Is lucid dreaming really something people are capable of?

Home Forums General & off-topic Is lucid dreaming really something people are capable of?

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

is lucid dreaming really something people are capable of?
      theoretically if you were capable of it couldnt you make time go by so slow in your dream state you could live out many many years of your life, wake up, live one day in reality, and then go back to a new dream life to live out for years?
      isnt that some sort of pseudo-immortality?
      for instance you have the basics of chess saved to your memories, couldnt you spend a few dream centuries playing it in your head and then wake up ready to use it irl?

Anonymous

maybe people can but in the end your perception of time in the dream is bound also by your real body
      what im trying to say is you may well live 100 years in the dream world but it will be like a glimpse cause your body’s waking up dictates when you stop dreaming

Anonymous

but thats immediate memory
        ive had dreams that happend to last a while in dream time and theyre still vivid after waking, if you could have one every single night thats living many lifetimes over right?

Anonymous

>That guy who lived an entire life in a dream, had kids, made a family. bought a house and then died.
        >Only to wake up realize it was all fake, got depression and killed himself

Anonymous

This unironically happened to me, I wasn’t even trying. I went through meeting the perfect girl, dating, engagement, marriage, having a kid, and woke up on the kid’s first day of school. I was completely shattered when reality set in. I genuinely felt grief as if my wife and daughter had just been killed in front of me. I called out of work and didn’t get out of bed all day, and was depressed for two weeks. The image of their faces fading from my mind was a blessing and a curse. I wish I could remember it clearer, I feel horrible for allowing it to fade. But if I could remember, I’d still be depressed.
          I really wonder if my consciousness slipped into an alternate reality or something. It was so real.

Anonymous

Lucid dreaming isn’t a sandbox you have full control over

When I was doing the dream journal/lucid dreaming exercises and started regularly lucid dreaming, it would be more like I woke up in a dream that was already manifested by my subconscious.

There were no real overt rules in place but I was still more or less confined to the dream “locale”. If I tried to do anything too crazy or exciting, my subconscious would flip into intruder mode and wake me up

Anonymous

cont.

Even if you could manifest a cohesive chess game in your mind, you aren’t going to get better at it because you wouldn’t be facing an opponent. You would just be cycling through all the information you already memorized.

Anonymous

but chess doesnt have new information, all the info you have to comprehend the pieces are cemented and everything else is trial and error, can you not come up with new conclusions in a dream state?

Anonymous

Exactly what kind of conclusions are you expecting to come up with

Anonymous

>can you not come up with new conclusions in a dream state?
            You can. I used to know a guy who was a software developer. He’d continue to program inside his dreams. He’d be standing in front of a board with lines of code on it.

Anonymous

>can you not come up with new conclusions in a dream state?
            Yes.
            exempli gratia:
            Kekulé, Mendeleev.

Anonymous

>theoretically if you were capable of it couldnt you make time go by so slow in your dream state you could live out many many years of your life, wake up, live one day in reality, and then go back to a new dream life to live out for years?
      Technically you can do it, but you cannot control what’s going to wake you up. Each time I had lucid dreams, shortly after I have started controlling the world around me, I woke up. Another time I just stayed there as an observer and it lasted for a lot longer.

Anonymous

I beg to differ. When I’m lucid dreaming, I almost always decide when I wake up. It’s typically at the point of a dream where I am bored or can’t think of anything else to do. I’ll start to feel something in my head like a rush of energy and whoom there I am in my bed. Like a splash of cold water. True story

Anonymous

I have a theme that keeps re-occurring where I become lucid and i’m "me" but a "diffferent me" if that even makes sense. And in the moment i have to use context clues to figure out wtf is going on, it feels a bit like how i’d imagine visiting a parallel reality would feel. And then since i kind of dwell on that when awake, i am guessing it influences me to keep having very similar dreams along those lines.
        Anyhow, i kind of have to play along because as soon as i try to change too much, its like the "Dream world" starts to shake or i hear loud crashing, and that leads to simply waking up.

Anonymous

I’ve been doing it every night for several years and I HAVE had dreams that felt like I was gone for weeks. The thing is you can’t just easily go "Okay dream, make time go slower!" The more you try to control and manipulate shit the more likely you are to wake yourself up. At least that’s how it’s been for me.

Anonymous

>is lucid dreaming really something people are capable of?
      Yeah they are, i only had a few lackluster ones though personally speaking.

Theoretically speaking i guess you could have a sudo-immortality so to speak, i remember uncovering the fact that i had a vast amount of recurring dreams at one point and it shocked for the rest of the day. This begs the question of what exactly constitutes as the length of living, is it the amount of memories, or just physical time? I have a bonked up feeling that i agreed to live a secret life while dreaming at the cost of not remembering any of it during the day, i can absolutely see myself agreeing to that honestly. Although i am not certain about how could someone go about lengthening a dream, perhaps extending it by increasing the amount of events that occur in that said dream? Slowing down time is just a perspective change in a dream.

Anyone got any ideas? i think it’s an interesting question.

Anonymous

yes. join discord.com/invite/FP354gnP2M. or just read stephen la berges book. its honestly not that hard to learn to lucid dream. just dream journal and do reality checks

the reason what you describe in OP doesn’t work is that dream-time and external time run at roughly the same speed. look up la berges research again. he did an an experiment about this exactly I think. basically the reaon people experience longer time frames in dreams is because the events are choppy and lots are cut out, but you don’t have the wherewithal to perceive it. If you could you’d notice it like a film. a 2hr film can cover events that span months.

Anonymous

I wouldn’t be so sure about this, i read about a couple cases of time displacement that you can even try out yourself. Jerry Alan Johnson covers it in the book of internal arts Vol.2 but i also seen it mentioned in a couple other places, give pic related a shot. Apparently if you can move physically in such state you can jojo tier shit, but i think it’s just some personal perspective shit.

Anonymous

Apparently you can move physically if you master it and do jojo tier shit*. I really should stop switching between tabs when typing

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous

>Verification not required.

Anonymous

has anyone experienced the orchestration of music in your dream while being fully lucid or semi lucid. You hear the music and you change it with your emotions and your thoughts. it is the wonderfull, heavenly and funny music, when i do it. it amazes me, because i can’t make music in waking life.

Anonymous

Ooh i had this happen once, but it was some odd garage rock music. I wasn’t exactly my taste of music but i was feeling it anyway, perhaps it’s some brain wave radio?

Anonymous

>theoretically if you were capable of it couldnt you make time go by so slow in your dream state you could live out many many years of your life, wake up, live one day in reality, and then go back to a new dream life to live out for years?
      Yes it is possible, just most people don’t realise it is. Whether this would have any negative psychological impacts is more the question. The longest I have heard of someone using time dilation to increase the amount of time it felt like they were in the dream for was 400 years, and that was just to see how long he could go for at the request of another person. As I understand it now the guy refuses to do any more experiments related to time dilation now after that. I can only imagine that if you felt like you had lived for 400 years, seeing multiple generations go by only to wake up that it must have some impact on you.

Anonymous

I also think a big problem with that is that there is a deeply rooted idea in society that dreams are meaningless or have no value, how often do people say to themselves "it’s just a dream.". So if you had a really touching heartfelt moment you will always get poisoned by that idea of it being "just a dream".

Anonymous

Yes, LD is real as well as AP.

Anonymous

Anon, time control in lucid dream is not easy to achieve, even for experienced practicioners.
      Not like Inception.

Anonymous

Yes. The big secret to lucid dreaming and dream yoga is avoiding weed, caffeine and booze. Anything that messes with your memories or sleep will mess up your dream worlds.

Anonymous

avoiding substances isn’t really the thing. not getting a dependance on them is
        even then that isn’t the secret, these are mainly things that might prevent someone with no expereince from having one

Anonymous

I don’t think I was ever able to figure out time manipulation. There were small tricks to extending the dream by spinning and focusing on certain things though. There are still limitations to what you can do in a lucid dream. It’s also possible to slip right into a lucid dream without a lapse in awareness which is a really neat experience.

Anonymous

yes, i’ve personally had intruders astral project into my dream and try and put things into my subconscious mind. people want to get into the occult until they have to deal with intruders like this on a daily basis and then want out. once you’re involved you can’t go back.

Anonymous

Theres a couple tricks to this I have found, which dont necessarily have to do with lucidity – but in fact are derived from my observations of experiences in normal dreams (which are just as important in terms of content as lucid dreams imo, case in point:)
      1. false memories – many dreams that seem like epic experiences or years long are actually in part due to false memories implanted at the early part of the dream. Once intermediate/advanced in lucid dreaming you can tell a distinct ‘dream feeling’ that has multiple uses – one use is for becoming lucid. Another use is for determining during recall where the false memory stopped and the real dream began. Anyways – in lucid dreams you can ‘implant’ false memories and the playback of these depending on quality can emulate dreamtime itself, but does not take nearly as much away from your REM time. I do not recommend overuse of this tech though
      2. chaining of discrete REM periods. Your sleep comprises of multiple 90 minute REM/NREM cycles, with rem starting at about 10 minutes, with the REM part getting longer each cycle as the night goes on (less non-rem and more rem) to around 60min or REM on the last cycle (of 8 hour sleep) – this is one reason why getting a good 6-8 hours is crucial. Each REM cycle is usually its own standalone dream, but beginner/intermediate dream recall skill will usually fail to distinguish. Anyways, non lucid dreams will sometimes chain the dream contents from one to another resulting in a ‘really long’ dream rather than multiple different ones. You can habituate this cycle using one or more methods to enter each REM cycle lucid without much break in continuity – much like a ‘pause’ and ‘resume’ tech

Anonymous

I’ve had many lucid dreams. I can only remain lucid for a short period of time and then I sort of fall back to sleep if you will. It seems like they last for maybe 3-4 minutes. I usually try to fly or fuck someone or say something weird to see their reaction.

Anonymous

Lucid dreaming is definitely real. I’ve only ever had one, and totally by accident. It was awesome.

Here’s the actual science as I understand it: dreaming plays an important role in memory, learning, and cognition. So much so that your body is willing to expend calories, which are scarce in nature, terrorizing you about how your teeth are falling out.

Similarly, visualization can be important in learning fine motor skills. For example, research has shown that, when assessed, people who only visualized playing a piano piece for an extended period of time did just as well as people who had actually practiced it.

So the bottom line is that, yes, you can absolutely practice things and improve at them by lucid dreaming. This is pretty common in a lot of fields, like computer science. We spend a lot of our life asleep so it makes sense to try. I don’t think astral projection is real though and you probably can’t live for 800 years in a dream.

Anonymous

I never realize that I’m in a dream until I wake. There’s one exception, when I knew I was passing out after staying up all night and then I found myself in a nearby park. It’s nightime, and I’m with a friend whereas I was cognizant enough of where I’d been just a short while ago to realize fairly quickly that I was in a dream. I started trying to influence the direction of the dream , but as soon as I became cognizant that it was a dream-state I started to feel myself being lifted into the sky – felt kind of good, like I was having some divine out-of-body experience. Only it ended in me waking up.

I guess you can’t completely realize that you’re in a dream without waking up?

Anonymous

You definitely can completely realize that you’re in a dream without waking up. The full realization is the qualifier of whether or not its a lucid dream. Partial realization then doubt – going back to normal dream thoughts, or the concept of lucid dreaming appearing in your dream (like a dream where you are reading a post about lucid dreaming on /x) is not lucid – but a good sign your subconscious is on board and throwing you bones.
        Almost everyone wakes up the first time they fully become lucid – its because you are so used to being actually awake with that level of consciousness. Dont worry, its a habit thats easy to break – you just have to calm the fk down when you do become fully lucid. The excitement of the revelation the first few times will soon wear down to ‘ok here I am again, I’m just going to chill and look around for a sec’. A really good way to – what is called dream stabilization – chill is to just observe your immediate surroundings – don’t think about all the things you’ve wanted to do while lucid, what you wanna do right now, etc. Dream stabilization is an underrated skill that will help you prolong your lucid dreams and will help you prevent premature waking many times over, especially when you get into the crazy intense stuff with lucidity :3

picrel: captcha get

Anonymous

Yes. It’s hard but I can do once a year. Did some training but never took it too seriously. Probably could do better if I try harder.

Never managed to slow down time. Never tried to be fair. Every time I lucid dream, I’m pretty sure time flows at the same rate as it flows in real world. As a matter of fact, I feel it actually flows faster because I’m excited and having fun.

>isnt that some sort of pseudo-immortality?
      Nope. And even if it was I wouldn’t want it either. I’m have gnostic beliefs and one of them is that we’re in a fake reality/hologram. Last thing I want is to create a nested fake world for myself and live in it forever. Fuck that.

>for instance you have the basics of chess saved to your memories, couldnt you spend a few dream centuries playing it in your head and then wake up ready to use it irl?
      No because I don’t think you can slow down time, not even in your head. Whenever I have dream that feels like it lasted several weeks it also has a lot of "time skips". In the end when I try to remember the dream, it’s really only a couple hours worth of actual content.

Anonymous

ive been lucid dreaming naturally for over 20 years. it only happens a few times a year though so I’m no expert.
      I can change many things but I don’t see how I could slow down time. there doesn’t seem to be any time in my lucid dreams.

Anonymous

i once accidentally lucid dreamed and in that dream i said something like "oh fuck i’m dreaming!" and everyone in that dream changed and it felt like they were turning against me and then i woke up.

Anonymous

Yes.
      >couldnt you make time go by so slow in your dream state you could live out many many years of your life, wake up, live one day in reality, and then go back to a new dream life to live out for years?
      No.

Anonymous

You can do exactly that OP and it’s living hell when you wake up.
      Don’t do it.

Anonymous

Dont think you could sustain it, when i was doing it, my body overheated, my brain is overclocked, like a gpu working full load to simulate the world, the environment and stuffs.
      Alway woke up with a messy bed soaking wet with my sweat, feeling hungry cause my brain burn all the energy, and that was only for 2 minutes dream.

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

I never mastered it but in high school I practiced reality checks, mindfulness, and dream journaling and I had lucid dreams much more frequently while doing so. So yeah, it’s totally doable just a bitch to get into the habit of doing

Anonymous

The only time I was 100% sure I had lucid dreamed was when I woke up from sleeping, then fell back asleep after 10 minutes.

The first thing I recall was how I was in my bedroom, immediately standing up and sort of standing through my bed as though it was not an obstruction. Like i was a ghost. Then, I remember looking at my hands, and throwing punches in the air. The weird thing is that the punches felt very heavy, and had a lot of air resistance on it. It didn’t last that long, and i woke up after that.

It was the most vivid dream experience I had ever experienced in my life and I want it again.

Anonymous

>thread I made at 6 am about a dumb thought I was having
      >still going
      youre alright LULZ

Anonymous

Are there dream demons that try to stop you from lucid dreaming?
      I only had alucid dream once by chance of realising in the dream I was dreaming. I could then do anything I wanted but I had to fous quite hard to do so. It only lasted a couple minutes before a giant monster/demon appeared in the sky and started to created some kind of magic circle around me with pillars. I then caused the ground to dissapear and fell into the void away from the demon. But as I fell down he reached down after me with his giant monster hand but right as he was about to catch me I woke up. It really seemed like there was some entity that did not want me lucid dreaming.

Anonymous

How healthy is your life style anon, back when i was more fit lucid dreaming was way easier, stress and real life pressures interfere with dreams because they keep your brain busy
        No cool dream demons is just your brain being to busy to handle lucid dreams

Anonymous

I have problems when I dream. It does not "click" even if I realise that I am dreaming. And the one time I did wake up in my dream, I could not do anything. I had no control over anything. And I could not think. The whole thing was on rails. Where as I knew I was in the train cart, but could not do anything about it.

Anonymous

I’ve had over 100 lucid dreams and this makes little sense to me. Even in regular dreams it feels like I’m the one making decisions, even if I don’t know it’s a dream. What does it mean to not being able to think?

The things you did do, did it feel like you were possessed or something?

Anonymous

The inner monolog is completly gone. I can’t sit down and be like do I wanna do A B C or D. It is a bit hard for me to explain not think.

Anonymous

So it’s more like you’re instinctually reacting to everything and never being able to reflect on what you’re doing? Most of my dreams are kind of like that, but sometimes I’m at least able to think about the reasons why I do things or decide how to act, even if I’m not lucid, and even if it’s very zombie-like.

I think if you really think about it, a lot of waking life is like this too, and very little of it has true self awareness.

Anonymous

yes, I did it a lot when I was younger, ~10 years ago
      lucid dreaming doesn’t inherently mean you can control your dream, just that you know you are dreaming while it’s happening
      that being said, this typically does entail a certain level of conscious control over your actions in the dream, and I did some "powerful" things like making the Sun rise, but this typically requires more experience and practice
      however, keep in mind that the notion that time passes by at a very different rate in dreams is false, studies have shown that you experience time in dreams at more or less the same rate as when you’re awake, with some variability (probably has to do with the frequency the brain is operating at, higher frequency would mean more perceived time as opposed to real time, i.e. that you can experience more in the same amount of time, lucid dreaming has been noted to occur with frequencies as high as gamma at ~40 Hz, which is ~1-4 times as fast as when you’re awake)

Anonymous

I always have very vivid dreams, reoccurring settings and even some reoccurring characters. Though the lucidity of them vary. Theres been very few times I’ve been fully aware that I was in a dream. When I did fully realize I would usually wake up. Though many times there are moments of clarity.

>one time I was a knight fighting an ogre and I thought "this would be easier in 3rd person" and it was suddenly 3rd person.
      After that I actually thought "how did I do that? oh I must be dreaming" and I woke up.

>there’s this strange sectioned city I dream of often. The center is a neon Rome. The next ring is a sea with tunnels and broken overpasses. Following that is a gothic city of perpetual night. And after that is open fields that end at a weird concrete dike structure. Beyond that is a never ending forest.
      Ive had multiple dreams in every area of this city and beyond and have made conscious decisions controlling the narrative of the dream but never fully lucid.

>the machine angel as I call her appears often right before I wake up.
      I will walk through a door into beige room with nothing but an old computer monitor and a metal woman suspended by wires and pipes that dig into her body. She always asks me what I want to do concerning the peoples of my dream.

Anonymous

i’ve been lucid dreaming for years on a pretty consistent basis.
      it’s really hard to even make anime girls appear in your dreams when you’re horny so trying to "expand" time in your dream would seem like a lot of work.
      i think if you can keep a good streak of actually staying asleep while aware, and you have a good grasp of control of your dreams, its possible to create scenarios that feel like day to day life and go about your business but it won’t feel like IRL time.
      it’s also hard controlling the dream world and even if you manifest a specific scenario, your subconcious will spit out crazy shit at the same time.
      so doing something like your chess example, you might make wrong moves but in your dream mind you think its correct, or a dream person will walk by and smack the board, or it might turn into a different game and situation entirely all while you’re aware of the fact you’re playing dream chess.

Anonymous

Yes. To me personally it happened only a couple of times and only for short parts of the dreams, as my consciousness and lucidity kept fading and strenghtening, but I know of people who had far, far better control and were able to have fully lucid dreams with ease and I have no reason to doubt them.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id