Imagine not using raspberry as a router/ad-blocker/firewall/streamer and watchdog

Home Forums Science & tech Imagine not using raspberry as a router/ad-blocker/firewall/streamer and watchdog

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Imagine not using pic related as a router/ad-blocker/firewall/streamer and watchdog.
      >oh buy im too ret-
      Then LEARN instead of WHINING.

Anonymous

my isp gives me those for free in the form of a modem

Anonymous

How are pi computers so cheap?

Anonymous

imagine using raspi and not something similar to pic rel with pfsense or opnsense
        raspi feels like it’d set aflame as a router

they’ve been getting expensive recently unfortunately

Anonymous

they’re almost as expensive as budget laptops. If I’m gonna spend $120 on a Pi kit I might as well spend $200 on a shitty laptop

Anonymous

far too sketchy and underpowered for nearly all networks for use as a router or real firewall. stick with picrel.

Anonymous

>underpowered for nearly all networks
        LOL, it pushes GBit/s through Wireguard with traffic shaping, no problem.

Anonymous

>it pushes GBit/s through Wireguard with traffic shaping, no problem.
          you’re full of shit.

Anonymous

>GPIO
        >RS232 UART port
        >3 PCIE slots
        >JTAG
        >tons of RAM
        >card slot
        >SPI flash broken out
        >RTC
        >SATA
        >tons more headers
        freaking BOOBA. where do i get one of these fine specimens?

Anonymous

https://pcengines.ch/apu2.htm
          this seems to be what they posted, but it’s kind of outdated

Anonymous

thats weaker than an rpi 3, maybe a 2
            wtf

Anonymous

I want to buy one of these but paying almost 100% markup or waiting untill q1 2022 is kind of shit

Anonymous

I sold mine and bought a post-lease wyse 5070 and a 4x Intel nic card. Almost made my money back, and got heaps of CPU headroom.

Anonymous

Better. I’m running the pihole in a cloud instance, along with a vpn server, so I can block all ads on all phones and my boxen roaming on a non-native network.

Anonymous

Teach me how senpai. I am ready to learn

Anonymous

>router/ad-blocker/firewall
      get a real router
      >streamer
      only YIFY tier bitrate, of course

Anonymous

>oh buy im too ret-
      WTF does this even mean?ghkda

Anonymous

Verification not required.

Anonymous

I repurposed an old tower that was once a gamer pc and then installed pfsense on it. Works for me. Only thing it needed was a $15 NIC.

Last I checked pfsense doesn’t even work on a Pi.

Anonymous

pfSense no, OpenWRT yes

Anonymous

FreeBSD’s PF is enough.

Anonymous

>tower as a router
        Mental illness in its purest form

Anonymous

how is that any different to any other computer as a router? just because he didn’t buy a smaller case for it?

Anonymous

>how is consuming 50W/h different than 5W/h
            >how are 2 fans spinning non-stop different than no fans
            Gee, I dunno.

Anonymous

I’m not a scrote who cares about global warming.

Anonymous

pfSense no, OpenWRT yes

>pfsense, openwrt
        Not necessary. All I need on my router is pppd, hostapd, dnsmasq, avahi, fail2ban and Shorewall.

>router
        It doesn’t come with two ethernet ports.

It comes with four USB ports. Use a freaking adapter.

>go to replace shitty rp3 with rp4 8gb
        >sold out or expensive

Unless you’re trying to make a poorscrote daily driver, the 8GB model is overkill. The 2GB model works fine for most headless projects. My router is made from one of the discontinued 1GB models.

Anonymous

Man you are one pretty colosal scrote scrotebrain aren’t you?

Literally just take the advice from everyone else who’s tried this before and found it sucks as a solution.

You’re not as clever as you think you are for making this "werk". Every man and his dog who bought a R-Pi and didn’t know what to do with it when it arrived has done this.

Anonymous

I have four of those.
      I never use them and my pi-hole crashes all the time.

Anonymous

>imagine running this overprices piece of shit søytoy that has 1 (one) ethernet port as a router instead of just using a travel router with openwtr for a quarter of the price and all i need to do is plug in the cables

Anonymous

About to use it to build a pc in a pelican case.

Anonymous

>pi
      >router
      Maybe if you’re on a shitty 30/5 DOCSIS connection (like the typical American).

Anonymous

8GB B model, power supply, the cheap case, 128GB sd card runs almost 80€

anything better, small, with similar power usage in this price range? I have an old Thinkpad X200 in another place for similar tasks, need another at home here here

Anonymous

i need more

Anonymous

but it’s shit for all those things

Anonymous

I have a NUC as router/ad-blocker/firewall. My nine RPis are test beds for distributed workloads.
      I guess I do use an offsite RPI for Nagios.

Anonymous

mfw using ISP provided DSL modem and NextDNS for dns firewall

Anonymous

I’d be wary about using hardware you can’t put a real operating system on as an edge router. Most of them have trivially exploitable vulnerabilities that simply need patched but won’t be.

Anonymous

RPis are pretty woke af.

Got one running as a dns server since my router doesn’t support hairpinning, which means I just run cloudflare dynamic dns on it, and HA.

Got another running PCP + LMS with dac ssd screen as a network music streamer. Might add some UPS stuff to it.

Have an arduino that controls ws2812b LEDS that I control with my HA RPi. My own little mesh in the shared house.

Anonymous

I’d like to, but I have fiber.

Anonymous

Oh, I could just get an ethernet to usb adapter, right?
        Might buy one.

Anonymous

I did try this for a while. There are several problems.

1: It only has one ethernet connection
      > How are you supposed to do network segmentation. Even if you only want something basic, eg; one network for dev machines and one for other users in the home, you need another NIC

2: USB NICs generally suck
      > I used the 10gb/s USB ports to connect 2x gigabit USB adapters. They don’t work well, and sometimes randomly swap which one is assigned to which network.

> Trust me it’s a disaster

My solution was to buy a small (but standard atx) case, and some second hand i3 CPU off ebay plus a motherboard.

Stick an intel NIC in and you’re done.

Much better solution and it actually works with a proper router OS like pfSense. Never had any network issues with it the entire time it has been running.

Anonymous

1. It has USB ports, which you already tried…
        >They don’t work well,
        I use a USB to Ethernet adapter on my main PC, never once have I had any issues whatsoever
        >and sometimes randomly swap which one is assigned to which network.
        This is 100% your fault, if you need predictable NIC names then you have to tell the OS about that.
        https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.net-naming-scheme.html

Anonymous

>This is 100% your fault, if you need predictable NIC names then you have to tell the OS about that.

More systemd changes that benefit no one and just create more busywork and frustration to get things working.

And USB NICs are shit compared to pcie NICs for the simple reason of the latency they introduce.

Anonymous

It may or may not be possible to configure USB NICs with predictable names.

I searched how to do it and at the time I didn’t find any info on it.

I’m not saying it can’t be done I’m just saying you could waste a day doing it, during which time you would have earned enough money to just buy a proper computer to install pfSense on.

Anonymous

I did this but screw [pf,OPN]Sense, I just threw Debian on it.

Anonymous

I also like Debian, but why wouldn’t you use pfSense for a box which is ONLY a router.

What was it you didn’t like about pfSense?

Anonymous

well, first off, web interfaces are bloat. I don’t like them on anything where it’s a viable alternative to just ssh in and do things. I know you *can* do that on pfsense, but it’s apparent that it’s not designed for that to be how you use it, and they seem to discourage it. Also when I finally did it anyway I found a very foreign-seeming setup, due to the BSD base, some things being jailed, and I think some other general rearrangements to enable it to be controlled over the web interface.

So I wound up doing it myself because a general-purpose Linux is simple and something I’m already familiar with running on all my other machines. I know where everything is, and I know what the system’s doing because I did it. Backing up the system configuration is just keeping a list of which packages I installed and copies of their config files. I don’t *want* the system to be an "appliance" where I’m supposed to just click on a webpage and ignore what’s going on underneath. Because sooner or later I’m likely to have a problem or want to do something where I’ll have to know anyway. Big businesses with expensive support contracts may have a rather different view on this, they can yell at someone on the phone to fix it and they may not care if it gets fixed because this is just their day job and they have a third party to blame. I suspect this is the market that pfSense really cares about anyway.

And on that note, the pf-OPN slit over commercialization and (IIRC) some non-freeness being mooted left a bad taste in my mouth. Debian, as a project, has it’s problems, but I have a very high level of confidence that they’re going to continue existing for the foreseeable future and putting out a release every two-years-and-change that’s going to be more or less exactly what I expect it to be.

Anonymous

> web interfaces are bloat

Can your device run the web interface? Does it have enough RAM and CPU cores to do this? Most web interfaces will probably run on a linux machine with 2 gigs of ram and a single core CPU.

I’m guessing the answer to this is "yes". So stop being such an autistic scrotebrain and install a proper router OS. Your argument is bullshit.

Anonymous

Why would I install and run something that I neither need nor want just because I have computing resources to waste on running it?

Anonymous

>router
      It doesn’t come with two ethernet ports.

Anonymous

And?

Anonymous

already do.

Anonymous

>go to replace shitty rp3 with rp4 8gb
      >sold out or expensive

Anonymous

Is there a comprehensive guide to understanding and setting up something like this?

Anonymous

Imagine using some britbong fart toy and not using a real firewall/router (i.e. pfsense).

OP is and will always be a colossal scrote.

Anonymous

>router
      It requires shitty USB NICs to have more than one physical interface, it has no SFP, its encryption performance for VPN sucks, it has only one weak antenna for Wi-Fi and can’t power and control external APs.

So while I do have a Pi for pihole and backups, it’s not a replacement even for a cheapo mikrotik as far as routers go.

Anonymous

Building one into an old V32 modem as we speak, raspi will be in the power supply cage. Anyone know how to pull HDD activity out to a LED on these things?

Anonymous

>router
      my isp gives me one for free that is more powerful

>ad-blocker
      ublock origin is infinitely better

>firewall
      what is NAT
      what is build in firewall on host machine
      what are closed ports

>watchdog
      i dont even know what that is

Anonymous

>i have no idea what I’m talking about, but I sure feel smart: the post
        >believe the ISP-provided router isn’t dumbed down garbage
        >ublock origin better than network level blocking
        >not having a watchdod

Anonymous

>i have no idea what I’m talking about, but I sure feel smart: the post
          the thread*

>believe the ISP-provided router isn’t dumbed down garbage
          its better than a 10$ pi. And when you use a pi you still have to connect it to your router scrotebrain. Its not a modem. Its just a bridge mode router.

>ublock origin better than network level blocking
          its literally is. Network blocking is utterly useless. Cant block embedded ads which almost all streaming services use these days. So you’re going to have to install ublock anyway.

>not having a watchdod
          still dont know what it is. Woke af on the name im guessing its something that lets you watch network traffic. I can do that on my host pc.

Anonymous

>domain AND URL-woke af ad blocking is better than domain-only ad blocking

Yes, for web browsing it literally is better.
          The purpose of Pihole is to block ad/tracking domains for shit like smart TVs that can’t have native ad blockers.

Anonymous

I got a Protectli box for that (the unbranded version), works comfy.

Anonymous

>oh buy im too scrotebrained
      Yea. I couldn’t even figure out how to play Doom

Anonymous

Yes, I need more.

Anonymous

This is the scrotegiest shit I’ve seen in router threads

>motherboard so old it doesn’t even have USB3
        >3+ fans
        also enjoy your power bill and dust buildup

Anonymous
      Anonymous

is it possible to let pihole block youtube ads? sometimes i want to watch youtube on my TV without getting brain cancer from seeing ads.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id