How would science be pursued in a libertarian society?

Home Forums Science How would science be pursued in a libertarian society?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Anonymous

It wouldn’t, everyone would be too busy tending their garden they planted in their back yards, and dreaming of the day electricity returns.

Anonymous

>how would science be pursued without roads and electricity
      lol it wouldn’t

Anonymous

itt: people who think libertarianism means anarchy

Anonymous

I basically mean that government wouldnt fund anything like science. Im not talking about anarcho capitalism

Anonymous

>Libertarianism (from French: libertaire, "libertarian"; from Latin: libertas, "freedom") is a political philosophy and movement that upholds liberty as a core principle.[1] Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and political freedom, emphasizing free association, freedom of choice, individualism and voluntary association.[2] Libertarians share a skepticism of authority and state power, but some of them diverge on the scope of their opposition to existing economic and political systems.
          Which part of this is violated by funding science?

Anonymous

Using ta payer dollars to fund it. Taxation is seen as the use of force.

Anonymous

I guess. I’m probably the only libertarian in this thread and I understand that taxes are necessary, they should just be as kept as minimal as possible. The united states has a relatively libertarian scientific system in that the funding given to scientists generally has few strings attached. If you want to see how science is funded in a non-libertarian system, look to the former USSR where scientists’ results were expected to conform to the ruling ideology

Anonymous

Wouldnt you agree though that libertarianism exists on a spectrum and so many libertarians could be completely against any public funding through taxation?

Anonymous

If you believe taxation is force, how do you justify it? Like would you rob your neighbor because you need money that you think will be good for him later?

Anonymous

If you believe murder is wrong, how do you justify war? I justify it by putting pragmatism ahead of autistic ideology.

Wouldnt you agree though that libertarianism exists on a spectrum and so many libertarians could be completely against any public funding through taxation?

Sure, there are people who believe ridiculous extremes of any ideology.

Anonymous

its not murder if its self defense. Theres a difference between a war that is meant to protect your country or an ally compared to invading another country.

Anonymous

Yes it is possible to think that killing is wrong and yet understand it to be necessary in some circumstances. Similarly, taxation — which *is* theft — is necessary for some things, it should just be kept to a minimum and spent responsibly.

Anonymous

Theft is taking someone elses property against their will? When it comes to killing, there is a pretty clear line for what is wrong and what is self defense. What is the justification for stealing someone elses property? By allowing taxation, you basically have given up everything you own. Because you admit that it is ok for the government to take things from you if it can find a justification for it.

Anonymous

Is this actually what you believe, that taxation is always wrong, or are you just trying to catch a libertarian in a trap?

Anonymous

It is always wrong. Imagine me stealing from my neighbor and putting that money in a trust for him and I justify it by saying that he will be better off with his money being in a trust. It makes little sense to think that this is in any way conducive to individual freedom. Giving the government any power over you only makes sense if you think the government is always going to be on your side. But I wonder how the garden gnomes felt under the government of Nazi Germany, or private property owners under the Soviet Union. If you think that its cool for the government to kidnap children from abusive parents, I wonder how youll feel when kids are taken by CPS when parents are against having their kids undergo trans surgery at the age of 6.

Also, the idea that the government can do its job responsibly is kinda naive.

Anonymous

Interesting. Good on you for taking a stand, I like it idealistically, but seems unsustainable pragmatically. What’s your answer to the Road Question?

Anonymous

>the road question
                        Where were going, we wont need roads.
                        But seriously, Id say if people are able to make computers and stuff on their own, Id say people could find a way to pour concrete in an efficient manner

Anonymous

For free?

Anonymous

People would be paid to do it. People will want to have commuters come to their stores and so it would just make sense to pay money to have decent roads so people can come to your place of business

Anonymous

Makes some sense in a commercial zone but who picks up the bill in residential or rural areas?

Anonymous

Not sure. But Id imagine that people would find a solution if it posed a problem for them.

Anonymous

What do you mean if? Obviously it would pose a problem. Can you think of any possible solution?
                        Like I said, good on you for recognizing that taxes are theft, but they are sadly necessary in some cases. Serious grown-up libertarianism recognizes this. The point should be to make sure they’re not being spent in retarded ways

Anonymous

The problem may not be so much with roads being built but where the roads are built. Without legality and government planning the road network would be a huge inefficiant wastefull mess.

Anonymous

This actually doesn’t bother me, I prefer the chaotic weirdness of European roads over boring American grids. I agree the problem isn’t building roads so much as maintaining them.

Anonymous

The free society won’t need roads, after all roads are an antiquated and collectivist mode of transport. Jet packs provide a superior solution to personal transportation, and one which allows the greatest level of innovation and competition in the free market.

Anonymous

reddit snark detected

Anonymous

what’s a snark?

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

Do you mean all tax or income tax? Not paying taxes is cool until a foriegn state saunters in and takes all your stuff because you have no military.

Anonymous

All taxation. Private defense companies could still exist anyways. Maybe not as efficient as the crazy expensive american military, but it likely could do enough to stop invasions.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Anonymous

Instrad of taxes you woupd pay rent or protection to a local warlord. Powerful warlords or companies would privately fund science.

Anonymous

Wealthy and interested patrons. Same as it was through most of history.

"I’m smart and I can do cool shit"
      >"Really, if I pay you can you do more cool shit that can help me do X?"
      "Sure, that sounds radical!"

Pretty much how it went down. I hope that we see that return in force today with electronic services, funnily enough including one called literally Patreon that make it easier for random people to put money in other random people’s pockets to help them do cool shit. Independently funded scientists/institutions sound lit.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.