In the end, I became a web developer. Easy, mundane work. I am pathetic.

Home Forums Science & tech In the end, I became a web developer. Easy, mundane work. I am pathetic.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

In the end, I became a web developer. Easy, mundane work. I feel my brains rotting out, and I’m not sure if I have a soul anymore. Learn new gay frameworks, code gay web apps for gay reasons for gay companies chock full of pajeets. And to think, I have 30+ more years of this. What a pathetic thing to devote so much of my life to.

Do you remember when programming was fun, LULZ? I can barely remember, but I do remember.

Anonymous

shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my head get out of my headv

Anonymous

>do you remember when programming was fun
      just learn some meme lang and do stuff you like as a hobby anon. common lisp has been fun for me. Alternatively get a non-tech hobby and touch grass. Contrary to what your employers might say, seeing the light of day every once in a while is actually good for you.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I’m a web dev and I make a shitload of money, I have enough to retire now, working is optional. Don’t be a shitty maths NPC sperglord. Nobody cares and it’s just you jerking off on welfare

Anonymous

If you are so good at programming then why you end up there scrote?

Anonymous

This is a shill post. If you want to know how shills operate, check my post:

[…]

Anonymous

Tech is industrializing

Jokes on you, I figured coding will become boring so I switched to management to make things better for me and programmers I help

…only to find that the really ugly things are in management and not in code. And the shit stirring in senior managers heads are trickling down into code. A mid manager can do freaking nothing about it and senior managers are typically promoted from the slimiest lot. Fuck.

Anonymous

>tech is industrializing
        Could you elaborate anon?

Anonymous

Tech is "maturing" as an industry. Fewer cool projects, more money making enterprises. Goals trickle down: if the goal is to make something cool the work will usually be cool, if the goal is to make owners rich then work will be boring and the latter also attracts management who loves bossing around and politics resulting in red tape and all different forms of abuse. Tech is mostly growing know how of making money, freaking actual engineering, optimizing for quick cash grab both for the company and for the people employed. Engineers are incentivized to code some trash quick and leave after a few years so someone else picks up the trash. Etc etc. For someone who loves good engineering and good people it’s heartbreaking. All my problems at work stem from the fact that I try to do a good job. I switched to management for this. Pikachu face when I found that its not just not needed but senior management HATES it. Very sad, many such cases

TLDR do better than me anon pls and develop a skill of not caring about all the shit at work

Anonymous

Anon, do you have a university degree? Sounds like you might enjoy being a computer scientist, there are a lot of research groups studying algorithms. Apply for a PhD if you can

Anonymous

Work to live not live to work fren. If you are sick of web dev look for something new.

Anonymous

i used to do programming work but i turned to manual labor. ran a construction business solo & made lots of bank off rich old scrotebrains who needed repairs done and nobody else wanted to do the work so i overpriced it to fuck (and they still chose me because it was hell work nobody else wanted to do)

you earn your money if you’re wise and have integrity, not if you’re simply "smart" or "hard working"

Anonymous

>be me
      >medior/senior webdev
      >gets hired in a senior position
      >naively think it’s for my knowledge and expertise
      >end up primarily fixing:
      >- css style issues
      >- custom wordpress plugin code crap made by people who left the company years ago
      >- magento1 bullshit
      >- half broken server setups
      >- other assorted random crap
      >realize you’re not hired for your knowledge
      >but for being able to work without onboarding whatsoever
      >and without asking too many questions
      I hate it here LULZ

Anonymous

LULZ won’t improve until we have exojanitors.

Anonymous

I feel with you anon. Stupid corporate bullshit, clueless managers on power trips designing bonked up interviewing processes and glorifying mundane work

Just do the shit, collect buxx, and do something nice in your free time. Try working 5-6 hours only IF IT’S SAFE FOR YOU to do so, this protects somewhat against the eventual bullshit that will come your way

Also don’t forget to upskill in your free time because company doesn’t care

And after a couple of years consider joining a company that does something you actually like AND where managers look not too shitty. But it’s also fine to just go for money grabbing as much as you can in (but only in) shitty places that pay well, grab their money and fuck them, just pls don’t hurt your coworkers in the process

Anonymous

Somethingm I learned over the years when dealing with shit: DOCUMENT freaking EVERYTHING

Every undocumented bullshit decision that gets made (read: veto’d), throw it in the relevant jira/trello/etc card with: "as per our meeting/phonecall/hallway discussion/etc, we decided X"

Always write down this shit and tag the relevant parties. When shit starts to hit the fan in the future (and it freaking will), you at least made sure to cover your own ass

Anonymous

Seconded. When shit comes, slimy people will look for ways to push that shit on you so you need to prepare

Especially don’t trust slimy managers and project managers, they will have no problem about lying about anything and throwing you under the bus

Whereas if you have things in writing you can present it in front of everyone hahaha so everyone knows they are freaking liars

Anonymous

One mistake I made in the past: Never trust your coworkers either. Coworkers are not your friends. Management especially is NOT your friend, no matter how friendly they are to you

Do the bare minimum and hustle in your own time on your own projects. Even better if you manage to work less hours, like 32 (or 40 for you US plebs). It’s the only way to escape the circle of being stuck a wagecuck

Anonymous

>he doesn’t make enough to retire in under 10 years
      lol

Anonymous

What the fuck does that even mean? In order to retire on such short notice you’d have to have at least $10 million to live comfortably for the rest of your life, no one makes that kind of cash in under 10 years except for top CEOs.

Anonymous

Assuming I’ll be alive for 50 years more after retiring, that’s $200,000 to spend per year.
          I don’t spend anywhere near that, nor do I have any debt anymore.
          That’s also assuming no income after retiring, which also won’t be true.

Anonymous

>being a web developer is bad

Let me guess, you frequent r9k.

Anonymous

it is bad you dumb chud

Anonymous

being a web dev is bad

but at least better than shoveling shit off the streets, flipping burgers in the nearest mckfcking, or serving condescending clients for below livable wage

Anonymous

But it is

being a web dev is bad

but at least better than shoveling shit off the streets, flipping burgers in the nearest mckfcking, or serving condescending clients for below livable wage

>being a web dev is bad
        So why are you so butthurt then if you agree?

Yes, there are always people who have it worse. I used to work retail and web dev is 1000x better than that. Web dev is a good career and you make a good income from it, which is why I don’t just throw in the towel and stop doing it.

Anonymous

Stop trying to put everything in perspective and just let me complain, god damn it

>oh you broke your arm? suck it up you loser, hungry kids in africa have it way harder than you

It’s not that bad but we still have to deal with obnoxious shit like managers, meetings, incompetent coworkers, shitty legacy code, more managers, and more

Anonymous

>Easy, mundane work.
      Stopped reading here because you’re full of shit and have never coded a website outside of WordPress in your entire life. Fuck you scrotebrain.

Anonymous

is web dev just the white collar equivalent to warehouse work?

Warehouse work pays fine, the hours are good, but it’s a dead, soulless job. I work in a warehouse. I want to web dev, but I always see threads like these. The difference would be I would make significantly more money, so I wouldn’t care. However, I don’t think I could scream awful things at my coworkers and get away with it as a web dev

Anonymous

All I wanted to do is to get a cushy systems programming job somewhere but all got are gay Azure credentials and a shitty webportal to click around in.

Anonymous

Why would you want to work for anyone? Slave mentality much? You can contribute to some projects that aren’t web dev anon.

Anonymous

>why would you want to work for anyone
        >slave mentality much
        you are mentally scrotebrained

Anonymous

>Be me
      >Denied to U Waterloo CS program
      >Go to their computational mathematics program instead
      >Complete Masters as well, since there is zero competition for mathematics programs, all people want to do is CS
      >Hired out the door as an applied mathematician developing software for the defense sector
      >All my CS friends are web devs or working outside the field

Get bonked, CS tards. Im team math-chads now, and we are taking your jobs.

Anonymous

if web dev is bad then… dont… do it???

Anonymous

then do what instead exactly with my expertise, genius? sit on my ass until I get evicted onto the streets because I don’t have income to pay rent with?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id