How the hell did Google manage to take over the world? The products are mostly trash.

Home Forums Science & Tech How the hell did Google manage to take over the world? The products are mostly trash.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

How the hell did they manage to take over the world? Nothing with their logo on it works the way it should.

Anonymous

Same could be said about any big tech, anon.

Anonymous

I mean, Facebook, Netflix, Apple and to some degree even Microsoft had at least some reputation for making reliable products at some point.

Anonymous

>M$
          >reliable
          >at some point
          lol

Anonymous

Facebook in 2009 was great.

Anonymous

>How the hell did they manage to take over the world?
      Because you let them.

Anonymous

>take over the world
      they’ve just destroyed the west. China is "the world" now.

Anonymous

nigga please

Anonymous

the universe has conspired in their favor

Anonymous

nigga shut up

Anonymous

bait taken
      >Nothing with their logo on it works the way it should.
      what kind of FUD/willful ignorance is this? google has the best ecosystem hands down. gmail, drive, google maps are all #1.

Anonymous

>he didn’t include awesome-then-trash-now Search
        kek

Anonymous

holy fuck can someone titten really look like that

Anonymous

Google’s ecosystem is 3rd world tier compared to a proper one like Apple.

Anonymous

>How the hell did they manage to take over the world
      help from the pentagon. Google is basically a civilian arm of the DoD. NSA cooperation probably helped too.

Anonymous

>Nothing with their logo on it works the way it should.
      Name 3

Anonymous

>google search
        sponsor links, social medial, buy from shady reseller sites
        >google+
        no one uses it so it certainly doesnt function as a social media network, only used
        >google docs
        cant handle half the formatting that MSOffice or LibreOffice use. breaks when opening large files namely spreadsheets. failed to even remotely compete with MSOffice or 365 in a professional settings, relegated to taking people’s personal notes on their personal drive

Anonymous

>search
          Search has gone to shit because there’s too much garbage on the Internet now. Everyone’s trying to game SEO.
          >google+
          It wasn’t broken, they just failed to get users onto it because it wasn’t differentiated enough from Facebook.
          >Docs
          Google Docs is a great "Office lite" product. It’s not expected to be a substitute for Office especially for Excel users.

Anonymous

>Everyone’s trying to game SEO.
            9/10 times I have to add site:reddit.com to get anything approaching a real answer to a question. I was trying to figure out how to transfer my notes from my phone and every result on the first page without that operator added was just an advertisement masquerading as an article for poorly reviewed apps.

Anonymous

>site:reddit.com
              >not site:desuarchive.org
              ngmi

Anonymous

>not visiting the archives directly to search
                ????

Anonymous

Using google reduces load on the archive servers. I only use archive search if I need to apply other filters which google can’t do.

Anonymous

Does Google reliably index everything on the archives? I don’t even use their search other than a fallback as I don’t like being tracked by them.

Anonymous

>Does Google reliably index everything on the archives?
                      probably not but it finds what I’m looking for 90% of the time so I don’t care whether it does or not

Anonymous

>site:reddit.com
              >not site:desuarchive.org
              ngmi

I usually use Reddit for things like product reviews. If I have a tech issue I go to StackOverflow. Reddit’s own internal search is terrible, but it has an insane amount of content, so it’s great for things like that. The Excel subforum over there is also quite helpful.

Anonymous

>pixel
        >pixel buds
        >chromecast
        none of these things are even barely functional.
        never again.

Anonymous

pixel is ok with graphene

Anonymous

>pixel
          the a series is pretty based though
          all cheaper phones are worse chink crap, and all more expensive phones are overpriced memes.
          >pixel buds
          never owned these, don’t even know anyone who does, so idk.
          >chromecast
          my grandpa loves his chromecast. During the lockdown he has been using it to watch his church sermons, and it basically just werks for him. I’m pretty sure most other normies are fine with it too.

Anonymous

>pixel
            idk if I have a defective unit but it can barely handle one app at a time. ram management is aggressive as hell and shit crashes constantly. not a great time.
            >pixel buds
            great if you like earbuds that randomly decide when they work
            >Chromecast
            in my experience it’s always fine for the first 30 minutes and then it becomes unresponsive. I had to disconnect mine from power at least twice a day.

Anonymous

How tf are all your electronics broken? Do you live in the Bermuda triangle or something? You coomed on them didn’t you

Anonymous

>Google

Anonymous

>open Chrome
      >
      >it crashes
      #1 browser in the world

Anonymous

>have to install an extension to modify scroll speed in chromium

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>open thread
        >
        >it sucks
        #1 post in the board.

Anonymous

>using chrome on Android
        >accidentally end up with more than 100 tabs open
        >think, "Hmm, I should close these"
        >press the tab overview button
        >it freezes and crashes every single time without failure
        >can’t access the "close all tabs" button without getting through the tab overview
        >start closing tabs one by one
        >chrome crashes when you close them too rapidly
        >figure, fuck it, start tab hoarding because the browser won’t let me do anything else
        >rack up so many tabs the phone itself becomes noticably laggy
        >eventually just have to reset everything just to make the phone usable again
        lovely

Anonymous

I used to use a freetard mapping application (osmand+) and it was complete shit, often taking me on loops and making me miss my destination. Google maps mainly just werks and even when it doesn’t work (e.g. road closure) all I have to do is submit a negative feedback and they have it fixed by the time I go back there next time.

Anonymous

They provide normies with seemingly free and easy to use services that *literally* just werk. Their search does some ai data mining dark magic so that the result i was looking for is usually one of the top 5. Youtube always manages to recommend me stuff i would be interested in. maps just works. docs just works. email just works. etc etc. Of course they track you to the point where they know more about you than you know about yourself, and this tracking and ad targeting are probably the biggest reason the internet today is absolute garbage, but normies don’t give a crap about that as long as it works and its "free".

Anonymous

>maps just works
        maps has gotten progressively shittier since the day it was made
        all google does is remove features and slow it down, and add more advertisements of course. them now choosing routes via fuel efficiency rather than speed is hilarious
        pretty sure even normies would leave it if any competitor had half as good ability to figure out where addresses are

Anonymous

>them now choosing routes via fuel efficiency rather than speed is hilarious
          this is a good thing, I’m getting paid more from my boss to save my own fuel.
          t. pizza delivery

Anonymous

bump bump bump bump bump

Anonymous

you kept buying their shit. You kept consuming. You gobbled it all up.

And now… well… welcome, to brave new world. No refunds. No returns.

Anonymous

>And now… well… welcome, to brave new world. No refunds. No returns.
        this. welcome to BRAVE new world. please do the needful sirs.

Anonymous

>Nothing with their logo on it works the way it should
      They got really big really fast and did their best early on to insulate themselves from having to interact with the outside world when things go wrong, and giving their users the same expectations

Anonymous

Because it’s hard to comprehend how terrible other search engines were before this existed.
      Every search engine wanted to be a "portal", so that meant they filled their page up with hundreds of links and images and their search algorithms were basically just word counts that were highly vulnerable to keyword stuffing. When google came out it was a huge breath of fresh air and they didn’t have any other products, so it was literally just a page for finding what you wanted.

Anonymous

it’s was a marketing company spawned at the perfect time and has ridden this launch of two/three products off into the sunset. it’s just that the marketing was word of mouth (invitations to gmail) and done via unsuspecting nerds who wanted to associate with being serviced with efficiency & accuracy not luxury. It’s all thanks to us unwitting nerds who gave this brand’s scale advantage another network advantage and this is now known to be an unstoppable feedback loop.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.