How the fuck do people code all day? Or at least for 8+ hours?

Home Forums Science & tech How the fuck do people code all day? Or at least for 8+ hours?

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

How the fuck do people code all day? Or at least for 8+ hours?

After around 4 hours of cumulative intense focus, my brain feels like mush.
      And whenever I’m not intensely focused on my work, my productivity is essentially zero.

Seriously, how do they do it?
      Are they lying?
      Are they exaggerating?
      Are they just doing unproductive & inefficient work?

Anonymous

I have no idea I take adderall to cope

Anonymous

Damn.

Anonymous

Same here but I drink more coffee than I take Adderall

Anonymous

Not sure about you, but you might find the answer by organizing your life, including your work tasks a bit better. For me, I’ve used Org Mode in Emacs to organize my thoughts, and how I approach programming projects. If you create related prompts and write down your thoughts about what you want to achieve, you can then think about the "how" by looking at reference snippets, or documentation.

Its all about a good workflow with documentation, a REPL shell of whatever language you’re working with (JS, Python, etc), and keeping your eye on the prize. Also, reward yourself every week or month for staying on target.

Works for me. This is coming from someone who kept getting BTFO’d as someone who "just did tech support", but I’ve proved all those freaking recruiters wrong, time and time again. I am getting closer to finally doing Dev, but it takes Nuts Of Steel and a good work ethic, Anon.

Get it, or stay behind.

Anonymous

>getting closer to finally doing Dev
        Thank God I’m a doer and not a worrier. How can you even survive when you keep putting easy stuff on pedistals?

Anonymous

Sounds like you need to spend more time designing before you start coding. You shouldn’t be solving problems and figuring out how things are going to work on the fly. Figuring out how to do this data join or this minor algorithm efficiently, sure, but that becomes almost muscle memory after a while. The real mentally tasking problems of "how is this component going to interact with the larger system and what kind of interfaces and workflows will reduce the risk of timing dependency" come before you put keypress to code.

A full day of coding is a breeze unless your design bonked up and you find yourself having to balance a house of cards. At which point just don’t. It’s going to come crashing down. No maybes about it.

Anonymous

Once you’re in the zone, you’re just locked in

Anonymous

they not do

Anonymous

4 hours is limit for 1 day

Anonymous

4 hours of using my brain is my limit
        but i can do brainless busywork all day long

they not do

i’m starting to believe this
        i need to do more research

Anonymous

I never code all day, maybe 2 hours tops.

Anonymous

I do maybe two hours of real work a day

t. I should be fired

Anonymous

Protip: they probably already know (or have a good hunch). They have no plan of firing you or even pursuing the issue because of an "if it ain’t broke" mentality. Nobody’s complained, stuff gets done, hiring talent is hard and risky. Why push away 25% of a decent employee when you need all the talent you can get your hands on?

Just don’t make enemies. And hope the company doesn’t start making generic cutbacks.

Anonymous

I do 2 hours a WEEK. There was 2 entire months on which I did absolutely nothing.

Anonymous

Woke af

Anonymous

And fuckers like you get the job, while the real Chads like me have to deal with Karens gatekeeping shit away. I honestly freaking hate Zoomers like you. Too many Tyrones these days, not enough actual decent workers.

Anonymous

Maybe you’re just freaking stupid.

Anonymous

>not enough actual decent workers
            You misunderstand. If someone spends 2 hours a week working, and they have yet to be fired for failing to meet deadlines, they are not a bad worker. They are, in fact, highly efficient and finishing tasks quicker than anticipated. Hypothetically, they could be given more tasks, but if they are not doing more work, that is the fault of management.

You might think that such a worker should ask for more work. Well, as a PhD student, I’ll offer my advice to anyone who wants to know how to enjoy a good work/life balance… NEVER LET ANYONE THINK YOU HAVE FREE TIME.

Anonymous

Nobody is a "decent worker" for more than 2 weeks, maybe 2 months if it’s a serious job

Anonymous

>chads
            >karens
            >zoomers
            >tyrones
            jeez, go outside for 5 minutes please

Anonymous

i did and it was even worse out there. internet poisoning strikes hardest against normies.

Anonymous

If it is a project I am invested in I can code for hours on end. If it is some tedious menial task I can barely scrape 10 minutes together.
      The secret is flow.

Anonymous

I already sat in a computer for 8~16hrs a day before anyway, so nothing’s changed except that I make money now.

Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/z3XM9Kt.gif

I think about Japanese culture while I zone out and let.the monke side of me handle the menial bullshit.

Anonymous

Working yourself to death through menial bullshit IS Japanese culture. Why fantasize when you can live the life?

Anonymous

I was an accountant for a bit, stare at a screen all day long doing basically mindless work. I couldn’t keep doing it. I actually don’t even know how someone can do it all day. things that "turn your mind to mush" are actually much better. at least you have to solve something

Anonymous

one thing to keep in mind is even if you can’t work as hard, it’s still possible to come up with a solution that is worth more than a lot of the work that they do

Anonymous

Mindfulness Meditation helps, srs

Anonymous

Are you not allowed to to breaks? In the US it’s a legal right.

Anonymous

It’s mostly trying ideas and googling.
      Read think of another idea, see if that works, see if it doesn’t, etc…
      I’m not a professional though.

Anonymous

Vyvanse. It’s my key to not being fired from my scroteman position

Anonymous

lol, woke af

Are you not allowed to to breaks? In the US it’s a legal right.

i’m not even employed yet
        i’m currently learning while building projects
        i just feel like there’s a point where my efficiency & productivity starts to harshly diminish

I never code all day, maybe 2 hours tops.

i see
        how "intense"/focussed are those 2 hours?
        i top out at 4 hours, but i average at around 1.5-2

Anonymous

>how "intense"/focussed are those 2 hours?
          >i top out at 4 hours, but i average at around 1.5-2

Focused enough I don’t constantly look at my phone or get distracted. I sit, work for about 30 min, then walk to the bathroom, grab some water, change the music, sit again for 30-40 min, again take a short break, work another 30-40 min. Usually that’s all it takes to keep up with actual work in corporate environment, the rest is meetings and busywork. Overall while wfh I don’t "work" more than 5 hours a day.

Anonymous

its called a lunch break and for coders its usually an hour

Anonymous

I’ve done >24 (probably around 36) hours straight with no drugs or even coffee. Most of that time was spent debugging a single bug in my OpenGL code. Or rather, I wasn’t sure whether the problem was in my .obj loader, the vertex order, or what. It ended up being the way I was exporting from blender since this was before the UI change and I didn’t know how to do shit so I was freaking it up and exporting as quads (was working on a somewhat voxel like world) when I only supported triangles in the model. I basically kept telling myself that I’d go to sleep right after I fixed it and it’d just take 5 more minutes. After a while I stopped being tired so just kept going on. Basically just work on something you’re actually passionate about then you should be able to do it fairly easily.

Anonymous

>How the fuck do people code all day? Or at least for 8+ hours?
      We don’t! A lot of the day is spent either slacking off or in meetings. If you’re trying to code for 8+ hours continuously, consider taking some breaks, especially when your brain starts feeling like it’s going to turn to mush. Burnout will make your performance much worse.

Also, don’t go chugging energy drinks or amphetamines. Your health is much more important than whatever it is you’re developing.

Anonymous

We don’t, we have meetings, breaks, emails, more meetings, etc.

I work 10 hour days full remote and hate scrotes

Anonymous

I think you only work that long when you’re in a flow state where you only think of the things you want to implement because it would be cool to do so. once you start hitting walls you should take breaks because your the longer you bang your head against the wall for a solution less likely you are gonna find it. take time to clear your head and brainstorm things while taking a dump and you may be able to see a path. once you think this will work try it and if you feel like mush again take another break.
      I am in the learning process right now (Java) and taking breaks has rendered me more efficient than when I tried to force myself into solving those problems. I think sleeping is very important too, I’ve been sleep deprived for a week now (shitty bed) and it’s making my head go mushy quickly.

Anonymous

>i have four ideas to make my program better
        >i have planned out how would i implement them, its brilliant
        >start with idea 1
        >find a wall right as im about to finish implementing it
        >turns out, my logic is all shit from the very bottom
        >redo idea 1
        >stumble upon walls as i realize how stupid i am
        >finally, idea 1 is implemented and works
        >program has idea 1 and nothing else, shit worked fine from the beginning idea 1 is more than sufficient, my team and my boss likes it so ideas 2-4 can go fuck themselves
        I Hate Technology

Anonymous

I am not talking about sucking your bosses dick. you do all the cool stuff on projects which are not part of your job since your boss is not in love with code as you do.

Anonymous

Ritalin here

Anonymous

I dunno, it just came naturally
      Pretty sure I’m burnt out now, though, haven’t touched my projects and am only doing the bare minimum in months
      can’t recommend

Anonymous

insanity determination, i’ve spent probably like 12 hours on some projects even if its just rapid speed spaghetti code.
      but it’s mostly as a hobby and for pleasure, i can’t imagine sitting in an office doing it. i like to be in my zone and do it at my pace. knowing there’s a clock and someone watching would fuck me up.
      usually if i feel the Mush i take a day break or several, but even i have other shit i work on for days at a time, so my mush just gets pushed around in the brain…
      probably some mental illness

Anonymous

Spread out your work my man. I know you might be autistic and you actually want to work all the hours you’re assigned to, but normalscrotes don’t. You have to learn how to bullshit and socialize with coworkers. That’s how you get promoted and move up.

Anonymous

>be me, overpaid new hire dev
      >only me and one other dev (my manager) in department
      >manager is old as fuck
      >current software product is old as fuck too, needs massive overhaul (why I was hired)
      >get assigned super vague tasks by manager
      >do like 30 minutes of "work" a day, if that
      >have biweekly "stand-ups" with manager about progess, 99% of it is him just sharing more ideas of what we can do in months/years time to improve software
      >never really asks about progress I’ve been making
      >manager shields me from upper management whenever progess is brought up

How the fuck do I break out of this cycle and actually be productive? I’m gonna get freaking fired I swear but I can’t stop procrastinating when there’s been 0 consequences.

Anonymous

>Having a comfy job
        >Blowing it this much
        You people have it too good.

Anonymous

You don’t do 4 straight hours, that’s how.

Work for 1 hour, take a 5 minute break (if you’re in an office, go hang out in the kitchen and get a coffee or something). Then work for another hour, and take another break. So on and so fourth. You have to find the cadence that works for you.

Personally I go hard from 9-11, and then again from 3:45-4:45. That seems to be enough to perform slightly above the average developer.

Anonymous

>about 30 minutes of actual thinking and writing (read: looking up pre-written solutions online and copypasting) spaced between seven and a half hours on coffee breaks
      It’s not the 90s anymore, nerd.

Anonymous

Modafinil + 200mg caffeine. I numb myself from everything and code from 10AM to 6PM, eat a little and then from 7PM to 12AM. I watch some anime and just pass out at 2AM. Haven’t wanked in over a month because I can’t. Only writing code makes me happy.

Anonymous

because coding is a brainless activity

Anonymous

Eventually you get into The Zone where the only sense of time passing is the hour number on the clock keeps changing

Anonymous

Lots of coffee.

Anonymous

Adderall coffee and cigarettes

Anonymous

at work the job is so easy that i just turn off my brain so im basically half asleep. At home i get into the zone and end up programming 50 hours straight before realizing it and forget to eat

Anonymous

i can code for an endless amount of time if i know what i’m doing
      but after around 2 hours of learning something new, my brain feels like it’s freaking melting

i’m currently learning how to build web applications with django, and the mental exhaustion of learning all this new information is very burdensome

learning and absorbing new information is much more difficult than regurgitating code that you’ve spent months/years effectively memorizing through repetition

Anonymous

> get remote job
      > do 4 hours work
      > get paid for 8
      It’s that simple!

Anonymous

I do around 2 hours of actual programming a day
      I even told my boss and he told me I was counting wrong

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
startno id