Is it worth it to get studio monitors vs regular speakers if all I’m doing is home recording

Home Forums Science & tech Is it worth it to get studio monitors vs regular speakers if all I’m doing is home recording

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Is it worth it to get studio monitors vs regular speakers if all I’m doing is home recording for fun and maybe to upload my shitty songs to Soundcloud or something? And if so what are some good monitors worth checking out without breaking the bank?
      Is it that big a deal that I use speakers?

Anonymous

Not sure but I’m sure "somebody" will come in quick and recommend some gay Amazon product for you!

Anonymous

As long as they’re decent I don’t care where they come from

Anonymous

JBL 305p
      Kali LP-6
      Adam T5V

Monitors have adopted flat frequency response+controlled directivity as a design goal faster than other speakers speakers, so well-designed ones are easier to find.

Anonymous

>Adam T5V
        This.

Anonymous

redpill me on it

Anonymous

It’s amazing value for the money, the perfect balance in this budget between "too nice-sounding" (KRK) and "revealing but too shrill" (Yamaha).

There are good comparisons on YouTube like this:

https://youtu.be/Tx2xYhZdYHY

Anonymous

> revealing but too shrill
              Yamaha are not that. Yamaha are more or less "pretty shit, but I am very used to them, hence very confident in my ability to mix on them". Mixing at the end of the day is way more art then science, and being confident and used to your tools is much more important then the objective qualities of said tools.

Anonymous

If you play music more often than you make music, get speakers. Unless you spend a lot of time mixing and mastering audio, it’s a waste of money and your music will sound dull and boring.

Anonymous

no, bazz boozted consoomer speakers are trash

Anonymous

If you want a goofy eq on your music just use software eq scrote.
        Why the fuck is wrong with flat frequency response? It’s exactly how the music sounded in the studio and the goal of all high end hifi.

Anonymous

The problem with flat response is the human being doesn’t interpret sound in a linear way.
          Bass freqs need to be progressively louder the lower the tone to sound the same volume as higher frequencies, for example.
          This is why most headphones are designed to look like this, instead of being totally flat.

Anonymous

I don’t know if I agree with this. I find that when I use studio monitors I discover a lot of stuff in songs that I didn’t hear before. Although I will say stuff that uses a bunch of 808 would benefit from a sub. That said you can always just apply an eq if you don’t like the flat sound.

Anonymous

I mostly just like plugging into my interface and trying out different amp sims and effects and just jamming. When I find something good I’ll record it and make a song out of it
        Worth it to get monitors then?

Anonymous

wouldnt 30Xp tier monitors plus a sub kill in value a similar hifi setup

Anonymous

LP-6s, two monoprice/partsexpress subwoofers, and a miniDSP DDRC-24 for Dirac Live and you ascend to another plane of existence.

Anonymous

this anon is the only one who got it right. Don’t buy speakers AT ALL if you don’t have any meaningful way of DSPing them (e.g. miniDSP, a Dirac capable box or even just a UMIK and Equalizer APO on a desktop PC). You WON’T get your money’s worth. Just get headphones instead then. You absolutely need to DSP speakers to match them to your room response if it is not purpose-built and measurably, acoustically treated. In a perfect scenario, you’d both treat the room and DSP afterwards, because there’d be less to correct and you won’t need to use as much filters. You can DSP any moderately decent speaker to have your preferred response and sound brilliant, while spending much more on voodoo and pseudo-hifi and doing no corrections will sound worse in most cases.
            TL;DR get some of the recommended bang for buck monitors like 305s, HS7 or Adam T5V/T7V (the 5" drivers on the HS5 have too little low end extension) and get a calibration mic (UMIK is good and cheap) and use REW+Equalizer APO to measure and EQ. If you already have speakers just do the latter with them and save some money.

Anonymous

Studio monitors are built for monitoring, speakers are built for listening to music. You would get the most value out of buying speakers if you want to use them for listening.

Anonymous

don’t listen to him
        music is 100% more interesting on my T8V

Anonymous

Of course this scrote has to show up, like clockwork.

Anonymous

Disagree, badly mastered songs may sound worse on good monitors but that’s not the monitors fault.

I would say: if you listen mostly sitting at computer, get near-field studio monitors. Don’t get speakers that are supposed to be placed multiple meters away from you and then put them on your table. But if you have the room and don’t have to worry about disturbing neighbors, by all means get good speakers and amplifier and blast away.

Anonymous

monitors are the only sane way to listen to music in a small room. so unless youre a richscrote with a big house, you should already have these.

Anonymous

the jbl 305p are great for mixing and listening to music. pretty inexpensive too.

Anonymous

Actual audio engineer here. Don’t listen to these idiots at all. For hobbyist music creation you want a decent pair of mixing headphones since you likely don’t have acoustic treatment in the room. Now if you are dedicated to spending some real fuckin money then by all means get some JBLs or Yamahas and put in some bass traps and acoustic panels, get some rugs, maybe even a baffle for your ceiling. Get the sound close on your norm speakers, then mixing headphones when your dialing in your compression/eq/etc.

Anonymous

you forgot the part where you cry because the band you recorded listens to it on there cellphone and they want more bass because they can’t hear the 808s

Anonymous

dont freaking remind me cunt

Anonymous

>apply Waves MaxxBass generously on your bass
            >good morning!

Anonymous

I don’t have the time or resources to acoustically treat a room. I just play in the loft of my home
        I mostly don’t want to use an amp anymore since it’s too loud so I play through my computer but hate wearing headphones

Anonymous

So an option for a budget is the m-audio 3” monitor pair. These are terrible for bass heavy music and are not ideal for mixing in general but for your use case they are perfectly acceptable.

Anonymous

just get studio monitors, the only thing you need is flat frequency response, anything else is overkill. high end speakers from brands like KEF and Revel all try to sound the same as studio monitors, and cost a whole lot more. save yourself the trouble broseph and get some quality 5" + monitors

Anonymous

Best monitors to get for 300~ USD for a pair?

Anonymous

check out AVE fusion 4’s or 5’s, they’re a good starting point

Anonymous

Really, it depends on if you intend to ever get better at mixing. If you can’t see yourself ever improving past a hobbyist/soundcloud zoomer level, just have speakers. If you want to actually improve over time, you’ll want to have an accurate idea of how your mixes sound so that you can learn how to fix them, in which case you’ll want some monitors, even if they’re cheap shitty ones. Rokits are a meme, some swear by them others will tell you they’re garbage, I think they’re garbage, and that no one would own them if it weren’t for LE HECKIN YELLOW WOOFER BOI.
      Best bang for your buck would be used Behringer, Alesis or M-Audio, look on Craigslist, you can probably find something decent for under $150.
      Just make sure they’re active, because you want amps that are matched to the speakers, otherwise there’s no point in buying them for accuracy or "flatness".

Anonymous

>Really, it depends on if you intend to ever get better at mixing
        that’s the plan eventually when i move and get a better room i can treat and make into a proper studio

Anonymous

This is pretty sound advice ngl

Anonymous

are stands necessary or can I just leave monitors on my desk ?

Anonymous

Top of desk is pretty bad due to desktop reflections and positioning unless you slouch heavily
        Some monitors have DSP to correct for it but that can be very hit/miss

If you can’t get them on separate independent stands and you’re bothered by the reflections put some isolating pads under at least and angle them up (but tweeter should still be aimed towards ears)

Anonymous

you sound like you know what you’re talking about
          let’s say i’m brand new to recording but want to get serious. at this point i have an interface and some Audio Technica headphones and that’s it.
          What should I be aware of and what equipment should I be looking to invest in in the future to get somewhat proficient at recording and mixing?

Anonymous

Depends on what do you want to record. If we are talking minimal viable, a pair of reasonably cheap monitors (Kali, Adam T, KRK, Yamaha, JBL). Just pick one pair, it doesn’t really matter which, they are all good enough, and get used to them. Then get a large diaphragm condenser, it is the most versatile type of microphone, especially at the low volume levels you’ll be dealing with. It can record pretty much anything and be reasonably good at it. Learn how to use it, learn recording what you’ve wanted with that mic first. Then move on to more specialized gear.
            Do not get SM57/58. Just don’t. Those are very good and affordable mics, industry standards for a reason. They will perform much worse on low levels, plus it’s really really hard to get a good sound out of them unless you are pretty skilled. Only get a 58 if you are a vocalist in a band.

Anonymous

actual mixing and mastering anon here
      if your room is not treated, the monitors will NOT work, so you are ok with getting regular listening monitors
      for mixing and such get designated good openback overear headphones or IEMs
      if your room IS treated, get a pair of lsr 305’s
      simple as

Anonymous

un knowledgeable scrote here
        have mixed some pretty good sounding records in untreated rooms on expensive monitors
        have made subpar mixes on cheap monitors in treated/nice rooms
        and vice versa for both
        even in a shit sounding room, if you can’t mix with nearfield monitors placed 2ft from your head, you probably just aren’t as skilled as you thought.
        i will say though, the open back headphone tip is sound advice, really the second best thing to having monitors, probably better than monitors if you have roommates or people who are gonna get pissed off about noise

Anonymous

im fairly young so i wont pretend to be the best at it but iv never used nearfields to mix on an untreated room because i just dont think ill make a good job and will probably waste lots of time

Anonymous

>im fairly young
            >pretend to be the best
            >iv never used
            >i just dont think
            >probably
            this bread in a nutshell

Anonymous

They are a very decent hassle free option, economic option. Overall a pretty good choice. Do not listen to cunts who say they are only for mixing, they are just a speaker at the end of the day.

Anonymous

THIS

Anonymous

Yamaha HS8. That’s all. Bye.

Anonymous

I ended up investing in a good pair of bluetooth headphones for when I’m near but not at the pc, but when I’m there there’s no reason to not use wired.

Anonymous

What even are monitors?

Anonymous

speakers used for monitoring the sound. it is however just market segmentation thing and there is no real difference between monitors and hifi speakers other than the connections and form factor. hifi speakers however are more often shit than monitors but that comes entirely down to the fact that its easier to sell shit to audiophiles.

Anonymous

Very helpful thanks. I used to think all things that made sound were just "speakers"

egas

we just don’t know

Anonymous

"speakers" = speakers, passive, designed to have a flattering frequency response, i.e. exaggerated bass and treble and scooped mids, so that your shit sounds nice through them

"monitors" = speakers designed to have a flat frequency response with no greatly exaggerated or attenuated frequencies, generally active, meaning they’re each paired to a built in amplifier, which removes the number of variables and prevents you from hooking them up to a home stereo amp that’s got an unnatural eq curve

Anonymous

Only scrote speakers are that exaggerated. LULZ is afraid to buy anything bigger than the size of a 1 liter bottle for some reason

Anonymous

When the fuck did this monitor/speaker false dichotomy become so prevalent? Holy shit just freaking play the audio I send to you in a cable without trying to process it

Anonymous

I am a guitarist who doesn’t want to use a loud as shit amp so I just want to play through my interface into an amp sim and out through the speakers/monitors. I don’t care much for the technicals

Anonymous

Even monitors need EQ, just get something cheap and umik-1.

Anonymous

"studio", when its not an advertising lie, means "acoustically flat frequency response"
      If you’re not used to it you’ll think the sound is weak and dull, because most people are plebs and have bass and treble taking up 80% of the volume.

Good, real "studio" and/or "reference" speakers/monitors probably aren’t what you want if you dont have, dont want, or cant afford/fit in your space a quality subwoofer.

Anonymous

Better have non-flawed monitors in a flawed room, than flawed speakers in the same flawed room.

Just don’t spend a fortune on super high-end monitors if your room is bad.

Anonymous

Can just EQ out resonances when your speaker+receiver is good enough.

My room develops peaks at 154, 118, 55, and 38hz mostly due to the weird entranceway shape. I just EQ it out by cutting some high q bands and lowering the output across the rest of the tuned EQ by 2db

Anonymous

What’s your opinion on using super small but accurate monitors like the Genelec 8010, plus monitoring the deep basses with headphones?

Anonymous

I have M-Audio BX5-D3’s, and they are OK for general use. I had some older M-Audio speakers but they had POS caps. Biggest issue with most studio monitors is caps going bad and HUMMMMMMM.

Anonymous

Most "regular" consumer speakers are cheap and have a very colored sound. Often following the "V"-shaped frequency response curve.
      This means that they will probably have boosted low-end and a bit increased high-end to make them sound "clearer".

I started out with a shitty gaming headset and a 2.1 plexgear speakers that were good for the price but after I made a couple songs and
      listened to them in the car or on some other speaker/headphone system my songs sounded like shit.

Why? Because regular monitors COLOR THE SOUND.
      After realizing this, I bought a pair of studio headphones with an emphasis on a FLAT frequency response curve.
      This means that the goal is to have the speaker/headphone not color the sound at all as much as possible.
      This, in turn means that you will actually hear what your mix sounds like.

If you want be able to show your songs to your friends and not be ashamed and wonder why it sounds so shit at their place, you probably want
      studio monitors/headphones.

You don’t even have to spend a lot of money anymore for good gear.
      I personally, have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770pro 82ohm. They cost like 100-130$ depending on where you are at.
      They are big bang for buck imo and have a really flat curve.
      I recently bought a pair of Focal Alpha 50 studio monitors and I am amazed at how good they sound. Very pleasant
      and a flat curve with some small peaks here and there.

The only downside is that you will need an audio interface to drive both the headphones and the monitors properly
      but you can get by with "budget" items here too.

So, do you NEED studio monitors/headphones?
      Absolutely not. You can find some "normal" speakers and headphones that are flat too and probably are cheap too.

But if you want to get more "serious" and whatnot and you really like producing music, I would personally say that
      studio monitors/headphones are 100% worth it.

Also get some acoustic treatment for your room. You can DIY with planks, fabric and towels.

Anonymous

Good advice tbh.

t. knower

Anonymous

>you will need an audio interface to drive both the headphones and the monitors properly
        >but you can get by with "budget" items here too

I would not go too low on the budget for an interface, certainly not below $150.

The MOTU M2 ($179) is probably the best budget interface on the market today. The sound quality, build quality, user interface and connectivity are amazing.

Anonymous

Also it’s MOTU so it has quite reliable drivers, unlike many other big manufacturers. Only RME has better drivers, but it’s way more expensive.

Anonymous

MOTU drivers are absolute freaking trash on Mac and Windows. Ended up giving mine away because I couldn’t even be bothered to sell it, not had a single issue with either of my RME interfaces, woke af germans.

Anonymous

If you think MOTU is trash, you haven’t experienced true trash… But yes, RME is the king of drivers. Plus they update their drivers forever, some people unironically use 15-year-old RME interfaces on the latest M1 Macs.

Meanwhile, my expensive Focusrite Forte is a useless brick, because Focusrite dropped all support and updates as soon as they discontinued it. I should have bought an RME Babyface (the OG model) instead, it would still be working.

Anonymous

I honestly have no freaking clue how (it’s not like a Xilinx Trident or whatever chip the hDSPe series uses can actually "run" VSTs the way TDM plugins can run on the Motorola 56k chips on an HD Accel card) but- holy freaking shit is the hdspe raydat an incredible interface. I had it in a shitty Ivy Bridge Dell and could work with more plugins and higher unrendered track counts than with a Pro Tools HD system. RME shit is straight up witchcraft yo

Anonymous

I swear to god audioscrotes are the dumbest consumers in the world. They fall for buzzwords, artificial market segmentation and gimmicks like nobody else.

To anyone who’s open minded about learning and finding good stuff: look at objective tests. Most of what matters in an audio product can be measured. The rest is something you can’t measure and you need to learn about it by reading lots of opinions and reviews or with some personal experience, no way around it.
            Do NOT believe anyone who throws his credentials around. Even if he is who he says, there are so many actual professionals in this field who are dumb as fuck and tech illiterate. Certainly true for musicians, but also for many people doing mixing and stuff.
            Do NOT believe anyone with his own personal anecdote, unless you know the guy and know that he’s legit. For example, posts like this:

>Also it’s MOTU so it has quite reliable drivers

MOTU is actually one of the few in its segment that is known to have released unreliable products in the last few years. The M2 and M4 both got shit on for being buggy, drivers wise. But there’s no measurement that can tell you this and you can’t know it if you only read ONE opinion like from this scrote here (who could be a shill, for all you know).
            Sure, he could be lucky and never have a problem with his M2. But to say "it’s MOTU so it has quite reliable drivers" as a general statement is just freaking ridiculous with all the opposite evidence out there.

tl;dr – DYOR or fall for memes

Anonymous

I just order monitors on Amazon that most people recommend and official spec sheets show decent results, when they arrive, I test myself with actual test equipment, if they are okay, I keep them, if not I send them back, no questions asked.
              Never believe anything written online without testing yourself.

Then again, you can’t go wrong with used monitors that cost 100-200€ and are generally well recommended and have good specs tested by many different parties.

Anonymous

Yeah cretin, I made a fortune by shilling budget interfaces in the depths of Indonesian basket weaving forums.

If you need objective tests for the MOTU M2, here’s one: https://youtu.be/D3ednXYd1pA

But go tell me what are the better interfaces you can find *at this price*.

Anonymous

Don’t take it personal, dude. I never said that the M2 doesn’t have great audio performance.
                But your statement about it being reliable and "only RME has better drivers" is hilarious. Just don’t post shit like that and stick to facts.

Anonymous

It was a general assessment on the brands, while also considering the price range. Which sub-$200 interface has better drivers?

Just buy monitors. No need to upgrade later.

I like the lush Genelec sound tbh.

Anonymous

>Which sub-$200 interface has better drivers?
                    pretty much all of them tbdesu.
                    most of them use thesycon drivers, which aren’t rme-tier, but they’re tried and tested and work reliably.

Anonymous

Studio monitors are the best value for a quick stereo setup.
      I recommend them even if you don’t record, they are still better than "computer speakers" while still just as self contained. Plus since they are flat, you can colour the sound as you like.

Anonymous

I hate monitors, they sound like PA system to me and can’t reproduce anything below 100hz. I would take logikek z623 or similar anytime over any kind of studio monitors without sub.

Anonymous

Just buy monitors. No need to upgrade later.

Anonymous

No

Anonymous

I always get hate when i recommend the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 but they’re still a great bang for the buck.

Anonymous

Buy or pirate this book
      https://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Presents/dp/1138556378 before deciding to buy some monitors

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id