Is getting a history degree worth it?

Home Forums History Is getting a history degree worth it?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Is getting a history degree worth it? I’ve set myself up for Engineering but I really love doing history, not sure if it’s worth doing however.

Anonymous

>Is getting a history degree worth it?
      Can’t imagine it is. There are others, but the first in my mind is Jon Parshall. Wrote the definitive book on the battle of Midway in the Second World War, he majored in geology.
      All the knowledge is out there, just read. And with the internet today it’s easier than ever to have real discussions about topics and even get correspondence with more of the learned people on a certain topic. Not here though.

Anonymous

I bet 10 bucks that I know more history because of lurking here than some soi "historian" learned from Noseberg University.

Anonymous

Can’t tell if this is bait

Anonymous

>Bait
          History courses in colleges are becoming a joke as time passes. All the emphasis is put on random Mudhuts in Africa to appease Afro-amerimutts and finding feminism/scrotery in historical annals.Go to any history forum with recent graduates and ask a question. The answers unironically look like /poo/ memes.

Anonymous

Jesus Christ the freaking delusion. This is what happens when your conception of the world comes from /poo/ downstream from that sewer. Of course you would be familiar with "/poo/ memes".
            You’re scrotebrained and too scrotebrained to know it

Anonymous

[…]
              […]

No need to butthurt about wasting your time and money learning pozzed shit.

Anonymous

You’re genuinely a stupid person

Anonymous

>Pozzed NPC response
                  Ok

Anonymous
                      Anonymous

This. Ignore these pol trash. Not even worth it anymore

Anonymous

This. Ignore these pol trash. Not even worth it anymore

>Y-you are so dumb that I am not even gonna bother haha not like I don’t have any arguments

Anonymous

You’re a cliche. An utterly scrotebrained and exhausted cliche everybody who has access to the internet and most especially this site has encountered tens of thousand of times. Just another barely sentient scrotebrain fresh off the pol assembly and then sent into the world. No, nobody is going waste their time "arguing" with you. You are so predictable and completely off the mark there is no reasonable position to even begin. Remember this always scrote

Anonymous

>You dumb dumb I smert but I still no argue blurrrrrrp* Morty-pickle haha

Anonymous

You’re stupid, yes.
                        >wowow POZZED chud black SJWS11!! CANCELED! garden gnomeBURG LIE!!! I LEARN HISTORY FROM AN IMAGE BOARD
                        Unironically have a nice day

Anonymous

Bro, literally go outside and speak to anybody engaged in serious historical scholarship about your concerns. The internet is making you stupid.

Not an argument

>I bet 10 bucks that I know more history because of lurking here than some soi "historian" learned from Noseberg University.
                        Lmfao zoomers actually believe this shit Jesus christ have mercy upon this world

Get a real degree

Anonymous

I don’t argue with dog shit on the sidewalk, i pinch my nose and walk by it

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

You’ve dewoke af yourself past the effective level of argument by making broad, unfalsifiable claims with little relevance to the original post or the posters you are responding to. My post isn’t an argument, it’s a sincere recommendation made out of regard for your happiness and intellectual health .

Anonymous

Nice cope. Tell me how can you even believe that cancel-culture hasn’t raped academic integrity like a drugged up whore? All topics are politically charged now and threatening the status quo can lead to becoming an academic outcast. You will get jumped on by entire garden gnome media establishment and millions of their drones. You literally can’t deny this.

Anonymous

>Academic institutions are subject to the same coercive cultural trends that predominate in other parts of civil society. This means "academic integrity" has been RAPED LIKE A DRUGGED UP WHORE
                        Notice that nobody has denied that political trends and ideological expediency can affect the culture and scholarly output of educational institutions. Rather, they’re challenging your childish assertion that NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AND HISTORY AND HUMANITIES AS DISCIPLINES ARE DOOMED. For someone who presents themselves as having an interest in history in general, and (in this case) social institutions in particular, you seem to have a very poor understanding of the topics you’re talking about.

Anonymous

>History has always been biased
                        Never said it wasn’t and the bias was worst during early modern era and it unbonked itself for a while but then started to accumulate bias against the other end as of recent decade. Btw,it’s only in recent times that you would become a pariah for just stating your opinion. It was never this bad.

Anonymous

>Btw,it’s only in recent times that you would become a pariah for just stating your opinion. It was never this bad.
                        Mate, I’m begging you – please read a goddamn book.

Anonymous

>Mate, I’m begging you – please read a goddamn book.
                        Not an argument. Historical integrity peaked when people realised that Racism was le bad before it turned into White people are le bad. Never been a time like this when you get your career ruined just for disagreeing with other people. This includes character assassination. Not joking but you can actually get in shit for saying thay Euro history was history which is argued against in extremely bad faith.

Anonymous

*Euro history was white history

Anonymous

Outside of being jumped on by people from Twitter (which you seem to equate with career-ending catastrophe), you’d be criticized for making a claim that is uninteresting, nearly exhausted in its premise, and, for most topics of consideration, entirely irrelevant. (What does it mean for the study of Bourbon France that their history is white history?) Idiots hampering the serious discussion of people approaching a point is always irritating, yes, but the tenor of complaints from people like you on the internet suggests that at no time were you or the scholarship you care about at risk of being denied an audience that was actually merited by rigor or novelty.

Anonymous

>Outside of being jumped on by people from Twitter (which you seem to equate with career-ending catastrophe)
                        >It’s not that bro!! You will just be harrassed and your character will be lay in ruins. Maybe they will even try to coerce your colleagues to boycott you but shit happens lmao
                        >you’d be criticized for making a claim that is uninteresting, nearly exhausted in its premise, and, for most topics of consideration, entirely irrelevant.
                        Nothing wrong with this
                        >(What does it mean for the study of Bourbon France that their history is white history?)
                        Sure,it means nothing but your research will be in jeopardy if it has the potential to be used against the popular narrative. You dont even have to take any political stance for the hordes to come for you.
                        >but the tenor of complaints from people like you on the internet suggests that at no time were you or the scholarship you care about at risk of being denied an audience that was actually merited by rigor or novelty.
                        It’s not even mostly about audience but bad faith and agenda driven counter narrative.

Anonymous

>Never been a time like this when you get your career ruined just for disagreeing with other people.
                        What was scholarship like under Nazism, Stalinism, McCarthyism, the Khmer Rouge, the Vatican, etc.
                        >Historical integrity peaked
                        You write like a second-year undergrad. Peek past the veil of your own ignorance.

Anonymous

>What was scholarship like under Nazism, Stalinism, McCarthyism, the Khmer Rouge, the Vatican, etc.
                        We are talking self-proclaimed "free" countries from late 80s. Every Western country was racist af during most of 20th century but cooled down during the end of the century.
                        Why are you bringing up authoritarian regimes anyways?
                        >You write like a second-year undergrad. Peek past the veil of your own ignorance.
                        Cringe

Anonymous

Just wanted to jump in and say I’m with you anon. The gaslighters have the nerve to pretend that enlightened liberalism still prevails while society bends over more and more to accomodate left wing extremism. Meanwhile they have tried every tactic short of honestly engaging with your assertion, despite claiming that it’s falsity is so self-evident that you must be malign or stupid not to see it.

Its the same limp, complacent attitude that got us into this mess in the first place and it is most indicative of the academics, doctors, scientists and corporate types who just assumed that all this leftist noise would go away. It hasn’t (and they know it) which is why you could not by any means force them to be publicly edgy about any taboo topic despite the fact that they tell you cancel culture is ‘not a big problem’. It’s a freaking fatal problem for the White/Western world. That is a plain truth. If White self-hatred has cost you a chance at a life studying History (real History) then I for one feel sorry for you. Genuinely sorry, not sarcastically sorry in the manner of the gaslighting toadies in this thread.

These days there are a lot of young men whose potential has been cut short by a culture that is fixed on appeasing bad ideas. The irony is that the History written by the collapsing, dysgenic civilisation that comes after us will still call them all racist.

Anonymous

tenure beats cancel culture short of actual rape charges, and i haven’t seen a university history department short of eccentric professors

Anonymous

Bro, literally go outside and speak to anybody engaged in serious historical scholarship about your concerns. The internet is making you stupid.

Anonymous

>Pozzed NPC response
                        Ok

Post a single academic history text you have read in the last decade

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

>https://www.jstor.org/stable/3853914
                        Interesting – so you’re into Egyptology? How would you characterize your scholarly incursions into the field as having been hampered by the issues you brought up previously?

Anonymous

>How would you characterize your scholarly incursions into the field as having been hampered by the issues you brought up previously?
                        Egyptology is also getting Pozzed but there is no political benifit in misrepresenting Egyptian contact with Hittites because your average pop history tard and Wewuzzers don’t even know what Hittites are.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

There will always be certain topics or scholarly frameworks that fade in and out of "sexiness" in the humanities, and most disciplines for that matter. To claim that serious work and pedagogy is being neglected en masse in favor of your pet paranoiac issues is pretty freaking delusional. Do serious scholarly work that requires you to actually apply yourself and you’ll find your petty political anxieties start mattering less and less.

Anonymous

>Do serious scholarly work that requires you to actually apply yourself and you’ll find your petty political anxieties start mattering less and less.
              Sure sis,Shaniqua will definitely not #cancel you on twitter and there will be no horde of Deboonkers to misrepresent and assassinate your credibility. It’s career suicide at this point to go against group think. You can’t even get the word "autogyenophile" on Google key board as of now.

Anonymous

You may "know more history" by volume, but it’s incredibly doubtful that you have the skills to formulate cogent and compelling arguments that are actually supported by a breadth of sources without having written papers on topics that are then subject to professional scrutiny. I’m not claiming that people who get degrees are necessarily capable of this either, however (I saw a lot of absolute dipshits breeze through my program with very little understanding of historiography or what it means to actually construct a thesis regarding a period and set of data). Learning history and "doing history" are very different things.

[…]

As for OP, I’d advise against pursuing a degree in history unless you are absolutely certain your enjoyment and possible career trajectory can justify it over engineering. You should absolutely take as many history classes as you can, though, and take advantage of the knowledge of (good and active in their field) professors at whatever institution you attend.

Anonymous

>You may "know more history" by volume, but it’s incredibly doubtful that you have the skills to formulate cogent and compelling arguments that are actually supported by a breadth of sources
          1v1 right now scrote

Anonymous

>take advantage of the knowledge of (good and active in their field) professors at whatever institution you attend.
          Would professors be interested in helping out those not enrolled in their courses? Engineering doesn’t leave any electives of free choice so I’m not able to do anything for history.

Anonymous

This will really vary by institution and particular professor, but if you sincerely express and demonstrate interest and knowledge of their particular topic(s) of research, it’s pretty unlikely they’ll just tell you to go fuck yourself. Most undergraduates are so fundamentally disinterested in the courses they take and who is teaching them that a lot of professors will be more than happy to have a sympathetic ear.

That being said, if they’re in a shitty department, overworked and under-respected, and have to grade 100 mediocre essays before the week is over, it’s more likely they won’t be willing to spend that time talking to some random engineering student.

Anonymous

Engineers make bank, but you could do a lot more with a history degree if you’re not sure what you want to do. Journalism, banking, law and education if you’re willing to do a post grad. I’ve spent two years teaching in Japan on a archaeology degree and a month long CELTA course

Anonymous

idk how it works in other countries, but in the UK you can do a year long course in law if you got a decent (2:1) undergrad in whatever

Anonymous

In the usa it’s a 3 year professional degree you get after your bachelors. Undergrad doesn’t really matter but the majority of law students are in the social sciences and humanities

Anonymous

I majored in history for a while, but changed majors. Unless you go to a school that has a really good history program with really good professors (read: published historians of note) then you’re going to have limited options for history and are probably going to get saddled with studying eras and subjects you’re not at all interested in, taught by people you don’t particularly like. You can still get through it if history is really your passion, but it might end up harming your long term interest in the subject. That was my experience anyway. I took all the history courses that interested me, then switched tracks when I didn’t see anything I’d want to pay money to sit through offered above it.

Anonymous

So it isn’t just studying the era’s you find of interest? My country isn’t exactly well renowned for humanities so I think I would have a hard time finding any notable professors to teach.

It is if you wanna be a school teacher or a professor later on in your career.
        If that’s not the case, then a history degree is not gonna do much for you.

I am in a similar situation as well. History is my passion and I just spend hours studying about some random shit like the Arab revolutions or Latin American conflicts, just for the fun of it. However, I am currently going to law school because it sets me up for a better career. I may get a history degree and just become a teacher if I find myself having too much trouble in law school though.

No interest at all in teaching. Research and translation is where my heart lies in the study.

Anonymous

It is if you wanna be a school teacher or a professor later on in your career.
      If that’s not the case, then a history degree is not gonna do much for you.

I am in a similar situation as well. History is my passion and I just spend hours studying about some random shit like the Arab revolutions or Latin American conflicts, just for the fun of it. However, I am currently going to law school because it sets me up for a better career. I may get a history degree and just become a teacher if I find myself having too much trouble in law school though.

Anonymous

>I bet 10 bucks that I know more history because of lurking here than some soi "historian" learned from Noseberg University.
      Lmfao zoomers actually believe this shit Jesus christ have mercy upon this world

Anonymous

Can we get back on topic?

Anonymous

Topics aren’t relevant when a board is infrsted with nail obsessed poltrash hammers

See
        […]

Yes you’re dumb

Anonymous

I make a thread about getting a history degree and all you can talk about is chuds and shit. Do it somewhere else.

Anonymous

I don’t regret my history degree at all. I learned many interesting things, and wrote papers I was quite proud of. Because of my degree I was able to get a good job as an investigator in my state government, so things worked out quite well for me.

Anonymous

What field did you get into? My country doesn’t have much in the way of medieval or ancient history so it can’t be a local gig if I’m doing it for what I enjoy.

Anonymous

No, it’s only useful if you plan to be a teacher. Just stick to reading history as a hobby and get your good paying STEM job.

Anonymous

>reading history
        And who is writing the books?

Anonymous

No but also yes. History is a great field and a very rewarding study if you genuinely like this stuff but academia, at least in America, is utter shit and filled with lazy academics, blatant politics, and generally rewards whatever is new or unique, rather than what is necessarily the most accurate or the most honest (the only way professors make a name and money is by publishing shit, so there is always pressure until tenure). If you have a good, genuine professor then you can learn a lot and academic history is much better than hobby history, which tends to lack the ability to critically analyze or proper depth or scope. Depending on your field of interest, your experience might be shittier. I’ve found medievalists are generally pretty safe from amerishart politics and has fewer fat larpers than WWII history (there’s still some, of course). It’s highly likely that the vast majority of your peers in the major will have zero freaking interest or curiosity or respect for history, they’re likely to be drop outs from a STEM or ‘undecided’.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.