new phones don’t support it

Anonymous

Yes they do. Phones regress backwards in Gs when in poor service areas. I’ve even seen my 4G phone saying it’s using 3G and 2G in weak signal areas.

Anonymous

Bandwidth, mostly.

Anonymous

Is there even a point in making the bandwidth THICCer?

Anonymous

yes so that websites can be more bloated. Also videos.

Anonymous

You don’t want to browse the modern web at 40kb/sec. Sites would take forever to load.

Anonymous

I don’t know if you know what I meant. I’m talking about the actual bandwidth. (I don’t know the actual numbers, but this is an example.) What’s the real difference if the bandwidth is 5KHz versus 13KHz? (Probably not that wide, but whatever.)

Anonymous

Maybe I’m missing something, but more bandwidth means that more data can be transmitted in the same amount of time, because you have more frequency space to work with. Amateur radio is really cucked when it comes to bandwidth, so their data modes are really slow.

Anonymous

>more data can be transmitted in the same amount of time
                As far as I understand, that’s pretty much just reliant on signal formatting. But I suppose with a wider bandwidth you can have more signals being transmitted or received in a single channel.

Anonymous

Signal formatting is tied into the bandwidth. Using amateur radio as an example again, a morse code signal can be fit in 150Hz of bandwidth, but a voice signal using single-side band will use about 3000Hz (or 3KHz) of bandwidth, because it contains more information. I don’t know how much bandwidth the different generations of cell phone data signals use, but that would be interesting to know.

Anonymous

That’s pretty much what I was referring to, but I was more referring to having multiple signals within a wide bandwidth channel, like voice, text, internet data, clock synchronization, etc.

Anonymous

if im not mistaken, bandwidth is barely measured in Mhz, ie. 4G band 1 goes from 1920MHz to 1980, so bandwidth is (I guess) 60Mhz.
              The determining factor in speed seems to be technology and implementation characteristics, not frequency itself. 5G uses 800MHz bands, 2G and 3G did as well. 2G’s implementation was just very limited.

Anonymous

sites took forever to load already on 2G back in 2007. Specialized websites designed for 2G, mind you.

Anonymous

>Is there really any practical difference
      No. All of them promised to give us interesting forms of brain cancer – all of them failed to do so.
      It’s quite disappointing actually. It’s YOTLD for >>>LULZ rejects.

Anonymous

4G is faster or some shit idk. It lets me watch garden gnometube videos in public so whatever.
      5G is for areas with a lot of traffic like cities or something

Anonymous

scrotebrain.

Anonymous

I get better data with edvo than LTE

Anonymous

2g, 3g and 4g aren’t a type of technology. It’s a speed rating. Any technology that meets the speed standards is considered 3g or 4g or whatever. That’s why when 4g was released there was actually different versions such as WiMAX and HSDPA etc.

Anonymous

5G is a CIA project to blast cancer causing mind control waves into the population

Anonymous

2, 3, 4, 5 g are literally same shit with different wave lenghts, latter gs require finer (and more expensive) reciever but allow for faster information transmission. The point is the latter because normalscrotes really NEED to stream netflix in 4k on the go.

Anonymous

Aww sweet A bot thread!

Anonymous

5G runs on like 800Mhz.
      Some Britain in the military called it a weaponized frequency because it’s like microwave.

Anonymous

Isn’t all the Gs in the "microwave" spectrum though? Except that 5G is (probably) smaller wavelength and higher wattage?

Anonymous

Bongs are scrotebrained.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/800_MHz_frequency_band
        TL;DR: it’s been used for TV for the better part of a century.

Anonymous

Cordless phones were using 800MHz too.

But then again, the whole "cell phones/cordless phones causes cancer" thing isn’t new.

Anonymous

I’m (just) old enough to remember aeroplanes causing all sorts of horrible things. This sort of luddism isn’t new.

[…]
            and most important thing to remember is that radio/tv transmission towers transmit at hundreds of watts, cellphones barely reach 0.25w iirc
            there simply cannot be any danger at such low power ratings, it would be like worrying that your USB cup heater could potentially burn you. It just can’t happen, your body dissipates the heat faster.

To be completely fair though, you’re not pushing a TV radio mast against your head for an 1+ a day. Inverse-square law and all that.
            Having said that, the fact that it isn’t ionising radiation makes it moot.

Anonymous

>pushing a TV radio mast against your head
              no one talks on the phone anymore
              I guess it’s in the pocket next to your nuts though.

Anonymous

>no one talks on the phone anymore
                What kind of oblivious idiot are you?

>I guess it’s in the pocket next to your nuts though.
                That is still true though.

Anonymous

sure, and it isn’t ionising radiation, but scrotebrains don’t like hearing about types of radiation, and will try to make a point about your body receiving any kind of man-made radiation being bad. So you can mention we are currently receiving Radio Moscow, our local pirate TV station, a nearby airport’s ATC and 100 other sources all day every day and we aren’t all dying of cancer.

Anonymous

I thought Radio Moscow didn’t exist anymore? I thought they stopped operating in the early 90s when the Soviet Union was dissolved.

Anonymous

I wanted to say BBC Radio but the name could derail the conversation

Anonymous

What’s wrong with BBC? I don’t actually listen to them, so I don’t know. But I’d guess it’s probably safe to assume they’re spewing garbage just like everything else, right?

Anonymous

The thing I don’t get is how everyone talks about how microwave radiation isn’t dangerous cause it isn’t ionizing radiation, but still, it can flip the shit out of your atoms. And even if it doesn’t physically burn you, if it’s flipping the atoms of your DNA it certainly isn’t a good thing. There’s no way that won’t disrupt the structure of it.

Anonymous

it doesn’t "flip the shit out of your atoms", it’s slowly heating you up. So slowly, you are still dissipating that heat faster than it is being produced.

Anonymous

Do you not know how microwave ovens work? Yes it is flipping your atoms. A lot less than a microwave oven, but still doing it nonetheless.

Anonymous

You have to take mass, power, and distance into account you moron. Your tiny penis receiving continuous 1,000+ watts of a concentrated beam of 2.4GHz non-ionizing radiation only inches away from the source isn’t the same as your entire body receiving 0.01 watts of heavily weakened (see inverse square law) 2.4GHz non-ionizing radiation hundreds of meters away from the source. And if low frequency non ionizing radiation were as dangerous as described then we should have all been wiped out by higher frequency non-ionizing visible light radiation in the hundreds of THz a very very long time ago.

Anonymous

>I’m (just) old enough to remember aeroplanes causing all sorts of horrible things. This sort of luddism isn’t new.
              What kind of "horrible things"? I live near an airport, and sometimes their radios interfere with my shit, but that’s about all that can happen.

Anonymous

That the sound they make can shatter bones, they put hens off the lay if they see them even at 30,000 feet, that God didn’t mean for man to fly and will strike you down – yeah, I’m old, yeah, I knew plenty of old people when I wasn’t.
                If I was rich, I’d actually like to be a pilot.

Anonymous

Oh yeah, I’ve heard of those arguments before. I’m not old enough to have witnessed people using such arguments though.

Did you know people also used to be just as opposed to stuff like cremation like 120 years ago?

Anonymous

Yeah, well, my grandmother was big on these sorts of things. But she was born in the colony of Victoria. Not the state of Victoria – the colony.

Anonymous

I thought Australia was just a single colony? I didn’t know parts were considered separate at a time. I’m an American, so I don’t really know much about Australian history.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/4uBsDK2.gif

It started out as one – then split into two, then we stole New Holland off the Dutch, then we found Tasmania, then it split again, then New Zealand went off and did its own thing… it’s a mess. Here’s a GIF from Shittypedia.

Anonymous

I knew the Dutch were involved in that area, but I just thought that the British territory was just the "colony of Australia" and that everything else was just sub regions and not technically their own colonies.

Anonymous

Cordless phones were using 800MHz too.

But then again, the whole "cell phones/cordless phones causes cancer" thing isn’t new.

and most important thing to remember is that radio/tv transmission towers transmit at hundreds of watts, cellphones barely reach 0.25w iirc
          there simply cannot be any danger at such low power ratings, it would be like worrying that your USB cup heater could potentially burn you. It just can’t happen, your body dissipates the heat faster.

Anonymous

I repair microwave radars on aircraft. It’s only dangerous if you’re standing like 10 feet in front of the antenna while it’s running.

Anonymous

Do you like having mobile internet, because you are not having that with 2G. 2G is slower than dialup.

Anonymous

Short: newer "G" = higher speed & lower latency, 5G is now FASTER than most home internet coaxial connections in the US effectively making them obsolete

Long: Phone companies like money and laggy dogshit speeds means less money but we don’t have a magical technology that can beam thousands of wireless 1,000Mbps connections 100 miles away in the milliwatt range so we have to make compromises. You can either have really low frequency signals like AM radio (0.001GHz) that can travel 100 miles at 0.048Mbps or very high frequency signals like 5G mmwave (20+GHz) that can travel 0.1 miles at 1,000Mbps. Now ideally with unlimited resources we would just have like 1 trillion 5G towers and we’d all basically live in a utopia where we would video chat with each other on 200 inch TVs at 16K resolution and 240 FPS. Because of limited resources we’re forced to mix and match frequencies but the good news is as the tech becomes cheaper and old 2G/3G cell sites are finally decommissioned the average wireless internet speed goes up.

Anonymous

Transferring data quickly doesn’t make for a utopia.

Anonymous

just need to see the current state of the internet to confirm that

Anonymous

I still don’t really get it. Data transfer is pretty much just reliant on signal formatting. At that point, what does it really matter what frequency we use? AM radio or microwave or whatever?

Anonymous

Because of the range, the lower the range the more cell sites required for the same coverage. 1 trillion 5G towers doesn’t sound very cheap, does it?

Anonymous

I still don’t get it, and I don’t see how your example is supposed to clear anything up.

Can’t you just broadcast the same exact LTE or WiMAX signal on a different frequency like short wave? I don’t see why not.

Anonymous

even if signal formatting is important, using 1GHz or 50GHz will make a difference because 50GHz cycles 50 times faster per second. However the higher 5G bands apparently can’t go through even thin walls. It would be used for certain situations, with regular bands being used for mass deployment.
          Kinda like 5ghz vs 2.4ghz on wifi, 5ghz is extremely fast but you drop as soon as you walk away from the router.

Anonymous

I guess that’s why the signal sounds more clear the higher you go.

Anonymous

You’re gonna get wifi cancer, and you’re gonna be happy!

Anonymous

There’s a reason 5G was banned in Europe

Anonymous

Yes: scrotebraination.
        I took a quick look at the subject – there are yurotards who’ve also banned wi-fi because RAY DEE AYY SHUN!

Anonymous

As you go up in the numbers the speeds get faster (not relevant for calls, but it is for internet) and the reception gets worse.

Anonymous

>Those aren’t even transmitting anything, they’re only receiving

So that’s what it’s like having a room temperature IQ.

Anonymous

What could the AM/FM radio players possibly be transmitting? They’re literally receive only. What they hell could they possibly be transmitting? Do you not understand anything what I’m saying?

Anonymous

>Is there really any practical difference in 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G? How come we didn’t just stop at 2G, what’s the point in upgrading it?
      Holy shit I’ve seen some ignorant questions on LULZ before but this might take the cake.

Anonymous

But phone data is stupid.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.