Is it possible to live as a hermit today?

Home Forums History Is it possible to live as a hermit today?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Is it possible to live as a hermit today?

Anonymous

Why wouldn’t it be? There’s nothing stopping you.

Anonymous

Because the government is everywhere? There were no forest rangers before, no property laws in the forest, caves weren’t declared places of cultural interests and there were no rural tourists

Anonymous

Oh yeah because the government does a great job stopping homeless people from sleeping all over the place.

Anonymous

Hurr durr what a scrotebrained argument. Homeless people get arrested for sleeping outside all the time. You can hardly sue them out of none existing money or tear down their non existing cabins. They are nomads not hermits.
            A hermit needs a stable place in which he can be self-sufficient and the government can and will tear that place down.

Anonymous

There are entire villages of homeless people under bridges in the city where I was born. The police have come and torn them down, and they just put them back up a month later. They were there when I was a child and they are still there now. This is in central England, by the way.

Anonymous

Homeless people are completely reliant on societies generosity for survival. They aren’t exactly hermits.

Anonymous

Maybe you’ll meet some people over the years, but it’s not like that never happened to hermits before. Sometimes a hunter or shepard might’ve stumbled upon your tent, or seeked to hide from the rain in your cave.

Government isn’t going to tax your tent or hut in the bush and rangers aren’t known for kicking out hobos. If you aren’t an hazard, people will likely leave you alone.

Anonymous

literally everything you said was wrong.
          go to school before you think about doing anything alone.

Anonymous

Yeah except from government officials and private landownership literally everywhere. A friend of mine bought a shack at the very end of a small town and went through judicial hell to be allowed to live there because there are a million laws against living 50 centrimetres north of electric lines and sewers and whatnot.

Anonymous

>be hermit
          >have basically no possessions
          >sleep under a bridge
          >police come and kick you out
          >walk to next village, sleep under a different bridge

Anonymous

A hermit has a home. You are talking about a homeless person who is dependent on gibs. Also try that during winter. You will just freeze to death

Anonymous

they are the same thing anon

Anonymous

No it’s not. None would open a thread saying "can you be a homeless person nowadays?????" because it’s obvious that you can. A hermit is something else, it must have a proper place to stay and resources to eat in the wilderness. You see in OP’s painting that some hermits even had vegetable patches to cultivate for self-sustainment. That’s practically impossible nowadays as the state owns all the land.

Anonymous

>thinks the US is the whole world
                  top kek, Pro-tip: russia, some places don’t even have roads or paths to get there
                  >then how will you get there
                  by walking across a fuckload of thick forest, there are miles and miles of nothing but forest in russia, no the law enforcement won’t get there at all
                  >b-but you’ll die during the winter
                  not if you build a proper shelter during the summer time

Anonymous

that’s my bridge
            GTFO

Anonymous

most people all ready do

Anonymous

oof

Anonymous

Some people can be dead for years before people notice and that happens in the middle of cities.

Why wouldn’t you be able to isolate yourself in the woods or mountains?

Anonymous

You can, it’s much easier too.

Anonymous

A million forest rangers stalk every centimetre even in the most remote forests. They are all too willing to hand your ass over to the officials who will in turn sue the shit out of you for building a wooden shack in bumfuck nowhere.

Anonymous

Not in Alaska

Anonymous

Who would be hermit in Alaska? That’s suicidal.

Anonymous

Who would Hermit in general? Sounds like suicide to me.

Anonymous

People that don’t like people. Usually have some sort of anxiety disorder and general unsociability.

Anonymous

Being antisocial is no excuse to go LARP as a druid in the forest,

Anonymous

If they’re going into the woods to LARP as a druid I think they’re beyond caring what you think justifies it.

Anonymous

christians did it too

Anonymous

Not the point anon.

Anonymous

fair enough, but 2bh, I’d assumed christianism was the driving cause of OP’s post

Anonymous

it’s not a druid tradition.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

>A million forest rangers stalk every centimetre even in the most remote forests.
          Yeah here’s the thing, they’re not.

Anonymous

stop being European

Anonymous

I know a rather large plot of woods in the middle of a major metro area and the homeless dude who’s ran that patch for years that would say otherwise

Anonymous

Stop being such a paranoid schizo

Anonymous

He isn’t wrong to think that if spotted rangers will do everything in their power to get your squatting ass out of the forest. But they’re not likely to spot you.

Anonymous

Nope. Not in Canada anyways and I’m guessing it’s the same for much of the USA where population in sparse. There are so few forest rangers and conservation officers (woods cops) and so much crown land (Canadian term for public land) that it would be near impossible for them to police it at that level. As long as you aren’t poaching or illegally logging, they don’t care.

Anonymous

Never been easier.

Anonymous

If it was me, I’d choose the baste forests of russia, off course, beware of the bears, tigers? and killer cold, for everything you should have plenty of everything.

Anonymous

russia is so big

Anonymous

plenty of empty land there

Anonymous

In the 3rd world yeah. Not really in the 1st

Anonymous

Yes, I know a couple.
      They’re not quite as strict as the desert hermits, but still follow quite an ascetic lifestyle as separate as possible from society.
      It is harder to be a hermit in these days due to government overreach and overpopulation, but still possible.

Anonymous

I’ve done it AMA

Anonymous

How long did you do it for and where? what’s your longest period of total isolation?

Anonymous

Around a year total, Spain. Max. period without interaction was around three months.

Anonymous

Was it one of those tiny abandoned villages?

Anonymous

>Spain
            What did you do for food? In burberland hunting seems easy but in Europe wouldn’t you have caught more shit?

Anonymous

Fuck, I was thinking of doing it in Andalusia. Why did you leave exactly?

Anonymous

Share with me the super cool stuff, weird people you met, allucinations, religious/trippy experiences, conclussions you came to, obstacles you managed to surpass, times you failed, everything

Anonymous

It’s not particularly cool. It definitely gives you a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms of life and nature. You have a lot of time to think of how the world actually works.
          Despite periods of near starvation, I didn’t have any religious experiences. The stars at night are beautiful and the forests are scary, but I’ve never felt the presence of anything divine or mystical.
          Long story short, I did the into the wild thing. The scariest moment was getting lost in some godforsaken mountain range for days. The fear of dying really makes you reevaluate certain things, in a very quick way.
          In the end, I got bored. I’m creator, and I feel I need inputs. The internet is more interesting than nature will ever be. I still go camping sometimes, though.

Was it one of those tiny abandoned villages?

No, it was the mountain in Majorca. I won’t mention the exact area, but it was beautiful.

>Spain
          What did you do for food? In burberland hunting seems easy but in Europe wouldn’t you have caught more shit?

I bought massive amounts of flour or very thick bread at the nearest village and survived on that and berries, mainly. Occasional yoghurts and the like. Overall, I spent about 30 euros a month. Fishing and hunting are not viable in Europe as a method of sustenance.

Anonymous

where? How did you manage to eat? Did you have a basement? Were you praying and all the stuff?

Anonymous

i live in Canada. if i never wanted to see another person for the rest of my life, i’d be able to do it

Anonymous

There’s some southern Alaskan islands that aren’t too freaking freezing that you could probably pull off

Anonymous

Very possible.

very easy too if you have a little survivalist experience. You don’t even have to go anywhere crazy like Alaska.

Anonymous

The human filth keeps spreadng everywhere. Humans can’t leave you alone. They just want to fuck everything up. It is not the garden gnome who is the problem. It is not the black nor the white. It is not the Oriental man. It is the common man. It is humanity who is the problem.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id