Is DuckDuckGo just a gimmick or actually useful privacy-wise?

Home Forums General & off-topic Is DuckDuckGo just a gimmick or actually useful privacy-wise?

• This topic has 70 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

is it just a gimmick?

Anonymous

They hide the least results, so no.

Anonymous

what do you mean

Anonymous

It’s much better than google in terms if privacy and bias, unless you’re mentally ill.

Anonymous

>privacy
        but whatever website you visit from there will still be able to track you and leave cookies.. so it’s not that private

Anonymous

>TrackTrackGoy

Nothing but a frontend for bing

This. Just use Google. You’re getting spied on either way.

Anonymous

Use Yandex, it’s better than Google.

Anonymous

Yandex is Russian jank and has the worst results of all of them.

Anonymous

deprecated american detected, Yandex has the best results

Anonymous

Not when it comes to Reverse Image Search. At least for NFSW stuff it’s MILES ahead of Google.

Anonymous

its image search is the best out there
                it also shows results for things nothing else does, like piracy stuff, since they don’t give a fuck about that
                only downside is the russian site focus, making it harder to find english language results for less specific queries

Anonymous
                Anonymous

He’s not talking about better in terms of privacy. He’s talking about search results, scrotebrain.

Anonymous

Yandex has better results, privacy is the same (none), except the information is in the hands of a bunch of Russians so who cares

Anonymous

>just have gay sex you’re getting bonked anyway.

Anonymous

>You’re getting spied on either way.
            >he doesn’t know about searx
            g is dumb

Anonymous

How does searx prevent spying?

Anonymous

Searx (/sɜːrks/; stylized as searx) is a free metasearch engine,[4] available under the GNU Affero General Public License version 3, with the aim of protecting the privacy of its users.[5][6][7] To this end, Searx does not share users’ IP addresses or search history with the search engines from which it gathers results. Tracking cookies served by the search engines are blocked, preventing user-profiling-woke af results modification.[8][9] By default, Searx queries are submitted via HTTP POST,[a] to prevent users’ query keywords from appearing in webserver logs.[10][11] Searx was inspired by the Seeks project,[10] though it does not implement Seeks’ peer-to-peer user-sourced results ranking.

Anonymous

>Searx does not share users’ IP addresses or search history with the search engines from which it gathers results
                  … but the Searx instance still gets your search results, so what’s the difference?

you are trusting a random running an instance with your data

Anonymous

>you are trusting a random running an instance with your data
                    anon, you can host yourself

Anonymous

And now you are sending information to all the search engines every time you search something. Genius.

Anonymous

anon, you should get checked out for being so scrotebrained. you can turn off the engines you don’t want to use, you can just use one or several or all. anon, why so skeptical? who hurt you?

Anonymous

So Searx doesn’t offer any added privacy. If you host your own, you are interfacing with the search engines anyway. If you don’t host your own, you are sending your data to whoever owns the instance.

I accept your concession.

Anonymous

>doesn’t know how to host remotely
                        scrotebrain

Anonymous

Anonymous hosting doesn’t exist. See: epik fail

Anonymous

what do you use?

Anonymous

>Anonymous hosting doesn’t exist
                        You’ve never heard of running a home server?

Anonymous

>i didn’t read the reply chain but assume i know what you’re talking about

Anonymous

anonymous hosting exists so long as its on an .onion, i2p site, or gnunet/freenet.
                        internet is not www – the www is a panopticon.

Anonymous
                    Anonymous

>Do not use searx images. It leaks your IP all over the place.
                    is there proof of this?

Anonymous

open your dev console network and then search an image

Anonymous

what does my dev console have to do with the external searx instance?

Anonymous

When you use searx images, your browser connects to every website hosting the images, and if Bing is enabled (usually is by default), since Bing uses a proxy, multiple connections to Bing will be made.

Many search engines don’t leak your IP all over the place like that by caching the images themselves and only showing you the results.

Anonymous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searx
                searx is better than everything but also it utilizes all search engines

Anonymous

Firstly, this isn’t even true. Secondly, this is like scoring an own goal after you’ve just conceded. There’s no reason for you to just make things worse just because the situation is already bad.

Anonymous

>i’m gonna smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day and eat 10,000 calories bc fuck it i’m gonna die some day anyway

Anonymous

When the alternative is getting popcorn lung from vaping (i.e. every other search engine), I’d rather just take the less pretentious option.

Anonymous

>but whatever website you visit from there will still be able to track you and leave cookies
          So don’t use the internet at all.

Anonymous

you’re a cancer

Anonymous

>zomg the external sites you visit can still track you!
              >I’m the cancer
              Yeah fuck off scrote.

Anonymous

A good search engine would not list sites that track you.

Anonymous

What you’re actually looking for is a searchable index of neocities webpages my dude.

Anonymous

>his browser doesn’t strip HTTP referer from request headers
          >enabling javascript and cookies for rando websites by default
          lmao

Anonymous

>his browser doesn’t strip HTTP referer from request headers
            What browser does this?

Anonymous

Any Gecko-woke af browser (Firefox, IceCat, SeaMonkey etc…) Can be configured to do this in about:config (search for ‘trim’).

Anonymous

Any Gecko-woke af browser (Firefox, IceCat, SeaMonkey etc…) Can be configured to do this in about:config (search for ‘trim’).

disabling referrers entirely can break some sites, especially things which don’t allow hotlinks (not sending referrers can result in hotlink warnings on the site you’re meant to be viewing it on)
              use something like RefControl if you want to enable referrers on a per-site basis

Anonymous

I use 3 for the trimming policy I’m about:config. Hasn’t broken a site for me in almost a year, so I’m quite happy with it.

Anonymous

No shit but the actual search engine is private.

Anonymous

so what’s the difference between it and incognito?

Anonymous

incognito still ties the searches to your IP/device and it still adjusts search results

Anonymous

I use private mode for 90% of my browsing, so that the cookies get deleted once I close the browser. This + containers ought to help a bit, at least

Anonymous

>TrackTrackGoy

Anonymous

Does it still leak your IP to all your search results even if you don’t visit them?

Anonymous

Nothing but a frontend for bing

Anonymous

its just a frontend for bing

A bit more than that, actually
        >DuckDuckGo’s results are a compilation of "over 400" sources, including Yahoo! Search BOSS, Wolfram Alpha, Bing, Yandex, its own web crawler (the DuckDuckBot) and others. It also uses data from crowdsourced sites, including Wikipedia, to populate knowledge panel boxes to the right of the results.

Anonymous

I look things up on Duck Duck and find them. I actually get what I’m looking for instead of Google showing me things. Found a lot of incredibly woke af videos.

Anonymous

Google is trying to steer society in the direction they think it should go. Maybe duck duck go is too, I dunno, but I know google is for a fact:
      https://youtu.be/LUSZfEBTwRc

Anonymous

just use searx, duckduckgo blows

Anonymous

>searx
      The best on paper, in practice it gives inconsistent results, sometimes none, without a reason
      >startpage
      Good features (can load entire webpages through a proxy), owned by an advertising company, do not trust
      >duckduckgo
      Probably the best balance between privacy and search quality, don’t really trust the guy behind it

Anonymous

I prefer startpage the most. Yes, it’s owned by an ad company, but they are upfront about this and have never been caught doing anything wrong. They don’t even advertise the search engine. The devs seem chill too as they openly interact with users if you have a question. The ad company that bought startpage seems to not really be all that interested in being balls deep in it. It is just another asset.
        Duck duck go on the other hand is suspicious. They advertise their shit EVERYWHERE including on billboards in real life. They have spent millions on marketing and gone out of their way to craft a certain image. From the rooftops they yell, "LOOK AT US, PRIVACY, PRIVACY, PRIVACY." This is the same reason I won’t use Brave. I am very skeptical of anything that goes out of its way to aggressively market itself in this way.
        Just my two cents

Anonymous

I’ve been using duckduckgo for years, each time I use modern google it sucks more and more, with more irrelevant results appearing. It’s such a shame in a way because I remember when google was still good.

Anonymous

its just a frontend for bing

Anonymous

Bangs rock, they save me a lot of time. I don’t actually find myself on duckduckgo.com that much since most of the time I already know where I want to go, I just don’t want to type out wikipedia.org or whatever and find the search box.

Anonymous

Google results are worthless unless you think your TV is the universal foundation of truth. There’s not really a decent alternative to duckduckgo outside of metas like searx.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

> using internet
      > "is it a gimmick"

dude, everything with privacy and internet is a meme. Just buy a encyclopedia book set for best results.

Anonymous

i normally use a set of encyclopaedias and an unabridged dictionary for looking up stuff. The internet is fluff

Anonymous

it’s a lot better at finding image results for adult content, like hentai. truely a search engine for the cultured individuals under us.

Anonymous

No, they don’t hide shit like google does. I searched for my oven model in google so I could buy parts and it filtered all the results. Duckduckgo gave me a ton of useful links with parts lists and manuals.

Anonymous

!bangs are the best thing ever, even without the privacy selling point the !bangs alone make it a top tier browser

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id