Imagine coding in an office office without cubicles.

Home Forums Science & tech Imagine coding in an office office without cubicles.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Imagine coding in an office office without cubicles.
      Gives me stress just looking at the picture.

Anonymous

Are you not a teamplayer?

Anonymous

>Gives me stress
      Why
      You will never have a job there, that will never be your reality
      Do you also get stressed when you watch Marvel movies?

Anonymous

Here’s a special (you) for the for the special snowflake

Anonymous

underrated

Anonymous

>there
        if only you knew how wide spread this type shit was.

Anonymous

Woke af

Anonymous

God, I hope so. 2nd year into a lockdown/wfh. Freedom from this passive aggressive freaking hellhole is a bliss.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Everyone just sitting coding away while wearing headphones. 90% of all communication is through email or some kind of instant messenger.

Anonymous

>Hey lets all eat lunch together
        no

Anonymous

Looks like you havent worked a day in your life

Anonymous

> 90% of all communication is through email or some kind of instant messenger.
        But the whole point of those open spaces is to encourage active discussions about how to make the product better.

Anonymous

It just enables idiots on the team to spend their working day chatting and questioning everything they’ve been ask to do in order to feign productivity.

Anonymous

No, it’s to save money on office spaces.

Anonymous

I thinks it’s more a trend than saving money.
            Like those artscrotes kept complaining it looked dehumanizing or something.

Anonymous

It’s literally just saving money. Employees take up less space with only a desk they can’t keep their shit at. Being able to expand without renting office space is a big bonus, especially in expensive cities. Artscrotes moaning about it is just the justification they tell the drones.

Cubicles are easily more social, they don’t stop you from talking to people but they do let you talk without annoying people around you.

Anonymous

>Employees take up less space with only a desk
                What? Your own desk? Do you think you are the CEO, anon? We now have "smart seating" here.

Anonymous

so basically they take all the shit from communism, slap a "smart" in front of it and normies will lap it up

>bread lines
                  smart wheat
                  >commie blocks
                  smart housing
                  >rolling blackouts
                  smart grid
                  >dating apps that interfere with genetic selection
                  smart dating
                  >pocket telephone that spies on you
                  smart phone

Anonymous

Ive noticed I was waiting in line way more often in America than now that I’m here in Thailand.

Anonymous

>smart seating
                  DESPISE this shit
                  Before I went full WFH, my previous company office had this after they renovated to make the space more “open”

No space for your stuff except a line of cubbies on the wall like we were kindergarteners and telling us “haha just sit anywhere bro! Gotta collab and be flexible!

Really wht would happen is everyone kind-of had their own regular seat except sometimes you would return from the toilet/meeting room or whatever place and your desk would be taken by some dipshit either chatting to someone or just sitting around.

Worse was when you would be sick a day and then suddenly it was a big fight to get your seat back, or if a new employee showed up and stole your seat.

I remember trying to be polite at first to people but quickly realized that you would just get totally stepped on and end up with literally no where to sit as many desks would turn into garbage piles very quickly.
                  Makes working such a pain because I’d have to waste so much time posturing or arguing about seating instead of working.

Anonymous

>Overbooking
                    Capitalism does this

Anonymous

Pretty sure it’s to save money and to make sure everyone can stare at everyone else’s monitor so nobody dares do anything that isn’t strictly work to ensure "productivity" remains up. If there’s anything good that’s come of the shitty pandemic it’s that WFH has been mostly normalized.

Anonymous

Never happens
          I worked in a place like this before, managed to grab a desk with my back facing the window about 2 months in and pretty much never talked to people in the office ever.
          Any time my team wanted to discuss stuff we would meet in a meeting area (sort of lounge type spot or a big conference room)

Only people who talked in the office where women/trannies who would chatter constantly and never get their work done on time.

Anonymous

>Only people who talked in the office where women/trannies who would chatter constantly and never get their work done on time.
            God this pisses me off so damn much I do more than several of them combined and no one cares

Anonymous

Switch companies then anon

Anonymous

And what about when you scratch your balls?
        Think anon…

Anonymous

Looks like my new office. I don’t like it tbh, too many distractions.

Anonymous

noise cancelling headphones + adderall

Anonymous

This but also diazepam

Anonymous

but anon, look at how horrible and dehumanizing is to work in a cubicle. it literally destroys my artistic creativity and it disrupts my post-op transitioning

Anonymous

this would be okay if i had a view to the outside

Anonymous

how the hell did people ever start to dislike these?

Anonymous

I’ve worked in both types of offices and now in a home office.
      The open space office are honestly more for socializing and less for actual work. If your employer opts in for an open space office, they know what they’re doing, they don’t expect you to be productive, likely don’t even need you to be productive, they just want you to socialize.

Anonymous

Why do people on the internet make such a big deal of everything? I’ve worked in a
      >rooms with 1-2 teams
      >different open spaces containing a dozen or more teams
      >from home
      >in an own office away from home

It’s 80% the same as long a you work. Granted, if you fuck around, you’ll become overly concerned with
      >the environment
      >the tools
      etc.

Just get the work done, it’s barely 1/4 of your day now.

Anonymous

>windows fully open and no curtains
      >background and side light when looking at the monitor
      >eye wants to close due to the ambient light but you need it open to be able to read
      >migraine after just 1h
      >macs are literally unreadable due to their stupid glossy screen
      > noises and people talking
      > interruptions from managers pretending to work and other ppl trying to increase thrir "visibility" to compensate for their low productivity
      Valuable programmers are never going to go back to that. They are now remote, and soon the managers will also be left out of the equation.

Anonymous

you forgot
        >too noisy to make your conference calls from the desk
        >all the conf rooms are busy
        >whore in next cubicle showered in her perfrume bottle, can’t focus due to boner
        >smelly neckbeard in other cubicle
        >you need to poo, get up, walk, all stalls full, back to cubicle
        >HAVE TO FILL STUPID TIMESHEETS IN A STUPID UI

Anonymous

most social creatures prefer human contact… ok not like discors whete you have people playing sport behind your back but not like a cubicle either

Anonymous

I like human contact in an environment that isn’t hyper competitive and filled to the brim with people ready to fuck me over any mistake I make.

Anonymous

our company is forcing like 2 or 3 days per week to work from office.
      i spend these days having meetings, and if i don’t have meetings, i just chat with my coworker the entire day. i simply can’t code with people around because i am an autist who has to speak his code out loud.

Anonymous

imagine working

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

/thread

Anonymous

i code in my bedroom

Anonymous

>coding

Anonymous

I am seeing a lot of back-and-forth on this topic, but I really need to push back and raise some red flags here. Having an on-site office presence foundational to our ability to drive efficiencies in a corporate landscape. It is in our DNA. Sure, there is no ‘one size fits all’ silver bullet. MS Teams is only keeping us at a 30,000-foot-view of things. Being on-site, however, really allow us to get better granularity, find better directional-indicators, or loop back and dive deep into some critical issues on a go-forward basis.

I think if you all start spending more time in the office again, you’ll find yourself trending toward the positive, but you’ll have to keep an eye on the puck. Gut through it, reduce thrash, and let’s stay in lock-step on this. Yes, we will synergize! Given that we’ve been remote for so long it’s easy to forget the benefits of working in the office.

What’s the root cause of the hatred of corporate office spaces? I’ll put my layman’s hat on and guess that it comes from movies such as Office Space and Dilbert cartoons. But we all know that these are fictional spaces, and real office spaces allow us to touch base in a much more efficient manner.

I have to time-box this comment, as I have a hard-stop in a moment when I will have to jump onto a call. So, just one more point that I want to cover-off on: let’s socialize the idea of having more office presence and loop back to see whether we’re being more impactful. From a management standpoint, I think that we can get the traction to do it.

So, net/net, ignore the naysayers, sidebar the folks that are stuck in the weeds, and don’t waste cycles or bandwidth on folks that don’t align strongly with this mission. Try it out, and we’ll have another touch point in a little while to see if we’ve moved the needle. Remember, our north star hasn’t changed. We’re still championing our core values remotely and we will only do it better in person.

If you need me, I will be online again in a bit.

Anonymous

unlike phony old shut in capitalists like you, people actually works these days and not get BJs inside their own "personal space"

Anonymous

At my office management still gets offices. Guess they don’t need to ‘foster communication’ like the peons.

Anonymous

At my previous workplace we kinda slowly transitioned from a bunch of small offices into open plan.
      The first year it was just me and my boss together in a room, blasting Pig Destroyer and Agoraphobic Nosebleed on the stereo. It was amazing, most productive year of my life. As the team grew, we had to stop the loud music, and eventually the room was full and we had to move. Half the team went into one room, the other half into another. It kinda sucked, it’s nice being in the same room so it’s easy to draw shit on the whiteboard and discuss things.
      Eventually the project got so big (we were just one small team on it), management decided it was time to reorganize things. We got moved into a much bigger office, but we had to share it with another team. This is when things went to shit. Those people were loud and annoying, but at least now we had the entire team centered around a couple whiteboards.
      Eventually it was time to go totally open plan office mode. There wasn’t even space to have dividers between the different teams. The noise was constant and in the summer the heat got insufferable, but opening the windows meant even more noise from the outside. Air conditioning didn’t work obviously.

All these screaming idiots. Some people talking all the time. Loud skype meetings. Even my headphones couldn’t keep out the noise. Horrible.

Thanks for reading my blog, please like and subscribe.

Anonymous

>cubicles
      >not having your own office
      lmaoing at you’re life

Anonymous

>imagine not negotiating WFH permanently after corona proved it works out fine
      ngmi

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id